PDA

View Full Version : Phillips wonders about future

Ron Madden
01-31-2011, 01:25 PM
What do you think about Bradon's future with the Cincinnati Reds?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

camisadelgolf
01-31-2011, 01:26 PM
I think they'll find a way to keep him around, even if they have to overpay. He means too much to the team right now unless Zack Cozart forces himself into the lineup somehow.

RedsBaron
01-31-2011, 01:38 PM
What do you think about Bradon's future?

It's in front of him.

Ron Madden
01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
It's in front of him. :beerme:

Jpup
01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
I think it will be hard for the Reds to find a team that wants to pay Phillips 11 or 12 million per year. I'd trade him, but I can't see the Reds getting fair value without sending a bunch of money with him.

RedsManRick
01-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Phillips is a very good player, but I don't think it would be wise for the Reds to pay him market value during his decline phase. It's not that he would be overpaid, per se', but that the Reds can't afford to pay market value at every position and are particularly deep with solid 2B prospects. I'd rather have that money to spend elsewhere.

mth123
01-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Phillips is a very good player, but I don't think it would be wise for the Reds to pay him market value during his decline phase. It's not that he would be overpaid, per se', but that the Reds can't afford to pay market value at every position and are particularly deep with solid 2B prospects. I'd rather have that money to spend elsewhere.

I don't think the Reds are that deep in 2B prospects and until Hamilton comes along, they will take a severe drop in production from Phillips to the others. I'd try to parlay next year's $12 Million option into a 2 year extension and hope that Hamilton will be ready in 2014. The Reds middle infield depth still looks like a bunch of hitters who can't defend and defenders who can't hit from here. I think Cozart could be a passable offense/defense combo at SS, but beyond him I'm just not convinced.

hebroncougar
01-31-2011, 07:46 PM

This.......I did find it rather humorous that Fay went out of his way to make sure he said "I'm not saying the Reds should trade him", was it Phillips who got his feelings hurt last year when Fay didn't do an interview on him right away in Spring Training? I like Phillips, but paying him $10 million + is insane on the Reds budget.

camisadelgolf
01-31-2011, 07:49 PM
The Reds can afford Phillips in 2012. 2013? A lot of things would need to happen to make that work.

Mario-Rijo
01-31-2011, 08:39 PM
His defense no doubt would be tough to replace but unless he completes the transformation he started early last season at the plate (and in the 2nd half didn't stick with) his defense will continue to slowly worsen and he won't be worth the money beyond his current deal. The man has great talent, but also has some serious stubborn qualities that forbid him from improving his game, I can't back giving another big contract to a guy like that. This year should tell the tale on whether or not his transformation will continue or cease, if it's the former you accept the option if it's the latter you got to consider declining it if you can't deal him.

Phillips - .275/.332/.430 - 18 HR, 33 Doubles, 16 SB, 12 CS
Cozart - .255/.310/.416 - 17 HR, 30 Doubles, 30 SB, 4 CS

I know it's the minor leagues but frankly Cozart is a very similar player and though I suspect he doesn't quite have the talent Brandon does, the difference isn't worth a multi year contract at this juncture. Especially when you consider Cozarts defense is likely to be pretty doggone good himself and he was playing at a place much tougher to hit HR's.

mdccclxix
01-31-2011, 09:40 PM

I agree, although I'm not sure what his market value will be after 2011 when it's time to restructure that 12 million for 2012 and beyond. Phillips, like Bruce, has said repeatedly that he wants to be in Cincinnati for a long time. I think he can produce until he's 35 or 36, which is basically 2015 or 2016.

2b seems to be a production friendly spot, although that doesn't stop people from wearying on 30+ guys like Hudson or Sanchez. I really think Phillips is somewhere in the mix with these guys below, perhaps right in the middle. I think 2-3 WAR a year is likely for him.

Orlando Hudson:
30 y/o - 1.5 WAR
31 y/o - 2.9 WAR
32 y/o - 3.1 WAR

Figgins:
30 - 2.7
31 - 6.1
32 - .6

Polanco
30 - 5.4
31 - 1.2
32 - 5.2
33 - 2.8
34 - 3.1
35 - 3.7

Sanchez
30 - .8
31 - 1.8
32 - 2.7

Phillips is already not that fast. If he can craft his way forward without getting injured, I think he has the talent to continue a .275/.335/.425 line with great D for quite some time. At 5-8 million a year, it's worth it. It's also pretty darn replaceable.

WVRedsFan
01-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Brandon will be 30 years old on June 26th. If the Reds pick up the option, in his final year, he'd only be 31 with 2 or three good years left. I imagine the Reds will find a way to keep him here until 2015 providing he plays well.

RedsManRick
01-31-2011, 11:00 PM
Phillips is already not that fast. If he can craft his way forward without getting injured, I think he has the talent to continue a .275/.335/.425 line with great D for quite some time. At 5-8 million a year, it's worth it. It's also pretty darn replaceable.

Wins in free agency went for ~$5M this offseason. PThere is relatively little chance Phillips gets significantly better moving forward. There is a very real chance he declines. The average rate of decline is about 0.5 wins per year. Let's call it 8 wins over the next 3 years and that's worth $40M.

Phillips will make $11.25M in 2011. He will thus most likely earn every penny. If the Reds don't pick up his 2012 contract, he will earn something north of $10M. Phillips knows this. The Reds know this. There's absolutely no way he resigns for an AAV less than his currently salary.

But it's not about that. It's about how the Reds can best allocate their available payroll down the road. With all of these long term deals, the Reds are starting to build a pretty high salary floor. I have no problems with Phillips this year or next. But I don't think Phillips is going to take a short-term extension (say through 2014) that takes him in to his early-mid 30's. There is simply too much risk that he declines quickly and loses the opportunity to cash in. 2013 likely represents his last chance at a big payday - a 5/60 type payday. While I'm happy to see the Reds pay him his fair value this year and next, I'd not want to have such a big commitment beyond that to a player on the wrong side of 30 at a position where guys don't tend to age well.

Hudson just finished his age 32 season and while he's still a contributor, he's not nearly the guy he was at 29. Robbie Alomar and Ryne Sandberg both fell off a cliff at 34 -- and those are two of the best of all time. Few have the success of Jeter or Utley. Given how much of Phillips' value comes from his defensive range and ability to crush a fastball from a lefty, I don't think he's going to age well.

mth123
01-31-2011, 11:17 PM
Phillips situation is one of the reasons that I think this is the year to go for it and after 2012 the team will start going backward. 2013 will be when the Reds begin losing players from the current roster and the next wave of minor leaguers are a downgrade.

The deal that Arroyo got should have gone to Phillips. By 2013 the backfills for the rotation should be able to replace Arroyo, but I don't see a backfill to replace Phillips or Rolen. With the big raises already commited, I doubt that there will be money to go get a replacement.

fearofpopvol1
02-01-2011, 01:40 AM
His defense no doubt would be tough to replace but unless he completes the transformation he started early last season at the plate (and in the 2nd half didn't stick with) his defense will continue to slowly worsen and he won't be worth the money beyond his current deal. The man has great talent, but also has some serious stubborn qualities that forbid him from improving his game, I can't back giving another big contract to a guy like that. This year should tell the tale on whether or not his transformation will continue or cease, if it's the former you accept the option if it's the latter you got to consider declining it if you can't deal him.

Phillips - .275/.332/.430 - 18 HR, 33 Doubles, 16 SB, 12 CS
Cozart - .255/.310/.416 - 17 HR, 30 Doubles, 30 SB, 4 CS

I know it's the minor leagues but frankly Cozart is a very similar player and though I suspect he doesn't quite have the talent Brandon does, the difference isn't worth a multi year contract at this juncture. Especially when you consider Cozarts defense is likely to be pretty doggone good himself and he was playing at a place much tougher to hit HR's.

Don't forget, Phillips played injured for most of last year. No telling what he would've been had his hand not been badly injured.

mdccclxix
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Wins in free agency went for ~$5M this offseason. PThere is relatively little chance Phillips gets significantly better moving forward. There is a very real chance he declines. The average rate of decline is about 0.5 wins per year. Let's call it 8 wins over the next 3 years and that's worth $40M.

Phillips will make $11.25M in 2011. He will thus most likely earn every penny. If the Reds don't pick up his 2012 contract, he will earn something north of $10M. Phillips knows this. The Reds know this. There's absolutely no way he resigns for an AAV less than his currently salary.

But it's not about that. It's about how the Reds can best allocate their available payroll down the road. With all of these long term deals, the Reds are starting to build a pretty high salary floor. I have no problems with Phillips this year or next. But I don't think Phillips is going to take a short-term extension (say through 2014) that takes him in to his early-mid 30's. There is simply too much risk that he declines quickly and loses the opportunity to cash in. 2013 likely represents his last chance at a big payday - a 5/60 type payday. While I'm happy to see the Reds pay him his fair value this year and next, I'd not want to have such a big commitment beyond that to a player on the wrong side of 30 at a position where guys don't tend to age well.

Hudson just finished his age 32 season and while he's still a contributor, he's not nearly the guy he was at 29. Robbie Alomar and Ryne Sandberg both fell off a cliff at 34 -- and those are two of the best of all time. Few have the success of Jeter or Utley. Given how much of Phillips' value comes from his defensive range and ability to crush a fastball from a lefty, I don't think he's going to age well.

I can't argue with anything you say. I don't have a strong feel for what he'll be worth, although we know Walt to be both fair and resourceful. It is possible he would get a below market deal for Phillips if he added years, which would help both sides. I don't know if it's the position, but 2b seems to be a spot where you can have an average bat and play solid defense and still accumulate decent WAR. From some of the examples above, many high level 2b have had good to great years in their early to mid 30's. Looking at it from Phillips perspective, you're right he will want that 5 year deal, I'm not sure the Reds can offer that. I'm also not sure other teams would want to offer that because 2b is not a big ticket position. It's a ways off...right now, my perspective is one of loyalty and respect for Phillips career and talent. I think it will be worth finding a way to keep him if it's affordable and up til he's 35. Perhaps 4 years, 30 mil would end up possible? I have no idea what the commitments to all our core will be in 2012-2016. Of course, the Votto contract will be the biggest factor. I can see why Brandon is wondering about his future too!

Ron Madden
02-01-2011, 03:07 AM

I tend to agree with RMR here.

redsfandan
02-01-2011, 06:08 AM
While they haven't done it yet I've never doubted that the Reds would pick up his 2012 option. And I think that, with Walt at the wheel, an extension is possible. A team friendly one too. But, I don't think I'd want more than 1-2 years added. They need him until one of the prospects is actually ready to takeover or Phillips declines too much. I think the prospects have a ways to go. And it's hard to predict exactly when 'too much' will happen but adding only 1-2 years doesn't seem that risky to me.

But, this doesn't have to be decided now. I think any extension won't come until after the 2011 season and will depend on how those prospects do in the meantime.

_Sir_Charles_
02-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Personally, I see Brandon retiring as a Red. I don't see much in the pipeline to replace him, and while some point to him reaching a decline phase, I see him as still on the rise. He's looked better each of the past few years IMO. It's hard to see that based on the numbers last season but he was held back quite a bit by his injured hand most of the year. For a team that's focusing mostly on pitching and defense...Brandon is a VERY key cog to that formula. I fully expect us to sign him to an extension next off season...and other than Fay, Brandon seems to really like it in Cincy and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him leap at a smaller but longer contract.

TheNext44
02-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Orlando Hudson is a near perfect comp for Phillips, and he's been able to get around $5M a season on the open market. Phillips might get a tick more, but not much more.

I could see his agent understanding this and working out a very friendly extention next offseason, maybe around 4 years $22M.

lollipopcurve
02-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Two things Phillips needs to do to get an extension from the Reds (and maybe even get the 2012 option picked up):

1. Show he's willing to work hard on his physical conditioning so that any natural decline is postponed -- and any natural peak is extended. (See Jocketty's comments re: Cueto's conditioning and work ethic vis-a-vis his LTC.) We know Phillips takes lots of groundballs and doesn't drink. Good, helpful stuff. But I think he's got to go beyond that. Come into camp "in the best shape of his life," so to speak. To a certain extent, he has already recognized he can't just rely on "talent." Gradually, he has honed his situational skills to where he is fundamentally a pretty sound player. More important stuff there. But he ain't getting any younger, and he's a guy whose value is still tied to his legs, to a certain degree. That's no. 1.
2. Give the team a hometown discount. That's the reality. If he loves it as much as he says, he'll be willing to help the team on that front.

I think the team is in wait-and-see mode on BP. Very good player, for sure -- better than whoever might be next at 2B in the near term -- but Jocketty has a history of filling in with cheaper guys at that position, and I could see him moving in that direction again.

camisadelgolf
02-01-2011, 12:41 PM
To be fair, the O-Dog is a little older than BP. I think BP could be worth almost twice as much on the open market. Speaking of markets, BP is more marketable, so that could help him earn some extra dough.

Blitz Dorsey
02-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I think the Reds will definitely pick up the $12 million option next season (2012). That is a bit much for what BP brings to the table, but for one year they'll do it.

However, I also think they will look to trade him if the right deal pops up. I get the feeling that BP is not a part of Jocketty's long-term plans. I'll be surprised if BP ends up signing another LTC with the Reds. So, IMO, we'll have BP around for two more years max.

MartyFan
02-01-2011, 01:36 PM
I think the Reds will trade him...a package deal of he and Homer Bailey could return a lot of young and developing talent.

Who is the kid in the minors that plays 2b? I think some of the questions about BP being in a Reds uni could rest on his progress.

Also, couldn't Rent and Cairo handle 2B? I know we'd be losing BP's bat and he is a Gold Glover but could they offer enough production at the position with their salaries to justify moving BP?

mdccclxix
02-01-2011, 01:48 PM
Don't forget, Phillips played injured for most of last year. No telling what he would've been had his hand not been badly injured.

He also had some leg issues which led to SB decline. I think if he takes care of himself and avoids in season injury (which he plays through all the time) he can still bust out 20/20 or even 25/25 this year or next. Perhaps his hand injury caused some power decline.

Edd Roush
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Who is the kid in the minors that plays 2b? I think some of the questions about BP being in a Reds uni could rest on his progress.

Are you talking about Valaika? I would be fine with him taking over at 2B in 2012 if he can show over a full season in AAA that he can take a walk. No one with a .300+BA (.304) should have only a .330 OBP. His defense is also significantly behind Phillips (which could be said about almost all other 2B in the big leagues).

2011 will be a big proving grounds in Louisville and hopefully will provide WJ with too many answers for too few problems. Alonso, Valaika, Cozart, Francisco, Mesoraco, Sappelt, Barton and Hermida are all guys who should start every day down in AAA and with the right kind of season should be pressing for every day work in the bigs in 2012.

Valaika could provide the Reds huge cost savings at 2B next year if he can learn how to take a walk.

corkedbat
02-01-2011, 03:20 PM
He also had some leg issues which led to SB decline. I think if he takes care of himself and avoids in season injury (which he plays through all the time) he can still bust out 20/20 or even 25/25 this year or next. Perhaps his hand injury caused some power decline.

I was not one of BP's biggest fans but have come around quite a bit in the last year. That said though, I think there are several factors involved whe you talk of re-upping him or even picking up his option.

Needs elsewhere. The Reds are going to need a replacement at 3B for Rolen and could use a better bat in LF. Hopefully they can find in-house answers for both, but as it is, there aren't apparent repalcements for either.

In addition to talent needs, there are the financial needs. There is the Votto solution to face as we get to a decision on BP as well as Stubbs and a couple of members of the pitching staff. Can the Reds affor to spend market on Brandon when they might spread it among two or three younger guys?

MI prospect development. Cozart, Negron, Greorious, HRod, Hamilton, Torryes, Puckett - all play decent defense, have decent speed and have the potential to bat in the top two spots in the lineup. Several have the potential to match Phillips in terms of OBP and in the case of Puckett, might even be able to match his power output. Who steps to the front of this group and how much they improve in the next year of two will go a long way toward the decision on BP.

BP himself. I agree with those that believe BP's wrist injury may have been as big a factor in his second half regression as his approach. Qustion now is, can he pick up that positive plate approach again even build on it? IMO, BP can be worth his option is he is being selective and OBPing north of .330. A hacking mass below.330? Not so much.

BP now gives us power potential above the average 2B. Hopefully, Mesoraco and or Grandal can replace some of that production and someone in LF (Yorman?) can replace more. If we can find a 2B and SS from the prospects listed above who can give us solid defense (not even up to BP's high standards), and can OBP enough for at least one of the MI pair to bat at the top of the lineup, I think we can still be very successful post-Phillips.

In fact, If I were looking to replace Phillips, I would look to do it be adding a solid all-around 3B porspect. As a matter of fact, that would be my number one target outside the organization then next 2-3 years. I don't think we'll be in a position to draft a top hot corner the next two or three years, And I don't see Francisco (defense) or Frazier (offense/defense) as more than stop-gap answers.

I would probably keep Brandon this season and if I need a bridge to the next generation of middle infielders I might pick up the option for 2012, but I would be open to dealing him for the right return the entire time. I would not by anym eans extend Phillips for anything beyond $12M. The only way I see him being here in 2013 or beyond is if he sees that his value on the open market is not what he hoped and he accepts an agreement that trades dollars for years (not likely, IMO).

mdccclxix
02-01-2011, 03:41 PM
BP himself. I agree with those that believe BP's wrist injury may have been as big a factor in his second half regression as his approach. Qustion now is, can he pick up that positive plate approach again even build on it? IMO, BP can be worth his option is he is being selective and OBPing north of .330. A hacking mass below.330? Not so much.

I would probably keep Brandon this season and if I need a bridge to the next generation of middle infielders I might pick up the option for 2012, but I would be open to dealing him for the right return the entire time. I would not by anym eans extend Phillips for anything beyond $12M. The only way I see him being here in 2013 or beyond is if he sees that his value on the open market is not what he hoped and he accepts an agreement that trades dollars for years (not likely, IMO).

I put my money on BP's talent, pedigree, and determination. He can do quite a range of things at the plate and I think he'll always work to succeed at what he's asked to do. Last year was a full display of that. Give him a year of health and a defined role and I think we'll see a consistent, productive player.

Lot's can happen in the next year or two, but I agree many MI prospects could heat Phillips seat soon. Then again, many thought Arroyo was done when he got 2 more years from Walt.

TheNext44
02-01-2011, 04:14 PM
To be fair, the O-Dog is a little older than BP. I think BP could be worth almost twice as much on the open market. Speaking of markets, BP is more marketable, so that could help him earn some extra dough.

At the same age, 29, in a better market in 2008, Hudson got $6M a season. He got injured, and then got $3M as a free agent the next year. Then $5M a season A's a free agent when he proved he was healthy.

While Phillips can earn $10M a season, I don't think he gets it on the open market.

KronoRed
02-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Phillips' numbers the last three years are almost right in line with each other, he is what he is, not worth 10 or 12 million IMO.

Homer Bailey
02-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Phillips' numbers the last three years are almost right in line with each other, he is what he is, not worth 10 or 12 million IMO.

Phillips averaged a 3.33 WAR over the last seasons, which would indicate he'd be worth about $13M per season.

pedro
02-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Phillips averaged a 3.33 WAR over the last seasons, which would indicate he'd be worth about $13M per season.

In a vacuum yes, but a team such as the reds can not afford to pay the prevailing rate for each WAR at every position. If they can get half that WAR for a significantly lower salary, it has to be considered.

Homer Bailey
02-01-2011, 06:09 PM
In a vacuum yes, but a team such as the reds can not afford to pay the prevailing rate for each WAR at every position. If they can get half that WAR for a significantly lower salary, it has to be considered.

I agree. Within the Reds financial constraints, I can see how some would consider Phillips to not be worth the money, and in hindsight, I'm guessing that is what Krono meant.

westofyou
02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Often nothing ages worse than a low walk/speed guy with a glove.

IE: Don't pay for something that will diminish in value during the lifetime of the contract.

mdccclxix
02-01-2011, 06:42 PM

IE: Don't pay for something that will diminish in value during the lifetime of the contract.

Hairston and Eckstein both posted WAR's around 2 last year while walking at a similar rate to Phillips. Sanchez posted a 2.7 WAR as well. I doesn't sound like a bad rule of thumb, but it may not apply to Phillips. Also, I would not say his game is based on speed that much. He was hobbled much of the season and still put up 4 WAR.

Homer Bailey
02-01-2011, 06:45 PM

While I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying, I absolutely do not consider Phillips a speed guy. I think his speed is vastly overrated. Still like him overall as a player.

westofyou
02-01-2011, 09:37 PM
While I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying, I absolutely do not consider Phillips a speed guy. I think his speed is vastly overrated. Still like him overall as a player.
"Speed" as in he's that's part of the game his arb would be based around, sure he's not Maury Wills, but he's not Frank Howard either, he will be lumped in that group when contract time and scouting time intersect.

While I think he's a "good" player as well, I worry about his future cost, and I consider the salary scale for his position, which is top heavy in the power department.

I agree like others that his worth will soon tax the teams budget, and lets note that on Jocketty/LaRussa teams the position (2B) was a transient position, mostly because as I see it unless he's something out of this world a second baseman is not a big ticket player in the small markets.

westofyou
02-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Hairston and Eckstein both posted WAR's around 2 last year while walking at a similar rate to Phillips. Sanchez posted a 2.7 WAR as well. I doesn't sound like a bad rule of thumb, but it may not apply to Phillips. Also, I would not say his game is based on speed that much. He was hobbled much of the season and still put up 4 WAR.
It's not all walks, it's every aspect of his game that gets translated into salary demands come contract time. One has to decide if teh Reds have a 90 million dollar budget (way generous) how many of the players on the team can grab say...50 Million of that.

It's then you ask if the player is worth it.

IMO that's the study I have to do when I read... “To tell the truth, I’m wondering about my contract.”

reds44
02-02-2011, 02:44 AM
I don't think you can classify Phillips as a speed guy. He's just not. And he's turning 30, not 35, there's no reason to believe he won't continue to play great defense for the next 3-4 years. Ideally the Reds can re-sign Phillips after this year and not having to pay him his option.

camisadelgolf
02-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Do you want to know why I think Phillips will cost so much to keep around? Over the last five years, he is one of only four players in all of MLB to have 100+ stolen bases and home runs. People all over fall in love with those two numbers. The other three are David Wright, Hanley Ramirez, and Grady Sizemore. Granted, Phillips doesn't have the same presence at the plate as those other guys, but he has Gold Gloves, durability, and a bunch of RBIs (more than Hanley Ramirez, believe it or not).

edabbs44
02-02-2011, 10:11 AM

Maybe it indicates that he was worth that over the last seasons, but to say that this is what he'd be worth over the next few seasons is kind of difficult.

Just look at the WAR stats provided for his comps earlier in this thread:

2b seems to be a production friendly spot, although that doesn't stop people from wearying on 30+ guys like Hudson or Sanchez. I really think Phillips is somewhere in the mix with these guys below, perhaps right in the middle. I think 2-3 WAR a year is likely for him.

Orlando Hudson:
30 y/o - 1.5 WAR
31 y/o - 2.9 WAR
32 y/o - 3.1 WAR

Figgins:
30 - 2.7
31 - 6.1
32 - .6

Polanco
30 - 5.4
31 - 1.2
32 - 5.2
33 - 2.8
34 - 3.1
35 - 3.7

Sanchez
30 - .8
31 - 1.8
32 - 2.7

All over the place might be a kind way of describing these numbers.

oneupper
02-03-2011, 01:24 PM
Phillips is a valuable player. Right now he doesn't fit the right "mold" in the REDS lineup. Not a middle of lineup power hitter, not a top of order table setter.
I think he's gone after this year or even at the deadline if the REDS are out of it.

camisadelgolf
02-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I think he's gone after this year or even at the deadline if the REDS are out of it.
It's pretty much blasphemy to even mention that as a possibility, but I think you hit the nail on the head. If the Reds regress this year, BP might not be the only player we see packing his bags come July.

redsfandan
02-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Phillips is a valuable player. Right now he doesn't fit the right "mold" in the REDS lineup. Not a middle of lineup power hitter, not a top of order table setter.

It's pretty much blasphemy to even mention that as a possibility, but I think you hit the nail on the head. If the Reds regress this year, BP might not be the only player we see packing his bags come July.

Does anyone else think he'll be gone mid-season if the Reds are out of it?

Cuz I don't see it.

camisadelgolf
02-03-2011, 04:37 PM

Cuz I don't see it.
The odds are very slim, and a lot of bad things would need to happen for it to seem like a good possibility. Do I see it happening? No. Is it impossible? Far from it.

If the Reds have a disastrous year, I could see them 'blowing it up' by finding new homes for Ramon Hernandez, Edgar Renteria, Jonny Gomes, Brandon Phillips, and/or Francisco Cordero. It won't be long before guys like Drew Stubbs, Jay Bruce, Nick Masset, and company become the veteran leadership on the team now that the new 'culture' has been infused.

Mario-Rijo
02-04-2011, 02:58 AM
It's not all walks, it's every aspect of his game that gets translated into salary demands come contract time. One has to decide if teh Reds have a 90 million dollar budget (way generous) how many of the players on the team can grab say...50 Million of that.

It's then you ask if the player is worth it.

IMO that's the study I have to do when I read... “To tell the truth, I’m wondering about my contract.”

Exactly, the less sharing a big piece of the pie the better. It's the same reason I would have decided against the re-sign of Arroyo as well. At some point it will cost the Reds someone everyone really wants to keep (Stubbs).

bucksfan2
02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
I like Phillips and think he is one of the better 2b in the game. But he isn't Chase Utley. IMO 2b is one of the easier positions to replace on a team. It isn't as defensively demanding as SS or CF, you don't need to have a cannon like you do at 3B and in RF. I just wonder if you an replace Phillips overall production with a cheaper player. Could a guy like Frazier come in and produce at a similar level but save the Reds some serious cash? That is the biggest question I see with BP.

medford
02-04-2011, 01:48 PM

Cuz I don't see it.

I think he'd be the most likely as things stand, at least the most likely to be moved and get the Reds something worthwhile back.

Votto, Bruce & Stubbs aren't going anywhere if the Reds are "out of it". I have my doubts that Walt would move Rolen at this stage. I don't know if Rolen has a no trade, but it would kind of be a back handed slap to a guy that wants to be close to home and worked w/ the team to get a more friendly deal. Gomes and others wouldn't net much, neither would either of the catchers.

On the picthing end, I doubt you're going to move any of the pitchers they've just extended. If things are going poorly, then I have my doubts that a guy like Homer is going to be consistantly pitching like we've all hoped. Cordero could fetch something, but you'd have to pick up a chunk of his salary I'd imagine.

that leaves really only Edison, other than Brandon who I think could be having a solid year and fetch a solid return in July.

I hope this team is in an era were in Feb & March we're thinking about what they'll add in July, rather than what they'll be giving away like they've done most of the last decade. It must warm the winter nights up in Beantown thinking about what Blue light specials they can pick up from Kansas City & Pittsburgh to plug holes in July.

MartyFan
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I wanted to ask a question about a player on the trade block.

The guy is Michael Young of the Texas Rangers...He has become "disillusioned" with his role on the Rangers this offseason and wants out. I get that he is owed a boatload of money but undoubtedly the Rangers will also be shipping some cash with him...he can play 2b, SS and 3B...he was willing to move to LF.

If so, who would the Reds have to give up to get him from the Rangers and what kind of money would the Rangers have to send to cincy?

kaldaniels
02-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I wanted to ask a question about a player on the trade block.

The guy is Michael Young of the Texas Rangers...He has become "disillusioned" with his role on the Rangers this offseason and wants out. I get that he is owed a boatload of money but undoubtedly the Rangers will also be shipping some cash with him...he can play 2b, SS and 3B...he was willing to move to LF.

If so, who would the Reds have to give up to get him from the Rangers and what kind of money would the Rangers have to send to cincy?

I saw the article about him on Yahoo today, and the same thing popped into my mind. I just don't think the dollars would work out unless Texas has totally soured on him.

Raisor
02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
I saw the article about him on Yahoo today, and the same thing popped into my mind. I just don't think the dollars would work out unless Texas has totally soured on him.

Texas pretty much has to trade him at this point. No real place for him to play, AND he gets his 5/10 rights in May.

fearofpopvol1
02-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Interesting article about Phillips and his future today: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110220&content_id=16689736&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

So, he claims that he is not looking to break the bank and just wants a fair deal. What would be "fair" and given that he is taking this stance, would you try to sign Phillips for longer?

Despite what some here say, I don't believe for a second that the Reds have a player ready to step in for Phillips at 2B. Chris V. is not the answer. Hamilton could be if he went to 2B, but the Reds plan to have him play at SS this season and even then, he's a ways off.

mth123
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Interesting article about Phillips and his future today: http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110220&content_id=16689736&vkey=news_cin&c_id=cin

So, he claims that he is not looking to break the bank and just wants a fair deal. What would be "fair" and given that he is taking this stance, would you try to sign Phillips for longer?

Despite what some here say, I don't believe for a second that the Reds have a player ready to step in for Phillips at 2B. Chris V. is not the answer. Hamilton could be if he went to 2B, but the Reds plan to have him play at SS this season and even then, he's a ways off.

The Reds will suffer a big drop-off when Phillips leaves, but the FA market is pretty crowded next year. I've been screaming to sign him or at least exercise the option, but they may be able to use the $12 Million to get another guy for a couple years until Hamilton is ready.

redsfandan
02-21-2011, 05:42 AM
The Reds will suffer a big drop-off when Phillips leaves, but the FA market is pretty crowded next year. I've been screaming to sign him or at least exercise the option, but they may be able to use the $12 Million to get another guy for a couple years until Hamilton is ready.
I don't think there's that many good options that will take a contract for only 1-2 years...

Second basemen
Clint Barmes (33)
Ronnie Belliard (37)
Willie Bloomquist (34) - mutual option
Robinson Cano (29) - $14MM club option with a $2MM buyout
Jamey Carroll (37)
Luis Castillo (36)
Alex Cora (36)
Craig Counsell (41)
Mark Ellis (35)
Jerry Hairston Jr. (36)
Bill Hall (32) - mutual option
Aaron Hill (30) - $8MM club option for 2012, $8MM club option for '13, $10MM club option for '14
Omar Infante (30)
Joe Inglett (34)
Kelly Johnson (30)
Adam Kennedy (36)
Felipe Lopez (32)
Jose Lopez (28)
Aaron Miles (35)
Augie Ojeda (37)
Brandon Phillips (31) - $12MM club option with a $1MM buyout
Freddy Sanchez (34)

kpresidente
02-21-2011, 09:07 AM
You have to wait and see if Hamilton is legit. If he regresses any, and Phillips is willing to go 3-years $27 million, or something, I'd do that. And if you look at the other vets, Rolen and Arroyo, it speaks well for the possibility a Phillips extension, since they were in similar situations. If you're going to give those guys extensions, why not Phillips? What's the difference? In fact, I'd argue there was a better outlook for the future at those two positions, as far as what we had/have near-ready within the system, than the current outlook at 2B. Think about it. Frazier is solid. Leake is solid. Valaika? Not so much.

Razor Shines
02-21-2011, 11:11 AM
You have to wait and see if Hamilton is legit. If he regresses any, and Phillips is willing to go 3-years $27 million, or something, I'd do that. And if you look at the other vets, Rolen and Arroyo, it speaks well for the possibility a Phillips extension, since they were in similar situations. If you're going to give those guys extensions, why not Phillips? What's the difference? In fact, I'd argue there was a better outlook for the future at those two positions, as far as what we had/have near-ready within the system, than the current outlook at 2B. Think about it. Frazier is solid. Leake is solid. Valaika? Not so much.

Is there really a lot thought that BP would be willing to accept a contract like that?

I think there would be a lot of posters on board with 3-$27M. Including me.

Quatitos
02-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Phillips referenced these two deals:

Phillips was also watching when Brewers second baseman Rickie Weeks signed a four-year, $38.5 million contract last week. Ditto for when Dan Uggla was extended by the Braves with a five-year, $62 million deal.

He then said pay him where you think he belongs between those two guys. If he would take closer to Weeks' contract that wouldn't be that bad, maybe throw in a fifth year option. If Phillips would accept a 4 year ~$40 million w/ 5th year $12 million option/$2 million buyout that would guarantee him at minimum more than Weeks, and if the option is picked up he would match Uggla. So that kind of deal seems like something he would accept Add in the fact he could possibly consider following Rolen/Arroyo's lead and take deferred money, it would make the deal more affordable.

As for 3-$27, I doubt you can get Phillips for that. If you could, that would be ideal, the right number of years at a decent price. I doubt he would accept something like that though.

REDREAD
02-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Cuz I don't see it.

Nope, I don't see it either.
I don't see any salary dumps at the trade deadline, unless by some miracle we are unable to unload Cordero.

The Reds are trying to change their image. They aren't going to dump Phillips at the deadline and risk alienating the fans. Besides, it's not as if he would bring a king's ransom anyhow. The last 5-10 years, expensive bats that are traded at the deadline do not bring much in return. It's a buyer's market.

I think Walt is going to try to extend Phillips, not unload him. Phillips at 2b gives the Reds a key advantage. Multi-dimensional players like Phillips are needed in order to contend, and the Reds don't have anyone close to comparable in talent to replace him.. In the end, maybe the Reds can't afford to extend Phillips, but I think they will try.

kaldaniels
02-21-2011, 03:56 PM
So Fay just tweeted a pic of BP "chatting up Dodger fans". Am I a conspiracy theorist or is Fay just ginning up speculation in regards to BP possibly leaving. Otherwise, why tweet such a boring picture? Sorry if this is a stupid observation.

Danny Serafini
02-21-2011, 04:28 PM
So Fay just tweeted a pic of BP "chatting up Dodger fans". Am I a conspiracy theorist or is Fay just ginning up speculation in regards to BP possibly leaving. Otherwise, why tweet such a boring picture? Sorry if this is a stupid observation.

I think you're reading way too much into things.

kaldaniels
02-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I think you're reading way too much into things.

Always a high likelyhood. :D

redsfandan
02-21-2011, 10:34 PM
Sounds like Fay was just trying to look productive without actually being productive.

WebScorpion
02-21-2011, 11:21 PM
If you read his quote, "you just put me in the middle of those guys and just pay me for what you think I should be paid between those guys", it seems like he's asking for an average of $11Mil per year on a 4 or 5 year contract. That would be the 'middle'. They could actually save a million in 2012 by buying out his contract and offering him:

2012 - $10Mil (+$1Mil buyout)
2013 - $11Mil
2014 - $11Mil
2015 - $12Mil
2016 - Option for $13Mil

I'm not sure I'd do that, but it sounds like what he's asking for...even with the option year it's a little less than Uggla got, but it's more than Weeks got without the option. Food for thought. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Ron Madden
02-22-2011, 03:52 AM
Nope, I don't see it either.
I don't see any salary dumps at the trade deadline, unless by some miracle we are unable to unload Cordero.

The Reds are trying to change their image. They aren't going to dump Phillips at the deadline and risk alienating the fans. Besides, it's not as if he would bring a king's ransom anyhow. The last 5-10 years, expensive bats that are traded at the deadline do not bring much in return. It's a buyer's market.

I think Walt is going to try to extend Phillips, not unload him. Phillips at 2b gives the Reds a key advantage. Multi-dimensional players like Phillips are needed in order to contend, and the Reds don't have anyone close to comparable in talent to replace him.. In the end, maybe the Reds can't afford to extend Phillips, but I think they will try.

I honestly hope you're right but something keeps telling me not to forget the fact we that just happen to root for a small market ball club.

The sad but true fact is small market clubs just can't afford to sign all of their best players to long term deals.

It would be nice for a few years but then we would most likely see another long stretch of losing seasons.

I'll stop now and leave it at that before I'm branded as something less than a True Reds Fan or a Troll.

bucksfan2
02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
If you read his quote, "you just put me in the middle of those guys and just pay me for what you think I should be paid between those guys", it seems like he's asking for an average of $11Mil per year on a 4 or 5 year contract. That would be the 'middle'. They could actually save a million in 2012 by buying out his contract and offering him:

2012 - $10Mil (+$1Mil buyout)
2013 - $11Mil
2014 - $11Mil
2015 - $12Mil
2016 - Option for $13Mil

I'm not sure I'd do that, but it sounds like what he's asking for...even with the option year it's a little less than Uggla got, but it's more than Weeks got without the option. Food for thought. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-think005.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

If that is what it takes to retain Phillips I would much rather see his last year expire in 2012 and go ahead with the likes of Valakia or Frazier at 2b and use that money elsewhere. Don't get me wrong I like Phillips but at that point he will be on the downside of his career and a guy like Valakia or Frazier may be able to make up quite a bit of difference at 2b at a lesser cost.

OnBaseMachine
02-27-2011, 01:52 PM
From John Fay - Reds talked to Phillips agent in the fall and plan to do so again this spring

Thats what I want, he said. I want to stay here. I love it here. Love the city of Cincinnati. I love the fans. The Reds gave me a second chance to come here and live my dream. Ive been blessed. I want to give back to the city. I want to be the type of person Barry Larkin was to the city. It would be nice to be here for the rest of my career.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/02/27/phillips-would-like-a-contract-extension/

wheels
02-27-2011, 04:32 PM
It's really pretty simple.

As much as I adore Brandon as a human being, his skills on the field will soon begin declining. It sucks, but it's reality. The Reds brain trust already knows this.

If he understands this, he stays, if not, he goes.

That's Baseball, folks.

mdccclxix
04-26-2011, 02:40 PM
McAllister pitch perfect in this piece on Phillips today:

Brandon Phillips
Next year the Reds have a $12-million dollar option on Brandon Phillips.
They can pick it up or buy him out for $1-million dollars.
I've been of the belief that the question wasn't whether to pursue a multi-year deal with him, but rather whether or not to even pick up the option for next year?
Not because I don't like Phillips. I love the guy.
But the fact remains that the Red committed $151-million to ohter players this offseason. The organization can't keep/afford everyone and at some point they have to look to give opportunities to younger/cheaper players from the system. It's the natural turnover of an organization with a deep minor league system.
Brandon will be 30 years old in June. And the Reds have middle infielders Zach Cozart, Chris Valaika and Billy Hamilton in the system.
But it's a day like yesterday that makes me appreciate Brandon Phillips more and more. He moved back into the 4th spot in the batting order and delivered again for the Reds. He has made 30+ starts at eight different spots in the batting order during his career. He's made 70+ starts in six different spots in the batting order.
Wonder how many active players have done that in the ML's?
He's a plug him in and go kind of guy. Never complains.
But the bigger picture is this..you can depend on Phillips.
You know what you are going to get from him.
He gives the Reds speed, power, decent average, defense, swagger and energy. Nobody else on this roster offers that package. Joey Votto is quiet and intense. Scott Rolen is quiet and leads by example. Phillips is brash and aggressive and can be in the face of the opposition.
He sets a tone for this team. I've had issues with his jaking it at times over the years. Dusty's had issues with it. But you see a maturity in Phillips.
I believe he truly loves the city, organization and the fans. I believe he wants to be no place else. He loves signing autographs. He loves interacting with fans on Twitter.
He loves the Reds Caravan. He loves representing the franchise.
There will be cheaper options for 2B next year. Maybe the option comes from the system. But I often talk about guys performing to the back of their baseball card and knowing what you are going to get from a guy. Nobody knows what the Valaika's or Cozart's can do on this level.
And consider the uncertainty ahead for this team. Who knows about Rolen into the future? Can Juan Francisco pick up the slack and be productive? What about SS and Janish every day? How far away is Hamilton? Is he a 2B or SS? What about LF and Gomes? The catching position will be turned over soon to the likes of Mesoraco and/or Grandal. That's a ton of questions.
I can bank on Phillips and what he will give this team. Do the Reds have the money in the bank for him? How much will it cost? How many years?
Can the Reds give Phillips 4 years $40-million? Is that enough? Would Phillps accept a "hometown" discount?
Is there enough payroll flexibility, factoring in the '12 contracts of Votto ($9.5M), Bruce ($5M), Rolen ($6.5M), Arroyo ($7M), Cueto ($5.4M), Chapman ($2M)..?
Francisco Cordero's $12-million does comes off the books after this season.
Perhaps the money of Hernandez and Gomes comes off the books.
But others will will head to arbitrationl Bailey, Janish, Volquez, Masset, Bray....
Can the Reds afford to keep Phillips?
I'd ask can they afford not to?

Contracts of other 2B
Dan Uggla, 5 years, $62 million:
'11 9M, '12 13M, '13 13M, '14 13M, '15 13M
Rickie Weeks, 4 years, $38.5 million:
'11 3.5M, '12 10M, '13 10M, '14 11M, '15 11.5M (option)
Chase Utley, 7 years, $85 milion ('09):
'11 15M, '12 15M, '13 15M
Robinson Cano, 4 years, $30 million ('08):
'11 10M, '12 14M (option), '13 15M (option)
Dustin Pedroia, 6 years, $40.5 million ('09):
'11 5.5 M, '12 8M, '13 10M, '14 10M, '15 11M (option)
Ian Kinsler, 5 years, $22 million ('08):
'11 6M, '12 7M, '13 10M (option)
Orlando Hudson, 2 years, $11.5 million:
'11 4 M, '12 5.5 M, '13 8M (option)
(Source: Cot's baseball contracts)

Read more: http://www.espn1530.com/pages/lancesBlog.html#ixzz1KeiXRvxi

I've said for a while I hope he's a lifetime Red. I think 4-5 years at 10 per would be a good deal. I don't think decline is a concern with Phillips. He's a tough dude, great genes, adaptable, at 35 he'll still be a good 2b. I don't look at Valaika as a serious option next to Phillips. Hopefully he can help usher in the Billy Hamilton era at SS. Then, perhaps he can sign a final 2-3 year deal in 2016 and retire one of the best Reds ever with a fist of rings. :D

The Voice of IH
04-26-2011, 03:05 PM
Phillips told Alanta fans last year that he planned to play for the Braves while finishing his career. I was pretty pissed when I heard that, it was in the middle of the pennate race.

mdccclxix
04-26-2011, 03:15 PM
If he grew up a Braves fan at all, I can understand why he said that. He's also said numerous times he wants to retire a Red. He probably wants to retire at 40 like every other ballplayer. I'm not that worried about what he dreams might be cool in 10 years.

REDREAD
04-26-2011, 03:34 PM
After Votto, Phillips might be the most important position player on the team.

No disrespect to the other guys, but Rolen, Stubbs, and Bruce can not be counted on every day. They will have slumps or injury problems.

It's a total no brainer to pick up his option next year.. No way any minor leaguer in the system now is going to be able to step in and pick up the slack. If the Reds want to be competitive next year, they pretty much have to bring Phillips back.

mattfeet
05-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Just to bump this thread. Tonight Brandon Phillips went to a Cincinnati Flames Little-League baseball game to support one of his Twitter followers. Now THAT is a characteristic of someone you want playing for you city's team. Phillips, if you ever troll this board, that's high class. Keep it up. :)

(Picture Below)
http://lockerz.com/s/101092268

-Matt

Spitball
05-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Just to bump this thread. Tonight Brandon Phillips went to a Cincinnati Flames Little-League baseball game to support one of his Twitter followers. Now THAT is a characteristic of someone you want playing for you city's team. Phillips, if you ever troll this board, that's high class. Keep it up. :)

-Matt

:thumbup:

marcshoe
05-12-2011, 10:00 PM

(Picture Below)
http://lockerz.com/s/101092268

-Matt

Absolutely. JHiller posted this on the other board with a pic as well. I've been a big fan of BP for a while.

cinreds21
05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
There aren't any better plausible options on the potential free agent market this year (which could include Robinson Cano, Jose Lopes, Kelly Johnson, Bill Hall, Mark Ellis, Omar Infante and Aaron Hill has a team option.)
Frazier COULD play second, but I doubt that would happen. Resigning BP, especially with him wanting to stay,would make the most sense.

WVRedsFan
05-12-2011, 11:56 PM
There aren't any better plausible options on the potential free agent market this year (which could include Robinson Cano, Jose Lopes, Kelly Johnson, Bill Hall, Mark Ellis, Omar Infante and Aaron Hill has a team option.)
Frazier COULD play second, but I doubt that would happen. Resigning BP, especially with him wanting to stay,would make the most sense.Agreed. BP is an asset and he's still fairly young.

RANDY IN INDY
05-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Phillips is one heck of a player and maybe the best overall second baseman in the game right now. Absolutely a magician with the glove.

lollipopcurve
05-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Just to bump this thread. Tonight Brandon Phillips went to a Cincinnati Flames Little-League baseball game to support one of his Twitter followers. Now THAT is a characteristic of someone you want playing for you city's team.

BP's a huge positive for the organization.

RedsManRick
05-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I'll admit that I'm coming around on BP's personality. Yes, he's a hot dog. But his approach doesn't hurt the team and it's apparently backed by a good hearted guy who just wants to have fun, entertain and engage with fans.

kaldaniels
05-14-2011, 11:05 AM
I'll admit that I'm coming around on BP's personality. Yes, he's a hot dog. But his approach doesn't hurt the team and it's apparently backed by a good hearted guy who just wants to have fun, entertain and engage with fans.

I agree with you there. That doesn't mean I won't criticize him when he says or does something outrageous (face it, it has happened in the past :D). But when it comes down to it I think he truly is a top notch guy. He seems like the type of player us fans want to think we would be like if we ever were MLB players, enjoying every minute of it.

oneupper
05-14-2011, 12:52 PM

I feel the same way, although he may have "mellowed" a bit, also. In his first few years with the team, he seemed to carry a bit of chip on his shoulder. Now he shrugs things off and smiles.

Even Cardinals fans are going to have a hard time holding a grudge with him. :D

mattfeet
05-14-2011, 03:05 PM
As a follow up to my thread-bump.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110513/SPT04/105140342

Article on Phillips going to that kids game.

-Matt

mth123
05-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Phillips must be signed for another 3 years or so. The drop off from him to any other MI in the system is cavernous.

RedsBaron
05-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Gotta give Phillips a huge :thumbup: for going to the kid's game.

reds44
05-16-2011, 01:24 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this is simply hilarious.

DatDudeBP

Watching one of my fav baseball movies, Major League! But does Willie Mays Hayes remind u of me a little bit or am I trippin? LMAO

Chip R
05-16-2011, 01:30 AM
It's a bit early but could the Reds have back-to-back MVPs on the team? Brandon may not be putting up the numbers Joey did last year offensively but he's doing it with the bat and the glove as good as anyone.

05-16-2011, 02:15 AM
I wasn't sure where to post this, but this is simply hilarious.

DatDudeBP

Watching one of my fav baseball movies, Major League! But does Willie Mays Hayes remind u of me a little bit or am I trippin? LMAO

I thought this was funny too, as did Phillips as he responded to it. I don't think every player would have responded to that with an "LOL".

DatDudeBP Brandon Phillips
LOL... Thanks! Love your stand-ups RT @garyowencomedy: @DatDudeBP your my favorite black player on the Cincinnati Reds that speaks English.

reds44
05-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Sucks for Fred Lewis lol

Homer Bailey
05-23-2011, 02:50 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110522&content_id=19444734&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

In the months since, however, the 29-year-old Phillips has used his account in the best way imaginable. Sure, he's still kind of crazy, but in this format, it's an endearing craziness. Amid tweets about his team and his favorite places to eat on the road, he routinely engages in playful back-and-forth banter with his fans, with Cardinals fans, with whomever.