PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Reds: Best Bullpen in Baseball?

mdccclxix
02-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I was looking over the USA today article covering the Reds going into next year and it struck me how dominant our bullpen could be.

Bullpen

Left-hander Arthur Rhodes (4-4, 2.49 ERA) was magnificent last season in making his first All-Star team at 40, but he left as a free agent. As a result, Nick Masset, Bill Bray and Jared Burton will have to carry the load. The Reds are also looking for a return to form from Jose Arredondo, who went 10-2 with a 1.69 ERA for the Los Angeles Angels in 2008 but missed last season after having elbow surgery. He's also tough on left-handers, which should help ease the loss of Rhodes. Chapman and his triple-digit fastball will be a familiar sight in the eighth and possibly seventh innings.

Say what you want about Cordero, his save % was still good last year. If he gets around to using his slider up around 30-35% (like he used to in his best years) we should see his K% come back up and BB% go down. Something to look for. That said, who will score on the Reds in the 7th and 8th inning with this:

8th inning
Chapman - LHRP
Masset - RHRP

Two high K guys with lock-down, awesome stuff. Good morning, good afternoon, and good night.

7th inning
Bray / Willis - LHRP
Burton / Ondrusek / Arredondo - RHRP

Opponent's avg could altogether be well below .200 vs these situational guys.

6th inning or Long Relief
Leake/Bailey/Wood/Smith/Fisher

One of 3 blue chip starters could end up as the long man in the bullpen, effectively closing any possible holes in the bullpen. Suitable in any situation, when needed these guys can deliver.

Basically, this team could ride the bullpen to the playoffs similar to San Diego. Just asking the starters to cross the 6th inning will be all that's required, and on days they go 7 or 8, it's just a luxury. I can't see many W's turned into no decisions, either. In all, it's a perfect scenario to keep young arms happy and healthy.

I'm speaking nothing of the offense, which should be solid, at least, but this pitching staff is in brilliant shape.

mth123
02-01-2011, 06:43 PM
IMO, the bullpen is the deepest and most talented part of the team. Of course if Chapman and Masset are removed it gets iffy real quick.

Ghosts of 1990
02-01-2011, 07:44 PM
Should have brought back Rhodes. I thought it was an easy call. They're asking too much out of guys like Bray, Burton, and Masset. Those are nice guys to have as your 5,6,7 out of the pen, but I don't like them as 2,3,4 on some nights.

I'm high on Chapman. To be honest I'm fine with Cordero. But Rhodes in the mix would have been phenomenal. One wildcard everyone seems to forget is Jose Arredondo. I think he's got a chance to be a lights out arm from the right side. But it wouldn't be until later in the year I wouldn't think. Just file that thought away. Arredondo could make us a top pen.

RED VAN HOT
02-02-2011, 02:06 AM
I'd like to see Cordero used a little more sparingly. Hopefully, others will be given a chance to close a few games and Cordero can get more rest. I think the talent is there to permit it this year.

Edd Roush
02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Should have brought back Rhodes. I thought it was an easy call.

Sure, in a vaccuum, it would be great to bring back Sir Arthur. However, if the Reds are really at budget, there is no way in heck I'd rather have Rhodes than Renteria and Lewis (plus a million dollars). If Chapman was destined for the bullpen either way (which Price makes it sound like) and with Bray having a solid year, we already had two lefties locked into the pen. Having a third lefty was not completely necessary especially considering we have Codero, Masset and Ondrusek locked into the pen and good pitchers like Smith, Burton, Arredondo and Lecure fighting for the other two spots. Sure, Rhodes may be an upgrade over some of the pitchers listed, but relievers are ridiculously volatile due to a small sample size year in and year out and Rhodes isn't getting any younger.

I would much rather have depth at short stop and a plattoon partner for Gomes in left than Arthur Rhodes. If we had room in the budget for both options, then yes, it was a mistake, but let's not forget that Texas will probably have to pay him 4+ million next year, which could be bigtime deadweight if Arthur comes back to career norms and shows some signs of age.

bucksfan2
02-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Should have brought back Rhodes. I thought it was an easy call. They're asking too much out of guys like Bray, Burton, and Masset. Those are nice guys to have as your 5,6,7 out of the pen, but I don't like them as 2,3,4 on some nights.

I'm high on Chapman. To be honest I'm fine with Cordero. But Rhodes in the mix would have been phenomenal. One wildcard everyone seems to forget is Jose Arredondo. I think he's got a chance to be a lights out arm from the right side. But it wouldn't be until later in the year I wouldn't think. Just file that thought away. Arredondo could make us a top pen.

An easy call? IMO the Reds made the right call. Rhodes was a guy who had a great first half but broke down in the second half. Couple that with the fact that he is over 40 and in the twilight of his career. The Reds couldn't offer him arb and he entered the FA market. IMO not offering high dollar contracts to 40+ year old relievers is a good thing to do.

Jpup
02-02-2011, 10:30 AM
An easy call? IMO the Reds made the right call. Rhodes was a guy who had a great first half but broke down in the second half. Couple that with the fact that he is over 40 and in the twilight of his career. The Reds couldn't offer him arb and he entered the FA market. IMO not offering high dollar contracts to 40+ year old relievers is a good thing to do.

Broke down? Rhodes was still pretty good for the Reds in the 2nd half. He allowed 6 runs before the break and 8 runs after the break. Yes, his foot hurt, but he did get it done for the entire season.