PDA

View Full Version : Hot Stove League show report

Chip R
02-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Here is the Reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-1-11. Thom was the host tonight and said he heard the caravan was fantastic and can't believe it was bigger and better than it was in the past. He said it is astounding to realize how many fans in the 5 state area follow the Reds on a daily basis.

The first caller asked if Volquez signed a deal and what does the future hold for him. Thom said he signed a 1 year deal and said there are pros and cons for players who sign long term deals.He said the pros include security. Thom said signing a 1 year deal shows that he has a lot of confidence in himself but it's a gamble. If he does well, he can ask for more in a contract next year.

The next caller said he is very excited for ST to start. Thom said that it's amazing what one season can do. He said that if you look at the talent coming back and the commitment of the organization. He said he can't see how anyone can dispute that the Reds are trying to build this into something special. The caller said if anyone here isn't excited, something's wrong with them. Thom agreed and sad he doesn't know what else the Reds could do financially.

The next caller said he went to the event in Dayton and said that it was a great event and everyone who had a ticket got an autograph. He said the Reds are very kid friendly and they will give kids who go to their first game a certificate acknowledging that. He said there are facsimile signatures of guys like Dusty on there and when he took his daughter to see Dusty there she showed him the certificate and he hadn't seen it before and thought it was a neat thing.

After commercial, Thom said through Friday February 11 till noon fans can register on Reds.com for up to 4 Opening Day tickets.

The next caller said he's excited about the Reds and he said the younger generation doesn't know what it'as like to experience what the older generation did during the 70s. He wanted to thank Bob and Walt for what is happening here and so the younger generation can experience good times. He said Bob should consider lowering the cost of concessions and that would help attendance.

The next caller was incoherent and possibly drunk.

The next caller said he keeps hearing how Arroyo, Volquez and Cueto are the first 3 starters and he doesn't see how they can guarantee Volquez' spot over Wood or Leake or Bailey since he's been so inconsistent over the last couple of years. Thom said he got hurt 2 years ago and had some good but inconsistent games before then and came back earlier than thought. After that he was inconsistent but that's expected after coming back. He said that he won 17 games and went to the All Star Game and he has the best stuff of anyone in the rotation. He said Leake was very good to start out but faded. He thinks Homer's been very inconsistent. Thom is high on Wood. The caller said that Volquez does tend to throw a lot of pitches and Thom agreed and said that's something he needs to work on.

The next caller said that he had a great time on the Caravan and while he was there his 7 year old daughter stood in line for 2 hours and there were no complaints from her or other kids or adults there. He said everyone had a good time.

After commercial the next caller asked if Volquez was an unrestricted free agent. Thom said he isn't and the Reds have control over him for 3 more years. Thom said he doesn't blame him for taking a 1 year deal.

The next caller said he went to the caravan in Lima and while it was too bad Brantley got sick and couldn't make it he had a good time and so did everyone else. He said the crowds and the Reds personnel were patient and courteous. He talked to Dusty and suggested to him that they should start bunting (?) so the Phillies pitchers think about something other than throwing strikes he said he would like to see the caravan to go to Ft Wayne. Thom said he'd pass that suggestion on.

After commercial, the next caller said he thinks the Reds will be right there this year. Thom agreed and said they are the team to beat. He said there are no guarantees but with the pitching the Reds have he'll take his chances.

The next caller said that there are so many quality players in camp and if Thom thinks there's a chance there will be a trade made and he thinks Heisey may be trade bait. Thom said he's right but would be surprised if something happened between now and ST. He said that the depth they have they could put together a package to get someone big. The caller said was thinking about trading Cordero. Thom said this is his final year on the deal and no one else has proven they could be a closer. He said he will probably be the closer unless they fall out of contention.

After commercial, the next caller said he went to the Athens caravan and got Wood's autograph and was so excited.

The next caller asked if Thom agreed with Marty that if Concepcion isn't in the HOF neither should Larkin and wondered why Barry hasn't made it yet. Thom said Barry will get into the HOF perhaps as early as next year. Thom said statistically it's impossible to believe Davey isn't in since his numbers stack up with Ozzie Smith.

The next caller asked how can baseball get back to a good competitive balance where everyone has a chance. Thom said it isn't going to be any time soon and baseball s doing well now and the MLBPA has too much strength to agree to a salary cap which he feels has led to the popularity of the NFL. (I would disagree but that's a topic for another thread)

Thus endeth the reds Hot Stove League show report for 2-1-11. So let it be written. So let it be done.

camisadelgolf
02-02-2011, 02:54 AM
Thanks, Chip. Great job.

Ron Madden
02-02-2011, 04:02 AM
Thanks Chip, "You Da Man"

BearcatShane
02-02-2011, 04:34 AM
Great job, Chip. Seems like the callers have been better this year, not as many plain dumb questions/suggestions.

Topcat
02-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Thanks again chip for doing this week after week. From a Winnipeg. Manitoba fan it is truly appreciated every time.

Eric_the_Red
02-02-2011, 10:00 AM

Okay, which RZer called the show?

Thanks, Chip!

Hoosier Red
02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks Chip.

My favorite are the people who brag about giving advice to the manager. Right because Dusty hadn't thought about the advantages of bunting before this genius brought it up to him. Who does he think he is, Tony LaRussa?

Heath
02-02-2011, 07:59 PM
That might have been the easiest HSL for Chip to transcribe. On top of that, it seemed almost coherent.

Back in the day, I remember those HSL's going for 2-3 hours on Wednesday. It used to be a highlight when I was a kid.

Mario-Rijo
02-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Originally Posted by Chip R

Okay, which RZer called the show?

Thanks, Chip!

I am gonna go with who is Camisa del golf, Alex!

J/K Cam. ;)

camisadelgolf
02-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I am gonna go with who is Camisa del golf, Alex!

J/K Cam. ;)
The only thing that surprises me is that it took this long for someone to say it. But in case anyone was wondering, no, it wasn't me. However, it might just be me the next time. My past 24 hours have been brutal.

My girlfriend of the past five years broke up with me because she has a lot of questions about herself for which she needs to find answers.
My best friend told me her true feelings for me, and I couldn't reciprocate, so now I'm down a friend.
I got a parking ticket, plus my car got towed, and that's not to mention all the huge scratches that happened in the process
After getting my car out of the tow lot, my window got stuck in the door, so I had to drive in 10-degree weather (or whatever it is) with the window down.
I ran out of gas, but I caught my first break of the day because I was only ~100 feet away from a gas station.
Five minutes after pulling out of the gas station, my carburator went kaput.
I showed up two hours late for work, missing two very important meetings about my future with the company.
That's not even all the problems I'm having in the past 24 hours, but it's the gist of it. Oh, and the pharmacy can't fill my insulin prescription because my doctor didn't send a fax. Even if he had, it's not like I have a way of driving there. I'm sure someone will be able to help me out with this later, but it still sucks. I'm sure more problems are to come. So yeah, I might get really drunk soon.
http://img.buzznet.com/assets/imgx/1/0/0/2/7/5/1/1/orig-10027511.jpg

Raisor
02-04-2011, 07:56 PM
That's not even all the problems I'm having in the past 24 hours, but it's the gist of it. Oh, and the pharmacy can't fill my insulin prescription because my doctor didn't send a fax. Even if he had, it's not like I have a way of driving there. I'm sure someone will be able to help me out with this later, but it still sucks. I'm sure more problems are to come. So yeah, I might get really drunk soon.

taking insulin and alcohol is bad mojo.

Matt700wlw
02-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Great job, Chip. Seems like the callers have been better this year, not as many plain dumb questions/suggestions.

Winning does that.

Ron Madden
02-05-2011, 03:28 AM
Winning does that.

Or maybe it has something to do with the guy screening the calls. ;)

Just pullin' your chain Matt. miss you in the game threads, try to post more often.

camisadelgolf
02-05-2011, 04:53 AM
taking insulin and alcohol is bad mojo.
Okay, I'll give up insulin. ;)