PDA

View Full Version : Piece of Wrigley Feild roof breaks away

Ron Madden
02-02-2011, 04:28 AM
http://reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110202&content_id=16553834&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

DAMN THAT GOAT!!!

Jpup
02-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Tear the dump down.

pedro
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Tear the dump down.

I may not like the Cubs or their fans but it is a nice place to see a game.

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

It's a nice place to see a game, but it is a dump.

Root Down
02-02-2011, 12:08 PM

There's a lot of history there, maybe this would have been better had it happened to Busch Stadium ;)

_Sir_Charles_
02-02-2011, 12:16 PM

I agree. I love Wrigley. The team...not so much.

Sea Ray
02-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Doesn't exactly sound like a Metrodome-like disaster. Without pictures, it very well might just be a piece of awning

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Does exactly sound like a Metrodome-like disaster. Without pictures, it very well might just be a piece of awning

There's a picture out there somewhere. It really doesn't look that bad. I'll track it down.

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 12:24 PM
http://chicagosportsnews.info/two-2011-blizzard-views-of-wrigley-field

http://yfrog.com/h5ms9cj

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/02/wrigley-field-damaged-snow-storm_n_817346.html

http://twitpic.com/3vsrmj

The last one is probably your best image.

pedro
02-02-2011, 12:27 PM
It's a nice place to see a game, but it is a dump.

True, but I have to say I found it much more pleasant that Fenway which I though sucked.

Johnny Footstool
02-02-2011, 12:51 PM

It is legendary, so it carries a certain mystique. The pre-game atmosphere in Wrigleyville adds to that mystique.

However, that mystique quickly disappears after about the second inning, when you realize that the people around you are belligerent drunks, your seats are uncomfortable, and the only thing to drink is rat-flavored Old Style.

OnBaseMachine
02-02-2011, 01:16 PM
Funny tweet from Mo Egger:

Wrigley Field's roof...the latest in a long line of Chicago collapses at that place.

http://twitter.com/MoEgger1530

RedsManRick
02-02-2011, 01:47 PM
We've gotten over 20" so far and the winds have been brutal. Frankly, I'm surprised the damage hasn't been worse. (I live about a mile from Wrigley)

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 01:49 PM
We've gotten over 20" so far and the winds have been brutal. Frankly, I'm surprised the damage hasn't been worse. (I live about a mile from Wrigley)

Where are you at now? I thought you were in the suburbs for some reason, but maybe that's Red in Chicago.

blumj
02-02-2011, 02:53 PM
True, but I have to say I found it much more pleasant that Fenway which I though sucked.
When was the last time you were at Fenway?

pedro
02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
When was the last time you were at Fenway?

before they cleaned it up. probably mid 90's.

it smelled like rotten hot dogs and old man piss.

RED VAN HOT
02-02-2011, 03:38 PM

I'm not sure how either one smells, and I am an old man.

Caseyfan21
02-02-2011, 03:48 PM

I've been to Fenway since the renovation and also been to Wrigley many times the past couple years. I'll take Fenway 100x over Wrigley any day. It has all the "cuteness" of being an old ballpark yet it has a lot of the perks of newer parks - i.e. nicer concession stands, good bathrooms, fresh coat of paint, etc. Wrigley is only a good place to watch a game when you're sitting in your seat. Getting there is awful by car, parking prices are ridiculous, the concession stands leave much to be desired, the bathrooms have troughs, and a lot of the fans tend to be drunk college kids. Give me a newer ballpark like Detroit or PNC or Great American any day over Wrigley.

Caveat Emperor
02-02-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been to Fenway since the renovation and also been to Wrigley many times the past couple years. I'll take Fenway 100x over Wrigley any day. It has all the "cuteness" of being an old ballpark yet it has a lot of the perks of newer parks - i.e. nicer concession stands, good bathrooms, fresh coat of paint, etc. Wrigley is only a good place to watch a game when you're sitting in your seat. Getting there is awful by car, parking prices are ridiculous, the concession stands leave much to be desired, the bathrooms have troughs, and a lot of the fans tend to be drunk college kids. Give me a newer ballpark like Detroit or PNC or Great American any day over Wrigley.

Greatest line I've ever heard about Wrigley field -- A giant bar with a really expensive cover charge.

I've been to two games there. Seating is cramped, crowd is entirely too intoxicated, and there's a very small window of "good" weather to see a game in (seems to like you're either freezing to death or baking in the sun). Plus, the whole day-baseball thing annoys me as a person with a 9-5.

And, as Matt can attest, the acoustics stink for concerts as well.

I'm glad I've been, but I really am fine not making a habit of seeing games there.

Sea Ray
02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Greatest line I've ever heard about Wrigley field -- A giant bar with a really expensive cover charge.

I've been to two games there. Seating is cramped, crowd is entirely too intoxicated, and there's a very small window of "good" weather to see a game in (seems to like you're either freezing to death or baking in the sun). Plus, the whole day-baseball thing annoys me as a person with a 9-5.

And, as Matt can attest, the acoustics stink for concerts as well.

I'm glad I've been, but I really am fine not making a habit of seeing games there.

But at least it's a wonderful place for a college football game...

pedro
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure how either one smells, and I am an old man.

not the piss of an old man, the old piss of a man ;)

pedro
02-02-2011, 05:01 PM

did you ever go before the renovation?

I'd like to check it out now but the place you described isn't the place I went.

I haven't been to wrigley since the early 90's

RedsManRick
02-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Where are you at now? I thought you were in the suburbs for some reason, but maybe that's Red in Chicago.

Nope. I live in Roscoe Village -- about 8 blocks west of Wrigley.

Homer Bailey
02-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Nice. I used to live right next to that McDonald's next to Wrigley. Ryan Dempster only lived about a block or two away from me, if I remember correctly.

Right by Lincoln Park High School now. Much happier now. (And no, not because I live right by a school where teenagers walk by everyday, so don't even try!)

LoganBuck
02-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Bulldoze the dump and disband the team

pedro
02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Bulldoze the dump and disband the team

Tell us how you really feel.

westofyou
02-02-2011, 05:53 PM

My buddy used to live there, I would walk to the games from his house

camisadelgolf
02-02-2011, 05:57 PM
I used to work at Dags, probably just a mile or two away from where you live.

Red in Chicago
02-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Yeah, it's me that's the suburbanite. Somehow Red in the Chicago Suburbs didn't have that special ring to it;)

Chip R
02-03-2011, 12:04 PM
I like both Fenway and Wrigley but I like Fenway better since there are fewer Cubs fans there. ;)