PDA

View Full Version : Door still open for an Edmonds return?

corkedbat
02-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Maybe just a crack? Personally, I'd love to see it.

Jim Edmonds' agent tells Jon Heyman of SI.com (Twitter link) that Edmonds will "probably" know by early next week if he'll retire or try to come back in 2011. Walt Jocketty recently opined that Edmonds would retire.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/cincinnati_reds/index.html

GAC
02-03-2011, 04:29 AM
R-E-T-I-R-E

Will M
02-03-2011, 04:55 AM
I mentioned this in a different thread but I think he would help the 2011 team. By replacing Heisey on the bench as the 5th outfielder he provides a much needed left handed bat. He seems to still be able to play adequate defense to provide a backup in CF & RF should Stubbs or Bruce need a day off.

An even better scenario is that Heisey impresses in spring training & gets the starts in left field vs a left handed pitcher. The team could then move Gomes & go with Lewis/Heisey in LF, Stubbs in CF, Bruce in RF & Edmonds as the 5th outfielder.

Homer Bailey
02-03-2011, 10:10 AM
I am pro-Edmonds for 2011, but I just don't see how it will work with Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Heisey, Lewis, and Hermida already in the mix.

camisadelgolf
02-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I like Edmonds, but he's not a fit as a player right now. He knows very well that he's better off working at first base, and with the Reds having both Alonso and Votto, that doesn't seem to make much sense.

RED VAN HOT
02-03-2011, 12:42 PM
He is sitting on 393 HR's. 400+ would further enhance his HOF credentials. He hit 3 for the Reds in 32 plate appearances. These stats could figure into his decision.

OnBaseMachine
02-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I would love to have him back. He can still hit ... when healthy.

Tom Servo
02-03-2011, 01:52 PM
agreed.

The Operator
02-03-2011, 01:56 PM
I'd love to have him coming off the bench and occasionally filling in for some of the regulars. I don't think his body can handle any kind of regular gig but I still think he can be an effective bench guy.

bucksfan2
02-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Pass. If this were later in the season and the Reds had some injuries or issues I would be all for taking a flier on Edmonds. But as of now I don't see how much value he adds.

Raisor
02-03-2011, 03:34 PM

and if my mother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.

Will M
02-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Edmonds had 272 plate appearances last year & an OPS of 846. A repeat of this would look awfully good on the Reds bench.

bucksfan2
02-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Edmonds had 272 plate appearances last year & an OPS of 846. A repeat of this would look awfully good on the Reds bench.

For how much and whose spot will he be taking? Also he will be one year older and the nagging injuries aren't going to stop.

WVRedsFan
02-03-2011, 09:34 PM
I'd like to have him around for what he did with Bruce and Stubbs, especially Bruce. I don't think it's any accident that Bruce came around after Edmonds took him under his wing.

mdccclxix
02-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Walt said on Sports of all Sorts he'd like to ask him to at least be around the guys in ST.

Spitball
02-03-2011, 10:30 PM
I am pro-Edmonds for 2011, but I just don't see how it will work with Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Heisey, Lewis, and Hermida already in the mix.

I agree. It would be nice to see him come back, but the Reds seem to have moved forward as though they don't expect (or need) him to come back.

Btw, they have already issued Lewis number 15. Though an early issue isn't undoable, it seems they may have held that number back if they had any hope of his return.

GAC
02-04-2011, 04:37 AM
Roster spots are too valuable to be wasting them on a 41 yr old whose body is breaking down from age.

Ron Madden
02-04-2011, 04:44 AM
I'd like to have him around for what he did with Bruce and Stubbs, especially Bruce. I don't think it's any accident that Bruce came around after Edmonds took him under his wing.

In that case you offer him a coaching job instead of a spot on the 25 man roster.

Caveat Emperor
02-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Roster spots are too valuable to be wasting them on a 41 yr old whose body is breaking down from age.

We're really talking about the 25th man on the roster, though -- not exactly the spot where you find superstars or people who are too valuable to let go.

Frankly, I'd rather have Jim Edmonds than Chris Heisey. Heisey has options and can be stashed in AAA. If Edmonds does break down, you can always dip down to bring Heisey back up.

Caveman Techie
02-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Didn't Edmonds' season end last year when he popped his achilles during a homerun trot? I'm sorry, I just don't think his body can take it anymore. Now, with that said I really wouldn't mind offering him a position as a special assistant coach and then attach Stubbs and Bruce to his hip surgically.

Jpup
02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Edmonds just signed with the Cardinals.

rotnoid
02-04-2011, 03:11 PM
Edmonds just signed with the Cardinals.

At least now I can go back to what feels natural- rooting against him.

Ron Madden
02-04-2011, 03:12 PM

I think he signed a minor league deal.

Jpup
02-04-2011, 03:13 PM

amen.

Ghosts of 1990
02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Kind of a rotten deal... "I'm retiring..."

"No wait, I'm signing with the Cardinals just days later."

See ya Jim. Thanks for not blowing out the hammy and everything else in your body in too crucial of a spot last year.

OnBaseMachine
02-04-2011, 03:38 PM
And for about a month I was actually starting to like Jim Edmonds...

redsfandan
02-04-2011, 04:10 PM
He probably does want a chance at #400. But, he probably wants to retire on the team that's he's spent most of his career more. I can't hold that against him.

15fan
02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
As just about the only guy who never got on the "I love Jim Edmonds now that he's a Red" bandwagon, I welcome all of you back to the "I'd root for Osama Bin Laden before I'd root for Jim Edmonds" bandwagon.

If Edmonds is ever in the lineup against the Reds again, I hope Chapman gets called out of the pen for the sole purpose of drilling him with a 105 mph fastball.

Spitball
02-04-2011, 04:30 PM
As just about the only guy who never got on the "I love Jim Edmonds now that he's a Red" bandwagon, I welcome all of you back to the "I'd root for Osama Bin Laden before I'd root for Jim Edmonds" bandwagon.

If Edmonds is ever in the lineup against the Reds again, I hope Chapman gets called out of the pen for the sole purpose of drilling him with a 105 mph fastball.

Right. You did not join the Edmonds Lovefest and resented the Reds giving him number 15. I thought you should have cut him some slack...but you were right.

Going back to hating Edmonds feels much more natural and correct.

CarolinaRedleg
02-04-2011, 04:34 PM
If this means an occasional outfield of Fat Elvis, Holliday and the corpse of Edmonds? Yes, please.

MattyHo4Life
02-04-2011, 04:39 PM
He probably does want a chance at #400. But, he probably wants to retire on the team that's he's spent most of his career more. I can't hold that against him.

He probably wants to be closer to his restaurant too. If you are going to eat out...you might as well eat at your own restaurant. :beerme:

Unassisted
02-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I wonder if he learned anything about the Reds (tendencies, weaknesses, etc.) that would be useful to the Cards.

Raisor
02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
I wonder if he learned anything about the Reds (tendencies, weaknesses, etc.) that would be useful to the Cards.

I knew it! He was a spy all the time!

Spitball
02-04-2011, 06:54 PM

I'm not worried about it. They could have learned all they would need to know about the Reds' tendencies, weaknesses, etc. by visiting this forum. ;)

GADawg
02-04-2011, 10:31 PM
good...I guess I can go back to despising the guy again. Actually I feel betrayed.

Blitz Dorsey
02-04-2011, 10:46 PM
I never liked that punk. Wish we never signed his broken-down rear end last year.

savafan
02-04-2011, 11:20 PM
The Reds are going to miss having Edmonds around in 2011...the bum!

;)

Ron Madden
02-05-2011, 02:54 AM
I knew it! He was a spy all the time!

Jim Edmonds is not to be trusted. EVER.

Then again he might be an under-cover agent for the Reds spying on the Cards.

Naw, the S.O.B. just can't be trusted.

Phhhl
02-05-2011, 03:08 AM
Edmonds was never a Red. It bothered me having him on the team knowing that he desperately wanted to be a Cardinal last year. I don't understand or care to understand why any player would ever want to be a Cardinal instead of a Cincinnati Red. Let him go over to the losing side of the playground in 2011 if it makes him comfortable in his old age.

GAC
02-05-2011, 06:25 AM
I never liked that punk. Wish we never signed his broken-down rear end last year.

Bingo! He won't be in their minor league system long before he AGAIN announces his retirement.

Orenda
02-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Edmonds is a good mentor and we all know someone has to be able to explain things to Chris Carpenter's son.

PuffyPig
02-05-2011, 12:26 PM
If this means an occasional outfield of Fat Elvis, Holliday and the corpse of Edmonds? Yes, please.

Edmonds will be the only spare CF on the roster, as he would take Jays spot.

The Cards really needed a RH spare OF who could play CF. Edmonds can no longer hit LH pitching, and Rasmus has been no great shakes against them either.

That OF you mention may be the worse OF defense that the majors will see next year.

paulrichjr
02-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Give him credit for one thing. Without him I doubt very seriously Jay Bruce signs a 51 million dollar contract this winter. The difference in Jay and to a lesser degree Stubbs was incredible after he came on board. He taught them something and for that Jay Bruce's heirs will forever be grateful....and maybe some Reds fans in 2011.

mth123
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Anybody else think that this just might be a ceremonial thing to allow Edmonds to retire a Cardinal? I'm betting he doesn't make it through the season. No inside info, just a hunch.

Big Klu
02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Anybody else think that this just might be a ceremonial thing to allow Edmonds to retire a Cardinal? I'm betting he doesn't make it through the season. No inside info, just a hunch.

I thought of that, too. Kind of like when Emmitt Smith re-signed with the Cowboys after playing for the Cardinals for a couple of years.

But woe unto him if he decides he actually wants to play this year.

NJReds
02-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Give him credit for one thing. Without him I doubt very seriously Jay Bruce signs a 51 million dollar contract this winter. The difference in Jay and to a lesser degree Stubbs was incredible after he came on board. He taught them something and for that Jay Bruce's heirs will forever be grateful....and maybe some Reds fans in 2011.

I agree. It seemed like every time they showed a shot of the dugout he was talking to Bruce. Maybe it was coincidence, but Bruce really took off when Edmonds was here.

Jpup
02-05-2011, 06:18 PM

The legend continues to grow. I think Jay Bruce is responsible for Jay Bruce.

Big Klu
02-05-2011, 06:26 PM

I dunno. He's awfully unlucky.

MattyHo4Life
02-06-2011, 08:21 AM

I think that is exactly what this is. The Cards have had many chances to sign Edmonds in the past, and declined to do so. This signing brings a few positives, and none of them have anything to do with his production on the field. I don't think there are very many expectations of Edmonds on the field this year if he even makes the team. One advantage is that he is a fan favorite. This is a cheap signing that will make the fans happy. I think another reason is that the Cards are hoping Edmond's will help improve the chemistry in the clubhouse. I think the most important part of this signing is that the Cards may be hoping that Edmonds will be a mentor to Colby Rasmus, and possibly be a buffer between him and LaRussa. If there is any player that can deal with LaRussa, it would be Edmonds. I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonds retires during the season and becomes a coach.

MattyHo4Life
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
I'm wondering if Edmonds will want to be a coach after his playing carer is over.

Captain Hook
02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Many here give Edmonds a ton of credit for Jay Bruce and his MVP caliber last month of the season.For those that believe this, I wonder how much you think Edmonds being in the opposite dugout advising the other team teams pitchers on what to do when Jay is at the plate will get in his head.

Homer Bailey
02-06-2011, 03:23 PM
How will Chris Carpenter explain to his son that Jim Edmonds will always be on the DL?

kaldaniels
02-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't have much to add other than I don't believe Edmonds was responsible for much if any of Bruce's late season tear. He was a good influence, but nothing more. Just my opinion, with nothing to back it up.

Captain Hook
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
I don't have much to add other than I don't believe Edmonds was responsible for much if any of Bruce's late season tear. He was a good influence, but nothing more. Just my opinion, with nothing to back it up.

I agree.

Captain Hook
02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
I also think Edmonds is done.He's the only player that I've ever seen injure himself hitting a HR.

Caveman Techie
02-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Kendry Morales last season broke his leg during a grand slam celebration in May. Although I will say Edmonds is the first one I've ever seen do it while jogging the bases.

bucksfan2
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Surprised at the animosity towards Edmonds. He was traded for, not the other way around. I guess he could have rejected the trade but it sure would be nice to play for a winning team instead of a team in 3rd place. Then he signs a minor league deal with a team that he had his glory days with as well as a chance to earn a spot. If he stayed with the Reds he would be behind Stubbs, Bruce, Gomes, and Lewis battling it out with Hermidia and Heisey as well as any other rookie surprises. IMO he would have been 6th or 7th in the pecking order if he resigned with the Reds.

Jpup
02-07-2011, 09:29 AM
Surprised at the animosity towards Edmonds. He was traded for, not the other way around. I guess he could have rejected the trade but it sure would be nice to play for a winning team instead of a team in 3rd place. Then he signs a minor league deal with a team that he had his glory days with as well as a chance to earn a spot. If he stayed with the Reds he would be behind Stubbs, Bruce, Gomes, and Lewis battling it out with Hermidia and Heisey as well as any other rookie surprises. IMO he would have been 6th or 7th in the pecking order if he resigned with the Reds.

He's a Cardinal. What do you expect? That's almost like cheering for a Cub. I don't wish him harm, but no way I hope he does well.

Spitball
02-07-2011, 10:10 PM

I agree. The Cards are a logical choice considering his history in that city and the Reds obvious lack of need for his declining services. The Reds have six guys better tham Edmonds at this point, and the Cardinals have a first baseman (Berkman) starting in their outfield. The Cards just make more sense.

Walt Jocketty stated that he felt the guy was likely to retire which tells me he was not even in contact with Edmonds about a future employment. Good...they need to move forward with what they now have.

Blitz Dorsey
02-08-2011, 01:04 AM

Welcome to sports. Sometimes, there is no rational explanation for why we dislike the players we do. Edmonds is just one of those guys I dislike. I didn't like hearing the news that we landed him last year ... and then he went out there and added NADA to the team down the stretch due to him being 400 years old. This added to my dislike of him. And now, when I finally thought he was in a nursing home where he belongs, he signs with the Cardinals.

You really shouldn't be all that surprised at the animosity towards Edmonds from your fellow Reds fans. Not to mention he gets a free pass with the whole PED thing even though he was an obvious user IMO.

reds44
02-08-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't like Edmonds either, but some of the comments in here are completely over the top lol.

Ron Madden
02-08-2011, 03:37 AM
I don't like Edmonds either, but some of the comments in here are completely over the top lol.

I agree.

I've always thought Edmonds was a Hot Dog but ya gotta give credit where credit is due. Like him or not, Jim Edmonds has had a fine career.

Always Red
02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Edmonds injured already, questionable for start of ST:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/foot-injury-hinders-edmonds-cardinal-comeback.html

Sea Ray
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Edmonds injured already, questionable for start of ST:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2011/02/foot-injury-hinders-edmonds-cardinal-comeback.html

I felt he ought to retire because he likely couldn't stay healthy but the fact that he's hurt before pitchers and catchers report surprises even me

TRF
02-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Jim Edmonds kicked my dog while explaining something to Chris Carpenter's son.

So, I loathe him.

Ron Madden
02-16-2011, 03:46 AM
I'm very happy that Edmonds chose to sign with St Louis instead of the Reds.

Brutus
02-16-2011, 03:55 AM

I'll have to go back and find the quotes if I can, but Bruce, Votto and several others commented that Edmonds' presence was a big boost. Bruce himself said that Edmonds helped him not be "so jumpy" at the plate.

I don't think this is just a legend. I think Edmonds really had a positive effect on Bruce.