PDA

View Full Version : Andy Pettitte to retire

Chip R
02-03-2011, 04:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6086575 (http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6086575)

medford
02-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Hall of Famer? I wonder if he'll be the first to get a pass for Steriod use?

redsfandan
02-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Anyone that thought the yankees still had a shot to win that division may want to rethink that.

Griffey012
02-03-2011, 04:52 PM
The Yanks should be looking long and hard at all of our pitchers for a potential trade. And we are in a position to make them significantly overpay. There is no way they go into the season with Garcia and Colon as potential starters.

Bill
02-03-2011, 05:33 PM
One more good season would have helped him in making a case for the hall otherwise it will be difficult, steroids or not.

Joseph
02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Hall of very good, not hall of fame.

Griffey012
02-03-2011, 07:14 PM
He shouldn't really even be in the conversation for the hall of fame. He had 2 outstanding seasons in 1997 and 2005. Otherwise the majority of his seasons look pretty similar to those of Arroyo. 9/16 seasons with an ERA over 4.00, definitely a solid pitcher, but he pitched nearly his entire career playing on very good teams, his W-L record would not be anywhere near 240-138 if he played on the caliber of teams most all pitchers end up playing on.

camisadelgolf
02-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Based on only the numbers, he's a Hall of Famer in my book although it wouldn't be difficult to talk me out of it. 240 wins, mostly in the AL East during the steroid area, to go with a ton of excellent post-season performances makes for a pretty good case. But obviously, Pettitte's case goes beyond just the numbers.

GADawg
02-03-2011, 10:20 PM
i'm really shocked...i thought he had enough favre in him to return and i would've bet any amount on it(does this belong in the "Pete" thread?). Seriously though are we completely ruling him out for a mid-season return?

edabbs44
02-04-2011, 03:24 AM
Burnett! Bartolo! Freddy Garcia! These are your 2011 NY Yankees!

bucksfan2
02-04-2011, 08:35 AM

I would take Burnett! Maybe not for the money the Yankees are paying him but I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Reds uni. But yea Bartolo and Garcia could be a train wreck.

pahster
02-04-2011, 08:53 AM

That would have been an awesome rotation ten years ago.

membengal
02-04-2011, 09:25 AM
A spahn and sain and pray for rain update may be in order:

Sabathia and hughes and then time to pray in the pews.

Jpup
02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
I believe Andy was waiting and hoping the Clemens trial would be delayed, but it's wasn't and then retired. Best reasoning I have heard so far, anyway.

cincrazy
02-04-2011, 09:53 AM

The scariest part of that is that the Yankees really don't know how Hughes is going to respond this year after an increased workload last year. True, he could make huge improvements. Or, he could stay status quo, or even regress. In which the Yanks could be looking at a train wreck of a season.

Couple that rotation with an aging offense with several underperforming, high-paid stars, and I think the Yanks are in for a looonnnnnngggggg summer.

Jpup
02-04-2011, 09:55 AM
The scariest part of that is that the Yankees really don't know how Hughes is going to respond this year after an increased workload last year. True, he could make huge improvements. Or, he could stay status quo, or even regress. In which the Yanks could be looking at a train wreck of a season.

Couple that rotation with an aging offense with several underperforming, high-paid stars, and I think the Yanks are in for a looonnnnnngggggg summer.

They are the Yankees, they have plenty of money to throw at someone if they can stay close until the end of July. I don't see them going with CC, Hughes, Burnett, Nova or Mitre or Garcia and that's it. I could also see them throwing Joba back into the rotation.

edabbs44
02-04-2011, 11:13 AM

CC and Hughes and then you're gonna lose.

cumberlandreds
02-04-2011, 11:19 AM
I believe Andy was waiting and hoping the Clemens trial would be delayed, but it's wasn't and then retired. Best reasoning I have heard so far, anyway.

I wondered about that too. He may have seen a very
tumultuous summer in NYC with that trial going on.

As for his HOF chances, he does have 19 post season wins. That's the record. I would say that would put him over the top for many voters. It will be interesting see if he gets in when he's eligible.

camisadelgolf
02-04-2011, 11:32 AM
CC and Hughes and then you're gonna lose.
CC and Hughes, and then better start drinking booze. If not, it's bad news, and who's to choose to pick up clues to use for when hilarity ensues?

RedsBaron
02-04-2011, 02:39 PM
He shouldn't really even be in the conversation for the hall of fame. He had 2 outstanding seasons in 1997 and 2005. Otherwise the majority of his seasons look pretty similar to those of Arroyo. 9/16 seasons with an ERA over 4.00, definitely a solid pitcher, but he pitched nearly his entire career playing on very good teams, his W-L record would not be anywhere near 240-138 if he played on the caliber of teams most all pitchers end up playing on.

I agree. I realize he had 19 post season wins, but that was partially as a result of playing for the Yankees most of his career. His World Series record of 5-4 with a 4.06 ERA isn't fantastic, just decent. I don't see how he should be in the HOF over Tommy John or Jim Kaat or Luis Tiant. Among his contemporaries Pettite would rank behind Maddux, Clemens, Pedro, The Big Unit, Glavine, Smoltz, Schilling, and Mussina among the pitchers who have already retired, and also behind several others who are still active. Probably at no point in his career did Pettite rank as one of the top five starting pitchers in the game.

bucksfan2
02-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I agree. I realize he had 19 post season wins, but that was partially as a result of playing for the Yankees most of his career. His World Series record of 5-4 with a 4.06 ERA isn't fantastic, just decent. I don't see how he should be in the HOF over Tommy John or Jim Kaat or Luis Tiant. Among his contemporaries Pettite would rank behind Maddux, Clemens, Pedro, The Big Unit, Glavine, Smoltz, Schilling, and Mussina among the pitchers who have already retired, and also behind several others who are still active. Probably at no point in his career did Pettite rank as one of the top five starting pitchers in the game.

What you said puts Pettite in borderline HOF territory right now. Couple that with his admission to using steroids and you have a NO.