PDA

View Full Version : Orioles spend $8 million for...what exactly?

savafan
02-04-2011, 10:36 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/4/1975809/vladimir-guerrero-orioles-sign-contract-neyer

If you were making a list of the things that a team like the Orioles should not do, spending $8 million on a player like Vladimir Guerrero is really close to the top.

Blitz Dorsey
02-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I see what you mean ... because they have no shot at competing in that division ... but really that's not a bad deal for Vlad. He's old, not what he used to be, but he's coming off a good year and $8 mil is about right for him for a one-year deal. I'm surprised a contender in the AL didn't make a play for him as a DH/part-time OF. Yeah, the O's are a strange fit, no question.

HeatherC1212
02-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Well, he does give them help with something that they struggled with last year....offense, LOL ;)

The O's have put together a nice team for this coming year. I'd love to see them make some noise in that tough AL East division and make things interesting for the other teams there. :D

The Operator
02-05-2011, 03:51 AM
They certainly played better after Buck Showalter took over as their skipper.

Their chances are slim, but strangers things have happened. They certainly have some talent on their roster.

Ron Madden
02-05-2011, 03:54 AM
They certainly played better after Buck Showalter took over as their skipper.

Their chances are slim, but strangers things have happened. They certainly have some talent on their roster.

I like Adam Jones.

mth123
02-05-2011, 07:02 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2011/2/4/1975809/vladimir-guerrero-orioles-sign-contract-neyer

If you were making a list of the things that a team like the Orioles should not do, spending $8 million on a player like Vladimir Guerrero is really close to the top.

I think they signed a guy who can provide some pop in the middle of the order while more kids grow-up and who can be dealt at the deadline to help add to the young core. Probably only ends-up costing $5 Million or so.

Oxilon
02-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I like Adam Jones.

Too bad he's wanted in Canada. ;)

Blitz Dorsey
02-05-2011, 01:25 PM
They got the "new manager bump" after Buck came in last year, but they'll come back down to earth and then some this year. They have no pitching. They play in a brutal division (Red Sox are going to crush everyone this year ... Yankees will score a ton of runs). They do have some offensive talent, but some of those guys have been underachievers thus far (Wieters, Adam Jones, Markakis wasn't up to par last year). Landing Derrek Lee, Vlad, Reynolds and Hardy sure improves their offense, but their pitching is so bad that it won't matter much.

_Sir_Charles_
02-05-2011, 03:35 PM
I like the O's and I like Vlad...but I've got to admit...I don't see this one working out. The Orioles are a bit too far away from seriously competing and Vlad is cruising downhill towards the end of his career...this contract looks to be a bad move IMO. Especially at that dollar amount.

jmcclain19
02-05-2011, 04:01 PM
I would disagree.

#1 - Someone has to DH. Might as well be a guy who could (heavy emphasis on could) rake.
#2 - Losing beats down anyone over time. The core of that team - Markakis, Wieters, Jones, etc have been there for a couple of seasons now. Their pitching isn't quite ready for prime time yet, that might be another season away. Might as well keep the hope alive while the pitching develops. And those young guys need some confidence that they don't need to throw a 2-1 CG every night to win.

$8 mil - the Os are saving money at most positions because they don't have any big contracts. Vlad also is a name. And people like big names for whatever it's worth. People who have been staying away from Camden in droves in recent years.

camisadelgolf
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
2011 Orioles = 2010 Mariners?

jmcclain19
02-05-2011, 04:08 PM
2011 Orioles = 2010 Mariners?

I'd say no because I don't think anyone even on the Baltimore FO team is saying "We're going to win this year"

The Ms were the "sleeper" team of 2010 by pretty much every major flapping gum analyst who had a mic or a keyboard.

And Balitmore's pitching as a whole is better than Seattle IMO. Hernandez is worth two guys but the Os have about 7 guys they can throw out there to get results.

HeatherC1212
02-05-2011, 04:12 PM
I would disagree.

#1 - Someone has to DH. Might as well be a guy who could (heavy emphasis on could) rake.
#2 - Losing beats down anyone over time. The core of that team - Markakis, Wieters, Jones, etc have been there for a couple of seasons now. Their pitching isn't quite ready for prime time yet, that might be another season away. Might as well keep the hope alive while the pitching develops. And those young guys need some confidence that they don't need to throw a 2-1 CG every night to win.

$8 mil - the Os are saving money at most positions because they don't have any big contracts. Vlad also is a name. And people like big names for whatever it's worth. People who have been staying away from Camden in droves in recent years.

I agree with this bolded part. Their pitching isn't horrible, it's just very young and still developing. I'd love to have Brian Matusz and Jake Arrieta pitching for the Reds, they're both very good, and they have to pitch in a much tougher division too. They will be an interesting team to watch this coming year. Personally, I'd love to see them make things crazy for the AL East because that would be really fun, LOL :laugh:

Mario-Rijo
02-05-2011, 09:43 PM
Perhaps the '09 version of the Reds head scratcher, Scott Rolen? Many viewed that move the same way, the same might also have been said about the '10 Rangers. I know they aren't likely to win like the above teams but I don't think the move hurts anything really.

PuffyPig
02-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Guererro hit fairly well last year and is going to a team who can use him in LF or DH.

Berkamn didn't hit last year and is going to a team who has to use him in RF.

And both make $8M.

Griffey012
02-06-2011, 02:11 AM
I love Baltimore's off-season. They have a good young nucleus. They have filled holes. And they are putting together a product which during the off-season will sell some tickets. Odds are they will not make the playoffs, but I will not be surprised at all to see them above .500. Their pitching staff is young and talented (better than the Yankees 1-5), I look for them to take a big step forward, and their offense is shaping up to be very solid outside of Izturis. It will be one heck of a division.

I will never fault an owner/GM for spending money on a player that will help them compete, regardless of how the outsiders view the club.

Who knows, no "professional" thought we would make the playoffs last year.

I say go Baltimore.

membengal
02-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Well said Griffey012. I don't get the derision of this deal. Vlad still has a good stick, and the O's had a need. What's the issue?

Am I supposed to cry for Nolan Reimold/Felix Pie? Because I am not going to. Guerrero and Luke Scott split LF/DH. And that line-up is all of a sudden not awful:

Roberts 2b
Markakis RF
Lee 1b
Guerrero LF/DH
Jones CF
Scott LF/DH
Reynolds 3b
Wieters C
Hardy SS

I gotta say, that's pretty impressive. They are in a brutal division, but for this next year, they've given their fans a reason to think about coming to the park. As for the pitching staff, Matusz and Arrieta are good young pitchers who give some hope.

On top of everything else, it was just a one year contract to Vlad (and to Lee), so they have money back available to go after Fielder next off-season.

Seriously, I don't get the criticism. That line-up is now good enough that I think I will wander down to Camden more than usual for me this year. Given the consecutive losing season run they are on (I think its 13 losing seasons in a row now), if they can make a run at .500, that would actually be huge for that organization and its fanbase.

mth123
02-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Well said Griffey012. I don't get the derision of this deal. Vlad still has a good stick, and the O's had a need. What's the issue?

Am I supposed to cry for Nolan Reimold/Felix Pie? Because I am not going to. Guerrero and Luke Scott split LF/DH. And that line-up is all of a sudden not awful:

Roberts 2b
Markakis RF
Lee 1b
Guerrero LF/DH
Jones CF
Scott LF/DH
Reynolds 3b
Wieters C
Hardy SS

I gotta say, that's pretty impressive. They are in a brutal division, but for this next year, they've given their fans a reason to think about coming to the park. As for the pitching staff, Matusz and Arrieta are good young pitchers who give some hope.

On top of everything else, it was just a one year contract to Vlad (and to Lee), so they have money back available to go after Fielder next off-season.

Seriously, I don't get the criticism. That line-up is now good enough that I think I will wander down to Camden more than usual for me this year. Given the consecutive losing season run they are on (I think its 13 losing seasons in a row now), if they can make a run at .500, that would actually be huge for that organization and its fanbase.

Agreed and with Vlad, Lee and Hardy all just rentals it gives them some stuff to deal come July with the intent of adding another arm or possibly a young SS of the future. Teams like the Orioles number one need is to add talent. Signing vets to one year deals and shipping them off at the deadline for kids fits right with the rebuilding. People looking at this as a win now move are missing the point entirely.

membengal
02-06-2011, 08:25 AM
fwiw, mth, their SS of the future (albeit a few years off) should have arrived in the draft last year. They got the top SS prospect with the #3 overall pick in the first round.

But, yes, some tradeable pieces at the deadline if they so choose. And behind Matusz and Arrieta, they have a few more good prospects coming for the staff, including Zach Britton. Actual hope for the O's, for a change.

mth123
02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
fwiw, mth, their SS of the future (albeit a few years off) should have arrived in the draft last year. They got the top SS prospect with the #3 overall pick in the first round.

But, yes, some tradeable pieces at the deadline if they so choose. And behind Matusz and Arrieta, they have a few more good prospects coming for the staff, including Zach Britton. Actual hope for the O's, for a change.

You're right . Forgot about Machado. Still, more help will e coming as these guys are dealt away.

Griffey012
02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I love Baltimore's off-season. They have a good young nucleus. They have filled holes. And they are putting together a product which during the off-season will sell some tickets. Odds are they will not make the playoffs, but I will not be surprised at all to see them above .500. Their pitching staff is young and talented (better than the Yankees 1-5), I look for them to take a big step forward, and their offense is shaping up to be very solid outside of Izturis. It will be one heck of a division.

I will never fault an owner/GM for spending money on a player that will help them compete, regardless of how the outsiders view the club.

Who knows, no "professional" thought we would make the playoffs last year.

I say go Baltimore.

I exaggerated on that statement a bit. I forgot they no longer had Millwood. But Matusz, Arrieta, and Jeremy Guthrie (who is pretty underrated) are all solid and some combination to Chris Tillman, Duchscherer, and Zach Britton could be solid.

GADawg
02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
i've already stated on here that the O's are my American League team! now that the Reds are contenders I guess I need an big underdog to root for...years of losing has made me sick like that I suppose.

at the very least the Vladdy, Lee, and Reynolds signings should give protection to those young supposed studs so that we can all find out what they can really do

pedro
02-06-2011, 06:46 PM
The O's, like all baseball teams, are in the business of providing entertainment to their fans. Vlad helps meet that goal.

edabbs44
02-07-2011, 08:48 AM
This could be the year where the Yanks fall...Baltimore has an opportunity to provide hope to their fans in 2011.

PuffyPig
02-07-2011, 08:52 AM
I exaggerated on that statement a bit. I forgot they no longer had Millwood.

LIke Millwood would have made a difference?

4-16, 5.10?

GADawg
02-07-2011, 09:01 AM

4-16, 5.10?

Millwood may end up in NY thus making that statement true!:D

Griffey012
02-07-2011, 05:46 PM

4-16, 5.10?

I'd take Millwood in the rotation over whatever guy ends up winning the rotation 5th spot. He is a veteran that you know is going to give you close to 200 solid innings. Not great, but definitely solid. The 4-16 record makes the 5.10 E.R.A. look a lot worse.