PDA

View Full Version : If Joba was a Red...

GADawg
02-05-2011, 09:20 PM
would anyone outside of us know him? I constantly hear talk shows and analysts bring up Joba's name and gush over him but outside of being a couple of years younger is he better than Nick Masset? Looking at their numbers they're not all that dissimilar. I never hear Masset's name mentioned and I'll admit Joba's upside sets him apart but not as much as being a Yankee.

RedEye
02-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Shouldn't that be "If Joba were a Red..."?

Apologies, as always, for the grammar police. :-)

BTW, I actually don't think most folks would have heard of him if he were a Red. That's assuming, of course, that Cincy would handle him the same way. He's a super talented pitcher, and frankly misused by the Yanks, so if he were on Cincy he might have had a better look in the rotation by now--which would mean, IMO, he would be well-known anyway.

GADawg
02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
just looked Joba up on Baseball Reference and one of the pitchers he was most similar to through age 24 was Manny Sarmiento...sweet!

dfs
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM
A yankee prospect overvalued by the national press.

Nah. Couldn't be.

Chip R
02-06-2011, 12:55 AM
would anyone outside of us know him? I constantly hear talk shows and analysts bring up Joba's name and gush over him but outside of being a couple of years younger is he better than Nick Masset? Looking at their numbers they're not all that dissimilar. I never hear Masset's name mentioned and I'll admit Joba's upside sets him apart but not as much as being a Yankee.

You have a great point. He's just another in a long line of hard throwers. He had some early success with the Yankees and all the mediots thought he was the Second Coming. OTOH, Chapman seems to be getting a lot of publicity.

Griffey012
02-06-2011, 03:03 AM
Brandon Claussen, clap, clap...clap,clap,clap.

Maybe we would have heard of him, because he would have cracked a rotation or bullpen of some team, but we would not have heard of him to the extent we have.

Could you imagine if Leake or Wood was on the Yankees? Leake would have already been on the cover of SI, and I am not trying to exaggerate.

Topcat
02-06-2011, 04:17 AM
Brandon Claussen, clap, clap...clap,clap,clap.

Maybe we would have heard of him, because he would have cracked a rotation or bullpen of some team, but we would not have heard of him to the extent we have.

Could you imagine if Leake or Wood was on the Yankees? Leake would have already been on the cover of SI, and I am not trying to exaggerate.

:thumbup: You so speak the truth.

blumj
02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm going to disagree a little. Guys who show up from the minors lighting up radar guns and flashing dominance in the late innings for contenders always cause something of a stir, see: Chapman, Feliz, Bard, Zumaya. The great starter/reliever debate and the Joba rules bit got too much attention, but the Yankees handled it all so strangely.