PDA

View Full Version : Listening to Reds' Games on an Android Device?

Boss-Hog
02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Hi all,

When the Reds have afternoon games and I'm at work, it's tough for me to listen because 1). the company I work for is not too liberal with non-business internet usage, so streaming online isn't an option and 2). the small boombox I have at work doesn't get very good reception inside the office. Unless I'm missing something obvious, the only other thing I can think of is to listen to a stream on my Android phone. Does anyone know of an application that gets a simulcast or some other way to listen this way? I'm fairly sure that the iheartradio app isn't an option because I believe Reds' games are blacked out online/via a phone app; if that's not the case, please let me know. Thanks in advance. :)

dougdirt
02-09-2011, 09:35 PM
You could probably listen via a subscription, but I don't think you will be able to do so for free. At least legally.

Boss-Hog
02-09-2011, 09:38 PM
You could probably listen via a subscription, but I don't think you will be able to do so for free. At least legally.
Are we talking like the MLB at Bat app for Android? If so, I believe I had considered that option but it was too expensive to be able to listen to the relatively small amount of weekday afternoon games the Reds have. I can't remember the price but I recall it being enough that I'd just get by with the subpar radio reception I get.

GADawg
02-09-2011, 09:41 PM
i have no technical abilities or knowledge...I tivo all the games and my biggest hurdle is trying to get home before someone tells me the outcome...my golfing buddies(RedSox and Card fans) love to tick me off my texting me during the day

Boss-Hog
02-09-2011, 09:43 PM
i have no technical abilities or knowledge...I tivo all the games and my biggest hurdle is trying to get home before someone tells me the outcome...my golfing buddies(RedSox and Card fans) love to tick me off my texting me during the day
I occasionally have that problem with a few other sports teams when I have plans that prevent me from watching a game live. It usually doesn't apply to the Reds, though, because the afternoon weekday games are rarely, if ever, televised in Cincinnati.

Redsfan320
02-09-2011, 10:02 PM
I occasionally have that problem with a few other sports teams when I have plans that prevent me from watching a game live. It usually doesn't apply to the Reds, though, because the afternoon weekday games are rarely, if ever, televised in Cincinnati.

'Bout all of 'em will be this year, as we have so many national games, and FSO has to fill its 145-game quota.

Plus Plus
02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Are we talking like the MLB at Bat app for Android? If so, I believe I had considered that option but it was too expensive to be able to listen to the relatively small amount of weekday afternoon games the Reds have. I can't remember the price but I recall it being enough that I'd just get by with the subpar radio reception I get.

I have an iPhone, and for what it's worth MLB at bat 2010 cost $14.99, so I would assume the same price for 2011.

Not sure if that affects your decision one way or the other, but just throwing that out there.

Homer Bailey
02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
Boss,

Try downloading the "TuneIn Radio" app. I'm not sure if you'll actually be able to get MLB games (I'm sure MLB locks down on those pretty hard), but you can basically connect to a large amount of radio stations for any city in the country. So you could try the Reds broadcast in Cincinnati (probably blocked), Columbus, Dayton, etc. PM me if you want some more details/explanation. I listen to WVU games all the time on it, and the quality is incredible (slight delay though).

alexad
02-10-2011, 12:23 AM
I use the atbat on my iPhone. It is well worth it. The information you can get box scores actual game time stats and you can listen to all the games of any team. I love it. Well worth the money. I would be lost without it. Highly recommend it.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Boss,

Try downloading the "TuneIn Radio" app. I'm not sure if you'll actually be able to get MLB games (I'm sure MLB locks down on those pretty hard), but you can basically connect to a large amount of radio stations for any city in the country. So you could try the Reds broadcast in Cincinnati (probably blocked), Columbus, Dayton, etc. PM me if you want some more details/explanation. I listen to WVU games all the time on it, and the quality is incredible (slight delay though).
I actually have that app and I'm hoping I'm able to pick up a station that broadcasts Reds' games where it's not blocked. I guess I won't know if that will work until the games start.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2011, 07:00 AM
MLB At Bat is not as expensive ($14.99 for the year) as I remember it being. My only holdup with that is I suspect I may be blacked out in the Cincinnati area since the specifications state that it's subject to blackout. Can anyone who has it confirm if that is the case?

Reds Fanatic
02-10-2011, 07:53 AM
MLB At Bat is not as expensive ($14.99 for the year) as I remember it being. My only holdup with that is I suspect I may be blacked out in the Cincinnati area since the specifications state that it's subject to blackout. Can anyone who has it confirm if that is the case?

You can listen to the games on the MLB AT Bat app. The audio is not blacked out if you get the app which I highly recommend. They usually have one or two games on video each day on the app as well. When a Reds game is carried on video those do get blacked out locally but you should be fine for audio of the games.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2011, 07:57 AM
Thanks for confirming - I guess what I saw in the product specs is only applicable to the video portion, as you mentioned. Thanks again.

You can listen to the games on the MLB AT Bat app. The audio is not blacked out if you get the app which I highly recommend. They usually have one or two games on video each day on the app as well. When a Reds game is carried on video those do get blacked out locally but you should be fine for audio of the games.

wolfboy
02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Thanks for confirming - I guess what I saw in the product specs is only applicable to the video portion, as you mentioned. Thanks again.

It's a great app Boss. I'd highly recommend it. I never encountered any blackout issues, so I don't think that applies to the radio portion. I think the $15 is a fair price as you have access to all MLB games, and you can select the home or away broadcast. It also adds highlight video clips during the games. I definitely got my $15 out of it last year.

Caveman Techie
02-10-2011, 08:11 AM
I work downtown Cincinnati and can't get an AM radio signal to penetrate the concrete jungle I'm in. MLB at BAT2010 for my blackberry was the best 15$ I spent last year. You get the audio streaming live, but also get the video highlights (usually every half inning behind) and condensed games also. I still go back and watch Bruces' homerun that clinched the division. :)

*edit Forgot to add the only downside to the app on my Blackberry was, it drained my battery faster than my wife drains the bank account. So have remote charging capabilities if possible.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the info - my Droid X eats through the extended battery much faster than my BB Curve ever did, so I already have an extra charger at work. :)

I work downtown Cincinnati and can't get an AM radio signal to penetrate the concrete jungle I'm in. MLB at BAT2010 for my blackberry was the best 15$ I spent last year. You get the audio streaming live, but also get the video highlights (usually every half inning behind) and condensed games also. I still go back and watch Bruces' homerun that clinched the division. :)

*edit Forgot to add the only downside to the app on my Blackberry was, it drained my battery faster than my wife drains the bank account. So have remote charging capabilities if possible.

Homer Bailey
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
I actually have that app and I'm hoping I'm able to pick up a station that broadcasts Reds' games where it's not blocked. I guess I won't know if that will work until the games start.

Yeah, I'd imagine you can give it a solid test run during the spring training games though.

Boss-Hog
02-10-2011, 10:41 AM
Agreed :)

Yeah, I'd imagine you can give it a solid test run during the spring training games though.

TRF
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Can't wait to see highlights on my 5" Dell streak. I will be getting this app!

TRF
02-10-2011, 10:45 AM
MLB at bat 2010 right now shows as a free download on my Streak.

Homer Bailey
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Can't wait to see highlights on my 5" Dell streak. I will be getting this app!

If I were you, I'd email MLBtv about getting live video for the Streak. I emailed about my Incredible and they said they planned to have it shortly.

Unassisted
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
IIRC, last year's ST games were available on the regular stream of WLW. I listened from my Internet radio, something I only dream of doing during the regular season.

All you would need to pick up the WLW stream on Android is the iheartradio app.

Redsfan320
02-11-2011, 09:58 PM
On a side note: Myself, Unassisted, and TRF all changed avatars today. Kinda odd. TRF, you were one of the few who still had the same avatar as when I joined here. Now WoY, Pedro, Tommyjohn25, and Brutus are about the only ones I can think of.

WVRedsFan
02-12-2011, 12:49 AM
Yep. I subscribe to the MLB At Bat program on my BlackBerry. For $14.,95 I get the game audio and I can stream it to my Ford through Sync or just listen on earphones at work. That's less than $3 per month and I consider it a deal. And on my Torch, battery life is not a problem. When I was on vacation at Myrtle Beach, I listened to west coast games and never lost battery even after using the phone for business all day. Of course, when at work or in the car, you can always plug it in,

cincyinco
02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
On a side note: Myself, Unassisted, and TRF all changed avatars today. Kinda odd. TRF, you were one of the few who still had the same avatar as when I joined here. Now WoY, Pedro, Tommyjohn25, and Brutus are about the only ones I can think of.

I know I dont post as much as I used to, but still rockin the same avatar. Doesnt seem as fitting though with the Reds success..much better vibe around here these days, a lot less yelling.. ;)

Unassisted
02-13-2011, 02:36 PM
On a side note: Myself, Unassisted, and TRF all changed avatars today. Kinda odd. TRF, you were one of the few who still had the same avatar as when I joined here.
New season, new look. :cool:

I used to switch avatars a few times a year, but decided to quit sporting an avatar after losing access to Photoshop and the ability to customize.

Last summer, I picked up the Adobe Creative Suite, got Photoshop back again and re-learned how to use the CS4 version. We'll see if I get inspired to do more with avatars.

WebScorpion
02-13-2011, 06:39 PM

I've had the same avatar for 10 years... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep027.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

jmcclain19
02-19-2011, 06:15 PM
I have an iPhone, and for what it's worth MLB at bat 2010 cost $14.99, so I would assume the same price for 2011.

Not sure if that affects your decision one way or the other, but just throwing that out there.

The MLB at bat app for my iphone lead me to canceling extra innings this year.

I get to listen to all the games in the late afternoon while at work, head home, spend time with my kids, then watch every pitch put into play of the Reds, and any other game that night. In an hour I can watch half a dozen games.

Saves money and time. Great app and worth the $15.

Was $12 two years ago so it may go up again in price for 2011.

smith288
02-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Got the atbat app and would use it as i mowed the lawn. Most expensive app I get (hey, I'm cheap) but the most worth it.

MartyFan
02-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I've had the same avatar for 10 years... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-sleep027.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

I've had the same avatar since I signed up.

smith288
02-20-2011, 12:57 PM
I just changed mine to some Alice in chains

WebScorpion
02-24-2011, 12:11 PM
MLB at bat 2010 right now shows as a free download on my Streak.
They now have MLB at bat 2011 for $14.95 and MLB at bat lite 2011 for free in the Android Market. I think the lite is for Spring Training. I've loaded it up and I'll check it out during Saturday's game! Baseball!!!! :beerme:

Unassisted
02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
I think the lite is for Spring Training.Lite doesn't include audio, just scores and game data.

Homer Bailey
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
Any word on video on the HTC Incredible yet?

Boss-Hog
02-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Or the Droid X? :)

Homer Bailey
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
Or the Droid X? :)

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2320664&postcount=49

Dear Chris:

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is a list of supported Android phones capable of live streaming video of the games. We will be adding more phone to the list of supported devices including the Incredible. The list is as follows:

Droid
Droid 2
Droid X
HTC Evo
Samsung Epic

If you have any further questions please feel free to call our Mobile Customer Support at 1-866-306-5311.

Sincerely,
MLB.com Customer Support

Boss-Hog
02-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Awesome...thanks a ton.

On second glance, this isn't really applicable for me since it requires an MLB.TV subscription and living in Cincinnati, I have no need for that. It is good news for the out of town fans such as yourself, though. Thanks again.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2320664&postcount=49

Boss-Hog
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
Right on cue, I just checked the Android Market and MLB At Bat 11 is now available.

Nevermind, I see WS beat me to the punch. :)

Boss-Hog
02-25-2011, 06:34 PM
I just purchased it and the app confirms the HTC Incredible is now on the video supported list.

Homer Bailey
02-25-2011, 06:42 PM
I just purchased it and the app confirms the HTC Incredible is now on the video supported list.

:rockband::dancingco

Captain Hook
02-26-2011, 02:34 AM
Awesome...thanks a ton.

On second glance, this isn't really applicable for me since it requires an MLB.TV subscription and living in Cincinnati, I have no need for that. It is good news for the out of town fans such as yourself, though. Thanks again.

You can buy the 14.99 app and get all the live audio(for all teams) and stats provided.FYI blackout restriction do not apply to live game audio.In Columbus I'm unable to watch the Reds on mlb.tv or my iphone but I alway have them tuned in on FSN.Following all the other action on my iphone or computer is a lot of fun, especially the last few months when the Reds will once again be fighting for a division title and playoff birth!!!

edit:it would be nice if mlb or fsn could see how much time my tv spends tuned into baseball during the season.That and the facts that I spend over $100 for mlb.tv and another $15 for the iphone app and also that I make the almost 2 hour trip to Cincinnati 5-10 time a year to watch the Reds and you'd think they'd never black anything out.How much more can I contribute?

TRF
02-26-2011, 05:59 PM
lite version working on my tricked out Dell Streak.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!

smith288
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I have my setup ready. FSN+slingbox=happiness

Boss-Hog
03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Thanks again for everyone's advice in this thread. Today was a perfect example of why my purchase of At Bat 11 has already been well worth it: neither game today against the A's and Angels were on WLW, yet I was able to listen to either one, while at work, on the opponents' feed. I agree with everyone that highly recommended this app.

TRF
03-01-2011, 05:13 PM
I ended up buying it today. got to listen to a few innings.

So if i buy MLB.tv, I'll get to view games on my android phone? They sure imply that on the website.

Boss-Hog
03-01-2011, 05:20 PM

So if i buy MLB.tv, I'll get to view games on my android phone? They sure imply that on the website.
From my understanding, yes, if you have one of the currently supported phones. I do, but living in Cincinnati, there's no need (that I'm aware of) for me to buy MLB.tv.

TRF
ooh. big fat liars....

this page says WATCH 150 games live on android phones.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/devices.jsp

this page only mentions audio for ST, live video IF you are a MLB.tv subscriber after opening day. iPhone users get the live video as part of the app, which hardly seems fair.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/mobile/atbat/index.jsp?c_id=mlb

guess I'll start saving cans or pop bottles.

Homer Bailey

Yes, but not until opening day. There will be no spring training games on video. Did you check to see that your droid has live video?

TRF
03-01-2011, 05:22 PM
My streak is almost never listed as it is usually considered a tablet and not a phone. where is the list of supported devices?

Homer Bailey
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
My streak is almost never listed as it is usually considered a tablet and not a phone. where is the list of supported devices?

Within my version of the app, I go to "information", then "Tips/Support", and it says "What devices support MLB.TV"? and the answer is:

Spring HTC Evo
Verizon HTC Incredible
Verizon Motorola Droid X

Additional devices are expected to support MLB.TV as new devices are released.

Homer Bailey
03-01-2011, 05:24 PM
I was also told this:

Dear Chris:

Thank you for your inquiry.

There is a list of supported Android phones capable of live streaming video of the games. We will be adding more phone to the list of supported devices including the Incredible. The list is as follows:

Droid
Droid 2
Droid X
HTC Evo
Samsung Epic

If you have any further questions please feel free to call our Mobile Customer Support at 1-866-306-5311.

Sincerely,
MLB.com Customer Support

TRF
03-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I was also told this:

can you post the page/email address where you submitted your question?

Homer Bailey
03-01-2011, 05:33 PM
can you post the page/email address where you submitted your question?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/help/contact_us.jsp

That should work.

If not, I would try this: mlb14@maileu.custhelp.com.

TRF
03-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks, just sent them my question.

Red in Chicago
03-20-2011, 01:19 PM
Has anyone tried the MLB At Bat app for an iPad yet? The past couple of years, I've enjoyed the app on my iPhone, but was was wondering if it's worth it on the iPad?

Captain Hook
03-21-2011, 02:06 AM
I imagine that it works as good and more then likely much better on ipad.Just a guess though.

A note about an other Apple product.I have the new Apple TV and a few days ago installed the latest update.When I rebooted I was very pleased to see a new MLB app that allows me to actually enjoy my mlb.tv subscription on an actual TV.:jump:

membengal
03-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Got a droid in part because of this thread as my current contract was up and I was due an upgrade. Sure have not been disappointed and the mlb app is soooo good it is almost beyond words. Three quick screen taps to reds baseball (or any other game). Just so full of win.

NDRed
03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
I bought the ap for my Droid Pro, which is not on the list of supported phones, and it works great The only problem I have had is that the volume is low when driving. I am trying to find a way to broadcast the stream through my car speakers.

Any ideas?

Hoosier Red
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
It's a great app Boss. I'd highly recommend it. I never encountered any blackout issues, so I don't think that applies to the radio portion. I think the $15 is a fair price as you have access to all MLB games, and you can select the home or away broadcast. It also adds highlight video clips during the games. I definitely got my $15 out of it last year.

I was going to ask about this because I see the Iphone App says you can get all the spring training games. This is great but I wanted to double check that I can get the regular season radio feeds too right?
I mean I can get them without re-subscribing?

Caveman Techie
03-21-2011, 01:50 PM
I bought the ap for my Droid Pro, which is not on the list of supported phones, and it works great The only problem I have had is that the volume is low when driving. I am trying to find a way to broadcast the stream through my car speakers.

Any ideas?

FM Transmitters for MP3's (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/iPod-MP3-Accessories/MP3-FM-Transmitters/abcat0208031.c?id=abcat0208031)

I used to use one of these to transmit podcasts to my car stereo back before I got a radio with an aux input. It worked pretty well, you just have to make sure you are on a frequency that isn't occupied (surprising hard to do here in Cincinnati). Just make sure you get one that uses the regular audio jack as the source and not the Ipod specific ones that plug in to the sync port of the Ipods.

TRF
03-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Got a droid in part because of this thread as my current contract was up and I was due an upgrade. Sure have not been disappointed and the mlb app is soooo good it is almost beyond words. Three quick screen taps to reds baseball (or any other game). Just so full of win.

you can make the reds your favorite team and put the app on a screen as a widget. it will always show the current or last game in the widget. from there i think it is one click to the preview or scoreboard, and maybe one more to listen.

membengal
03-21-2011, 02:54 PM
you can make the reds your favorite team and put the app on a screen as a widget. it will always show the current or last game in the widget. from there i think it is one click to the preview or scoreboard, and maybe one more to listen.

Absolutely delighful news I can use.

Homer Bailey
03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Video not working on my phone. Hopefully this is just an opening day thing.

wolfboy
03-31-2011, 02:18 PM
Video not working on my phone. Hopefully this is just an opening day thing.

I couldn't get the audio feed to work earlier for the 1:15 games. It seems to be working now. Hopefully they'll get video fixed quickly.

RBA
03-31-2011, 03:39 PM
AT BAT app working great on my HTC EVO.

HeatherC1212
03-31-2011, 05:20 PM
I can get the video and game features to work but the radio stream only worked for about twenty minutes before it totally died on my Droid 2. Hopefully it works again soon. It worked during spring training for me. :(

Homer Bailey
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
I can get the video and game features to work but the radio stream only worked for about twenty minutes before it totally died on my Droid 2. Hopefully it works again soon. It worked during spring training for me. :(

What did you have to do to get the video stream working? I have an Incredible, but I'd imagine our apps are the same.

To get to audio, I click the little drop down menu from the scoreboard that gives me the option for audio or gameday.... was there just an extra video option for you? I had no video option.

Always Red
03-31-2011, 07:16 PM
The video is terrible on my Verizon Droid X as well.

And it's not live- it's just the video replays.

Blitz Dorsey
03-31-2011, 08:15 PM
'Bout all of 'em will be this year, as we have so many national games, and FSO has to fill its 145-game quota.

That is some great news right there. I've said all along that FSN would be smart to televise more day games anyway. A lot more people work from home these days. I personally go into the office 2x per week and work from home 3x per week.

Homer Bailey
04-01-2011, 01:26 PM
I've got a better cell connection today in my office and I'm able to get the live video stream going. Pretty awesome. The picture quality is not excellent but the stream seems to be working well.

Unassisted
04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I can get the video and game features to work but the radio stream only worked for about twenty minutes before it totally died on my Droid 2. Hopefully it works again soon. It worked during spring training for me. :(FWIW, Opening Day is always terrible for streaming audio and video. EVERYBODY who bought it wants to use it and the streams just bog down. It gets better after OD. :thumbup:

HeatherC1212
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
FWIW, Opening Day is always terrible for streaming audio and video. EVERYBODY who bought it wants to use it and the streams just bog down. It gets better after OD. :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments! I thought it was just me and then the At Bat 11 app had an update today which made me even more curious about what happened. Hopefully it works when I try it again (probably not until Sunday since I'll be at the game tomorrow night). Glad to know I wasn't the only one who had issues. :)

And for the record, I was referring to the videos from the game that worked fine, not the video feed which I will never be able to access when I'm here in Cincy due to blackout rules.

Homer Bailey
04-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Tonights game is the free game available via the at bat app if you don't have mlb.tv and you aren't blacked out (either regionally or drunkenly).

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk

Unassisted
04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Tonights game is the free game available via the at bat app if you don't have mlb.tv and you aren't blacked out (either regionally or drunkenly).Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out. :thumbup:

On another note, it will be interesting to see how the video performs on my phone, since I have yet to get the At-Bat 2011 audio to play for more than 5 minutes at a time on my Samsung Intercept. I suspect that has more to do with an underpowered phone than my wifi connection or the quality of the stream. I was really spoiled by how well the At-Bat app worked on my iPod Touch. :(

RBA
04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I am having problems with popping sounds on my HTC EVO Sprint phone while streaming in 3G. I searched online and hopefully have a fix....

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-evo-4g/66322-fix-mlb-bat-2011-evo-3g-4g-audio-streaming.html

I had to call Sprint to get the MSL.

Hopefully it will work good today.