PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Baker will face some tough decisions in 2011

Ron Madden
02-10-2011, 03:32 AM
Thought I'd share this piece from John Erardi.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110209/SPT04/302090092/Baker-faces-tough-decisions

mth123
02-10-2011, 06:41 AM
"Its never as simple as just the K's"

That phrase should be stickied and automatically pop-up every time anyone posts. Cutting the K's is great, but if it comes at the expense of cutting some walks and extra base hits, its not worth it.

Redsfan320
02-10-2011, 08:08 AM
The link's no good dude. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

cumberlandreds
02-10-2011, 09:34 AM
The link's no good dude. Don't have a clue what the problem is.

You have to click on skip this ad to get to the article.

lollipopcurve
02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.

BRM
02-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Erardi's done better. Claiming that a platoon of Lewis and Gomes is a downgrade because Gomes hits lefties better than Lewis hits righties is plain dumb.

That part threw me a little as well. I read it a couple of times thinking maybe I was missing something.

Homer Bailey
02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Wow. I've grown to expect a lot better from Eradi. That didn't even sound like him.

edabbs44
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
I thought the defense thing about Lewis was pretty interesting.

Puffy
02-10-2011, 11:38 AM

His point is that Gomes hits lefties at a higher clip than Lewis hits righties. So Gomes, who he already stated is popular and that Baker hates platoons, is going to have far better numbers than Lewis, which would then justify Gomes playing all the time (logic being Baker can say Gomes is hitting .320, Lewis is hitting .270, ergo Gomes needs more at bats).

In short, Gomes demolishing lefties in strict platoon while dwarfing Lewis' numbers versus righties could lead Baker back to Gomes full time, especially because as Erardi mentions there are twice as many at bats available for the left-handed portion of strict platoon.

Homer Bailey
02-10-2011, 11:53 AM
His point is that Gomes hits lefties at a higher clip than Lewis hits righties. So Gomes, who he already stated is popular and that Baker hates platoons, is going to have far better numbers than Lewis, which would then justify Gomes playing all the time (logic being Baker can say Gomes is hitting .320, Lewis is hitting .270, ergo Gomes needs more at bats).

In short, Gomes demolishing lefties in strict platoon while dwarfing Lewis' numbers versus righties could lead Baker back to Gomes full time, especially because as Erardi mentions there are twice as many at bats available for the left-handed portion of strict platoon.

I sincerely hope that Baker doesn't think that way. But I do see your point.

cumberlandreds
02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I thought the defense thing about Lewis was pretty interesting.

Yea me too. Does anyone know what he is saying is true about Lewis? If it is then LF will be an adventure defensively again this season.

Homer Bailey
02-10-2011, 11:59 AM
As excited as I was having a highish OBP guy to leadoff and play left, I keep reverting back to the fact that Fred Lewis was non-tendered.

I don't think he's going to end up being an RZ fan favorite.

RedsManRick
02-10-2011, 12:04 PM
I find it frustrating that he lumped in Lewis with Gomes defensively. There's being a mediocre defender. There's being a poor defender. And there's having no business out there at all.

Lewis is mediocre. Gomes is one of the worst defensive LF in baseball. It's not an insignificant difference.

OnBaseMachine
02-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Yea me too. Does anyone know what he is saying is true about Lewis? If it is then LF will be an adventure defensively again this season.

I remember watching Lewis play LF some on TV when he was with the Giants. He is fast, but he takes some very interesting routes at times too. He's way better defensively than Gomes but he'll never be confused for a Gold Glover.

BRM
02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
I remember watching Lewis play LF some on TV when he was with the Giants. He is fast, but he takes some very interesting routes at times too. He's way better defensively than Gomes but he'll never be confused for a Gold Glover.

So he's an upgrade over Gomes defensively. And he hits RHP better than Gomes. Not sure why this would be all that difficult, at least to start the year anyway. Give Gomes some starts against RHP on occasion so he's not sitting for extended periods waiting for a LH starter.

REDREAD
02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
It's kind of funny.

My thought is that Baker will have very few tough decisions this year.

Lewis and Gomes fight it out for LF, with Heisey as a darkhorse.

Same at SS, with Renturia and Janish.. Janish is NOT a young player. He turns 29 shortly after the 2011 season ends. To put that in perspective, he's only 1 year younger than Phillips..This is not a case of a highly touted prospect that requires patience. He's either better than Renturia or he's not. I can trust Dusty on this.

Really, the only tough decision Dusty will have is the last slot in the rotation, and maybe the last slot or two in the bullpen.

There's more certianty in this year's roster than there's been for over 10 years.

Spitball
02-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Platoons are pretty common. If you just compare the batters faced by Mike Leake and Travis Wood you see that obviously teams load up line-ups with right handed bats against left handed pitchers.

Leake vs RHB = 325 AB
Wood vs RHB = 346 AB

Leake vs LHB = 279 AB
Wood vs LHB = 73 AB

This large split is typical between right handed and left handed starters. It is probably a tad larger with more established lefty starters like Sabathia and Lee. To me, this shows a common strategy to largely platoon the make-up of line-ups depending on the handedness of the starting pitcher.

A platoon can make sense, but I have long wondered about a few problems. First, how does it affect the right handed half of a platoon (particularly a streaky power hitter) to sit for 2/3 of the starts? Second, why do managers typically go with lefty vs righty strategy when the numbers with certain players (see Heisey and Bailey) indicate there is no advantage.

Heisey batter slightly more often against left handed pitchers despite OPSing much better (.546 to .979) versus right handers. Bailey faced a larger percentage of left handed batters than the typical left starter yet righty batters OPSed .757 and lefties .677.

cumberlandreds
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Thanks. :thumbup: He sounds like he may be a small upgrade anyway.