PDA

View Full Version : Has Redszone ever considered a tech/geek forum?

The Operator
02-11-2011, 08:19 AM
I mean no offense by the term "geek" by the way, because I absolutely am a major geek.

But anyway, I've thought for a while now that it would be cool if Redszone had a forum specifically for people to talk about science, technology, engineering, anything related to that really.

I'm a soon-to-be engineer and I know there are many other engineers on the board, as well as chemists, physicists, computer gurus, and also just tech buffs through experience.

I know the Non-Sports forum does provide a platform for these types of discussion, but most if not all of the discussion in that forum are related to music, movies or TV.

I know more than once I've been in the middle of trying to figure out how to accomplish a circuit design, or have just been thinking theoretically about certain things, and would love to pose questions on here to get feedback from other 'zoners. I've just been afraid a topic like that would quickly be buried in the Non-Sports forum.

Is this idea at all realistic?

Redsfan320
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I don't see it as a big enough draw for its own forum, myself. If its a discussion people care about enough to post in, it will stay near the top in the Non-sports forum.

Now a sabermetrics forum (which is what I thought you meant when I saw the thread title) for all the stat-heads and such- that would be epic.

Cuban_Missile
02-11-2011, 03:32 PM
I am with The Operator on this one of course I am a younger guy in college as well. Even if it is just a sub-forum of the Non-Sports forum. I feel like it could help a lot of non-tech savvy people have questions answered by anyone with the know how. And for the rest of us techies we could discuss computers, upgrades, gaming systems, etc. I think it would be a great idea and I know other sports forums have something similar most of the time.

Joseph
02-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I like the idea as well. I think it would be fun and expand conversation in the community. It's a baseball first community but there's always room for jello....err I mean other stuff.

Boss-Hog
02-11-2011, 05:41 PM
It's never been formally brought up, but as a general rule, we don't like to create new forums/subforums unless we're nearly certain they'll attract enough attention to warrant creating them, setting permissions and so forth. This is because at one time, we created a couple of new forums based on user request and they were inactive enough that we decided to undo that decision and roll them back into the Non-Baseball Chatter forum. I'm open for considering it, though.

paintmered
02-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't think the non-baseball forums has enough threads for to justify another dedicated forum or sub-forum.

That being said, this geek is all for more activity on these kinds of topics. :)

Ron Madden
02-17-2011, 05:26 AM
I believe the Non-Sports Chatter forum has always been very informative concerning questions and answers of any sort.

SunDeck
02-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Isn't Redszone a geek forum already? :)

RFS62
02-17-2011, 12:04 PM

Just what I was thinking.

:beerme:

The Operator
02-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Boss.

Paint, I think this is our cue to really ramp up the geek talk around here. :cool:

Cuban_Missile
02-18-2011, 01:51 AM
No faith in me operator? :confused:

The Operator
02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Of course. :)

I just mentioned Paint because I know he's an engineer in the exact same field that I am.

paintmered
02-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Of course. :)

I just mentioned Paint because I know he's an engineer in the exact same field that I am.

By degree, yes. I'm not a design engineer though. I'm a systems analyst by trade.

RBA
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM

:D :thumbup:

The Operator
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
By degree, yes. I'm not a design engineer though. I'm a systems analyst by trade.Well, yes. I should have been more specific.

Speaking of that, have you taken any more classes since GPS last summer?

paintmered
02-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Well, yes. I should have been more specific.

Speaking of that, have you taken any more classes since GPS last summer?

Yeah, I've been taking one course at a time. I should have my Masters finished up later this year.

You're getting pretty close to being done with your undergrad, aren't you?

The Operator
02-18-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I've been taking one course at a time. I should have my Masters finished up later this year.

You're getting pretty close to being done with your undergrad, aren't you?
Yep, I'm done this quarter. 'bout time since I was an '05 high school grad.

Now I've got grad school to look forward to. I don't wanna get my butt kicked by the real world quite yet. :D

Brutus
02-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I'm a geek. Just not a smart one and would not be able to advance these types of discussions beyond a 5th grade level of understanding :)

I am a kid that scored in the 92 percentile on the ASVAB, but the 10 percentile in mechanics, electrical, etc. And sadly, that included most girls.

Oh, and taking that test? Worst thing I could have done. Didn't even have an interest in the military, just thought the results might come in handy. It didn't help much and couldn't get rid of recruiters for months after.

WVRed
02-19-2011, 01:13 AM
http://www.haveuheard.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/The-Big-Bang-Theory-1024x682.jpg

That's all I've got.

Screwball
02-20-2011, 12:43 AM
I've always been a closet nerd, but going back to school this past year has caused me to kinda let my inner geek out, so to speak. I've been watching a bunch of great stuff on Nat Geo and History channels, and recently came across Sixty Symbols on YouTube.

(Side note: youtube is an amazing source of incredibly helpful and informational videos. I do a large portion of my studying via youtube where I learn the material faster, understand it much more clearly, and retain it longer than I would otherwise. And so far it's cost me a total of $0.00)

For anybody unfamiliar with them, Sixty Symbols takes intriguing and/or challenging physics concepts and basically has some of Nottingham's more interesting professors explain or demonstrate them. Below is a pretty good one in which the Drinking Bird is explained...

YouTube - Drinking Bird - Sixty Symbols (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUvHzFm29cg&feature=relmfu)