PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight

HalMorrisRules
02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
On yesterday's afternoon version of Baseball Tonight, they were discussing the Brewers and their new pitching staff. After they talked about them, Buster Olney and Tim Kurkjian were asked if they think the Brewers will win the central. They both said that while any one of four teams could win the central, they both said the Reds were the clear favorite. Olney went on to say that the Reds already had the best offense in the league last year and with young players like Bruce and Stubbs having the potential to just get better and better there was no reason to suspect that they would not be a terrific offense once again. Paired with a young dynamic starting staff (Olney thinks Volquez could become a dominant ace) they would be the favorites to repeat.

I felt the Reds would be an easy target for analysts to choose as a one year wonder and was pleasantly surprised when they both were in agreement about the Reds' chances.

bounty37h
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
It is good to see us get respect and publicity. I am excited to see how these guys respond to it.

Oxblood
02-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Buster tells it like it is. Go Reds!

OGB
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
I'm not nearly as optimistic about Volquez as most of the prognosticators on this website. Hopefully Olney and the majority of the people here are right about him. If he pitches like an All Star, I have a hard time seeing this team win fewer than 95 games.

HalMorrisRules
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
It is good to see us get respect and publicity. I am excited to see how these guys respond to it.

The bolded part of your statement is the absolute key. If they dont come out and play with fire and intensity, but instead play like they are entitled, they could be in for a huge crash. I hope they do not have prima donna syndrome.

JeremiahHorsley
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
I was watching this episode and you have no idea how excited I'm getting about the Reds this year. Although I don't think we brought in the FA's we should, our young core of guys are only going to get a lot better, I'm expecting potentially All-Star years for Jay Bruce, Stubbs, and Volquez. Yes, I said Volquez. I have a feeling he is going to be better than his flashes of ace potential last year.

bounty37h
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
The bolded part of your statement is the absolute key. If they dont come out and play with fire and intensity, but instead play like they are entitled, they could be in for a huge crash. I hope they do not have prima donna syndrome.

I agree, sometimes when a team has been down for so long, when it smells success they think they have it figured out and let down. They need to let last year just be a start and challenge themselves to be that much better each and every day.

JeremiahHorsley
02-11-2011, 03:48 PM
I agree, sometimes when a team has been down for so long, when it smells success they think they have it figured out and let down. They need to let last year just be a start and challenge themselves to be that much better each and every day.

I can't agree more, they almost have to look back at last year and say, we had one good season, we have the talent to repeat last year and go farther. But, we can't get ahead of ourselves and just think we don't have to give it all we got every night.

Cuban_Missile
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM

Honestly with the group of guys we have and the way they have always played with a chip on their shoulder, that mentality usually just doesn't fall because of of good season. These guys want to go farther than losing right away in the playoffs. If anything they are going to come out this year with more to prove knowing we can not only get to the playoffs but get to the World Series.

JeremiahHorsley
02-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Hey guys I'm an aspiring sports writer, I don't know if I'm actually allowed to post a link to my personal blog. But if you guys would check it out and tell me what you think, I would greatly appreciate it. It's not strictly about the Reds, but once the season comes around that will be the primary subject.

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

02-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey guys I'm an aspiring sports writer, I don't know if I'm actually allowed to post a link to my personal blog. But if you guys would check it out and tell me what you think, I would greatly appreciate it. It's not strictly about the Reds, but once the season comes around that will be the primary subject.

http://jeremiahssportsblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks. Nice looking blog. Good stuff.

The general rule on this site is that it's frowned upon to promote your site in a post (no harm this first time), but you are definitely allowed to put a link to it in your signature.

Best of luck :)

Vottomatic
02-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't want to get too high on the Reds just yet. It was one season.

But I am amazed at the turnaround this organization has made.

When was the last time you saw the Reds, or alot of other clubs, have a battle to make the starting pitching rotation between 6 quality pitchers????? Geez. Blows me away. One of these guys is either going to be throwing out of the bullpen or in Louisville, when they could easily start for every club in MLB.

We have alot of youth in the field that has already done enough to make you expect better things from them.

We have depth in our farm system to replace those aging pieces in the majors.

Just simply amazing what this organization has accomplished. They may soon be the model for how things should be done for small market clubs.

JeremiahHorsley
02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks. Nice looking blog. Good stuff.

The general rule on this site is that it's frowned upon to promote your site in a post (no harm this first time), but you are definitely allowed to put a link to it in your signature.

Best of luck :)

Thanks! I had to figure out how to put in a signature, just found where I had to go lol. GO REDS!

RadfordVA
02-12-2011, 02:41 AM
i seen same episode and was also pleasantly surprised at their confidence in the reds. Today it went opposite way when MLB network picked their Top 9 teams to start season and Reds were not to be found. Seriously had Brewers Cardinals and White Sox on their ahead of them. Was shocked.

kfm
02-12-2011, 11:31 AM
i seen same episode and was also pleasantly surprised at their confidence in the reds. Today it went opposite way when MLB network picked their Top 9 teams to start season and Reds were not to be found. Seriously had Brewers Cardinals and White Sox on their ahead of them. Was shocked.

I watched that as well. It did not surprise me at all. The guys on that show minus the former Reds were never on the reds bandwagon last year. Harold Reynolds in particular along with Mitch Williams. I remember one episode late in the year when Reynolds mentioned the fact that the Cardinals gave the division away should be up by five to ten games in the standings.

gedred69
02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
I don't want to get too high on the Reds just yet. It was one season.

But I am amazed at the turnaround this organization has made.

When was the last time you saw the Reds, or alot of other clubs, have a battle to make the starting pitching rotation between 6 quality pitchers????? Geez. Blows me away. One of these guys is either going to be throwing out of the bullpen or in Louisville, when they could easily start for every club in MLB.

We have alot of youth in the field that has already done enough to make you expect better things from them.

We have depth in our farm system to replace those aging pieces in the majors.

Just simply amazing what this organization has accomplished. They may soon be the model for how things should be done for small market clubs.

The other team that I kinda' feel like the Reds looked for a plan, the Twins. How many times in the last few years have they seen the post-season? They developed a lot of star players, (Hunter, Santana, etc.) only to let them walk when they got expensive, because they already had replacements in the pipeline. They've made three exceptions, Morneau, Mauer, and Nathan. (Who could argue with holding onto those three).

Krawhitham
02-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Larkin is joining Baseball Tonight starting early March

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/tv/2011/02/18/larkin-perez-teammates-again/