PDA

View Full Version : e here's an odd list

GADawg
02-12-2011, 12:42 AM
who were some of your favorite players(no Bench, no Larkin, etc..)that for whatever reason you locked into and became a fan....

mine...

Gary Redus(thought he would win at LEAST 1 triple crown)
Frank Pastore(had his moments)
Doug Flynn(can't even remember why)
Chris Stynes(kicked butt for me on playstation)
Jacob Cruz(dude could hit even if I could outrun him)
Jeff Reed(what a good guy!)
John Riedling(why did I think he was soooo good?)
Mo Sanford(see above)
Roberto Petagine(kidding! just seeing if you were paying attention)
and these days I'm liking me some Jonny Gomes

Johnny Footstool
02-12-2011, 01:11 AM
Eddie Milner - he seemed like the Reds best position player in the dark days of the early '80s.

Rolando Roomes - gotta root for a name like that.

Johnny Ruffin - the guy weighed about 150 pounds, and 5 of that was chaw.

WVRedsFan
02-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Warning...old fart here with players that most of you won't remember.

Ted Abernathy - must have been the submarine delivery

Gordy Coleman - hunk of a first baseman with power. The year he hit .300 was the best

Bob Purkey - knuckleballer who won a lot of games for the Reds. Finally met him after I
went into the insurance business like he did. Nice guy and under-rated

Deron Johnson - just because

Vada Pinson - underrated was his middle name

Wally Post - Lots of power in Crosley

Jerry Lynch - pinch hitter extrodinare

Don Blassingame - 1962 and he hit .281. I thought he was king. But I was 13.

And many more.

Ghosts of 1990
02-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Alex Ochoa
Ruben Sierra (before and during Reds stint)
Roberto Kelly
Dernell Stenson
Johnny Ruffin
Hector Carasco
John Roper
Scott Sullivan
Bip Roberts

TheNext44
02-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Off the top of my head, in no order...

Wayne Krenchicki
Dann Bilardello
Fred Norman
Joe Price
Ben Hayes
Pedro Borbon
Skeeter Barnes
Lenny Harris
Alan Knicely
Bob Owchinko
John Franco
Max Venable
Herm Winningham
Kal Daniels
Sal Butera
Milt Hill
Lloyd McClendon
Rolondo Roomes

OnBaseMachine
02-12-2011, 04:37 AM
Eddie Taubensee...one of the nicest people I have ever met and was a good hitter too. I once saw him sign probably 250 autographs after a game at Riverfront. He didn't stop signing until everyone got an autograph.

Alex Ochoa. Great arm and had a solid couple years with the Reds.

Scott Sullivan

Scott Williamson

Dernell Stenson...only played for the Reds for a short time before his tragic death but there was something about him I really liked.

Joe Oliver

Pokey Reese

Dmitri Young

Ron Madden
02-12-2011, 05:19 AM
Jim Maloney
Sammy Ellis
Deron Johnson
Leo Cardenas
Joey Jay
Tommy Harper
Johnny Edwards
Lee May
Gary Nolan
Hal McRae
Bernie Carbo
Freddy Norman
Wayne Simpson
Ted Abernathy
Wayne Granger
Scott Sullivan
Adam Dunn

mth123
02-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Mack Jones
Fred Whitfield
Angel Bravo
Ted Savage
Fred Norman
Pedro Borbon
Joe Hague
Andy Kosco
Joel Youngblood
Manny Sarmiento
Wayne Krenchicki
Tom Foley
Jeff Branson
Mike Vail
John Riedling
Jon Coutlangus
Carlos Fisher
Chris Dickerson

GADawg
02-12-2011, 08:00 AM
Johnny Ruffin - the guy weighed about 150 pounds, and 5 of that was chaw.

just like your avatar!

02-12-2011, 08:58 AM
I really thought Duane Walker was gonna be a stud. I can't remember why, but I thought he was gonna be a slugger.

I also thought Brian Dorsett would hit well enough to play first base if given the chance.

Guess I've come a long way..

NJReds
02-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Gary Redus
Joe Oliver
Nick Esasky
Ted Power
Paul O'Neill (when he was a Red ... before he became an all-star w/the Yanks)

Eric_the_Red
02-12-2011, 09:16 AM
My short list growing up was:
Eric Davis
Will Clark
Nomar Garciaparra
Sean Casey

Now, Jay Bruce is entering that territory.

bucksfan2
02-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Meat Hook
Jose Guillen
Chris Stynes
Felipe Lopez
Paul Konerko
Bip Roberts
Mark Lewis
Jeff Reed - Got his autograph a long time ago one night after a Reds game. The Reds had lost the game but Reed sent the go head HR to the warning track for the 27th out. In the garage my friends dad said something to Reed about it and Reed said "I thought I got it".

MrCinatit
02-12-2011, 10:01 AM
Johnny Franco. He was supposed to be way too short to make it as a pitcher. I was very disappointed when he was traded.

Caseyfan21
02-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Eddie Taubensee...one of the nicest people I have ever met and was a good hitter too. I once saw him sign probably 250 autographs after a game at Riverfront. He didn't stop signing until everyone got an autograph.

He did that EVERY game I ever stayed after for autographs. Unreal how many he signed and always had a great attitude doing it. He will have to get arthritis in his writing hand when he's 60-70.

SunDeck
02-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Bill Plummer
Doug Flynn
Joel Youngblood

Sea Ray
02-12-2011, 12:54 PM
Eddie Milner - he seemed like the Reds best position player in the dark days of the early '80s.

Yeah, you and Pete Rose. Pete's penchant for playing Eddie Milner over the much more talented Eric Davis was my greatest gripe with him as a manager. Simply put: it drove me nuts!

Griffey012
02-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Willie Greene
Jacob Brumfield
Bip Roberts

Bip was the man back in the day wish he never left the Reds. I thought the other two were going to turn into big time major leaguers and of course hoarded their rookie cards as a little kid.

Spitball
02-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Most of mine have been mentioned, but here are some more.

Alex Johnson-Everyone disliked the guy but not me. One Sunday a friend and I had taken a bus into Crosley Field to see a game. We were walking to catch it back after the game when a big Cadillac with Michigan plates went by us. It looked like Alex Johnson and he was from Michigan so I yelled, "Hey, Alex! How about an autograph?" We were laughing about it until the car pulled over and backed up. His hand came out, and we handed over our scorecards (remember those white tag ones that were folded in the middle?). He handed them back and drove off. I have had many players give me autographs through the years, but he was the only one to go out of his way to sign.

Also, he had one great reply to an interviewer who asked him, "Alex, all last season you only hit two homeruns. Now, it is only May and you already have five. What's the difference?" Johnson replied, "Three." End of interview.

Mel Queen-I was at Crosley Field the day he made his first (and unexpected) start as a pitcher. He had been an outfielder who had made some relief appearances. It was the second game of a double header. Before the game, Art Shamsky ran out to the outfield where the outfielders were warming up. He says something to Queen and the two start laughing. I'm wondering what is so funny when Queen runs off the field. Moments later he is along the sidelines warming up in the bullpen. He ended up shutting out the Giants that day.

Chico Ruiz-He was the first to make the "Bench me or trade me," remark. He was a funny guy.

Bob Lee-I swear I once saw him sneak a beer into the Reds' bullpen, sit at the end of the line of relievers out of Dave Bristol's view, and drink it.

Captain Hook
02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
I always thought Gabe White was going to be great.

Rojo
02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Gary Redus(thought he would win at LEAST 1

Yeah, Redus was a let down but -- I just checked -- he played until he was 37 and a decent career as a role-player. And he's a cautionary tale about looking at a player's strengths rather than his weaknesses. Redus struggled to hit .250 but he had decent power, was a fast and smart baserunner, and ended up with a career .342 OB and OPS+ of 107.

Because he was a meh leftfielder, he probably ended up with a career in line with his talent. But I bring this up because Stubbs might end up as a similar player, albeit with a much stronger glove.

marcshoe
02-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Gary Nolan
Pat Darcy
Tom Hall
Fred Norman
Wayne Krenchiki
Duane Walker
Tony Fernandez
Kevin Mitchell

Far East
02-12-2011, 10:05 PM
Johnny Temple

It looked as if when he was taking a pitch hoping for ball 4 that if the pitch was high in the zone he would stride just enough to make the pitch appear a little higher to the ump.

If the pitch was low in the zone, he litterally would bring his stride foot back towards his rear foot trying to stand just enough taller to make the pitch appear to the ump that it was below the knees.

It might have worked -- 9 seasons with the Reds, mostly as leadof batter: 471 walks, only 225 Ks, OBP .372.

max venable
02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
mine? Hmmm. Let's see... Max Venable maybe?

marcshoe
02-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Oh, I didn't include him earlier because I assumed we weren't including superstars, but he has to be here...Champ Summers.

RedsManRick
02-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Chris Reitsma
Matt Belisle
Hal Morris
Chris Stynes

And the 1 guy I irrationally hated: Scott Scudder.

westofyou
02-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Dick McAuliffe
Bill Freehan
Ron LeFlore
Fred Norman
Ray Knight
Darrell Evans
Pedro Borbon
John Hiller

George Anderson
02-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Carlton Fisk
Frank Pastore
Mike LaCoss
Paul Householder
Gary Redus
Duane Walker
Tom Lawless
Brad Lesley
German Barranca
Rafael Santo Domingo
Champ Summers
Arthuro De Freites
Gary Thurman
Tommy Hunter
Drew Storen
Corey Wade
Tucker Barnhart
JP Paxson
Kyle Gibson
Jarrod Parker
AJ Zapp
Jake Fox

The Voice of IH
02-13-2011, 01:25 AM
Paul Wilson
Dmitri Young
Cliff Lee

TheNext44
02-13-2011, 01:35 AM
Dick McAuliffe
Bill Freehan
Ron LeFlore
Fred Norman
Ray Knight
Darrell Evans
Pedro Borbon
John Hiller

Wow, some these guys are actually still alive ;)

OnBaseMachine
02-13-2011, 01:20 PM
I was just talking about how Eddie Taubensee was one of the nicest people I've ever met and then I read this story on Jamie Ramsey's blog...

Pat will remain hospitalized here in Arizona for the time being. Former Red Eddie Taubensee has been visiting with him since Pat was admitted and postponed his trip home to remain with Pat until his sister arrives.

http://ramsey.mlblogs.com/archives/2011/02/jamies-final-fantasy-camp-journal.html

wheels
02-13-2011, 07:54 PM
For me, there is only one..... The immortal Tom Lawless.:D

RichRed
02-14-2011, 02:41 PM
I get a huge kick out of Corky Miller. He looks like the guy who just fixed the plumbing under your kitchen sink and all he wants in return is a six-pack. A solid dude.

OnBaseMachine
02-14-2011, 03:13 PM
I get a huge kick out of Corky Miller. He looks like the guy who just fixed the plumbing under your kitchen sink and all he wants in return is a six-pack. A solid dude.

Yes! I forgot about Corky. I'm a big fan of the Corkster.

camisadelgolf
02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I can't believe we made it this far without anyone mentioning Freel.

Johnny Footstool
02-14-2011, 05:13 PM
Yeah, you and Pete Rose. Pete's penchant for playing Eddie Milner over the much more talented Eric Davis was my greatest gripe with him as a manager. Simply put: it drove me nuts!

I was thinking '82 and '83, pre-Davis.

In '84 and '85, yeah, Pete messed up.

remdog
02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Warning...old fart here with players that most of you won't remember.

Warning, warning....even older fart here with some of the same players that WV mentioned:

Eddie Kasko: these days, who would think that you could go to the World Series with a guy with those OPS, Range Numbers, etc at SS. But, when you're 14 you believe it's possible. Hey! It happened! Who knew!

Jim Brosnan: Decent pitcher but possibly better known for his writing. They were fasinating for me and, even today, they are a good read. If any 'young farts' can get their hands on a copy of his books, The Long Season , when he was traded to the Reds from the Cardinals at mid-season of '59 or The Pennant Race which is his diary of the Reds '61 pennant-winning season, they are a great read and give you personal insight into how baseball opperated at that time. Brosnan was also born in Cincinnati so that adds a bit to the stories.

George Crowe: Interesting career. 'Big George' played a long time in the bigs but never had a year better than '57 when he hit 31 of his lifetime 81 HR's filling in for the injured 'Big Klu'. Also played some pro basketball.

Don Blasingame: WV mentioned him. Just one of those fiesty kind of guys that was Pete Rose before there was a Pete Rose. I think he's still #2 in hiting into the fewest double plays/ab.

Wally Post: Also mentioned above. Gus Bell was the Center Fielder and an extreamly good player but Wally was the guy that put on the hard hat, camped out in LF and caught anything he could get to. Next at bat, he might just 'crush one'. Very compelling and identifiable for a kid who's dad went to work every day in a steel mill and never complained about doing his job or getting recognition.

Bill Plummer & Corky Miller: When you're the backup to Johnny Bench you don't get a lot of playing time. Yet Plummer filled in whenever he was needed, understood his role and never complained. He couldn't hit a lick but he was solid defensively and the Reds didn't really need offense from him in those days. Corky strikes me as this era's reincarnation of Bill Plummer. We don't have a Johnny Bench but, over several seasons, Abe has proven to be a valuable, though quiet, asset to the Reds. To me, he is a great example of a professional ballplayer that loves the game even if he isn't getting rich. Love that guy and, in a pinch, I'm happy the Reds have him behind the plate.

Rem

_Sir_Charles_
02-15-2011, 10:40 AM
Gary Redus, Jay Tibbs, Joe Price. I got overly optimistic after their early success (big surprise, me being over optimistic...imagine that). I really thought these 3 would get it together and become stars. I still can't believe Redus didn't.

And the 1 guy I irrationally hated: Scott Scudder.

And since Rick did it...the guy I irrationally hated....Tom Hume. I threw stuff at my tv whenever he came into a game. Couldn't stand the guy. Maybe it was the glasses. :O)

RichRed
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Jim Brosnan: Decent pitcher but possibly better known for his writing. They were fasinating for me and, even today, they are a good read. If any 'young farts' can get their hands on a copy of his books, The Long Season , when he was traded to the Reds from the Cardinals at mid-season of '59 or The Pennant Race which is his diary of the Reds '61 pennant-winning season, they are a great read and give you personal insight into how baseball opperated at that time. Brosnan was also born in Cincinnati so that adds a bit to the stories.

I became a huge Brosnan fan after reading those books, though I wasn't born until 8 years after that '61 season. I've read Pennant Race at least ten times.

cumberlandreds
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Here's a few of mine Reds and non-Reds:

Don Gullett
Doug Flynn
Larry Biittner
Tom Hall
Clay Carroll
Paul O'Neill
Chris Sabo
Ryan Freel
Glen Braggs
Buddy Bell

Non-Reds

Al Oliver
Mike Easler
Richie Hebner
Manny Sanguillen
Mark Belanger
Ted Simmons
Dale Murphy
Chris Chambliss
Dante Bichette

Rojo
02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
Here's a few of mine Reds and non-Reds:
Al Oliver, Mike Easler, Chris Chambliss

They're all the same player.

Raisor
02-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Alvin Davis

cumberlandreds
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
They're all the same player.

I guess that's why I liked all three. :)

NJReds
02-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Forgot to mention Brad "the Animal" Leslie.