PDA

View Full Version : Mitch Williams on MLB TV

Phhhl
02-12-2011, 03:55 AM
Are you as tired as me of hearing Mitch Williams explain the mechanics of fielding, hitting and pitching on mlb.tv? Mitch comes across as an expert on every item that the network presents by virtue of shouting everyone else down on the panel. He kind of turns all of his points upon himself for being ultimately unsuccessful as a major league pitcher, but I don't find any value in his self-efacing modesty. Everything he ever says just points to the fact that he was a failure.

The Network needs to move past "Wild Thing" as their color commenator. The modern baseball fan is sophisticated. Recently, The MLB Network did a piece on PECOTA, and star cowboy Mitch Williams declared that he didn't give a snort of Wild Turkey for what Pecota even meant. He was purely vested in his emotions...

MLB TV is the best station on television inspite of rubes like Mitch Williams. Imagine how much better it wil be when they can rid themselves of the riff raff.

The Operator
02-12-2011, 04:09 AM
I couldn't possibly agree more. His homerism over The Phillies during the playoffs last year really annoyed me, too.

To be honest I'm really shocked he ever got the job. Usually, guys that end up with sweet TV gigs are remembered for something other than epic World Series meltdowns, aren't they?

Maybe Jose Mesa will replace him some day. ;)

mth123
02-12-2011, 04:53 AM
On a positive note, at least its not Rob Dibble on there.

Mitch has gotta go.

Ron Madden
02-12-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm no big fan of Williams ether but have no problem with him being a homer for the Phillies. Nobody around here gets down on Larkin or Casey for being homers for the Reds. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. ;)

kpresidente
02-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Can you imagine the guy who interviewed Williams, heard him stumble through all his sentences, and thought, "yeah, this guy would be a great anchor!" That guy should be fired along with Williams.

reds1869
02-12-2011, 09:17 AM
I completely agree. Mitch Williams reminds me of my wife's drunken, obnoxious uncle. He may not know everything but he'll tell you he does!

RANDY IN INDY
02-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Two words for Mitch. "Joe Carter."

westofyou
02-12-2011, 11:41 AM
All I can say is from what I've heard is that Mitch almost knows as much about the game as Jeff Brantley claims to know.

Nasty_Boy
02-12-2011, 01:18 PM
What is it with former closers? Brantley, Dibble, Williams, Eck, etc all seem to be full of bravado and arogance... Maybe its the mentality that made them good relievers, but it sure makes for shotty commentators. I guess pitching 1 inning a game makes you an expert in all areas! As Dibble used to say, "I played and you didn't!"

Back to Williams, he honestly makes me want to turn the channel every time he's on regardless of what they are talking about... But one incident with Williams that comes to mind that shows how worthless he is, was last August (early Sept?) when the Reds played at Colorado and he was the color guy. He kept pumping up Johnny Gomes and what he had done at the plate, then he pulled out a "Gomes' approach reminds me of a RH Joey Votto!" I nearly threw the remote threw the TV 3 or 4 times that game! He has no business being a commentator!

GADawg
02-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Are you as tired as me of hearing Mitch Williams explain the mechanics of fielding, hitting and pitching on mlb.tv? Mitch comes across as an expert on every item that the network presents by virtue of shouting everyone else down on the panel. He kind of turns all of his points upon himself for being ultimately unsuccessful as a major league pitcher, but I don't find any value in his self-efacing modesty. Everything he ever says just points to the fact that he was a failure.

The Network needs to move past "Wild Thing" as their color commenator. The modern baseball fan is sophisticated. Recently, The MLB Network did a piece on PECOTA, and star cowboy Mitch Williams declared that he didn't give a snort of Wild Turkey for what Pecota even meant. He was purely vested in his emotions...

MLB TV is the best station on television inspite of rubes like Mitch Williams. Imagine how much better it wil be when they can rid themselves of the riff raff.

i agree...he seems to be just spouting out off the top of his head with little preparation...i'm sure he knows alot more than I do but it would still be nice if he had a little something to back up his opinions from time to time...and yes Dibble is the same animal. I really liked Dibble for a while but now I just cringe everytime he talks over Memelo

blumj
02-13-2011, 10:44 AM
He's just on way too much, all their other guys seem to do a show now and then, while Mitch is almost always the other guy on with each of them.

Jpup
02-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Ah, he doesn't bother me too much. Dibble is almost intolerable on MLB Network radio. I just overlook what they say, for the most part. Sometimes, they do have something intelligent to say. Harold Reynolds isn't really a genius either. The other day, he was saying the Mark Reynolds is the next Josh Hamilton.

MikeThierry
02-14-2011, 12:04 AM
I guess I'm in the minority on this one but I kind of like Mitch Williams. I like the interplay between him, Amsinger, and Reynolds at times. Their interplay and commentary is at least better than the stuff we get on ESPN.

MrCinatit
02-14-2011, 12:47 AM
They need a lot more Larkin, and lot less Williams.

reds44
02-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Oh you can do a lot worse than Williams. I was watching MLB Network the other day and they had Brian Jordan on there. You want to talk about bad, that guy was just brutal.

bucksfan2
02-14-2011, 10:10 AM
I just picked up Best of XM on my Sirius Radio. For the life of me I don't understand what Jim Bowden brings to the table. The arrogance of that man has no match. I didn't know why Marty disliked him so much but after listening to him for about 10 minutes I can understand now.

RichRed
02-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Dan Plesac, another former-closer-turned-analyst on MLB Network, is no prize either. He talks like he just swallowed a handful of greenies 5 minutes before going on the air. Take it down a notch, Dan.

MikeThierry
02-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Who do you think the best group is on the MLB Network? For me its Amsinger, Reynolds, and Kevin Millar. Millar might grate on some people but if I want a laugh, the interplay between those three is just fun.

Nasty_Boy
02-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Not much of a fan of Reynolds either because he doesn't seem to want to hurt anyone's feelings. He makes below average players out to be All-Stars... That being said, I don't mind when he's on.

I think Larkin does a fine job and Casey isn't bad either... Millar is funny but he's too hyper sometimes. But I'm a HUGE fan of Al Leiter. He seems to bring a ton of information without being over the top. He's composed and articulate... He and Larkin would be my favorites to listen too on a regular basis.

Jpup
02-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Al Leiter is the best MLB Network has, but he's been good on YES for a while now.