PDA

View Full Version : Fransisco?

UPRedsFan
02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Should Fansisco make the team out of spring training to provide a left handed option when Rolen needs rest?

The bench would have to look like this:

Renteria
Cairo
Hannigan
Lewis
Fransisco

That would mean Heisey is left out, or they start with a smaller bullpen in April.

I'd love to see him get a couple starts per week against right handed pitching to keep Rolen fresh all year.

Roush's socks
02-13-2011, 12:16 AM
I think they need to have someone in mind to play quite a few games in 3rd if they want to see Rolen fresh come playoff time. Renteria/Cairo could be the answer I guess, but that is pretty mediocre on both the offense and defense side. If JuanF can get by with the glove he could get the chance, but last year he looked not ready for prime time to me. If they are willing to live with sub-par defense he could be a good option against RH starters.

berryluther
02-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Renteria didnt sign here to be a back up. Mark my word he will be the starter.

davereds24
02-13-2011, 01:59 AM
Too much of a liability in the field, they wouldn't have resigned Cairo if they though Francisco was ready to play 50 games at 3b.

He will be on the team opening day but only until they need a 5th man and long man.

Roush's socks
02-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Too much of a liability in the field, they wouldn't have resigned Cairo if they though Francisco was ready to play 50 games at 3b.

He will be on the team opening day but only until they need a 5th man and long man.

Agree. Francisco needs to find a position soon if he wants to play in the MLB. I don 't think he's a good enough hitter to DH in the AL. As a potential 3B he has a good bat, and in LF he might cut it, but at as a DH teams have better options for guys who can hit but have limited mobility. Francisco still hasn't proven he can lay off the breaking pitches and develop the patience he needs at the plate.

gedred69
02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Agree. Francisco needs to find a position soon if he wants to play in the MLB. I don 't think he's a good enough hitter to DH in the AL. As a potential 3B he has a good bat, and in LF he might cut it, but at as a DH teams have better options for guys who can hit but have limited mobility. Francisco still hasn't proven he can lay off the breaking pitches and develop the patience he needs at the plate.

This doesn't paint a very good picture for his future. I tend to agree, especially about the breaking pitch. I've said it before, reminds me of Wily Mo, but I genuinely hope I'm wrong.

Quatitos
02-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Renteria didnt sign here to be a back up. Mark my word he will be the starter.

That really doesn't have anything to do with this at all, since if Renteria is the starter, Janish will still be taking up a bench spot so the problem with Fransisco is the same. It'd be nice if everything that had to do with Renteria didn't get the obligatory "He'll be a starter, Janish will ride the pine" argument started.

As for the topic on hand, I wouldn't mind Fransisco over Heisey and let Heisey get more regular at bats in Louisville to start the year. That would leave Fransisco's positions he can backup as 3b, LF, and 1b. You would assume if he makes the roster that his primary position would be spelling Rolen 2-3 times a week. He could also get the occasional start in LF and 1b. That would leave Lewis as the only viable backup for both the CF and RF positions, a little less defensive flexibility without Heisey. Obviously you would have to imagine that having Fransisco as the primary 3b backup would improve the position offensively, and maybe to start the season it might be slightly better.

I think that starting the season with Fransisco on the bench would probably be best, then when more flexibility is needed in the bullpen/outfield is needed send him down (or maybe send Cairo down, he might clear waivers early in the year).

Kingspoint
02-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Chris Heisey should be the starting Left Fielder.

PhillipsHead
02-14-2011, 02:13 AM
Chris Heisey should be the starting Left Fielder.

Right...and Ken Griffey Jr. should still be our starting CF...

bounty37h
02-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I do agree we need a backup for Rolen, but as far as Fransisco, well, I am glad we traded EdE and dont really want to go back to that.

wlf WV
02-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Janish will start short.I believe Jocketty and Baker are telling the truth.I think Renteria will back up Rolen and hedge for Janish.Leake to AAA.The bullpen will be the stiffest competition I hope.Francisco and Alonso to AAA,both need work.Heisey last position player.

Roush's socks
02-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Janish will start short.I believe Jocketty and Baker are telling the truth.I think Renteria will back up Rolen and hedge for Janish.Leake to AAA.The bullpen will be the stiffest competition I hope.Francisco and Alonso to AAA,both need work.Heisey last position player.

Barring injury or meltdown, I think this is right. The bottom line is that young players like Francisco and Alonso need regular playing time because they both are not MLB ready from a defensive standpoint and they need to find a position. Francisco either 3B or LF, and Alonso either moving to LF or staying at 1st and looking to be traded. If possible I prefer working with Francisco at 3B. His bat is only mediocre as a LF, but as a 3B he would be more of a force.

bounty37h
02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
I would be happiest if we could trade Yonder and Fransisco for something this season.

wlf WV
02-14-2011, 12:47 PM
I would be happiest if we could trade Yonder and Fransisco for something this season.I'm afraid we might see both these guys in our lineup in a couple years.I don't think we can afford Votto,and Rolen is declining.

bounty37h
02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
I'm afraid we might see both these guys in our lineup in a couple years.I don't think we can afford Votto,and Rolen is declining.

Hopefully we can keep Votto, but if not, have someone else in mind by then and deal with it downthe road. I think we need to start focusing on a 3'rd base now, and would be cool with throwing either or both of these guys towards that for the right deal.

Roush's socks
02-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Hopefully we can keep Votto, but if not, have someone else in mind by then and deal with it downthe road. I think we need to start focusing on a 3'rd base now, and would be cool with throwing either or both of these guys towards that for the right deal.

Agree. Votto has at least 3 years left, and that is too long to let Alonso sit in AAA or on the bench. Rolen looked like a different player last year in the 2nd half, and we can't be sure he will return to the way he was playing in the 1st half. At the very least, they will have to monitor his playing time if there will be any chance to have him effective in the playoffs.

Krawhitham
02-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Francisco is better than Cairo at 3rd , Cairo was beyond horrible last season at 3rd, another year older will not improve that

career .929 Fpct and his better days are long past

Roush's socks
02-15-2011, 03:29 AM
Francisco is better than Cairo at 3rd , Cairo was beyond horrible last season at 3rd, another year older will not improve that

They might use Renteria as backup at 3B if Janish starts at SS. Francisco should get his chance at some point if one of Rolen, Janish, Cairo, or Renteria goes on the DL, which seems kind of inevitable.

davereds24
02-15-2011, 04:02 AM

Cairo was much worse at 3b early in his career.

bounty37h
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Really, I didnt think he was beyond horroible at all. I dont want him to become our starter at 3'rd by any means, but he was more then serviceable during the time he had to play. I dont think Fransisco is better at 3'rd anyway, just think he has more power at the plate and is still considered prospect, but I personally dont think he is better then Cairo.

mlh1981
02-15-2011, 12:48 PM
I kept hearing chatter about his lack of plate discipline, but the times I saw him, it appeared he was battling real tough in the batters box.

Hopefully, Rolen can give us 120 games, and the remaining 42 games are split between Francisco (mostly), Cairo (I think he's in for a bit of a downfall, as last year was uncharacteristic), and Renteria.

Kingspoint
02-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Right...and Ken Griffey Jr. should still be our starting CF...

I guess my point was that I don't see Juan Francisco as a Third Baseman at the Major League level, but as a Left Fielder. I like great defense on the infield. Always have. Always will. I don't like stiffs manning the infield positions. To me, Juan Francisco is a stiff at Third Base.

That said, I of course, don't want Cairo or Renteria to be on the team. I like "range" for my infielders. I like a pitcher to have the confidence that he doesn't have to get a strikeout to record outs and that he knows his best bet is to get the batters to make contact with a pitch, but to not let them get good contact. If balls get through the infield and turn into singles and doubles because there are fielders with poor range, it just puts too much pressure on the starting pitcher, who ultimately gets too tricky with his pitches, and ends up giving up too many extra-base hits, doesn't go deep enough into the game, and puts pressure on the bullpen and the use of bench players too early in the game.

Poor Defense, and Average Defense has multiple negative effects on each game and consequently the season. Championship teams "usually" have great defense, not just good defense.

Kingspoint
02-15-2011, 09:32 PM

Hope you're right.