CarolinaRedleg
02-22-2011, 11:11 AM
Sez Fay:

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/40060855802540032

Arroyo and Cueto to follow:

http://twitter.com/#!/johnfayman/status/40061014393356288

Homer Bailey
02-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Not that it truly matters what order they pitch in (IMO), why are they deciding this now?

Redsfan320
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Not that it truly matters what order they pitch in (IMO), why are they deciding this now?

Several teams or doing so.

What the HECK has Volquez done to deserve the OD nod over Arroyo, or with him not liking day games and what not, Cueto???? How'd that work out in the DS, huh??

Redsfan320
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/02/22/volquez-will-start-opening-day/

What a bunch of bull. Just everything Dusty says in that column. Ugh. I know it doesn't matter in the long run... but this is ridiculous.

Sea Ray
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
In the past Arroyo has said that he doesn't like to start on Opening Day. Therefore Volquez is as good a choice as any I suppose

TRF
02-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Volquez is a bit older than Cueto who has had problems keeping his emotions in check. Arroyo likes to party the night before OD.

I have zero problem with this. Good choice.

Razor Shines
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
In the past Arroyo has said that he doesn't like to start on Opening Day. Therefore Volquez is as good a choice as any I suppose

Yeah. Not a big deal. It's not like it's the first game of the playoffs or anything.

I'm sure someone will come in with the obligatory "He's going to go against the other teams #1s all year now." :D

lollipopcurve
02-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Ditto.

He's the guy with the best chance to be a true #1. It'll help him to know the team believes he can be that.

medford
02-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Not that it matters much, 1 of 162. By announcing it now, and assuming no injuries during ST to Volquez, it allows the Dusty to set his ST pitching charts today to build each starter up to the start of the season. It also diffuses the "who's going to start on opening day" question that each pitcher and Dusty would have seen multiple times a day until the announcement was made.

edabbs44
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Volquez is a bit older than Cueto who has had problems keeping his emotions in check. Arroyo likes to party the night before OD.

Similar feelings. I'm less of a fan of Volquez as some others but I won't lose sleep over this.

Blitz Dorsey
02-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Wow, first the playoffs and now this. Maybe it's just me, but I'm into making guys earn things like Opening Day starts. Bronson should be the OD starter and I can't believe it's even a debate.

PuffyPig
02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Wow, first the playoffs and now this. Maybe it's just me, but I'm into making guys earn things like Opening Day starts. Bronson should be the OD starter and I can't believe it's even a debate.

BUt it certainly isn't important enough to make Bronson do something he'd rather not do......

bucksfan2
02-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Arroyo doesn't want it.
Cueto may not be able to handle it.
Bailey, Wood, and Leake are battling out for 2 spots.
I guess that leaves Volquez.

Orenda
02-22-2011, 11:55 AM
So 2innings of EV followed by Travis Wood then?

I could see how it would make sense to invert the pitching rotation against the competition to give the team the best chance to win. For example put your best/ most consistent pitchers up against the other teams middle and bottom of the rotation starters.

Reds Freak
02-22-2011, 11:58 AM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/02/22/volquez-will-start-opening-day/

What a bunch of bull. Just everything Dusty says in that column. Ugh. I know it doesn't matter in the long run... but this is ridiculous.

I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I think it's wise to break up Volquez and Cueto. Obviously rotation changes occur pretty soon during the season but it sets up as Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, Bailey. So that's hard, soft, hard, soft lefty, hard.

RANDY IN INDY
02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
I don't think it's ridiculous at all. I think it's wise to break up Volquez and Cueto. Obviously rotation changes occur pretty soon during the season but it sets up as Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Wood, Bailey. So that's hard, soft, hard, soft lefty, hard.

On the money! :beerme:

OnBaseMachine
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
I like the decision to start Volquez. I was expecting it would be Arroyo but was hoping Volquez or Cueto would get the nod.

bucksfan2
02-22-2011, 12:07 PM
I hope its a nice day OD. With Volquez on the mound it could be a long game.

_Sir_Charles_
02-22-2011, 12:28 PM

I agree that you should earn things like this. However, with Bronson previously stating he'd prefer not to...that pushes him out of the equation. That combined with Dusty's statements (which I agree with) about flamethrowers versus finesse pitchers...
Volquez (hard)
Arroyo (soft)
Cueto (hard)
Bailey (hard)
Wood/Leake (soft)
This pretty much insures that teams will be having to adjust more than just slightly from starter to starter.

The reason I like Bailey after Cueto is that since we don't really have a true #1 guy, I'd like to set up Volquez a bit more by having a soft tosser throwing before him (and a lefty would emphasize it even more).

OnBaseMachine
02-22-2011, 12:35 PM
From John Fay - Volquez on starting Opening Day

Volquez, who wears No. 36 like Mario Soto, said Soto mentioned starting Opening Day to him last year.

“He looked at the back of jersey and said, ‘hey, you better be a No. 1 starter,” Volquez said.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/02/22/volquez-on-starting-opening-day/

muddie
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Maybe this is Dusty's way of telling Volquez that last years playoff implosian hasn't diminished the confidence he has in him or the degree to which he will be relied on this year to get the team back to the playoffs.

11larkin11
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Volquez becoming a legitimate ace is the biggest key to improving on last season, IMO. Anything to help contribute to making that happen is the right move.

westofyou
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Nothing more than setting up the spring rotation for the top three IMO, plus who gives a rats behind who starts OD, Paul Wilson, Joey Hamilton, Jimmy Haynes, Corey Lidle... they all started OD once upon a time. It's a minor feather in the cap.

A good team has loftier goals than starting OD, in fact this Reds team needs to look past that as a pinnacle moment in their season and see it for what it is, the first step in along journey.

Roy Tucker
02-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe its a way to get him a little more acclimated to pitching in big games so that when the Reds open the playoffs in 2011, Volquez will be more settled down.

And yes, I said "when", not "if". :)

OnBaseMachine
02-22-2011, 12:56 PM
From Hal McCoy - Soto on Volquez

“And he has and I never see anything wrong with him,” Soto added. “He is a hard worker, he hangs around these guys and feels a whole lot better. We all knew what kind of pitcher he was. He is mature now, pitching a lot better and he has forgotten about Texas. He doesn’t mention it. It’s all red now and he told me this week how happy he is. He has the stuff to be No. 1 and that’s saying a lot with this staff.”

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/22/11/Volquez-named-Reds-Opening-Day-starting-/landing_reds.html?blockID=415355&feedID=3724

Boss-Hog
02-22-2011, 01:05 PM
From Hal McCoy - Soto on Volquez

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/02/22/11/Volquez-named-Reds-Opening-Day-starting-/landing_reds.html?blockID=415355&feedID=3724
Also of interest in that article that I hadn't seen elsewhere (dollar figures):

The numbers, though, weren’t right for Volquez. Because he is coming off Tommy John, “The team offered me four years at $17 million. Then they offered four years at $21 million. But I think I can pitch good this year and get a better deal,” said Volquez.

Sea Ray
02-22-2011, 01:10 PM
Also of interest in that article that I hadn't seen elsewhere (dollar figures):

As a Reds fan I hope he does pitch well enough to get a better deal

Captain Hook
02-22-2011, 01:27 PM
The first"lets complain about Dusty's lineup" thread of the year.I really wouldn't mind if the OD lineup was announced next week.I love it.All this means to me is that we're getting closer to real, official baseball games being played.

remdog
02-22-2011, 01:31 PM
This idea makes so much sense that I have to wonder if Dusty hasn't handed off the rotation order decisions to Brian Price.

--best stuff of the starters: Volquez
--best night game pitcher: Arroyo
--best opportunity to make sure the other teams' hitters don't get comfortable: this kind of rotation logic

Over the year, matchups will change vis a vie #1's vs. #1's, etc. but those things can be delt with as you go.

I like this as a plan to start the season, especially until we see who wins the #4 and #5 spots and see who turns out to be the long man out of the bully.

Rem

Tom Servo
02-22-2011, 01:47 PM
That's a bit unexpected but ultimately it's not a huge deal either way. Hopefully Volquez takes the ball and runs with it (wrong sport but whatevs).

traderumor
02-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Thread Executive Summary: It doesn't matter, but it does matter.

Brutus
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Arroyo doesn't want it.
Cueto may not be able to handle it.
Bailey, Wood, and Leake are battling out for 2 spots.
I guess that leaves Volquez.

If Volquez can handle it, then certainly Cueto could.

I get why Arroyo didn't get it, if he doesn't want that distinction. But then it should go to Cueto, someone that's been around and pitched with more consistency.

That said, I agree this isn't a huge deal. But Volquez has done nothing to deserve it, if we're treating it as an honor-based thing.

Sea Ray
02-22-2011, 03:35 PM

I get why Arroyo didn't get it, if he doesn't want that distinction. But then it should go to Cueto, someone that's been around and pitched with more consistency.

That said, I agree this isn't a huge deal. But Volquez has done nothing to deserve it, if we're treating it as an honor-based thing.

If I'm ranking the pros/cons of starting a certain pitcher on OD the issues Rem mentioned would rank higher than the "honor-based thing".

Roy Tucker
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Maybe we can bring back Aaron Harang ;)

bucksfan2
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Volquez seems like he is oblivious to the situation most of the times. This can be a good thing and it also can be a bad thing. There are times where Cueto lets the situation get too much of himself (Cards series).

With all the hoopla and excitement that goes along with OD I don't want Cueto in that spot, yet.

Brutus
02-22-2011, 04:06 PM
If I'm ranking the pros/cons of starting a certain pitcher on OD the issues Rem mentioned would rank higher than the "honor-based thing".

Other than Arroyo not being a good day pitcher, at least statistically, I don't really see any of those other issues having anything to do with the order of the rotation, to be perfectly honest. In the playoffs, definitely. In the regular season, I don't think that aspect matters.

"Best stuff" really doesn't mean much as to whether it's opening day or fourth in the rotation. And the issue with Volquez is that it's one thing to have stuff, but putting into use is a whole different challenge.

Chip R
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Arroyo just wants to avoid the Curse of the Opening Day Starter.

TheNext44
02-22-2011, 04:29 PM
Volquez is the only pitcher the Reds have that as any history of being a true #1 starter, even if it was for just half a season.

Even though matchups change over the course of a season, I would have to imagine that the opening day starter faces another team's #1 starter more often than any other pitcher in the rotation, and Volquez has the best chance of matching up against them, IMO.

Sea Ray
02-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Other than Arroyo not being a good day pitcher, at least statistically, I don't really see any of those other issues having anything to do with the order of the rotation, to be perfectly honest. In the playoffs, definitely. In the regular season, I don't think that aspect matters.

That's fair but that doesn't address my point. I'd like to hear if you think "the honor of Opening Day" has anything to do with the order of the rotation. If the answer's no then we don't have anything to debate

REDREAD
02-22-2011, 04:41 PM
I'm not going to cry about it, but I would've prefered to see Cueto get the OD job if Arroyo didn't want it.

Cueto also needs the "experience" of being in big games too. I would've slotted Volquez 3rd.. that still gives you the hard-soft sequence. IMO, Cueto earned it more than Volquez did.

However, Dusty is the master at managing people. I'm sure he has a good reason for doing this. Maybe he feels Volquez will respond to this honor. I agree that in the grand scheme of things, this really doesn't matter. I just hope Volquez has a good game. It would be a shame to start the season on a sour note in a sold out stadium (a lot of fair weather fans at that game).

Brutus
02-22-2011, 04:51 PM
That's fair but that doesn't address my point. I'd like to hear if you think "the honor of Opening Day" has anything to do with the order of the rotation. If the answer's no then we don't have anything to debate

Do I think it should? No I do not, in which case I would agree with your point. But do I think it does? I think a lot of managers treat it that way, and historically it's been looked at as an honor and privilege awarded to deserving guys that have put in a lot of work and been a great representative of the organization (or another organization).

By my own standards, I agree it wouldn't really be an issue either way. But I don't think managers have always approached it that way, even Dusty (especially Dusty) and so using his own outlook on managerial decisions, I don't think this is a good one.

RedsManRick
02-22-2011, 05:06 PM
It's not like we've got a guy who clearly stands out from the pack and has "earned" the opening day start by virtue of his ability. All of Dusty's reasons seem legitimate to me. As saber as I get, I realize that a lot of the game is psychological and if there's one strength Dusty has, it's keeping guys comfortable and pointed in the right direction.

The only guy who could make a legitimate claim is Arroyo and he's been open in the past about not caring for it.

edabbs44
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
It's not like we've got a guy who clearly stands out from the pack and has "earned" the opening day start by virtue of his ability. All of Dusty's reasons seem legitimate to me. As saber as I get, I realize that a lot of the game is psychological and if there's one strength Dusty has, it's keeping guys comfortable and pointed in the right direction.

The only guy who could make a legitimate claim is Arroyo and he's been open in the past about not caring for it.

Agree 100%.

Sea Ray
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Do I think it should? No I do not, in which case I would agree with your point. But do I think it does? I think a lot of managers treat it that way, and historically it's been looked at as an honor and privilege awarded to deserving guys that have put in a lot of work and been a great representative of the organization (or another organization).

By my own standards, I agree it wouldn't really be an issue either way. But I don't think managers have always approached it that way, even Dusty (especially Dusty) and so using his own outlook on managerial decisions, I don't think this is a good one.

By a good one do you mean a good "decision"? I think it is a good decision. No reason to make it a sentimental one like he's done in the past with Harang.

Brutus
02-22-2011, 06:53 PM
By a good one do you mean a good "decision"? I think it is a good decision. No reason to make it a sentimental one like he's done in the past with Harang.

Harang had at least done something over his career to earn it. He had been the staple of the Reds' staff for a couple of years and been a huge asset to the organization. I have nothing against Volquez and I absolutely agree that he's got the most potential of the group we're discussing... but he's coming off an injury and simultaneous suspension and has pitched well, with any consistency, for really only about 3 months as a MLB pitcher.

Given the choices, I think Cueto would have been a more appropriate decision. But again, I'm just going by the human element that goes into choosing an opening day starter. I don't think it's going to impact the Reds' season much.

Unassisted
02-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Maybe we can bring back Aaron Harang ;)Can we bring back Mario Soto instead? Apparently he can still throw a changeup. :D

Griffey012
02-22-2011, 07:03 PM
If it wasn't Dusty calling the shot nobody would have any issue with it. If Price was the one that recommended starting Volquez and breaking up the soft tossers everyone would be talking about what an intelligent move that is. But oops, Dusty said it so it must be blasphemous.

I completely understand and agree with Dusty's logic. Volquez is likely on or he is off, a lot of games he will dominate like a true number one, but he will have his games mixed in where he cant throw strikes and struggles and give up 4 or 5 runs in 4 innings with a high pitch count. So a good chunk of the time he will be going toe to toe with the other teams #1 and can pitch right there with them.

Arroyo on the other hand is Mr. Consistent but nothing flashy, he is typically very good but a notch below those #1 types. Putting him in the 2 or 3 slot takes advantage of that and puts our staff in the best set-up to be successful. Props for taking the road less traveled Dusty.

I(heart)Freel
02-22-2011, 08:20 PM
The Reds could also be looking at the Brewers series and charting the best path to reach 2 wins. It's going to be hard to beat Greinke. The only Reds pitcher with the comparable nastiness is Volquez. Risk? Sure. But you could fall into a bullpen win there.

Then you have Mr. Quality Start Arroyo and Cueto to come back out on Saturday and Sunday and try to outpitch Marcum and Gallardo.

It's not conceding Game One, necessarily. But it is stacking the deck the best you can for the other games.

I kinda think Dusty/Price did this in Philly last October too. Granted, that didn't work out so well.

reds44
02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
The Reds could also be looking at the Brewers series and charting the best path to reach 2 wins. It's going to be hard to beat Greinke. The only Reds pitcher with the comparable nastiness is Volquez. Risk? Sure. But you could fall into a bullpen win there.

Then you have Mr. Quality Start Arroyo and Cueto to come back out on Saturday and Sunday and try to outpitch Marcum and Gallardo.

It's not conceding Game One, necessarily. But it is stacking the deck the best you can for the other games.

I kinda think Dusty/Price did this in Philly last October too. Granted, that didn't work out so well.
I think you are over thinking it.

kaldaniels
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
It's nothing more than a symbolic move in my eyes. He should have gotten the ball on opening day in 2009 so maybe this evens things out. I'd have had no problem with Bronson or Johnny either.

Slyder
02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
I just hope that the Reds FO isnt trying to "legitimize" trading Hamilton by thrusting Volquez to the top. I would have perfered Cueto to get it personally but Volquez would have been in the discussion.

Redsfan320
02-22-2011, 10:05 PM
If it wasn't Dusty calling the shot nobody would have any issue with it. If Price was the one that recommended starting Volquez and breaking up the soft tossers everyone would be talking about what an intelligent move that is. But oops, Dusty said it so it must be blasphemous.

I don't feel like addressing 4 pages, but that's crap. I don't care if its Dusty, Price, or the man on the moon who chose it. For all we know, it actually was Price. It was, in my opinion, an unwise choice, because of the choice, not who made it. Don't patronize me (or others who share the same view point).

Ghosts of 1990
02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Several teams or doing so.

What the HECK has Volquez done to deserve the OD nod over Arroyo, or with him not liking day games and what not, Cueto???? How'd that work out in the DS, huh??

Exactly.

This organization is trying SO hard to make this guy a headliner to justify trading away an MVP that it's not even funny. There's at least 2 to maybe 3 guys I would rather have on the mound in a big game than EV. Maybe soon 4.

Homer Bailey
02-22-2011, 10:58 PM
Exactly.

This organization is trying SO hard to make this guy a headliner to justify trading away an MVP that it's not even funny. There's at least 2 to maybe 3 guys I would rather have on the mound in a big game than EV. Maybe soon 4.

That is such a drastic exagerration with zero evidence to back it up that it's not even funny.

Please note that the GM that is currently running this team did NOT make the Volquez trade. This trade has absolutely nothing to do with that trade.

kbrake
02-22-2011, 10:59 PM
I really don't think the organization is so hell bent on trying to justify a trade that happened under a different GM. Volquez is the guy most likely to become an ace on this staff. No problem at all with this move.

OnBaseMachine
02-22-2011, 11:02 PM
That is such a drastic exagerration with zero evidence to back it up that it's not even funny.

Please note that the GM that is currently running this team did NOT make the Volquez trade. This trade has absolutely nothing to do with that trade.

Agreed. Good grief.

kaldaniels
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
WAR over the past 3 years

Bronson 5.7
Johnny 5.5
Edinson 5.4 (with the time off for injury, suspension did not affect time off ;))

Like I said, could have been any of them as far as I am concerned.

Homer Bailey
02-22-2011, 11:28 PM
Agreed. Good grief.

I guess they're also trying to justify the Willy Mo Pena trade by starting Arroyo for game 2?

edabbs44
02-22-2011, 11:29 PM
I guess they're also trying to justify the Willy Mo Pena trade by starting Arroyo for game 2?

Rumor has it Chris Gruler was seen throwing a side session today in hopes to start game 3.

fugowitribe
02-23-2011, 01:09 AM
I think Volquez carries a swagger and self-assurance that is needed for an OD Starter in Cincinnati. Also, it shows the confidence in him in a big spot (after NLDS Game 1). But I think most importantly, Volquez wants to be a #1 guy, and with the fact that he turned down 4 years with the club earlier in the offseason, I think it is a good thing to send him out against the best the league has to offer before we try and give him what he thinks he deserves in a contract later on.

reds44
02-23-2011, 01:15 AM
Rumor has it Chris Gruler was seen throwing a side session today in hopes to start game 3.
They're also going to make Bill Bray the closer for OD.

WVRedsFan
02-23-2011, 01:59 AM
No big deal. If Volquez is to be the No. 1 everyone wants him to be, this is the stage and we'll see what he does with it. Like someone else said, it's one of 162. That's all. Time will tell the tale of the powress of Edinson Volquez. I am one who doubts he'll ever be any more than a middle of the rotation pitcher, but I hope and pray I am wrong. It's in the best interests of my favorite team for him to do well, so I hope he does well. I hope everyone else feels the same. Whether he deserves it or not is not the question. Did Jimmy Haynes deserve it? I think not, but he proved his worth and so will Volquez.

Matt700wlw
02-23-2011, 02:15 AM
It's nice to have three worthy pitchers for this debate as opposed to five unworthy like years past...

Razor Shines
02-23-2011, 02:50 AM

I completely understand and agree with Dusty's logic. Volquez is likely on or he is off, a lot of games he will dominate like a true number one, but he will have his games mixed in where he cant throw strikes and struggles and give up 4 or 5 runs in 4 innings with a high pitch count. So a good chunk of the time he will be going toe to toe with the other teams #1 and can pitch right there with them.

That parts not really true.

I don't really care who starts OD out of Cueto, Arroyo and Volqy. In the grand scheme of things it's not going to matter.

blumj
02-23-2011, 03:35 AM
It is still February, right? What an odd trend, announcing OD starters before anyone's even started playing the fake games yet.

membengal
02-23-2011, 07:24 AM
Just delighted it won't be Aaron Harang again. Volquez makes sense, as much as anyone else does. It's not like they announced Sam Lecure to be the Opening Day starter. A little surprised that this thread went to five pages over Cincy settling on a starter early from one of the three obvious candidates.

Has anyone made this observation yet...for my money, I am really pleased that Cincy is already locking in their top 3 early and acknowledging as much, I just love the stability of knowing who fits where and that they can set up their outings this spring to get ready for the plan. And, it will make it easier for them to let Wood/Leake do their pitching battle thing.

It all sounds like the kind of thing organziations that have their stuff together do. I think some Reds fans remain stuck in 2005.

bucksfan2
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
I think Volquez carries a swagger and self-assurance that is needed for an OD Starter in Cincinnati. Also, it shows the confidence in him in a big spot (after NLDS Game 1). But I think most importantly, Volquez wants to be a #1 guy, and with the fact that he turned down 4 years with the club earlier in the offseason, I think it is a good thing to send him out against the best the league has to offer before we try and give him what he thinks he deserves in a contract later on.

If anyone has swagger on the Reds its Wood. Swagger, Moxie, etc.

jojo
02-23-2011, 10:19 AM
If you're trying to get a guy to sign longer term, this is a great way to show him love without really having a lot of consequences.

Homer Bailey
02-23-2011, 11:11 AM
It is still February, right? What an odd trend, announcing OD starters before anyone's even started playing the fake games yet.

I posed the same question earlier, but then I realized that they probably want to get their guys on the right schedules (spring training wise) to sync up with their first start.

Chip R
02-23-2011, 01:58 PM

IIRC, some other teams have announced their Opening Day Starters. I believe I saw the other day where Dempster's going to pitch Opening Day for the Cubs.

cumberlandreds
02-23-2011, 02:20 PM
IIRC, some other teams have announced their Opening Day Starters. I believe I saw the other day where Dempster's going to pitch Opening Day for the Cubs.

Livan Hernandez is going to open for the Nats. The Opening Day starter is mostly overhyped. It's one game of a 162. No big deal to me who starts.

kpresidente
02-28-2011, 09:56 AM
If you go by xFIP, Volquez was our best pitcher last year....

Volquez 3.87
Bailey 3.91
Wood 4.17
Cueto 4.26
Leake 4.31
Arroyo 4.60

Who else, then, should be the opening day starter? Is it possible that Dusty Baker has gone too SABR for Redzone? HA!

Something else I noticed looking at these guys' numbers....Volquez had a .484 opposing BABiP in his losses last year. No way that keeps up. So you can't even claim he's all that inconsistent, which is the usual criticism. The guy just had really bad luck. None of the other pitchers BABiP splits are near as wide as Volquez:

PLAYER WINS BABiP LOSS BABiP DIFF
Volquez .268 .484 -.216
Wood .205 .344 -.139
Cueto .234 .349 -.115
Bailey .189 .277 -.88
Leake .273 .355 -.82
Arroyo .218 .287 -.69

So the difference between Volquez (1st) and Wood (2nd) is greater than the difference between Wood (2nd) and Arroyo (6th). I'm looking for good things from EV this year.

JaxRed
02-28-2011, 10:07 AM
Dodgers announced Kershaw several days ago.

TRF
02-28-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't feel like addressing 4 pages, but that's crap. I don't care if its Dusty, Price, or the man on the moon who chose it. For all we know, it actually was Price. It was, in my opinion, an unwise choice, because of the choice, not who made it. Don't patronize me (or others who share the same view point).

There are a lot of decaffeinated coffee choices that taste as good as regular coffee. :)

That said, let us look at a few FACTOIDS shall we?

Fact: Arroyo has a stated preference not to pitch on OD. In general he doesn't pitch well in day games compared to night games, last year being the exception.

Fact: Cueto has had issues controlling his emotions. OD can be a hyped up atmosphere,

Fact: Has any Reds starter had as good a season as EV in 2008? Tale of 2 halves? maybe, but the overall numbers were very, good. #1 starter good in fact.

Fact: nearly every argument made against EV starting has centered around "what did he do to earn it". Well, he signed a contract, and the managing staff want him to do it.

bucksfan2
02-28-2011, 03:24 PM
There are a lot of decaffeinated coffee choices that taste as good as regular coffee. :)

That said, let us look at a few FACTOIDS shall we?

Fact: Arroyo has a stated preference not to pitch on OD. In general he doesn't pitch well in day games compared to night games, last year being the exception.

Fact: Cueto has had issues controlling his emotions. OD can be a hyped up atmosphere,

Fact: Has any Reds starter had as good a season as EV in 2008? Tale of 2 halves? maybe, but the overall numbers were very, good. #1 starter good in fact.

Fact: nearly every argument made against EV starting has centered around "what did he do to earn it". Well, he signed a contract, and the managing staff want him to do it.

Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica

I don't mind that Volquez is starting OD. He wouldn't be my first choice but if Arroyo doesn't want it I guess Volquez makes sense. That is as long as he gets his working visa in time.

reds44
02-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Cueto pitched great in game 3 of the NLDS last year, I think he could handle OD.

Griffey012
02-28-2011, 10:01 PM
That parts not really true.

I don't really care who starts OD out of Cueto, Arroyo and Volqy. In the grand scheme of things it's not going to matter.

I just took the time to do some research on the topic of teams #1 squaring off against each other. The 1 vs 1 match-up happens more than any other pitching rotation match-up. The Dewan info is likely pretty legit, where as the other blog doesn't mention a source and I just came across it google searching, but the numbers seem pretty fair. I like how the blog does it simply by #1 rotation spot because that is independent of injuries, as we see in the Dewan chart where the biggest portion of Opening Day starters starts occur against pitchers not even in the rotation.

The issue lies in the fact the blog is showing around 50% of the time the number 1 rotation spots are lined up where as Dewans chart has 19.7%, I find it hard to believe the entire 30% would be injuries to other teams number 1 pitchers.

It would be interesting to see a full blown study with many many years of data included. However, it does appear the opening day starter is going to face the other teams ace more than any other pitcher in the rotation and possibly a lot more.

http://www.wezen-ball.com/2010-articles/december/matching-rotations-spots-a-the-phils-qfour-acesq-how-many-games-will-the-no-4-starter-face-another-no-4.html

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/dewan_do_1_starters_face_tougher_opposing_starters/

RedsManRick...do you have any information on this topic?

Griffey012
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM

Sorry, I should have used "a lot of people" instead of "nobody." Reading a lot of the threads this off-season and getting closer to ST there is still a good chunk of people who do not care much for Dusty at all, and that's fair, it's everyone's opinion. But it is hard for me to think the reaction would be the same across the board if Dusty was quoted explaining it was Price that made the call and Price's reasoning.

I'm not trying to generalize, patronize, or whatever else you want to call it, my opinion is simply that the reaction would be different from a lot of people, and I am entitled to that.

Redsfan320
02-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Sorry, I should have used "a lot of people" instead of "nobody." Reading a lot of the threads this off-season and getting closer to ST there is still a good chunk of people who do not care much for Dusty at all, and that's fair, it's everyone's opinion. But it is hard for me to think the reaction would be the same across the board if Dusty was quoted explaining it was Price that made the call and Price's reasoning.

I'm not trying to generalize, patronize, or whatever else you want to call it, my opinion is simply that the reaction would be different from a lot of people, and I am entitled to that.

Thanks, and fair enough. We're all good, 012. :beerme: