PDA

View Full Version : Wainwright Returns to St. Louis

Flea
02-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Per Joe Strauss. Wainwright has returned to St. Louis for an elbow injury. Club anticipates an extended absence. Might need Tommy John Surgery.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_141e8434-3f58-11e0-b886-00127992bc8b.html

SeeinRed
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
I never like seeing a player have injuries like this, even if it is for the Cardinals. Hopefully he gets some good news. This does significantly hurt the Cards if he is gone for an extended period. It will be interesting to see how they fill the hole in the rotation. I've heard a lot of talk about Carpenter being a candidate for injury this year also. That would be an absolute disaster for the Cards. Their rotation does not look near as good right now as it did before this injury.

Tadasimha
02-23-2011, 09:40 AM
My family and I were talking about this the other day - we see the Cards as just an injury or two from a season that will totally collapse around them. If this is true, St Louis could be in for a very long season.

davereds24
02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Wow that sucks. The Reds survived without EV last year though, so don't count out the Cards yet.

R_Webb18
02-23-2011, 10:03 AM
not out but this def hurts a lot for them

CySeymour
02-23-2011, 10:10 AM
Never like to see something like this. If the Reds win or lose the division, I want to see it done on the field, not the trainers room.

Spazzrico
02-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Definitely puts St. Louis' pitching depth issues into sharp relief. That's a huge blow.

HalMorrisRules
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I didnt know Dusty Baker was his manager. How else could a pitcher get injured, right? :rolleyes:

JKam
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow that sucks. The Reds survived without EV last year though, so don't count out the Cards yet.

True, but Cincy had depth in the pitching rotation which St. Louis doesn't have. Cincy with Lecure and Maloney has 8 guys that could fill in the starting rotation. St Louis is trying to cobble a staff of 4 to 5 guys with no depth in the minor leagues. Big difference.

davereds24
02-23-2011, 10:52 AM
True, but Cincy had depth in the pitching rotation which St. Louis doesn't have. Cincy with Lecure and Maloney has 8 guys that could fill in the starting rotation. St Louis is trying to cobble a staff of 4 to 5 guys with no depth in the minor leagues. Big difference.

Not really. Maloney and LeCure were 4-7 last year. It was Wood and Leake that made the difference. Nobody expected either one to contribute at the big league level last year going into spring training. The Cardinals have Seth Blair who came from ASU just like Leake and might get a shot out of camp.

Stray
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Hate to hear this. Hope he has as speedy of a recovery as possible.

Pony Boy
02-23-2011, 11:55 AM
There is a lot of talk coming out of Cards country that Kyle McClellan could move into the rotation to replace Wainwright.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_d0e8a3d8-3f62-11e0-bc25-00127992bc8b.html

This would be a very risky move. McClellan is their best reliever, but he was pretty much a failure as a starter in the minors. His move into the minor league bullpen resurrected his status as a prospect. Although he was still very young when this all went down.

Worst case scenario for the Cards is that McClellan isnt effective as a starter and the bullpen gets taxed by the loss of their best arm. Best case scenario is McClellan makes a smooth transition to starting and the bullpen still gets taxed.

Tough situation for the Cards.

UPRedsFan
02-23-2011, 01:15 PM
Here's where the talking heads make the mistake of undervaluing the Reds depth when they rank starting rotations.

The Reds survived just fine without Volquez and Harang last year. The Cards just don't have the depth to replace Wainwright. The Brewers don't have depth to replace Greinke if something god forbid happened to his elbow.

Meanwhile the Reds don't have a superstar Ace but they have 6 very solid major league starters, plus a couple minor leaguers with big league innings under the belt in Maloney and LeCure. That's a competitive advantage not often talked about in the media.

UCBrownsfan
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
I wonder if this increases the chance of Cris Carpenter getting hurt as well.

He's only followed up 1 200+ inning year in his career with a healthy season once. Now his workload will go up even just a little. With Wainright/ Carpenter back to back, you can count on one of them giving bullpen relief. As well Garcia was treated with kid gloves, for a starter with a sub 3 ERA to average less than 6 inn a start shows they were quick to go to the bullpen for him, he was following 2 days of bullpen rest often last year, as Wainwright and Carpenter avg 7 Inn / start, and were 2 - 3 in the NL in IP.

RedLakerFan24
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM
That sucks, wainwright is actually the one of the Cardinals i like, the other cardinal i like is Albert Pujols, it should've been Carpernter instead of Wainwright

takealeake
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
That really sucks for them, but I can't say I'll decline the advantage.

redsfan_12
02-23-2011, 01:48 PM
That really sucks for them, but I can't say I'll decline the advantage.

ditto! :thumbup:

Eric in IL
02-23-2011, 03:15 PM
How close is Shelby Miller to being MLB ready for the Cardinals?

St. Louis must think very highly of him because they were reluctant to deal him for Roy Oswalt last season. Miller is ranked the #13 prospect according to Baseball America.

New York Red
02-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Here's where the talking heads make the mistake of undervaluing the Reds depth when they rank starting rotations.

The Reds survived just fine without Volquez and Harang last year. The Cards just don't have the depth to replace Wainwright. The Brewers don't have depth to replace Greinke if something god forbid happened to his elbow.

Meanwhile the Reds don't have a superstar Ace but they have 6 very solid major league starters, plus a couple minor leaguers with big league innings under the belt in Maloney and LeCure. That's a competitive advantage not often talked about in the media.
This ^^^ can't be stated enough. It's been a long time since the Reds had the kind of pitching depth we have now. The topic doesn't get a lot of play, but it is one of the real strengths of this Reds roster. Bad news for Wainwright. Never want to see a player suffer a serious injury.

JKam
02-23-2011, 03:52 PM
It will be interesting how much Larussa fears the Reds. I wonder if he will map out his rotation to make sure his top 3 pitchers face the Reds like he did late in the season last year. He may not have the luxury of doing it now, but if he did, you might smell the blood in the water.

freestyle55
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
How will Chris Carpenter explain this to his son????

(that never gets old...) All joking aside, sucks for Wainwright, beneficial to our boys...

LeDoux
02-23-2011, 11:46 PM
With this injury and bad defense the Cards will be putting on the field, they may allow 800 runs this year.

Defacto
02-24-2011, 01:00 AM
I wonder if this increases the chance of Cris Carpenter getting hurt as well.

He's only followed up 1 200+ inning year in his career with a healthy season once. Now his workload will go up even just a little. With Wainright/ Carpenter back to back, you can count on one of them giving bullpen relief. As well Garcia was treated with kid gloves, for a starter with a sub 3 ERA to average less than 6 inn a start shows they were quick to go to the bullpen for him, he was following 2 days of bullpen rest often last year, as Wainwright and Carpenter avg 7 Inn / start, and were 2 - 3 in the NL in IP.

This is just me, but comparing Volquez to Wainwright is inaccurate. Wainwright has been one of the best pitchers since 2007, Volquez, while good, isn't that good, at least not yet. No team has the depth to lose a #1, but some teams can lessen the blow by making trades or signings.

bounty37h
02-24-2011, 10:32 AM
I didnt know Dusty Baker was his manager. How else could a pitcher get injured, right? :rolleyes:

You just made BRM7576 smile :)

mroby85
02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet but they're reporting it as "breaking news" (which sometimes means its been breaking news for 6 hours on ESPN) but they just said Wainwright officially needs tommy john surgery after the second opinion.

bounty37h
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Best wishes to him on a successful surgery and speedy recovery. That said, it certainly is a break for the other teams, as well as I personally dont mind seeing the Cards squirm a lil now. I dont wish injury on anyone, but it happens and is part of the game, no one feels bad for us when its our guy, I dont feel too bad for others when its theirs.

Maker_84
02-24-2011, 12:36 PM
their lack of depth is gonna be exposed this season. I really wish this would have happened to Carpenter instead.

mroby85
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
their lack of depth is gonna be exposed this season. I really wish this would have happened to Carpenter instead.

I agree 100%. Their lack of depth has been bailed out recently because they have two absolute studs at the top of the rotation who win almost every time out, and a freak like Pujols. Now you only have a guy going like that every 5th day, and the one who remains healthy (carpenter) has been very injury prone in the past. I'm more concerned about the Brewers at this point.

Defacto
02-24-2011, 05:40 PM
I agree 100%. Their lack of depth has been bailed out recently because they have two absolute studs at the top of the rotation who win almost every time out, and a freak like Pujols. Now you only have a guy going like that every 5th day, and the one who remains healthy (carpenter) has been very injury prone in the past. I'm more concerned about the Brewers at this point.

Show me the lack of depth. The Cards have nice 3, even without Waino, and if Lohse bounces back, that's 4.

mroby85
02-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Show me the lack of depth. The Cards have nice 3, even without Waino, and if Lohse bounces back, that's 4.

Not trying to be rude, but you're obviously biased. You're trying to downplay the loss of Wainwright, and talking about Kyle Lohse bouncing back. We know all too well about Kyle Lohse here in Cincinnati, and last year he was actually bouncing back to the norm. Who is the 3rd? and how does that match up against Cueto, Leake, Bailey or Wood? The Brewers have a superior offense to the Cardinals, and now have better pitching as well with Grienke, Gallardo, name escapes me, but they signed someone solid from Toronto, and Randy Wolf could bounce back if Lohse does.

Defacto
02-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Not trying to be rude, but you're obviously biased. You're trying to downplay the loss of Wainwright, and talking about Kyle Lohse bouncing back. We know all too well about Kyle Lohse here in Cincinnati, and last year he was actually bouncing back to the norm. Who is the 3rd? and how does that match up against Cueto, Leake, Bailey or Wood? The Brewers have a superior offense to the Cardinals, and now have better pitching as well with Grienke, Gallardo, name escapes me, but they signed someone solid from Toronto, and Randy Wolf could bounce back if Lohse does.

The 3rd is either Westbrook or Jaime. I'm not saying that I'm not biased. No team has the depth to replace a #1 starter. I'll admit that. It's not the end of the world, though. Cards are done if Carp or Albert go down.

Tadasimha
02-25-2011, 02:25 PM
How close is Shelby Miller to being MLB ready for the Cardinals?

St. Louis must think very highly of him because they were reluctant to deal him for Roy Oswalt last season. Miller is ranked the #13 prospect according to Baseball America.

He's no where near ready to come up to the bigs yet. I saw him pitch a couple of times for the River Bandits and the potential is huge for Miller, but he needs a lot more time. He gets a lot of strike outs but he also gives up plenty of hits too. If he has a great spring, he'll start at AA, otherwise he'll be starting at high-A in Palm Springs.

The Cards have some potential down in their system (Miller, Charlie Cutler, Robert Stock, Matt Adams) but they're all VERY raw and no one is ready to come up anytime soon. Charlie Cutler managed a game better than any young catcher I've seen in years, but he's still probably going to start at AA this season.

Tadasimha
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
Heard on Baseball Tonight yesterday that Chris Carpenter said he'd be willing to ok a trade from the Cardinals.

So now the Cards de facto #1 starter has basically stated this is a lost season and he's ready to move to another team. That hurts almost as much as losing Wainwright.

Vottomatic
02-27-2011, 02:21 AM
Heard on Baseball Tonight yesterday that Chris Carpenter said he'd be willing to ok a trade from the Cardinals.

So now the Cards de facto #1 starter has basically stated this is a lost season and he's ready to move to another team. That hurts almost as much as losing Wainwright.

It's good to see the Cards players giving up. That's what they do best.