PDA

View Full Version : What about the Cubs?

kaldaniels
02-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Easily written Cubs jokes aside, how do you see this season playing out for Chicago. I don't know why, but I've gotten a "dark horse" vibe about them over the past week. While odds are it will be another long season in Wrigleyville, do any of you guys see them posing a threat to Cincy this year?

And you can put me on the record with this, with the Cubs' large payroll, I think it is just a matter of time (granted, it still could be awhile) till they are the dominant team in the Central. They just need a compentent front office.

camisadelgolf
02-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I understand the dark horse vibe. I get it, too. All it would take is for a couple of players to do not-too-surprisingly well. For example, if Blake DeWitt produces like he did as a rookie, that could go a long way. If Starlin Castro improves his defense, that will make a difference. If Aramis Ramirez and Alfonso Soriano hit like they're capable of, that would be huge for them. What if Tyler Colvin has a breakout year? What if Carlos Zambrano rebounds in a big way? The odds of all of these happening are slim, but they're far from unrealistic.

Ron Madden
02-23-2011, 04:04 PM
I've said it before, I'll say it again.

I belive the NL Central will be a four team race.

Brutus
02-23-2011, 04:07 PM

I belive the NL Central will be a four team race.

Reds, Brewers, Cards & Astros?

Phhhl
02-23-2011, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't underestimate their pitching. They could hang around, although they have to be viewed as a tier beneath the Reds, Brewers and Cardinals.

15fan
02-23-2011, 04:31 PM
The last time the Cubs won a WS, the flat earth was thought to be the center of the universe, Johanes Gutenberg had not yet invented moveable type, and the bubonic plague was still several centuries away.

I am going to spend more time worrying about how I'm going to keep all 12 Playmates of the month from 2010 happy when we move to Utah this summer & get married than I am going to worry about the Cubs in 2011.

redsmetz
02-23-2011, 04:33 PM

I believe the NL Central will be a four team race.

I agree. We can take nothing for granted. Even with the loss of Wainwright, the Cardinals always seem to find a way to be in the thick of it. And with those other three that we have to go head to head on, I don't think we can afford to dismiss the Pirates and Astros as complete patsies - they'll win a few ballgames and I'd like it to not be against us.

medford
02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
I agree that the Cubs will eventually put all things together and break the curse. The Astros won't lay dormant forever, the Cards are usually pretty good, etc...

The cubs were really, really close to being the equivalent of the Yankees a few years back. Wood & Prior were going to be the dominate Aces, top 10 pitchers in baseball for the next 10 seasons, not to mention Carlos Zambrano coming in just behind them. Sammy was going to follow the route of Barry Bonds and continue to put up huge numbers into his 40s, they'd have Aramis at 3rd, and Lee at 1st. A monster offense to go w/ a monster pitching staff. In short, despite the Bartman issue, the Cubs were set to be a huge monster for the next decade. Wood & Prior couldn't hold up, Sammy forgot how to speak English. Zambrano went crazy, Lee & Aramis gradually aged, they over spent for guys who under produced and have found themselves spinning their wheels for the last decade. Sometimes, it seems like fate just isn't on their side. Kind of like the BoSox, once it turns, they'll ride the wave to prolonged success.

In the meantime, it wouldn't be all that bad to aim for 200 years w/o a penant.

cincrazy
02-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Easily written Cubs jokes aside, how do you see this season playing out for Chicago. I don't know why, but I've gotten a "dark horse" vibe about them over the past week. While odds are it will be another long season in Wrigleyville, do any of you guys see them posing a threat to Cincy this year?

And you can put me on the record with this, with the Cubs' large payroll, I think it is just a matter of time (granted, it still could be awhile) till they are the dominant team in the Central. They just need a compentent front office.

Agreed on the latter point. And with Ricketts ownership now aboard, expect competency to come pretty quickly to Chicago. At the very least, it will be a guaranteed improvement over the Tribune Co.

In terms of just this year, the Cubs could surprise, but a lot has to go right. Silva has to have another great year, Big Z needs to not be a Big Psycho, and a couple of old vets (Ramirez, Soriano especially) need to rebound and prove they aren't falling into the pits.

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
For some reason I fear the Houston Astros more than the Cubs. I just see them having the kind of surprising year that the Padres had last year.

cincrazy
02-23-2011, 11:23 PM
For some reason I fear the Houston Astros more than the Cubs. I just see them having the kind of surprising year that the Padres had last year.

People are totally sleeping on the Astros. I don't think they have anywhere near the hitting to win the division, but that rotation isn't bad at all, it actually may be very good. If they had a few bats, they'd be a force.

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 11:26 PM
cin, weren't the Astros among the league leaders in runs scored after the All Star game last year? I just think their rotation with Happ, Wandy, and Myers will be tough on a nightly basis for visiting teams.

cincrazy
02-23-2011, 11:34 PM
cin, weren't the Astros among the league leaders in runs scored after the All Star game last year? I just think their rotation with Happ, Wandy, and Myers will be tough on a nightly basis for visiting teams.

I'm going strictly by memory, but I think you may be right. Carlos Lee heated up and they took off. But I still don't like their offense this year. Brett Wallace, Clint Barmes, even Lee if you look at his overall numbers from last year... ick.

Even a guy like Felipe Paulino may make serious noise for them this year, that guy has incredible stuff and started to put it together last season.

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Brett Wallace was the Cardinals #1 prospect for years. He has tons of upside. Granted, I'll still rather have Holliday but Wallace is going to have a good future.

REDblooded
02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Made a great bet with my boss 2 nights ago... Reds or Cubs... Whichever team finishes higher in the standings, the loser has to buy 4 tickets to a cubs/reds game at the opposing park and wear the opposing team's gear to the game...

cincrazy
02-24-2011, 12:04 AM
Brett Wallace was the Cardinals #1 prospect for years. He has tons of upside. Granted, I'll still rather have Holliday but Wallace is going to have a good future.

Wallace looked awful last season with Houston, and has bounced around from organization to organization for a while now. I think whatever potential he once had has gone by the wayside.

However, if he gets on the Ken Caminiti/Brett Boone diet special, things could change ;).

MattyHo4Life
02-24-2011, 02:31 AM
But I still don't like their offense this year. Brett Wallace

Don't discount Brett Wallace. The kid can hit, and he will only get better.

Ron Madden
02-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Houston could very well jump up and surprise most fans.

Right now though I like the Brewers, Cards, Cubs and Reds better.

PS. I just listed those 4 clubs in alphabetical order according to nicknames. :)

membengal
02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
I get a little tired of reflexive 1908 observations in writing the Cubs off. Time lapse since last World Series win aside, they have been division contenders on and off for a decade. And they made some moves that improve their chances for 2011. Yes, they are a threat too.

bucksfan2
02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Fukadome, Soriano, Ramirez, and Zambrano. All three guys are under performing to awful contracts. If they play like their contract warrants the Cubs could be contenders. I don't see that happening as 3 of the 4 are on the downside of their careers. And if Pena doesn't get it together it could be a long season for the Cubs.