PDA

View Full Version : Gomes celebrated news of Wainwright's injury

signalhome
02-23-2011, 04:52 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/reds-outfielder-jonny-gomes-celebrated-news-of-adam-wainwrights-elbow-injury

$10 says he's hit in the ribs in his first at bat against the Cardinals.

NorrisHopper30
02-23-2011, 04:55 PM
This series vs the Cards will be awesome.

JayBruceFan
02-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Couldn't believe this when I saw it. He better wear a bigger helmet when he faces them this season

aldotcs
02-23-2011, 04:58 PM
Yikes. And they thought Brandon Phillips went too far.

mroby85
02-23-2011, 05:30 PM
That is so awesome, haha. I'm a little afraid that I had the same mentality as Gomes when I heard the news, lol.

signalhome
02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
That is so awesome, haha. I'm a little afraid that I had the same mentality as Gomes when I heard the news, lol.

My response to my friend who told me was "That's great for the rest of the Central, terrible for the Cards. Still sucks, though."

It's fantastic news for the Reds' chances this year, but I still feel terrible for Wainwright. He'll likely have to have Tommy John surgery, and there's always the possibility that he never comes back the same. I hate that for the guy and even for the Cards' fans, as much as I despise their organization. I just imagine how I'd feel if that were Cueto or Bailey (I'm keeping the faith in Homer) suffering the injury.

Now, if it had been Carpenter? Haha, kidding. I'd still feel bad for him (though probably not as much).

signalhome
02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree with the article that Dusty's comments were out of line. I didn't see anything disrespectful in what he said. Maybe I'm not picking up on something or I just read over it, but I don't see anything celebratory in what he said.

brm7675
02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Sorry but that is Bush league. No player should EVER celebrate another players injury at all. To bad we don't have a manager who will do anything about it.

BurgervilleBuck
02-23-2011, 05:40 PM
It's fantastic news for the Reds' chances this year, but I still feel terrible for Wainwright. He'll likely have to have Tommy John surgery, and there's always the possibility that he never comes back the same. I hate that for the guy and even for the Cards' fans, as much as I despise their organization. I just imagine how I'd feel if that were Cueto or Bailey (I'm keeping the faith in Homer) suffering the injury.
That's pretty much my feeling, too. As much as I hate the Cards, I'd prefer we beat them fair & square with all of their tools. But, on the other side of the coin, better them than us.

mroby85
02-23-2011, 05:43 PM
I somewhat feel bad for him as an individual, but i'm not going to lie and say I wasn't happy about it. I feel like it helps the Reds chances of winning the division significantly, and thats a lot more important to me than Adam Wainwright.

texasdave
02-23-2011, 05:46 PM
I somewhat feel bad for him as an individual, but i'm not going to lie and say I wasn't happy about it. I feel like it helps the Reds chances of winning the division significantly, and thats a lot more important to me than Adam Wainwright.

+1

There is not a team in baseball that thinks it is going to get through the season without injury, using only 25 players. Every team prepares, as best they can, for the inevitable injuries. It is why teams have a 40-man roster and it is part and parcel of the game. This may be the first serious injury of 2011 but it won't be the last. The Reds will have someone go down as well. And when that Reds player goes down if fans of the Brewers, Cardinals, etc. feel better about their chances of winning the division so be it.

Defacto
02-23-2011, 05:54 PM

A lot of people think Dusty ruined a fair amount of pitchers careers(Example: Mark Prior).

RedsLvr
02-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Not a big deal. I had the exact same reaction. And don't say it's wrong to be happy about it. The dude has had the success of 1 in a billion.

malcontent
02-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Just Gomes reclaiming the lead from DatDudeBP in their "nothing between the ears" competition.

Like Freel, I'll be glad when he's gone.

Stray
02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
I don't think Gomes would have sang if he knew it would be reported. I guess he should know that even your own clubhouse isn't safe from that anymore. Didn't Hal McCoy report that stuff that Phillips said too when it was said as a joke? I could be wrong but I thought I remembered it that way.

malcontent
02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Well, Gomes' clarification may help matters.

Like a few others, I don't know why McCoy still has access to the players.

JKam
02-23-2011, 07:12 PM
Gomes probably shouldn't have said that. Worse, he shouldn't have said it in front of a reporter, and the reporter, Hal McCoy, shouldn't have gone public with it. There are some things that should just stay in the locker room. If that quote gets Gomes plunked, you have to guess that Gomes aint' going to feed McCoy any nice interviews.

bornready
02-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry but that is Bush league. No player should EVER celebrate another players injury at all. To bad we don't have a manager who will do anything about it.

well at least you just found another reason to hate on dusty!

Votto4MVP
02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
That's pretty much my feeling, too. As much as I hate the Cards, I'd prefer we beat them fair & square with all of their tools. But, on the other side of the coin, better them than us.

"Fair and square". Obviously volquez is not wainright but we didnt have him most of the last two years do to TJ do you think the Cards felt bad because they didnt beat us fair and square in 2009? And weve had plenty of big injuries in the last decade or so (ie Griffey).

No offense to your comment, but i think its idiotic to say you prefer to beat them fair and square. Every single team that wins the world series ever is gonna to have some luck and breaks along the way, and not just their own but also injuries to other teams.

This is a terrible break for the cards and a huge break for the reds. The reds were the better team before the injury and now should be a whole class above the cards if we stay healthy.

With that being said, yeah i guess gomes shouldnt have celebrated. But im not gonna feel bad for a multi millionaire or the rival team.

foxfire123
02-23-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't celebrate any injury to any player, no matter how much I dislike him, or his team. Usually comes back to bite you like a Great White right in the fanny when you do!

Nathan
02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
"I came in and I said 'Is Wainwright gone, is Wainwright gone?'" Gomes said when reached by phone. "To clear up everything, I came up with Wainwright. I know Wainwright. I think he's one of the top notch pitchers in the National League and baseball. Outside of different uniforms that we wear and different cities we play in, playing in the Major Leagues, we're all brothers. There's a brotherhood there. There's one thing you would never wish upon any other player and that's an injury...

"Off the field, we're still human and we have families. There's one thing you don't wish upon anyone and that is an injury. Even if they are on the other team, you wish them the best of health. If Wainwright is gone, it doesn't mean anything to us. It maybe gives them the opportunity to make a trade for another big ace."

Per Mark Sheldon

Sean_CaseyRules
02-23-2011, 10:55 PM
It sucks when you can't say something in your own clubhouse without it being published. If what Nathan posted above is true, then Hal McCoy needs to have his clubhouse privileges revoked.

Now that being said, if it were true that he celebrated it, I don't see a problem. He was hoping someone got injured, he was reacting to the news. I HATE the Cardinals. Same way I HATE Michigan. Now not as many people would be opposing if Pryor had said something like this about a Michigan player. Same level of hatred to me.

OfficerRodFarva
02-23-2011, 10:57 PM
Was this in McCoy's blog? If so, I think it has been deleted.

I have always been a McCoy fan... today though, I am disappointed in him.

justincredible
02-23-2011, 10:58 PM
Hopefully Hal gets his hall pass taken away after this.

OfficerRodFarva
02-23-2011, 11:14 PM
It sucks when you can't say something in your own clubhouse without it being published. If what Nathan posted above is true, then Hal McCoy needs to have his clubhouse privileges revoked.

Now that being said, if it were true that he celebrated it, I don't see a problem. He was hoping someone got injured, he was reacting to the news. I HATE the Cardinals. Same way I HATE Michigan. Now not as many people would be opposing if Pryor had said something like this about a Michigan player. Same level of hatred to me.

Very few players in any sport would I wish injury upon.
Wainwright is not one of them.

02-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Just to clear things up. I have many friends who are sportswriters, even a few who are beat writers for teams, and I can tell you that Hal did nothing wrong.

The rule is that if you say anything in earshot of a reporter, he can print it. That is why there is only a small part of the clubhouse where reporters are allowed. Every player knows where this is, and knows that anything they say there is on the record.

I remember a friend of mine, who was the beat writer for a pro team, heard a player say something in the media section of the clubhouse about the manager that, if reported, would definitely get the player in trouble. My friend didn't want to report it because he didn't want to get the player in trouble, and wrestled with what to do, but in the end, reported it, because it was newsworthy and that was his job. Luckily, the player just got chewed out in front of the team by the manager, and wasn't benched or sent down.

I actually think this just points out what feckless reporter Fay is, because he was the only Reds beat writer who didn't report it.

Road Pop
02-24-2011, 04:33 AM
I had to go and read it. MEDIA! Not like I know Gomes..... but this is nothing. The media has NOTHING to write about but the NFL CBA right now. The Reds should screen the reporters a little closer now. Maybe not.

If this crap fires the Reds up for ST games, I'm all for it. It's not like Gomes said he wanted him dead or thought ill will towards his children and then wanted Chris to explain it to his son.

Fay and Hal are grasping at straws right now.

Did this report offend any Reds fans? Does anyone think less of Gomes as a person now? Are Reds fans happy we may not have to bat against Wainwright now? Can Carpenters' kid get over this ...... once it's explained to him?

We're REDS FANS! It's good to know a few players on the Cincinnati club are fans, too.

Go Jonny!

bounty37h
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
A lot of people think Dusty ruined a fair amount of pitchers careers(Example: Mark Prior).

A lot of people also really dont have a clue what they are talking about.
And why would Hal even report that in the first place, I am ready for him and Fay to retire, so sick of them being in the news for being instigators each year. Things happen/are said in a locker room and should stay there with that team. If I ran the Reds neither of those guys would be allowed in my stadium again, let alone pretend they are on my teams side-what would Fay do without his pregame buffet?

justincredible
02-24-2011, 10:04 AM
Just to clear things up. I have many friends who are sportswriters, even a few who are beat writers for teams, and I can tell you that Hal did nothing wrong.

Assuming Sheldon's account of the incident is correct then Hal certainly did something wrong.

bounty37h
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM

The rule is that if you say anything in earshot of a reporter, he can print it. That is why there is only a small part of the clubhouse where reporters are allowed. Every player knows where this is, and knows that anything they say there is on the record.

I remember a friend of mine, who was the beat writer for a pro team, heard a player say something in the media section of the clubhouse about the manager that, if reported, would definitely get the player in trouble. My friend didn't want to report it because he didn't want to get the player in trouble, and wrestled with what to do, but in the end, reported it, because it was newsworthy and that was his job. Luckily, the player just got chewed out in front of the team by the manager, and wasn't benched or sent down.

I actually think this just points out what feckless reporter Fay is, because he was the only Reds beat writer who didn't report it.

I hear what your saying, but I dont care (not saying in mean way or attacking you). I think he (and many others) is more of a National Enquirer kinda guy then a news kind of guy. I dont care about soap operas and that seems to be this style of reporting. I just dont have any respect for him, and maybe his profession if thats what they are going after. Tell me what they do on the field, leave the gossip girl stuff to yourself and sewing circle.

bounty37h
02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
I had to go and read it. MEDIA! Not like I know Gomes..... but this is nothing. The media has NOTHING to write about but the NFL CBA right now. The Reds should screen the reporters a little closer now. Maybe not.

If this crap fires the Reds up for ST games, I'm all for it. It's not like Gomes said he wanted him dead or thought ill will towards his children and then wanted Chris to explain it to his son.

Did this report offend any Reds fans? Does anyone think less of Gomes as a person now? Are Reds fans happy we may not have to bat against Wainwright now? Can Carpenters' kid get over this ...... once it's explained to him?

We're REDS FANS! It's good to know a few players on the Cincinnati club are fans, too.

Go Jonny!

Can I get a witness!! Testify brother!

Cuban_Missile
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
As much as you all say cheering for someone to get hurt is wrong. It is but we didn't cheer for him to get hurt like rooting for a broken leg we did a mild happy dance after he hurt himself. And no one did it in public it just got leaked I am sure other guys in the locker room threw a couple fist bumps or high fives about it. It is just sports its how we acted when we knew guys wouldn't play in high school and that mentality just carries to the big leagues....big whoop it fires them up for when they play the Cardinals!

Old NDN
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Hal is like most HOF players who stayed too long in the game. Time for him to go to into permanent retirement..... or write for one of the gossip mags. He should have gone to Gomes to clarify what he THOUGHT he heard before posting it. Sorry for Wainwright, but glad the Reds may not be facing him.

PhillipsHead
02-24-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm with Jonny and Brandon....the Cards can suck it...

brm7675
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM

Go Jonny!

IF Gomes did sing what McCoy is saying he did, then yes, I would like nothing better then to see Gomes gone. Class means something to me and should to everyone. As for printing it, Players know who is and isn't in the room and every player knows that reporters report. If what McCoy wrote is wrong then he shouldn't be permitted back into the Reds clubhouse ever.

DirtyBaker
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
IF Gomes did sing what McCoy is saying he did, then yes, I would like nothing better then to see Gomes gone. Class means something to me and should to everyone. As for printing it, Players know who is and isn't in the room and every player knows that reporters report. If what McCoy wrote is wrong then he shouldn't be permitted back into the Reds clubhouse ever.

Wainwright hurt himself in a bullpen session. Gomes didn't cause the injury, and if he celebrates it in the privacy of a Reds locker room, who cares? He didn't tweet it. He didn't hold a presser, guitar in hand, and claim 'you gotta get a load of this song!'

If Gomes gets hit by a pitch because of this, Hal McCoy better stand in front of an Aroldis Chapman fast ball in order to be initiated back to the team training facilities. Reporting that was almost as low as the guy who took a picture of Michael Phelps smoking weed and made it public.

ol'Sparky
02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
a bush league, stupid move on gomes' part .. shut up and figure out how to NOT be a liability in left field

brm7675
02-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Wainwright hurt himself in a bullpen session. Gomes didn't cause the injury, and if he celebrates it in the privacy of a Reds locker room, who cares? He didn't tweet it. He didn't hold a presser, guitar in hand, and claim 'you gotta get a load of this song!'

If Gomes gets hit by a pitch because of this, Hal McCoy better stand in front of an Aroldis Chapman fast ball in order to be initiated back to the team training facilities. Reporting that was almost as low as the guy who took a picture of Michael Phelps smoking weed and made it public.

"Privacy" of the Reds locker room? Your kidding right? you can BANK on Gomes taking one to the back....BANK on it.

If you are in the "team" locker room with "reporters" standing around then either you keep your mouth SHUT....or live with what you say.

bshall2105
02-24-2011, 01:31 PM
I didn't sing but I'll be honest and say I wasn't sad about hearing the news. The Reds chances of winning the division improved big time yesterday.

DocRed
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm predicting Gomes will miss the first Cards series with "back spasms" or something like that...

Grouse
02-24-2011, 01:51 PM
If Molina is going to mouth off to Gomes he better leave his facemask on. Thats not Brandon Phillips up there. If they want to peg him, I say Peg him. Its not going to hurt him, and he'll get on base for once.

Reverend Doo-Rag
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I hope the players blackball McCoy for his new angle at trying to be a shock reporter. Hal might be tempted to report every fart, burp, and cuss-word.

New York Red
02-24-2011, 02:46 PM
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/23/reds-outfielder-jonny-gomes-celebrated-news-of-adam-wainwrights-elbow-injury

$10 says he's hit in the ribs in his first at bat against the Cardinals.
We won't have to wait long to find out. :thumbup:

Stray
02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
I read Hal's post earlier and he gave an ass-backwards apology. He said 'maybe' his 70 year old ears failed him even though 'others' heard it too. What the heck is that anyway? Either apologize that you were wrong or stand by what you wrote and who exactly are these others that heard it? I've yet to hear or read anyone else with the same story as Hal's.

It seems like he's wanting to stir the pot for his blog....I know he's been around forever, but that is what it looks like. Gomes doesn't have a history of things like this, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

New York Red
02-24-2011, 02:59 PM
If Molina is going to mouth off to Gomes he better leave his facemask on. Thats not Brandon Phillips up there. If they want to peg him, I say Peg him. Its not going to hurt him, and he'll get on base for once.
I'm positive Gomes will get plunked - maybe even more than once. But when did it become a crime to be happy about not having to face one of the top pitchers in the game? A division rival you'd have to face multiple times throughout the season? I don't see anyone saying "Yay, Wainwright suffered a serious injury!". What I see is someone saying, "Thank goodness we won't have to face that guy this year!", and there is a big, big difference in those two statements.

OfficerRodFarva
02-24-2011, 05:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6154707&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

McCoy expressed his regrets over the incident to ESPN.com.

"I just thought it was something humorous," McCoy said by phone. "I regret using it, but I thought it was a cute throwaway thing and I didn't think it would create this kind of furor. I love Jonny Gomes. He's one of my favorite people, and I'm sorry he has to be dealing with this. I didn't sleep last night."

wlf WV
02-24-2011, 06:49 PM
What told more about McCoy's blog was his inference of Baker's insincerity.Say what you mean Hal or shut up alluding to things unsaid,everyone has their own opinions.It is why I read forums.

goreds2
02-24-2011, 09:05 PM
God bless Mr. Gomes. :beerme: He is just an emotional guy. I am sure a few players were thinking what he was saying.

Hey Meat
02-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry, I must admit that not only did I sing a song, I danced too. I wish injuries upon no one, but come on this is the Cardinals.

bounty37h
02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2011/news/story?id=6154707&campaign=rss&source=MLBHeadlines

"I just thought it was something humorous," McCoy said by phone. "I regret using it, but I thought it was a cute throwaway thing and I didn't think it would create this kind of furor. I love Jonny Gomes. He's one of my favorite people, and I'm sorry he has to be dealing with this. I didn't sleep last night."

Thats nice and all, but would be better if you announced your retirement instead of a useless, phony apology. Take your tabloid material to the Globe.

Old NDN
02-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Didn't sleep well? If I were you, I'd be afraid Gomes would be coming through my door at any time! Good luck on dealing with him all season.

bounty37h
02-25-2011, 11:40 AM
Didn't sleep well? If I were you, I'd be afraid Gomes would be coming through my door at any time! Good luck on dealing with him all season.

No kidding, I hate to say, I wouldnt blame Gomes if he returned the favor for every bruise he ends up getting for this.

AintlifeGrande
02-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Is it just me,or is Hal Mccoy seem to be on the fringe of tabloid reporter.He leaked the Philips story,and now he's trying to hype the Gomes thing up.Seems to me the small talk should stay in the clubhouse.It just breeds trouble.

malcontent
02-26-2011, 03:53 PM

I don't doubt McCoy thought it was a "cute throwaway thing". He's made a career out of consistently lame attempts at humor. I can remember hating to read his DDN columns 40 years ago.

Clueless players like Gomes and Phillips (baseball's Ocho???) will always provide this kind of material for the writers. It's up to the writers to use discretion. At least I don't think Gomes considers it "marketing".

Swampturkey
02-26-2011, 04:32 PM
For what it's worth, I'm a Cardinals fan and I don't hold anything against Gomes. When I first read the article that made it seem like he was celebrating the injury, I put him on the same list as Cueto and Phillips (yes, I'm not going to lie and say that I don't dispise those two. Just as I know reds fans hate Carpenter/Molina amongst others, Cueto and Phillips are public enemy #1 and #2 here). Then when he started to back track, I thought it was just to get himself out of trouble and to avoid retaliation by the Cardinals during the season.

But he didn't give up and promised to call Wainwright personally with an apology for what happened. Then LaRussa, who won't hide his feelings about ANYONE he feels wronged his club, defended Gomes on the local radio saying he knows him and knows Gomes is not the type to celebrate an injury, etc. Berkman also defended Gomes.

That was enough for me. I'm willing to believe that it was all just a misunderstanding. At least I hope it was.

malcontent
02-26-2011, 06:09 PM
For what it's worth, I'm a Cardinals fan and I don't hold anything against Gomes. When I first read the article that made it seem like he was celebrating the injury, I put him on the same list as Cueto and Phillips (yes, I'm not going to lie and say that I don't dispise those two. Just as I know reds fans hate Carpenter/Molina amongst others, Cueto and Phillips are public enemy #1 and #2 here).

I for one have nothing against Molina. Most of us here feel the same way about (don't care for) Carpenter, but I don't see how else Molina was expected to react to Phillips' repeated shin-plate tapping. If you've got problems with Carpenter and one or two other Cards, you don't make the mistake of calling the whole team out, like Phillips did (and then refusing to admit your screw-up).

Seriously, Jocketty and Baker should have stepped up and made him retract his comments. That might have prevented what followed. I would hope they actually had a talk with Gomes this time.

Kingspoint
02-26-2011, 08:59 PM
Is it just me,or is Hal Mccoy seem to be on the fringe of tabloid reporter.He leaked the Philips story,and now he's trying to hype the Gomes thing up.Seems to me the small talk should stay in the clubhouse.It just breeds trouble.

Hal McCoy has been senile for several years now.

Swampturkey
02-28-2011, 08:36 PM
Seriously, Jocketty and Baker should have stepped up and made him retract his comments. That might have prevented what followed. I would hope they actually had a talk with Gomes this time.

I honestly wouldn't even be surprised if Rolen said something to him about it. Rolen and Wainwright are friends and Rolen is one of the classiest baseball, IMO (as is Wainwright). If Gomes had meant was was written in the paper that he supposidly said, I don't think Rolen would have takenn that well. Jocketty either, especially since Jocketty knows Wainwright very well since he's the one who traded for him while with the Cards.

Altsciguy
03-01-2011, 05:01 PM
ok Jonny, but now it is time to ratchet it up and start busting. If jonny is singing because he is hoping he can be a bit lazier and still win.......well nope it does not work that way.

Altsciguy
03-01-2011, 05:11 PM
I guess I am with Gomes on being happy about a lucky break for us, but that is not an excuse to start thinking you have it made. Many "lucky breaks" have come around to bite people on the arse. The Cards will still be coming strong. THAT is why it is worth playing. I am looking forward to some great high energy intense competition again this year. There is a difference between competitive respect and being friends.

bounty37h
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
ok Jonny, but now it is time to ratchet it up and start busting. If jonny is singing because he is hoping he can be a bit lazier and still win.......well nope it does not work that way.

"Jonny" sings? He may not be a great player, but he is not lazy. And if you are going to criticize him, at least learn how to spell Johnny.

signalhome
03-02-2011, 09:48 AM
"Jonny" sings? He may not be a great player, but he is not lazy. And if you are going to criticize him, at least learn how to spell Johnny.

Agree on him not being a great player but also not being lazy.

However, it is Jonny. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5860

texasdave
03-02-2011, 11:04 AM
And just to make things a little more confusing - Jhonny Peralta.

bounty37h
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Agree on him not being a great player but also not being lazy.

However, it is Jonny. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=5860

:bang::bang::bash: Argh, I knew that, and questioned myself after I hit enter earlier. Running on 6 hours of sleep since Saturday....
My apologies to the poster!

Altsciguy
03-02-2011, 05:05 PM
I like Jonny. Last winter I was yelling "sign him sign him sign him" as we got closer and closer to spring training. I had season tickets in left field bleachers (sec 403 last year) and I saw him first hand maybe not dog-in' it but not getting the jump or the hussle that Heisey and Stubbs were showing. Another time he tried to hussle in on one that I knew he was not going to get to, and may have been wiser to let bounce and get the throw off of, but he missed and it rolled almost to the wall. He was left sitting on the ground as runners advanced around the bases. He is a good player, he is wonderful great with fans and when he is on he IS on. I have watched him when he was fired up and competing and I have watched him as he was just playing. All I am saying is that I do not want Jonny, or any other Red for that matter, thinking they can relax at all based on injuries or poor luck of our opponents. Like being bitten by the "dead" snake or once you have your foot on his throat lean forward and keep him there, not back and risk letting him slip away. It is not that I think Jonny is lazy as much as I do not want him or anyone else thinking they can relax or that the road is now easy because of Wainwright's injury.