PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Reds fans

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Your team won the division today. I guess the only thing I have to look forward to is watching Albert in his last year as a Cardinal.

Maybe the Mayans were right, the world might end in 2012. This is probably the beginning of the end.

cincrazy
02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Your team won the division today. I guess the only thing I have to look forward to is watching Albert in his last year as a Cardinal.

Maybe the Mayans were right, the world might end in 2012. This is probably the beginning of the end.

Nice try, trying to jinx us :thumbup:.

This is certainly a blow to St. Louis. But there's a reason they've ruled this division for almost a decade: they're great at coming up with solutions. I expect them to suffer this year, but if they won 92 games and the division, I wouldn't be absolutely stunned.

With all due respect, Milwaukee scared me more than St. Louis this year anyways. I think the Brewers are better than both teams on paper... how that translates to the field, we'll see.

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
That is true cincrazy, St. Louis has had a tradition of making guys like Kent Bottenfield world beaters. I just think with Waino gone, you can just strike down at least 10 games from our record this year. It is too much of an important injury to overcome.

membengal
02-23-2011, 09:09 PM
Sucks for St. Louis for certain, but there is no way they are out of it as long as Carpenter and Pujols are healthy. Even without Wainwright. And the Brewers and Cubs are not going anywhere either.

TheNext44
02-23-2011, 09:13 PM
All I know is that I have lost lots of bets, betting against the Cardinals in the last 15 years.

nemesis
02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
So as it stands now what does St Louis rotation situation look like?

Carpenter
Garcia
Westbrook
Loshe
Snell/Hawksworth?

I would guess that the Batting Order will be close to:

SS Theriot
2B Schumaker
1B Sir Albert
LF Holiday
RF Berkman
CF Rasmus
C Molina
3B ????

With Jay as the top PH option and Ryan as a Defensive sub?

wheels
02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Freaking Cardinals will once again defy, more like prove that they ARE Baseball Deities, winning the division by a comfortable margin.

They are the definition of impervious. Always have been.

BCubb2003
02-23-2011, 09:31 PM
The Cardinals were pervious last year, and might be again.

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 09:56 PM
So as it stands now what does St Louis rotation situation look like?

Carpenter
Garcia
Westbrook
Loshe
Snell/Hawksworth?

I would guess that the Batting Order will be close to:

SS Theriot
2B Schumaker
1B Sir Albert
LF Holiday
RF Berkman
CF Rasmus
C Molina
3B ????

With Jay as the top PH option and Ryan as a Defensive sub?

Hawksworth is in LA and Ryan is in Seattle. 3B will be Freese who had a promising rookie season until he was injured. To me, he is the key to the lineup being effective. Another unheralded move is getting Nick Punto who is an excellent defender. Though he has a sports hernia now, he will be key through out the season.

Still, it is going to be tough without Waino. In any given day, you expected him to throw a no hitter. That is how dominant he has been. I think he has the lowest ERA in baseball since 2007. I just do not see how the Cards can win this year without him. Who knows though, maybe Ian Snell is a Dave Duncan special. Doubt it though.

Joseph
02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Hey Mike, don't forget, you guys are the Cardinals, the bar by which the rest of the division is typically compared. Its hard not to be down right now, but don't count yourself out of it yet.

MikeThierry
02-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Hey Mike, don't forget, you guys are the Cardinals, the bar by which the rest of the division is typically compared. Its hard not to be down right now, but don't count yourself out of it yet.

Well, I guess the one thing I have to look forward to is watching Albert play in his last season as a Cardinal. I swear, this is going to be the worst year in St. Louis sports in a while. A lockout in the NFL when the Rams are starting to turn around, the St. Louis Blues having a butt load of injuries and missing the playoffs again, the Cardinals failing to make the playoffs, Albert Pujols leaving.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic. Maybe I should follow this advice from Animal House:

"Our season is over ? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no! "

Ghosts of 1990
02-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Cards still have two nice RHP in the farm system close to big league ready. They'll be alright.

Blitz Dorsey
02-24-2011, 12:05 AM
Unless Grienke was also injured today, this doesn't affect the race all that much.

Just kidding. There is no question the Cards were going to be contenders and this is a huge blow. I'm still not completely counting you guys out, but it's going to be tough-sledding without Wainwright. My prediction for the division is as such:

1. Reds 89-73
2. Brewers 88-74
3. Cardinals 81-81
4. Cubs 78-84
5. Astros 69-93
6. Pirates 64-98

MattyHo4Life
02-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Well, I guess the one thing I have to look forward to is watching Albert play in his last season as a Cardinal. I swear, this is going to be the worst year in St. Louis sports in a while. A lockout in the NFL when the Rams are starting to turn around, the St. Louis Blues having a butt load of injuries and missing the playoffs again, the Cardinals failing to make the playoffs, Albert Pujols leaving.

Albert's last season in St. Louis will likely be in 8-10 years. lol

Maybe I'm too pessimistic

Yes you are! lol

Quatitos
02-24-2011, 01:00 AM
Albert's last season in St. Louis will likely be in 8-10 years. lol

The 1 year contract to retire as a Cardinal ;)

MattyHo4Life
02-24-2011, 01:25 AM
The 1 year contract to retire as a Cardinal ;)

LoL... nice one! :cool:

Matt700wlw
02-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Never rule the Cardinals out. Dave Duncan has a way of turning crap into gold, and LaRussa has a way to re-invent the game yet again, to create wins.

With that, Go Reds!

RANDY IN INDY
02-24-2011, 07:47 AM
Losing a player like Wainright, your ace, makes losing anyone else to injury through the long season very hard to overcome. The Cardinals have little margin for any other injuries now. If they stay healthy, they still can be a force in the Central.

redsmetz
02-24-2011, 08:25 AM

I have to concur with others here, that while Wainwright going down is devastating to the Cards' season, we Reds fans have learned long ago to never count LaRussa & Duncan out. And that's without even having to worry about others in the division as well (Cubs, Brewers). It's a long season and anything can happen. We still have to do it on the field over six long months.

GoReds
02-24-2011, 08:28 AM
That's why they play the games. Wainwright's injury will not be the last important injury to occur within the division, to be sure. There are still 162 games to play and this thread *could* look very silly in October.

MikeThierry
02-24-2011, 10:59 PM
I guess that the thing the Cards do have for them is LaRussa seems to be at his best when his teams backs are against the wall. 1996 they weren't expected to do anything and they were a game away from going to the WS. 2002 was possibly his best managing job of his career. We used 14 different starting pitchers that year and lost our true ace, Kile, because he died in his sleep. In 2006, there were news papers claiming the Tigers were going to sweep the Cardinals in 3 games. That team really had no business winning the world series. Yet they win probably the most epic game I have ever seen in game 7 of the NLCS against the Mets and destroy the Tigers in the WS.