PDA

View Full Version : Refresher on conduct

Brutus
02-24-2011, 03:01 AM
...the type we can all tell our sons about.

I was reading around some past articles on the 'unwritten rules' of baseball. I came across this gem from a board favorite, written shortly after the A-Rod mound incident:

Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter, who was hit on the left wrist by D-backs starter Edwin Jackson, hadn't been upset by being hit, but by the target catcher Chris Snyder had given the Arizona right-hander.

"I watched the replay, and the catcher was setting his glove up high,'' Carpenter said after the game. "I know he didn't try to hit me, but don't put your glove up there. Throw the ball down and away. Anytime you throw the ball up there like that, it's unacceptable.''

D-backs manager A.J. Hinch -- a former big-league catcher -- almost hyperventilated over that one.

"You can't throw a tight fastball to a pitcher? Where did that one come from?" Hinch said a few days later.

The full article: http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100427&content_id=9606152&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Thanks, Chris. And be sure to tell your son that you are the biggest whiner in baseball.

Honestly, I've seen a lot and somehow I missed that one. Was this ever posted here last summer? I don't remember reading that quote.

TheNext44
02-24-2011, 03:42 AM
Maybe he thought he was playing in 1867-1887. :)

2. Batters Could Call For The Type Of Pitch They Wanted
From 1867-1887, batters had the privilege of calling for a low pitch or a high pitch.

Redsfan320
02-24-2011, 09:36 AM
How will he Chris Carpenter explain that to his son? :eek:

jojo
02-24-2011, 09:50 AM
I get the Cardinals are evil and Carpenter is secretly trying to take over the world so that he can make sure the children of Cincinnati only get stale peeps in their easter baskets but Carpenter has a wOBA roughly equivalent to the average July temperature in northern kentucky.

This is an honest question. What strategic benefit is there to setting up high and tight to him? Best case scenario, your pitcher has just wasted a pitch because it's not like Carpenter has been leaning over the plate and driving balls on the black. Worst case scenario you just put an automatic out on first base.

CarolinaRedleg
02-24-2011, 09:58 AM
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn57/tplester119/carpenterwaaaaa.jpg

kpresidente
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I get the Cardinals are evil and Carpenter is secretly trying to take over the world so that he can make sure the children of Cincinnati only get stale peeps in their easter baskets but Carpenter has a wOBA roughly equivalent to the average July temperature in northern kentucky.

Regardless, that wOBA would be higher if pitchers just packed it in every time he stepped to the plate. According to that logic, they should just throw it down the pipe ever time. I say you still gotta pitch.

Brutus
02-24-2011, 01:54 PM
Regardless, that wOBA would be higher if pitchers just packed it in every time he stepped to the plate. According to that logic, they should just throw it down the pipe ever time. I say you still gotta pitch.

Yeah I don't get it... still doesn't explain why it's wrong to frame a target high & tight.

Patrick Bateman
02-24-2011, 02:00 PM

This is an honest question. What strategic benefit is there to setting up high and tight to him? Best case scenario, your pitcher has just wasted a pitch because it's not like Carpenter has been leaning over the plate and driving balls on the black. Worst case scenario you just put an automatic out on first base.

Unpredictability.
Even pitchers, if they have some idea of what is coming will have a better chance to get a hit.
You make him think about a pitch coming up and in, and I'm guessing Carp is going to be a little gunshy up there and make his chances, albeit slim to begin with, decrease.

Unassisted
02-24-2011, 02:02 PM
If Carpenter throws any pitches high and tight this season, it sounds like he'll be OK with the batter charging the mound.

"Actually, son, he was perfectly justified in charging the mound against me today. I pitched him high and tight and I had it coming. I got these bruises and this shiner fair and square. Anytime I throw the ball up there like that, it's unacceptable."

:D

jojo
02-24-2011, 02:31 PM
Unpredictability.
Even pitchers, if they have some idea of what is coming will have a better chance to get a hit.
You make him think about a pitch coming up and in, and I'm guessing Carp is going to be a little gunshy up there and make his chances, albeit slim to begin with, decrease.

Jeeps though. Just change speeds on the guy.

bucksfan2
02-24-2011, 02:33 PM

Sure. But the issue becomes if you only pitch him on the outer half of the plate that shrinks the strike zone. He is able to lean over the plate and attack the outer 3rd of the plate. If a batter did this to Carpenter when he was on the mound you would see him throw it inside or under the hands. If he doesn't want to hit then stand on the outer edge of the box and swing through 3 straight pitches and go back to the dugout.

Brutus
02-24-2011, 02:51 PM

Why is it not OK to also change location and eye level against a pitcher?

jojo
02-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Why is it not OK to also change location and eye level against a pitcher?

Because the risk of hitting the guy and putting him on base is greater than the reward of making him respect the inside corner of the plate given a guy like Carpenter largely is an automatic out regardless.

Brutus
02-24-2011, 03:02 PM
Because the risk of hitting the guy and putting him on base is greater than the reward of making him respect the inside corner of the plate given a guy like Carpenter largely is an automatic out regardless.

I realized you were talking strategy. That makes a little more sense. I thought you were saying it was bush league to go high & tight against a pitcher, but you're arguing for the logic behind it rather than the ethics.

Well, I see your point, but I still think you have to keep pitchers honest too. You can't let any pitcher know you won't be coming inside on them. Even changing speeds and eye level, that takes too much of the plate away.

TheNext44
02-24-2011, 03:06 PM

Maybe Carpenter has been so unproductive as a hitter because pitchers throw high and tight to him every now and then.

bucksfan2
02-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't know why any pitcher in the game wouldn't throw one high and tight to Carpenter. Apparently he doesn't like it and it may frustrate him.

edabbs44
02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
I don't know why any pitcher in the game wouldn't throw one high and tight to Carpenter. Apparently he doesn't like it and it may frustrate him.

Which may or may not carry over to the mound.

jojo
02-24-2011, 06:02 PM

He was pitching in Arizona that night and went 7 innings while striking out ten Dbacks....

SirFelixCat
02-24-2011, 06:04 PM

Bingo.

jojo
02-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Maybe Carpenter has been so unproductive as a hitter because pitchers throw high and tight to him every now and then.

You really think the secret to getting Chris Carpenter out is to throw him high and tight?

jojo
02-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Bingo.

It didn't seem to work that night.

edabbs44
02-24-2011, 08:32 PM
He was pitching in Arizona that night and went 7 innings while striking out ten Dbacks....

If it was foolproof, the guy would be head to toe bruises. Maybe Zona thought it was their only chance.

WebScorpion
02-24-2011, 09:29 PM
You really think the secret to getting Chris Carpenter out is to throw him high and tight?
No, but the secret may be to plunk him in his ribs so it hurts every time he throws... http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-cool05.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

wheels
02-27-2011, 04:50 PM
This might be one of the most pointless two page threads in Redszone history.

To quote raisor "just sayin'".