PDA

View Full Version : How do you pick which games to go to..

brm7675
02-24-2011, 12:44 PM
For those who are not season ticket holders, I was wondering on average how many games do you go to each season, on average how far of a trip is it for you and which games do you decide to go to? I live in indy and I am hoping to get to at least 3-4 games this year. Plan on going to the votto bobblehead game, the Sparky game and 1 Yankee game...not sure if I will get to many others due to travel and costs...especially if gas continues to spike up....:thumbup:

redsfan_12
02-24-2011, 01:04 PM
I live in Huntington, and last year I went to 12 games. Most of the time I would get 2 for 1. Go up on Saturday, stay at the Netherland Hilton, and leave after the game Sunday. Never really went for any special reason. Other than a couple day games in April/May because I didnt have class, the HOF weekend against COL, and Strasburg. Throw in a couple Cardinals, Marlins, and Padres games, plus the playoff game. We were 6-6 in games I attended last year lol

ol'Sparky
02-24-2011, 01:21 PM
I always go to the games that i want to see, i've been doing this for years now !!:shocked:

DirtyBaker
02-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I weigh in a lot of factors, and only a few of them I know in advance.

Promotions: fireworks night, bobblehead night, cheap seat days, dollar dogs, and stuff like that.

Team matchup. It just seems like a bigger game if you're playing a division leader, so this year Brewers and Cardinals games will be big ones.

Pitching matchup. When I saw that Tom Glavine would be facing Volquez in May '08 I knew that was going to be a good one.

Debuts. I wanted to see the Chapman debut badly but I wasn't able to make it. I got to see Volquez get a W in his 2010 debut in July against the Rockies though.

Weather. Living in Columbus I don't get to go to a ton of games, and when I go I want to ensure I'm going get at least 9 innings of baseball in.

Grouse
02-24-2011, 02:10 PM
I go to 5-6 games a year, from the Buckeye Lake area. One thing I did last year{that I will never do again} is go to a late July day game. Way to hot. It was the only time in my life I didn't enjoy a Reds game. Win or Lose.

Captain13
02-24-2011, 02:20 PM
I live just outside of Louisville and try to get to 8-10 games a year (usually make about 5). It takes me about about 1:35 from driveway to seat. I try to plan one around my dad's birthday (May 30) and I plan at least two Saturday night games. The rest of the games I go to are planned a week in advance or less. I've been known to ask my wife at 5:00 "You wanna catch a game?" and she doesnt' know until we get on I-71 if we are going to a Bats game or a Reds game.

HoosierRedsFan
02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
I go to about 5 games a year. I generally choose which games I go to based on the opponent (great pitching matchup/division leader). I also do a first home weekend game in April as I am excited to see a game and anxious to get to the ballpark. This year I'll be there April 3rd as I want to bring the dog for Bark in the Park.

bounty37h
02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Easy, opening day or bobblehead or anything else given away only.
Nah, seriously, I would say dates play a role (if it is a bday trip, etc), next would be team playing-maybe if a friend wanted to see them or there was a player I wanted to see from another team. I would love to see what they do for Sparky night this year to honor him, so that would make my list if I was picking Cincy game road trips. I avoid ballparks on kids days is my main rule of when not to go to a game.

gedred69
02-24-2011, 05:43 PM
There's no such thing as a bad day at the ballpark. They're all good.......

HitByPitch
02-24-2011, 05:51 PM

Agreed...The worst day at the ball park is better than the best day at work.

Nathan
02-24-2011, 06:12 PM

AMEN! Any random night will do. (Not much on 100 degree afternoon games though sense I burn super fast being a Red head.)

mlh1981
02-24-2011, 07:11 PM
I decide the day of.

I don't have much money, and I live 2.5 hours away. I simply cannot stomach the idea of going down to the park, and having the game rained out, as there are only a few opportunities a year for me to make the trip.

stripedwarrior
02-25-2011, 12:49 PM
This year, whatever days we get back from the "Straight A" promotion that the kids brought home from school. Wouldn't you know it, 2 kids earned it. They had different dates on their forms. Thought I was going to bring myself and 3 kids to 1 game for free, now the 4 of us are going to 2 games. Not to bad of a deal. 2 free tickets, and additional tickets are $7.50.

nmculbreth
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I live in the Cincy area so it's usually based on what the rest of my schedule looks like and the weather, so usually it's a last minute decision.

brm7675
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Well just bought my tix for the Sparky give away game in May....can't wait till that day.

Cuban_Missile
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I print out the entire home schedule at two times the size close my eyes and throw about 15 darts and go to those games. Just make sure your girlfriend isnt in the room because now I am dating Patchy Patty.

But in all seriousness any game is a fun game at GABP and I try to go to at least 15 games a year.

redsfan_12
02-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Agreed...The worst day at the ball park is better than the best day at work.

great quote :thumbup:

Redlegs_87
02-26-2011, 09:35 PM
I have gone to 1 game each of the last 2 years. Both in september for my birthday. Plan on going to at least 3 games this season. It's about a hour and half drive. I will most likely chose by match up, starting pitchers, and promotions.

webbbj
02-26-2011, 11:59 PM
I can go to any game really, it only takes 20 minutes for me to get there. But my favorite games are the weekday afternoon games and the Sunday day games.

RadfordVA
02-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Live 6 hours away so the trips pretty much need to be weekend getaways to make the travel worth it. Try to make about 3 per year. Like to go once early in season with just me and the lady. Get a chance to enjoy some nightlife and relax. Have 2 sons(6&7) so we plan the second trip for their last day of school. The last few years its worked out they were at home that weekend. They cant wait for that reward every year. The last game we just try to pick the best opponent near the end of the season to get our last fix in before winter. Last season it worked out it was the playoff game which was awesome( not the result of course.) This year the first game we attend will be opening day which will be our first.

I would love to live in a MLB city and attend more. Have had a blast every game we have been to and it makes such a huge difference seeing everything in person.

lonewolf371
02-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I can go to any game really, it only takes 20 minutes for me to get there. But my favorite games are the weekday afternoon games and the Sunday day games.
Going to the Cards game on Sunday this year. My girlfriend bought the tickets for me and I can't wait!

justincredible
02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
I live 5 miles away from GABP so I pick games based on what I've got going on that particular night. I bought a 20 game weekend package this season so I'll sprinkle in 15-20 weekday and other weekend games throughout the season, most of which will be a last second decision.

Redlegs20
02-27-2011, 08:19 PM
I pick special games to take my sons, we had done Barry Larkin's HOF induction, Joe Nuxhall Night and the past two Civil Rights games. The past CRG was special in that the best four National League players of my boyhood, Frank Robinson, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron and Ernie Banks were present. We spent the night in town and went to the game the next day, both were wins against the Cards. The Saturday game had Shumaker nailed at the plate to win the game, it doesn't get any better than that.

OGB
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I've gone to around 10-15 games each of the past few seasons. I'd go to more, but I work evenings and weekends.

This year I'm going to try to go to 20.

Also, I recently began planning a trip to Chicago for Lollapalooza this summer, and was elated to find out that the Reds are going to be in town for 3 games that weekend. I may end up trying to go to 2 games while there. I've been in Wrigleyville several times, but this would be my first time going to a game at Wrigley Field.

bounty37h
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Wow, I didnt think they did Lollapalooza anymore?

OGB
03-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Wow, I didnt think they did Lollapalooza anymore?

For the past couple of years they have adopted the same format as large festivals like Bonnaroo. I think the days of the traveling music festival are long gone. It's held in Grant Park in Chicago every summer now.

Cubs games starting so early in the day are perfect for this, too. I can hit up a ball game and then head across town and watch some of my favorite bands for the next 7 hours.

bounty37h
03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
For the past couple of years they have adopted the same format as large festivals like Bonnaroo. I think the days of the traveling music festival are long gone. It's held in Grant Park in Chicago every summer now.

Cubs games starting so early in the day are perfect for this, too. I can hit up a ball game and then head across town and watch some of my favorite bands for the next 7 hours.

Thats cool, last I had checked they had cut the tour, but good to knwo they have a festival instead of travel now. I use to love the Lollopalooza tour, but know how hard the logistics were to get it off the ground and moving all summer. Enjoy it!

Carolina Red
03-04-2011, 05:49 PM
I live in central NC so it's about an 8 hour drive for me. I try to get up there at least once a year, twice if I'm lucky. I try to catch a weekend series; I can leave the Sunday game and be home around midnight. I took a group of guys from work last September.......we had bought our tix (great seats behind the visitors dugout) a couple of months in advance. It was later announced that Pete Rose was going to be honored at one of the games that weekend. All that and Joey Votto capped it off with a walkoff homerun. Two of the guys had never been to a Major League game and they had a blast.

As far as picking teams to see, the only thing I won't do is go back when the Cubs are in town. They usually have more fans there than the Reds and they are all obnoxious asses who don't even understand baseball. Very bad experience.