PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News Picks the Reds to Finish...

HalMorrisRules
02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
First!

Sporting News prediction: The Reds will repeat as NL Central champions and make back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time since the 1975-76 seasons.

Reds Preview (http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/feed/2011-01/mlb-2011/story/cincinnati-reds-preview)

KYExtemper
02-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Not surprising considering the young talent on this team, which is only going to get better with time. We just don't need any injuries to derail us. Good read and thanks for the link.

Grounds_Crew
02-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I just read that this morning! Opening Day can't get here soon enough!

OGB
02-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Given the wealth of young talent and overall depth among the top 40 or so players in this organization, I'm not sure why more pundits aren't reviewing the Reds similarly.
How many other teams have 3 guys starting the year in AAA (in all likelihood, that is) that made the big league contributions that Leake, Maloney, and Lecure did last year?

Also, beyond the 5 that seem locks to make the bullpen (Cordero, Masset, Chapman, Bray, Ondrusek) the Reds have an abundance of quality arms, many of whom have prior big league success (Jordan Smith, Arredondo, Willis, Herrera, Fischer, Burton, Del Rosario, Joseph)

Kingspoint
02-28-2011, 08:19 PM
It's the REDS' Division to lose, both literally (we are the defending National League Central Champions) and figuratively (we are the most talented team).

We're next to last in the Division in payroll expense, just ahead of the Pirates.

lidspinner
03-01-2011, 02:51 PM
It's the REDS' Division to lose, both literally (we are the defending National League Central Champions) and figuratively (we are the most talented team).

We're next to last in the Division in payroll expense, just ahead of the Pirates.

which is more the reason for the outsider looking in to be a fan of ours

KYExtemper
03-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Anyone think that people are overlooking Houston's chances in this division? They have some good young talent on that club.

JeremiahHorsley
03-02-2011, 01:07 AM
The Reds chances are even higher than ever now after first Wainwright and now Carpenter pulling a hammy, And I think I read that Greinke is battling some kind of bruise, i dont know the seriousness of them but i know hammy injuries can stick around for a while. I'm loving the way our team is looking and cant wait for the season to start. Our number one need is to.... STAY HEALTHY!

Drugs Delaney
03-02-2011, 03:15 AM
Anyone think that people are overlooking Houston's chances in this division? They have some good young talent on that club.

I was thinking that as well. They have just as good a chance as Chicago (if not better) but they don't get mentioned nearly as much.

Their young pitchers like Wandy and JA Happ finished strong and Brett Myers is pretty good.

They'd need to have a turn back the clock season from Carlos Lee and a young hitter or two step up. Not likely, but crazier things have happened. These guys did go 33-27 after the trade deadline last year.