PDA

View Full Version : A Cardinals Fan's 2011 Outlook

ABEsolutely
03-01-2011, 09:26 AM
What is Yahoo doing when they allow opinion pieces on their front sports page? Ugh.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ycn-7941300

The Cincinnati Reds made a late surge to doom the St. Louis Cardinals from making the playoffs in 2010. Not so this year. Even with a season-ending injury to ace pitcher Adam Wainwright, the Cardinals can still be a force to be reckoned with. I've been a Cardinals' fan my whole life growing up near St. Louis. This year will be one to remember despite the injury and talk of the best player in baseball possibly leaving after the 2011 season.

(continued...)

texasdave
03-01-2011, 09:35 AM
This is my favorite paragraph:

The Reds simply got lucky last year. They couldn't even make it out of the NLDS when they were swept by Philadelphia in three games. The Cardinals had a huge lead at the All Star break in 2010—that kind of implosion won't happen in 2011.

Yes the Reds couldn't make it OUT of the NLDS, but the Cards couldn't even make it IN to the NLDS.
Also, the Cardinals were in second place at the All-Star break.

But, all in all, not a bad effort for a fifth-grader.

runningman
03-01-2011, 10:02 AM
This is my favorite paragraph:

Yes the Reds couldn't make it OUT of the NLDS, but the Cards couldn't even make it IN to the NLDS.
Also, the Cardinals were in second place at the All-Star break.

But, all in all, not a bad effort for a fifth-grader.

Reds had a 1 game lead over the cardinal on July 13 2010.

KYExtemper
03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Is that writer on crack? Maybe the Cards could've contended for a division title last year if they weren't dropping games left and right to the Pirates and the Brewers.

Swampturkey
03-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Is that writer on crack? Maybe the Cards could've contended for a division title last year if they weren't dropping games left and right to the Pirates and the Brewers.

The Cardinals contended for the division title last year, they just didn't win it, for the reason you pointed out. They couldn't beat the bad teams. No problems vs. the good teams. It was all the sucky teams.

Before Wainwright went down, I expected the Cardinals to be better than last year. Now without Wainwright, I'm just hopeful they stay in contention to make it interesting. Wainwright is one of the top pitchers in baseball and his being out all season is a huge loss. No denying that.

Stray
03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
I think the Cards will be better than people expect, and I think they'll hang around in the division race into July. After that I think Wainwright's injury will hurt them since he was an innings eater and their bullpen won't hold up.

Ohioballplayer
03-02-2011, 01:17 PM
The Cardinals contended for the division title last year, they just didn't win it, for the reason you pointed out. They couldn't beat the bad teams. No problems vs. the good teams. It was all the sucky teams.

Before Wainwright went down, I expected the Cardinals to be better than last year. Now without Wainwright, I'm just hopeful they stay in contention to make it interesting. Wainwright is one of the top pitchers in baseball and his being out all season is a huge loss. No denying that.

Wainright down and Berkman in the OF, get used to 3rd place for 2011, behind the Brewers and Reds!

If you lose Pujols, get used to 3rd place more often, because you will lose more players if the Cardinals FO isn't serious about signing their best, just my opinion!

Pony Boy
03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
The Cards are going to finish 3rd in the Central this year. They just have too many holes to compete with the Reds and the Brewers.

Position players.They have a pretty miserable infield other than Pujols. OF is good offensively, bad defensively. Cards v. Reds position players stack up thusly in my opinion. Reds go 5-2-1 in this comparison:

C- Molina < Hernanigan
1B- Pujols = Votto
2B- Shumacher < Philips
SS- Theriot < Janish
3B- Freese < Rolen
RF- Berkman < Bruce
CF- Rasmus > Stubbs
LF- Holliday > Gomes

Starting Pitching. The Reds go 2-2-??? in this matchup with the Cards. I sorted this according to my own rankings, not how Dusty set the rotation which isnt based on the quality of the pitchers.

1. Carpenter > Arroyo
2. Garcia > Cueto
3. Westbrook < Wood
4. Lohse < Volquez
5. McClellan ??? Bailey

An injured Wainwright really changes the comparison. With Wainwright healthy the Cards dominate this matchup and still get to keep their best reliever in the pen. With Wainwright out the matchup looks about even. I might even give it to the Reds given their superior depth.

I don't think you can make any judgement on McClellan as a starter right now. He was a failed starter in the minors, but he has been an excellent reliever who seems to have enough pitches to be successful as a starter. But the Cards are robbing Peter to pay Paul with the McCellan move. It may help the rotation, but it is really going to hurt the bullpen. The Reds won't have to do that if they have injuries or ineffetiveness in the rotation. They have Leake, Maloney and Lecure in the pipeline.

Bullpen. I didnt feel like going through this player by player. I do think that with the loss of McClellan in the Cards bullpen coupled with a full year of Chapman and the Arrendondo pickup the Reds bullpen is clearly better.

The Reds are just a better team on paper.

UCBrownsfan
03-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Starting Pitching. The Reds go 2-2-??? in this matchup with the Cards. I sorted this according to my own rankings, not how Dusty set the rotation which isnt based on the quality of the pitchers.
1. Carpenter > Arroyo
2. Garcia > Cueto
3. Westbrook < Wood
4. Lohse < Volquez
5. McClellan ??? Bailey

No way would I trade Cueto for Garcia... most overrated pitcher in the NL IMO. 11 of his 28 runs given up at home were unearned, he gives up the runs, the home scorer just makes him and his era look better. There was a huge difference between the Reds and Cardinals when it came to scoring. We both had close to the same road unearned runs, whereas the cardinals had something like 4 times as many home unearned runs.

LeDoux
03-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Here is the author's profile:

"Welcome! My name is William Browning. I am an accomplished writer, in love with my beautiful wife and am blessed with two precious children who teach me something new every day."

No mention of an extra insight into baseball or anything else. Just another blog that passes for news these days.

Vottomatic
03-02-2011, 07:42 PM
The reason the Reds will win the division is the same reason they won it last year.

DEPTH.

Injuries are a major part of the 162 game season. The team with quality replacements will get it done. No other team in the division has anything left in the cupboard that can compete with the Reds in term of depth.

gedred69
03-02-2011, 09:08 PM
I really felt StL traded away a run for the Division title when they moved Ludwick. I don't see that have anybody to really fill that gap.

VottoFan54
03-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I really felt StL traded away a run for the Division title when they moved Ludwick. I don't see that have anybody to really fill that gap.

I don't think it was the Ludwick trade that ruined this teams chances, although it didn't help there chances. I think they would have definitely been contenders this year despite the trade, but then they lost Wainwright.

Now that they lost Wainwright the Cardinals are going to need a very good showing from guys like Jon Jay, Jaime Garcia, and their middle infielders if they plan on contending and I don't see that happening. My prediction is the Cards stick around for a month or two and then start to slowly fall off the pace and will finish in third behind the Reds and Brewers. I could see the top part of the division being a lot like last year with the Brewers and Cards switching places and the '11 Cards having a slightly better record than the '10 Brewers

Swampturkey
03-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Wainright down and Berkman in the OF, get used to 3rd place for 2011, behind the Brewers and Reds!

If you lose Pujols, get used to 3rd place more often, because you will lose more players if the Cardinals FO isn't serious about signing their best, just my opinion!

The Cardinals are ALWAYS serious about contending. They have been known to do what it takes to win. I realize that the so-called experts predict Pujols will leave St. Louis after this year, but I don't see it happening. He has strong ties to the city with his Pujols Foundation, and Adult Center for people living with Down Syndrom that he just opened a couple of years ago, his kids schools, and his restraunt. As long as he isn't horribly low-balled, I think he stays.

Swampturkey
03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
The Reds are just a better team on paper.

I'm stealing a line from Scott Rolen who back in 2006 prior to the World Series when everyone was saying that "on paper" the Tigers were the team to beat said..."It's a good thing we don't play on paper" then followed that up by saying he prefered to "Read between the lines". :)

I'm not as optimistic as I was a month ago, but I'm also not ready to give up on my team in March.

BTW, I realize Votto won the MVP last year, but my money is still on Pujols to have a better season. They were equal last year in what was a career year for Votto and a normal to slightly below normal year for AP. It's too soon to say whether or not Votto will put up those same numbers on a year to year basis.

Ohioballplayer
03-07-2011, 01:26 PM
The Cardinals are ALWAYS serious about contending. They have been known to do what it takes to win. I realize that the so-called experts predict Pujols will leave St. Louis after this year, but I don't see it happening. He has strong ties to the city with his Pujols Foundation, and Adult Center for people living with Down Syndrom that he just opened a couple of years ago, his kids schools, and his restraunt. As long as he isn't horribly low-balled, I think he stays.

Hmmmm, I think he stays also, I did say "IF" yes?

Swampturkey
03-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Hmmmm, I think he stays also, I did say "IF" yes?

I know. Just giving my opinion on that. All the experts seem to think he'll go to the cubs. That too me is rediculous. 1. he has always said winning his the most important thing to him and we all know the cubs don't win. 2. he has mentioned before he doesn't like all the Chicago day games. 3. I think he has too much class to do that to his fans in St. Louis. At least I hope so.

goreds2
03-09-2011, 12:33 AM
3. I think he has too much class to do that to his fans in St. Louis. At least I hope so.

http://0.tqn.com/d/politicalhumor/1/0/1/C/clinton_laughing.jpg