PDA

View Full Version : Dusty Says.............

DannyB
03-01-2011, 05:16 PM
:nono:No platoon in left.
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/03/01/baker-no-platoon-in-left/

wlf WV
03-01-2011, 06:53 PM
What are they going to do with all the outfielders,if Sappelt forces his way on,or is that even possible?

Vottomatic
03-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Just when I was starting to like Dusty, he goes and says something stupid like this. Ugh. Gomes is our everyday LFer? Geez, Milwaukee might win the division now.

Platooning is the smart thing to do. He actually kind of contradicted himself. Almost like he said Gomes is my starting left fielder but he knows he won't play everyday. Weird.

Dusty needs to play the best matchups. Our infield, Bruce, and Stubbs deserve to play everyday. LF needs to be where he mixes things up.

Stray
03-01-2011, 08:18 PM
If Fred Lewis plays well he'll earn a lot of starts in left. Same for Heisey. From everything I've read Gomes worked hard this offseason to get leaner and be more productive for this team, if he's deserving he'll get the majority of the starts. No need to read too much into it now.

03-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Dusty is a big believer in clubhouse chemistry. He likes winners, and he thinks Gomes is a winner.

Or maybe Dusty thinks the Reds need him for his fashion advice?

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_mlb_experts__66/ept_sports_mlb_experts-282791120-1286243719.jpg?ymImB4DDigbfBLiQ

gedred69
03-01-2011, 10:38 PM
What are they going to do with all the outfielders,if Sappelt forces his way on,or is that even possible?

Granted. it's very, very early, but Sappelt is off to a notable start. You read his story growing up, Dad building him a batting cage, and so far, he appears to be absolutely demonic about making it in the Big Leagues. I wonder if Lewis, Hermida, et.al. might have been for naught. He may be our guy. On an earlier thread I asked from those that watch the Minors if he could be a lead-off, and the response was, "possibly".

KYExtemper
03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Through three games here's Sappelt's stat line (per my stat upkeep):

2 hits, 4 runs, 2 RBI's, 1 HR, 1 SB, and a .571 BA.

The only outfielder near that line so far is Hermida...but it's still early.

VottoFan54
03-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Using stat lines through three spring training games is absolutely pointless. None of the pitchers you are facing are at 100% and if I had to guess a long layoff from playing baseball is going to be tougher to come back from for pitchers and easier for hitters.

I think not platooning in left is a horrible idea here are Gomes splits from last season:
Gomes 2010
vs lefties
165 AB 6 HR 35 RBI 18 XBH 31 K .285 AVG .378 OBP .856 OPS
vs righties
346 AB 12 HR 51 RBI 27 XBH 92 K .257 AVG .301 OBP .709 OPS

With those splits it is ridiculous not to use a platoon. If we don't platoon we will have a left fielder that will hit .257 everytime we face a righty and knowing Dusty's tendencies to have bad lineups he will probably hit Gomes 5 or 6 in the lineup.

Lewis 2010
vs lefties
93 AB 0 HR 7 RBI 6 XBH 26 K .247 AVG .314 OBP .637 OPS
vs righties
335 AB 8 HR 29 RBI 38 XBH 78 K .266 AVG .337 OBP .776 OPS
Using these sets of splits it's really ignorant to say that you think Gomes should be hitting vs righties when Lewis is clearly a better and hitter and defensively he is head and shoulders above Gomes. The Reds signed Lewis to platoon with Gomes and I really hope that is what Dusty does.

JeremiahHorsley
03-02-2011, 01:02 AM
It really doesn't matter how well Sappelt plays if you ask me, he's not going to make the team out of camp, too much talent and experience for the Reds to pass on. One of Lewis Hermida or Heisey will make it before him just because they all have experience and have somewhat proven themselves to be in the Majors. One or possibly even two of these guys will make the team.

I just hope Dusty gets them all some playing time, Love Gomes but he isn't really an everyday guy as he showed to really slow down after his awesome start.

JeremiahHorsley
03-02-2011, 01:02 AM
It really doesn't matter how well Sappelt plays if you ask me, he's not going to make the team out of camp, too much talent and experience for the Reds to pass on. One of Lewis Hermida or Heisey will make it before him just because they all have experience and have somewhat proven themselves to be in the Majors. One or possibly even two of these guys will make the team.

I just hope Dusty gets them all some playing time, Love Gomes but he isn't really an everyday guy as he showed to really slow down after his awesome start.

tobttr
03-02-2011, 12:36 PM

How long have you had this stuttering problem?

Kingspoint
03-02-2011, 10:39 PM
I could understand that if Heisey was the starter.

Stray
03-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I could understand that if Heisey was the starter.

What has Heisey ever done to warrant being a starter?

Kingspoint
03-03-2011, 12:22 AM
What has Heisey ever done to warrant being a starter?

Progressed properly at every level.

The worst he could do this season would be the best that Gomes could do.

OGB
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
I don't know how he's performed in the field since Sunday, but Marty and Jim made it sound as if Hermida acquitted himself about as well as your average knothole left fielder that day.
If the brass isn't confident about his defense, I doubt he makes the club. Gomes is already a defensive liability because he can only play left and his range is terrible. They don't need one of the 2 OF on their bench to play like he's lost out there.

Stray
03-03-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't know how he's performed in the field since Sunday, but Marty and Jim made it sound as if Hermida acquitted himself about as well as your average knothole left fielder that day.
If the brass isn't confident about his defense, I doubt he makes the club. Gomes is already a defensive liability because he can only play left and his range is terrible. They don't need one of the 2 OF on their bench to play like he's lost out there.

I'm holding out on Gomes having more range this year because of an article I read a few days ago. He talked about how he built his body to DH while in the Rays organization because he knew it was his only ticket to the big leagues. Now that he's here his role has to be different and he apparently dropped a decent amount of weight in the offseason. He'll never have a great arm, but if he's lighter on his toes out there and can get to a few more balls that he wouldn't have last year, then I'm okay with him on defense.

Left field at GABP isn't the toughest gig in the world.

OGB
03-03-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm holding out on Gomes having more range this year because of an article I read a few days ago. He talked about how he built his body to DH while in the Rays organization because he knew it was his only ticket to the big leagues. Now that he's here his role has to be different and he apparently dropped a decent amount of weight in the offseason. He'll never have a great arm, but if he's lighter on his toes out there and can get to a few more balls that he wouldn't have last year, then I'm okay with him on defense.

Left field at GABP isn't the toughest gig in the world.

I don't really have any issues with his defense other than the range, so hopefully there's some truth to that.

JeremiahHorsley
03-03-2011, 01:24 AM
How long have you had this stuttering problem?

How long have you been starting crap on a forum? ha. No need to act hard, we're just talkin reds b. Supposed to be a "family" of fans. No drama.

Old NDN
03-03-2011, 09:56 AM
Sorry guys, I don't see Lewis as much of an upgrade over Patterson and Taveras. A lot of people were sold on them when they arrived...... and look at their results.

03-04-2011, 12:38 AM
I wonder if Dusty's remarks about Lewis possibly not making the team has anything to do with Alonso's progress in LF?

Krawhitham
03-04-2011, 01:07 AM
With those splits it is ridiculous not to use a platoon. If we don't platoon we will have a left fielder that will hit .257 everytime we face a righty and knowing Dusty's tendencies to have bad lineups he will probably hit Gomes 5 or 6 in the lineup.

Lewis VS Right

Gomes VS Right

.257 vs .266 is a problem? It is like 3 more hits (over 335 ABs 89/86). I'll take the player with 33% more power vs the guy with .009 higher average

WTF

BTW the National League batting average last season was .255

Kingspoint
03-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Lewis VS Right

Gomes VS Right

.257 vs .266 is a problem? It is like 3 more hits (over 335 ABs 89/86). I'll take the player with 33% more power vs the guy with .009 higher average

WTF

They both suck.

VottoFan54
03-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Lewis VS Right

Gomes VS Right

WTF

I guess you can use average and power to say that Gomes is just as good As Lewis, but if you look at any other stat like XBH, K, OBP, or OPS it is fairly clear that Lewis is the better player vs righties, and that's not factoring in defense where Gomes is well below average and Lewis is solid.

Krawhitham
03-06-2011, 03:00 AM
I guess you can use average and power to say that Gomes is just as good As Lewis, but if you look at any other stat like XBH, K, OBP, or OPS it is fairly clear that Lewis is the better player vs righties, and that's not factoring in defense where Gomes is well below average and Lewis is solid.

I'll take the guy that gives me 75% more RBIs

Not so fast on that defense talk. Gomes has a better Zone Rating & Fpct in LF than Lewis. Gomes also has more assists per inning than Lewis

Kingspoint
03-06-2011, 04:24 AM
As long as we're going to have bad defense in Left, I'll take the guy hitting .455 this Spring and who slugged .561 the second half of last season.

Vottomatic
03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I like Gomes as an occasional LFer and a good clubhouse guy. But not as an everyday LFer.

I'm waiting to see on Lewis, but I really crave a quality tablesetter/leadoff hitter. Not sure he's the answer.

I also like Heisey, and I feel Stubbs and Bruce were given long leashes due to their draft status. Heisey hasn't been given the same amount of rope. I'd like to see what he can do for an extended amount of time.

I never understood the Hermida signing unless a Heisey trade is on the horizon. Then they would need some depth. But they have Dorn and Sappelt at triple A. Dorn is a quality left handed bat. He can also play first base. I half expected for him to get a look this year.

lonewolf371
03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Lewis VS Right

Gomes VS Right

WTF

The OBP difference is substantial.

VottoFan54
03-06-2011, 12:26 PM
I'll take the guy that gives me 75% more RBIs

Not so fast on that defense talk. Gomes has a better Zone Rating & Fpct in LF than Lewis. Gomes also has more assists per inning than Lewis

The only reason Gomes has more RBI is that he hit 5 or 6 in the lineup and Fred Lewis hit 1 or 2.

texasdave
03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Let's face facts. Individually neither is much of an option. On a platoon basis they aren't so bad. This position should have been addressed over the winter.

lonewolf371
03-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Let's face facts. Individually neither is much of an option. On a platoon basis they aren't so bad. This position should have been addressed over the winter.
There wasn't much available.

RedsFanInBama
03-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm not really that concerned with what anyone is saying in early March. Too much can still happen.

gedred69
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I like Gomes as an occasional LFer and a good clubhouse guy. But not as an everyday LFer.

I'm waiting to see on Lewis, but I really crave a quality tablesetter/leadoff hitter. Not sure he's the answer.

I also like Heisey, and I feel Stubbs and Bruce were given long leashes due to their draft status. Heisey hasn't been given the same amount of rope. I'd like to see what he can do for an extended amount of time.

I never understood the Hermida signing unless a Heisey trade is on the horizon. Then they would need some depth. But they have Dorn and Sappelt at triple A. Dorn is a quality left handed bat. He can also play first base. I half expected for him to get a look this year.

If there is anybody I can't understand how the Reds brass looks at prospects, it is Dorn. He was ready to hit against MLB righties 2 years ago...

JKam
03-07-2011, 02:44 PM
The ominous Dusty quote of the day: “Renteria looked good, Janie (Janish) looked good in the second spot. We had a couple nice hit-and-runs. Cueto looked real good.”

Please don't tell me Dusty is considering batting Janish #2 in the lineup regularly.

lonewolf371
03-07-2011, 04:21 PM
The ominous Dusty quote of the day: “Renteria looked good, Janie (Janish) looked good in the second spot. We had a couple nice hit-and-runs. Cueto looked real good.”

Please don't tell me Dusty is considering batting Janish #2 in the lineup regularly.
Maybe he just meant that he looked good today.

Kingspoint
03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
The REDS and Dusty have to prepare as if Brandon Phillips may not be here for the second half of the season.