PDA

View Full Version : Marty Brennaman

Jerry Narron
03-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Is it just me or is Marty Brennaman sounding even more arrogant this season? At the tail end of Scott Sloan and Tracy Jones afternoon show yesterday they had Marty on, and just by listening to him talk you'd think it was the hardest thing in the world hosting the Hot Stove League Show. I used to like the guy but listening to him lately has become almost unbearable since he thinks his opinion is the only one that matters.

redsfanmia
03-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Is it just me or is Marty Brennaman sounding even more arrogant this season? At the tail end of Scott Sloan and Tracy Jones afternoon show yesterday they had Marty on, and just by listening to him talk you'd think it was the hardest thing in the world hosting the Hot Stove League Show. I used to like the guy but listening to him lately has become almost unbearable since he thinks his opinion is the only one that matters.

This, he is worse on the banana phone.

New York Red
03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I grew up listening to Marty and Joe every night. The Marty we hear now is definitely not the Marty I grew up listening to, and hasn't been for quite a few years.

goreds2
03-03-2011, 01:02 AM
I grew up listening to Marty and Joe every night. The Marty we hear now is definitely not the Marty I grew up listening to, and hasn't been for quite a few years.

http://i.pbase.com/o4/99/455999/1/55545738.MartyBrennamanRedsCaravan.jpg

OGB
03-03-2011, 01:23 AM
Marty has definitely gotten more arrogant, but I still like his style. I think he is generally still very cordial on the banana phone, and I know if I had to respond to the kind of moronic questions and insipid conversation that he has to deal with on the BP and Hot Stove League, I wouldn't do as good of a job of biting my tongue as he does.

bounty37h
03-03-2011, 11:01 AM
I love Marty and hope he goes for ever.

Old NDN
03-03-2011, 11:19 AM
I haven't been a Marty fan for awhile, mainly because of some of the reasons listed in other posts. In fact, I haven't listened to a game on the radio since I retired 6 yrs. ago. If I can't watch it, I read about the games on here or on the e-editions of the papers and blogs. Works for me.

DocRed
03-03-2011, 11:52 AM
I love Marty and would kill to have him call TV games...

DirtyBaker
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Maybe his style wouldn't work in other sports, but at baseball's pace I welcome his commentary, personality, and enthusiasm. With people calling in complaining about Dontrelle's ST debut, I'm glad Marty is behind the mic to put people like that in their place.

I've listened to a number of teams' broadcasts last year and Marty & Jeff are the best combo out there by far. Those who have tuned off are missing out.

His arrogance is closer to funny than it is to overboard.

Cuban_Missile
03-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Maybe his style wouldn't work in other sports, but at baseball's pace I welcome his commentary, personality, and enthusiasm. With people calling in complaining about Dontrelle's ST debut, I'm glad Marty is behind the mic to put people like that in their place.

I've listened to a number of teams' broadcasts last year and Marty & Jeff are the best combo out there by far. Those who have tuned off are missing out.

His arrogance is closer to funny than it is to overboard.

Exactly Marty always has been and always will be the man!

getfoul
03-03-2011, 03:44 PM
Exactly Marty always has been and always will be the man!

Kinda like Alexei Ramirez will always be the Cuban Missile.

Why did they steal his nickname?

Vottomatic
03-03-2011, 03:45 PM
I started not to like Marty for awhile. I think the losing made him really negative and his arrogance came across often.

But ever since they paired him with Brantley, I've enjoyed their banter back and forth. I think Marty likes working with Jeff, and they make a good pair. Maybe Marty is happier now, obviously with the winning, and a good commentator beside him.

Reds
03-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Marty is my man. HE wouldn't wear a Sox cap. ;)

AintlifeGrande
03-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I love Marty,he is just a cranky ole man.He was much better when Joe was alive.Why were people calling and complaining about Dontrelle?I thought he was doing well.Have the wheels already come off?

gedred69
03-03-2011, 09:04 PM
I love Marty,he is just a cranky ole man.He was much better when Joe was alive.Why were people calling and complaining about Dontrelle?I thought he was doing well.Have the wheels already come off?

I agree about Marty. Nuxy kept his disappointment in check. And, I think he grew really frustrated, (and cranky) during the Lindner regime. It was hard for him to keep a positive face, with such lousy management, especially with the extremely arrogant "leatherpants".

arkimadee
03-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Marty is a cranky old man. That being said, the day I don't get to hear his voice during the Reds baseball during the summer will be a very very sad day. I'm 25 so I don't know what life would be like without Marty on the radio during the summer. It's all most of us know.

goreds2
03-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Marty is a cranky old man. That being said, the day I don't get to hear his voice during the Reds baseball during the summer will be a very very sad day. I'm 25 so I don't know what life would be like without Marty on the radio during the summer. It's all most of us know.

:thumbup:

bounty37h
03-04-2011, 10:32 AM
The first time I met Marty at spring training in 1992, he took the time to sit and talk with me for close to 30 minutes. All I asked for was an autograph, but will always appreciate the conversation and how great he was to me. Many players could stand to learn how to interact with fans from him.

ryanparkersongs
03-07-2011, 07:25 AM
I've met Marty a few times and he has always been very nice. I wasn't lucky enough to get to have a 30-minute conversation with him, but I've never seen him be rude to any fans. I look at his on-air personality as entertainment, whether he comes across as arrogant or not. The Reds have the best broadcasters in Major League Baseball and Marty leads the crew. I agree with the poster who commented on what a sad day it will be when the first season rolls around without Marty behind the mic. We should appreciate what we have.

Captain13
03-07-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm 36, and it's all I know. Every spring I still have to adjust to not hearing Joe...I like The Cowboy and Kelch, but I still say "I'm listening to Marty and Joe", it's an old habit I don't necessarily want to break.

FlyingPig
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Cranky, yes..
Ego-driven, yes..

But after all these years, it's going to be a sad season when I tune into the Reds on Radio and don't hear Marty Brennaman.

I still miss the Old Left Hander.

OfficerRodFarva
03-07-2011, 05:18 PM
Love Marty, Love his attitude.