PDA

View Full Version : Monday's Game - Sappelt

HitByPitch
03-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Just got back from the game... Every time I watch Sappelt he his hitting ropes. He's having a great spring IMO. He did lose a ball in the sun today, but made another great running catch over his shoulder at the warning track.

AintlifeGrande
03-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Hopefully by the all star break,they will trade a few players,as well as bring this guy up if he keeps hitting.

KYExtemper
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Sappelt is doing a fantastic job. He's batting over .500 and he's done it over 7 games. Not a ton, but it demonstrates consistency. He is also leading the team in hits, runs, and RBIs.

goreds2
03-07-2011, 10:36 PM
He is also leading the team in hits, runs, and RBIs.

Austin Kearns used to do that also in the spring.

DaytonFlyer
03-08-2011, 06:11 AM
He is having a good spring, but he needs to start this season in the minors, even if he hits 1.000 with 20 homers and 65 spring RBIs.

roby
03-08-2011, 10:50 AM
He is having a good spring, but he needs to start this season in the minors, even if he hits 1.000 with 20 homers and 65 spring RBIs.

Really?

davereds24
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
If he's the best option you go with him. This team is ready to win now. He's extremely valuable as a pinch runner and late defensive sub also. On a bench with the likes of Cairo, Renteria, Hanigan, Francisco that is huge.

DirtyBaker
03-08-2011, 12:21 PM

I agree. His minor league and ST numbers are impressive, but with Heisey and Lewis already proven at this level, I want to see another productive 1/2 year in AAA of Sappelt before I'm confident enough to trade away an OFer to make room.

HitByPitch
03-08-2011, 05:45 PM
Another double and single today in the B game...

davereds24
03-08-2011, 06:19 PM
I agree. His minor league and ST numbers are impressive, but with Heisey and Lewis already proven at this level, I want to see another productive 1/2 year in AAA of Sappelt before I'm confident enough to trade away an OFer to make room.

What exactly have Heisey and Lewis proven?

BigJohn
03-08-2011, 06:36 PM

Dumbest thing I have ever read.

Jr's Boy
03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Yeah that was a bold statement.

Jefferson24
03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Dusty says there is more to playing baseball than hitting. True, I guess the other parts would be fielding and base running. Is Sappelt worse than Gomes at fielding, I doubt it.

If he proves to be the best option in LF at the end of spring training then I say bring him up.

Vottomatic
03-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Dusty says there is more to playing baseball than hitting. True, I guess the other parts would be fielding and base running. Is Sappelt worse than Gomes at fielding, I doubt it.

If he proves to be the best option in LF at the end of spring training then I say bring him up.

There is also more to managing than filling out a lineup card, and Dusty can't even do that. :D

Roush's socks
03-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Sappelt should start in AAA but he should get a chance at some point He does seem to have that something extra.

Votto4MVP
03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Where in the batting order does sappelt seem best fitted for? I havent had a chance really to watch him much, but it looks like he has solid speed, also looks like he has a little power too.

Is he a potential leadoff guy? 2? Middle of the order?

It might be looking too far in the future, but it would be fun to see this guy pan out and have a potential future OF of Sappelt (24)-Stubbs(26)-Bruce(23/almost 24).

gedred69
03-08-2011, 10:29 PM
In previous threads the question has been posed to those that actually see the minors players in action, and the return was, yes he could hit lead-off. Yes he is very fleet of foot, but his base running skills are lacking. I say he needs a month or two at Louisville to help learn how to overcome those shortcomings. Then I hope the LF question is answered. He is a hitter.

davereds24
03-09-2011, 09:17 AM
In previous threads the question has been posed to those that actually see the minors players in action, and the return was, yes he could hit lead-off. Yes he is very fleet of foot, but his base running skills are lacking. I say he needs a month or two at Louisville to help learn how to overcome those shortcomings. Then I hope the LF question is answered. He is a hitter.

A couple months isn't going to fix that. Remember last year how many stupid baserunning mistakes Bruce, Phillips, and Votto had? Especially early in the year. It's not a reason to keep a guy in AAA. The best way to learn baserunning is at the highest level from the best guys.

BigJohn
03-09-2011, 09:37 AM
http://redlegnation.com/2011/02/27/future-red-dave-sappelt/

wlf WV
03-09-2011, 12:02 PM
The 40 man roster is the biggest obstacle it seems for Sappelt.As I said in another thread,is it possible for Sappelt to force his way NE?I think the answer is no.I hate signing draft choices to 40 man rosters,hardly any are worth it.

BigJohn
03-10-2011, 01:37 PM
Total bases!
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?c_id=cin

BigJohn
03-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Still leading in TB!
:thumbup:

UPRedsFan
03-17-2011, 06:23 PM
And a triple today. This guy looks like he's about to solve the left field problem. Gomes better start the season on fire or he's going to lose his job.

Would love to see Dusty split left field between Sappelt and Heisey

HitByPitch
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
I saw Sappelt's triple today...he is locked in at the plate. His speed helped with his triple today as well. DTrain's triple was impressive too...head first slide into third. I like it.

wlf WV
03-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Austin Kearns used to do that also in the spring.
Is this a slam or a compliment? Kearns was never quite the same after his (hand?) injury.If I was manager or GM, Sappelt would play his way off the big league team.

Eric the Red
03-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Walt is always saying "these things work themselves out" so it remains to be scene how well Gomes/Lewis/Heisey perform in left. If Sappelt is hitting .330+ in AAA and the aforementioned trio are hitting around .250 out of the LF spot after a month or two it will be interesting if the Reds brass would promote Sappelt. He's been very impressive thus far in Spring Training and is making a lot of people take notice, and that is a good thing.

Vottomatic
03-18-2011, 03:36 AM
This is why we have a LF problem.

The organization is buying time why they wait for someone to grab LF by the horns.

I believe they think Sappelt can fill both the LF void and the leadoff hitter void.

We shall see.

lidspinner
03-18-2011, 07:06 AM
This is why we have a LF problem.

The organization is buying time why they wait for someone to grab LF by the horns.

I believe they think Sappelt can fill both the LF void and the leadoff hitter void.

We shall see.

I agree.....but does the brass sit back the 1st few months and let Sappelt work in AAA or do they let him fight it out with the Reds? I think if you are in it to win it then you dont let the hottest hitter go south when there will be a glaring hole in LF and leadoff....a hole that we worked around last year, will we be lucky enough to work around it this year? I say he needs to be on the Reds and work his way south if he fails......I know he needs some seasoning but wow, kid looks like he has it together...

UPRedsFan
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I agree Sappelt should play his way to AAA. But here's why Sappelt won't make the team. If you had...

Sappelt - lf
Phillips - 2b
Votto - 1b
Rolen - 3b
Bruce - rf
Stubbs - cf
Hernandez - c
Janish - ss

bench would be...
Heisey
Hannigan
Cairo
Renteria
Gomes

Leaves no left handed hitter off the bench. They're not going to send Heisey or Gomes down. Only way to keep Lewis or Hermida as a lefty off the bench is to send Sappelt to AAA. Unless there's an out of the blue trade or injury, Sappelt will go to Louisville. And Gomes will start in left with Lewis or Hermida as the left handed pinch hitter. They'll let Sappelt prove this isn't just a spring fling and they'll give Gomes a chance to find his stroke for a couple months.

lidspinner
03-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I agree Sappelt should play his way to AAA. But here's why Sappelt won't make the team. If you had...

Sappelt - lf
Phillips - 2b
Votto - 1b
Rolen - 3b
Bruce - rf
Stubbs - cf
Hernandez - c
Janish - ss

bench would be...
Heisey
Hannigan
Cairo
Renteria
Gomes

Leaves no left handed hitter off the bench. They're not going to send Heisey or Gomes down. Only way to keep Lewis or Hermida as a lefty off the bench is to send Sappelt to AAA. Unless there's an out of the blue trade or injury, Sappelt will go to Louisville. And Gomes will start in left with Lewis or Hermida as the left handed pinch hitter. They'll let Sappelt prove this isn't just a spring fling and they'll give Gomes a chance to find his stroke for a couple months.

that is great point of view....how long do you let Gomes/Lewis fail before you send them down/bring up Sappelt? Heisey is here to stay IMO, he gives you great value off the bench and has potential to be a great starter or brings a ton of value in the trade market if he has another good year......

here is where I start to get lost....a loss in April is the same thing as a loss in late June or a loss in August or the last week of the season in a 2 game central race.....and I am in no way saying that Gomes/Lewis will lose us games, but you want your best players playing the games at all times....I just hate to see a hot sappelt playing AAA when a cold Gomes/Lewis is playing up here just because of the "Lefty" rule....I understand the business side of the game and I also understand the Reds brass is a ton smarter than I am but would you rather have a smoking hot guy in LF that plays great D or a cold guy who plays below average D but with no lefties on the bench? Its a tough call and I agree with you...I just dont like it....I prefer to let the hot guy ride his streak until he comes back to normal.....who knows, maybe this is normal and the light has came on.....

I am just glad that this is our problem....as in the past, our problems were pitching, defense, offense, bull pen, lol!!!!!! we finally have a great team with great talent on teh Reds and at AAA....this is great

mattwellsey
03-18-2011, 11:56 AM
He has a great spring and is doing a lot of good things. Unfortunately for him, there is a logjam of spots and he hasn't established himself in the pecking order yet.

My blog is reviewing the starting lineup!

Check it out:
http://tapthoseshinguards.blogspot.com/

lidspinner
03-19-2011, 02:18 PM
He has a great spring and is doing a lot of good things. Unfortunately for him, there is a logjam of spots and he hasn't established himself in the pecking order yet.

My blog is reviewing the starting lineup!

Check it out:

so you bring a guy who is playing worse ball and let a hotter guy go south just because of a "pecking order".....I agree with you about that is how it works and that is probably what will happen, I just dont like it.,.

gilpdawg
03-19-2011, 04:10 PM
I think people are putting a little too much stock on exhibition games. Let's see him do it when the games count before we anoint him the Baseball Jesus.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

UPRedsFan
03-19-2011, 05:33 PM
that is great point of view....how long do you let Gomes/Lewis fail before you send them down/bring up Sappelt? Heisey is here to stay IMO, he gives you great value off the bench and has potential to be a great starter or brings a ton of value in the trade market if he has another good year......

here is where I start to get lost....a loss in April is the same thing as a loss in late June or a loss in August or the last week of the season in a 2 game central race.....and I am in no way saying that Gomes/Lewis will lose us games, but you want your best players playing the games at all times....I just hate to see a hot sappelt playing AAA when a cold Gomes/Lewis is playing up here just because of the "Lefty" rule....I understand the business side of the game and I also understand the Reds brass is a ton smarter than I am but would you rather have a smoking hot guy in LF that plays great D or a cold guy who plays below average D but with no lefties on the bench? Its a tough call and I agree with you...I just dont like it....I prefer to let the hot guy ride his streak until he comes back to normal.....who knows, maybe this is normal and the light has came on.....

I am just glad that this is our problem....as in the past, our problems were pitching, defense, offense, bull pen, lol!!!!!! we finally have a great team with great talent on teh Reds and at AAA....this is great
I'd rather have the hot hitter to start the season and solve the lead off problem. Worry about the left handed pinch hitter later. But I don't think Dusty/Walt will see it that way. I think Lewis and his contract will make the team.

texasdave
03-20-2011, 04:35 PM
How do they send this guy down? He just keeps scalding the baseball. Just hit a one-hop ground-rule double to left-center field. Hitting a crisp .533 now. Heisey mashing as well, following Sappelt's ground-rule double with a triple.

Sappelt with two hits so far today as well as Heisey and Frasier. D-Train with a blah outing. 3IP
2H 3ER 2BB 1K (one three-run bomb).

Devin Mesoraco with a line shot to tie things up. Stud in the making.

Heisey with a shot (his 4th) in the 8th, giving him 3 hits on the day and the Reds a 9-8 lead.

Mesoraco with another single. It was a ball stopped by the shortstop in the hole. Reds' announcers confused me because they said it was a ball the first baseman Gamel should have made a play on. HUH???

lidspinner
03-21-2011, 06:36 AM
this is getting better and better with every foot that Sappelt puts in the batters box. You cannot send a guy down who is this hot.....no way no how. is a left hander off the bench really that important? I would love to see some stats on how often a left hander is used in pinch hit situations late in the game.....now if and when Sappelt cools down, then maybe you send him down to get AB's but right now his ABs need to be wearing a Reds uniform.....What if Cueto goes on the 10 day DL? does Dave get a spot then being with all the off days we could juggle some things around.....its a good problem

Girevik
03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Just to play devil's advocate, lets say you do bring Sappelt north with you. He's not on the 40 man roster, so who do you lose. With the Reds' depth, I think the days of being able to have a guy make it through waivers are gone.

Also, if you bring him up, who doesn't make the big squad? I don't think you can send Gomes or Lewis to AAA, so if Sappelt is giong to replace one of them you will lose them as well, and I don't know what Hermidia's status will be if he doesn't make the big club. Let's say you bring Sappelt up and he struggles....seems to me you've kind tied your hands on who you could bring up to take his place.

BigJohn
03-21-2011, 10:58 AM
http://reds.mlb.com/team/roster_active.jsp?c_id=cin

Todd Frazier!
http://reds.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=453943#sectionType=career&statType=1&season=&gameType='R'

davereds24
03-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, lets say you do bring Sappelt north with you. He's not on the 40 man roster, so who do you lose. With the Reds' depth, I think the days of being able to have a guy make it through waivers are gone.

Also, if you bring him up, who doesn't make the big squad? I don't think you can send Gomes or Lewis to AAA, so if Sappelt is giong to replace one of them you will lose them as well, and I don't know what Hermidia's status will be if he doesn't make the big club. Let's say you bring Sappelt up and he struggles....seems to me you've kind tied your hands on who you could bring up to take his place.

You could keep Gomes and Lewis, add Sappelt, send Heisey down. Cut DRH.

lidspinner
03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
I will never admit to being smart when it comes to rules on roster or options and stuff likethat.....but why can Lewis not be sent down? is it his major league contract?

If Lewis can be sent down then that is a no brainer to me...Maybe place Cueto on the DL and still send Leake down...I just think we need to take advantage of a guy when he is on fire...we all know he is going to come back down to earth, but it sure would be nice to take advantage of that hot stick while its hot...send him down later.........

I am sure its more complicated than that....

krm1580
03-21-2011, 05:10 PM
For me this is pretty simple. Regardless of what Sappelt does in the Spring, Dusty will be running Gomes out to LF every day.

From that perspective I would much rather have Sappelt go to AAA where he can play everyday and not burn up his pre-arbitration time playing once every 10 days.

mattwellsey
03-21-2011, 09:02 PM
See my lineup preview on my blog!

mattfeet
03-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Are you just spamming the forum for your blog now? This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've linked to the same article...

-Matt

mattfeet
03-22-2011, 08:30 AM
Are you just spamming the forum for your blog now? This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've linked to the same article...

-Matt

Never mind, I saw there are different entries.

Girevik
03-22-2011, 08:38 AM
I will never admit to being smart when it comes to rules on roster or options and stuff likethat.....but why can Lewis not be sent down? is it his major league contract?

If Lewis can be sent down then that is a no brainer to me...Maybe place Cueto on the DL and still send Leake down...I just think we need to take advantage of a guy when he is on fire...we all know he is going to come back down to earth, but it sure would be nice to take advantage of that hot stick while its hot...send him down later.........

I am sure its more complicated than that....

Lewis and Gomes both have major leage contracts and can't be sent down without accepting the assignment (which is probably pretty unlikely). Actually, I'm not even sure if they could be sent down if they agreed to it.

Putting Cueto on the DL would open up a spot on the 25 man big league roster, but I don't know who your 5th starter is if you don't replace him with Leake (maybe go with a 4 man rotation due to all the off days early?), but that's only a temporary solution and doesn't address the 40 man roster....you'd still have to make a cut there and the organization would lose a player.

Remember too that someone is going to have to go from the 40 man to make room for Willis. Keping Sapelt would necessitate a 2nd cut.

Kingspoint
03-22-2011, 08:20 PM
It's hard to ignore a guy hitting .545 through March 22nd when the projected starter was miserable the second half of last year and is hitting a buck-fifty in Spring.

texasdave
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Sappelt pinch hit and singled in today's game, raising his average to .556. Probably need to send him down though.

Update: Sappelt comes up for his second at-bat of the game and rips a 2-run blast to center. Average up to .568.

Send him down, he is not ready.

Girevik
03-24-2011, 07:12 PM
I was listening to a Hot Stove League podcase, and Marty actually said he WASN'T ready for the big leagues. He siad while no one doubts he can hit, he still needs to work on his base running and defense.

HitByPitch
03-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Well...he may or may not be ready. But those two balls he hit today were scorched. The homerun had hair on it...just sayin.

Eric the Red
03-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Today was the first time I've seen Sappelt swing the bat and he's impressive. He seemed to have good pitch recognition and approach in the box.

He seemed to me to have miss played a ball to center that ended up being a ground rule double I believe. Does anyone else agree or was that ball just not catchable?

He's certainly making the Reds brass consider him. If he goes to Louisville, which most seem to think he will, does he mainly play his accustomed center field or does Rick Sweet primarily play him in left field to prepare for a call up?

HitByPitch
03-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Today was the first time I've seen Sappelt swing the bat and he's impressive. He seemed to have good pitch recognition and approach in the box.

He seemed to me to have miss played a ball to center that ended up being a ground rule double I believe. Does anyone else agree or was that ball just not catchable?

He's certainly making the Reds brass consider him. If he goes to Louisville, which most seem to think he will, does he mainly play his accustomed center field or does Rick Sweet primarily play him in left field to prepare for a call up?

From my angle he made a good effort to come as close as he did...not misplayed. I could be wrong, I didn't see his first step.

Eric the Red
03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
From my angle he made a good effort to come as close as he did...not misplayed. I could be wrong, I didn't see his first step.

Good to know, I think watching Stubbs cover center field has me spoiled as to what is catchable or not.

Kiss the Baby00
03-24-2011, 10:42 PM
I was listening to a Hot Stove League podcase, and Marty actually said he WASN'T ready for the big leagues. He siad while no one doubts he can hit, he still needs to work on his base running and defense.

Wouldn't Gomes still be in the minors if this was the case?

The DARK
03-24-2011, 11:13 PM
Is Sappelt our best option at this point? Maybe. Are we in desperate need of him? Nope. The guy shot up three levels last season mostly on the strength of his bat, and probably has a lot of finesse work to catch up on that he can't afford to in the majors, especially if he's just going to be a 5th outfielder behind Heisey and Gomes. In addition, if he were to start regularly, he'd be moved to left field. While it may be less taxing than center field, changing position like that takes practice too.

And lets not forget, this isn't the Pirates. While Gomes isn't a great bat in the lineup, he isn't a terrible one either, and he's a team leader according to Dusty. Lewis and Hermida are no slouches either, and any of the three could have a breakout season. Half a season of Sappelt in Louisville is a small price to pay for turning this outfield into one of the best in baseball for the next 5 years. :thumbup:

DaytonFlyer
03-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Sappelt's home run yesterday was impressive.

He still needs to start the season in AAA.

mu4103
03-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I wonder if sometimes it might help a kids confidence to play him while he is riding high. No one things he can keep this up. Let him prove them wrong.

texasdave
03-25-2011, 06:20 PM
Sappelt pinch hits for Volquez in the fifth. Doubles. Not ready.

Girevik
03-25-2011, 09:14 PM
Who exactly (other than Marty, of course who doesn't deny he's ready to HIT but has other weaknesses that need work) is saying he's NOT ready? If anything, I hear people saying he's ready, but because of the way the numbers work out he'd be better off playing every day in Louisville.

lidspinner
03-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Who exactly (other than Marty, of course who doesn't deny he's ready to HIT but has other weaknesses that need work) is saying he's NOT ready? If anything, I hear people saying he's ready, but because of the way the numbers work out he'd be better off playing every day in Louisville.

I agree that he is better off playing everyday in Lville....but I would think Dusty has the brains to play your hottest hitter everyday on the big squad....162 games, I would think there is time for Dusty to get Gomes in the game.....I understand Sappelt was fighting a numbers game that is impossible to beat, but soon as he gets called up he needs to play everyday......he can give Bruce a day off once every 2-3 weeks, give Gomes a day off 2 times a week and give Stubbs a day off 1-2 days a week and bat leadoff.......This should give Sappelt about 4-5 starts a week and allows Dusty to see what he has in a leadoff hitter. Lets hope we see Sappelt before April is over.....