PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Tourney Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

Razor Shines
03-07-2011, 08:09 PM
It's getting to be that time that we need this thread.

It looks to me like there are only two locks for #1 seeds. Duke and Duke's 2nd unit.........:D

No, seriously I only see Ohio St. and Kansas as for sure #1 seeds.

I would probably put Notre Dame next, but significantly lower than those two. After that it's pretty much up in the air.

If UNC wins the ACC tourney I'd say they're for sure a #1. I would say the same for Duke, IF one of the teams the beat is UNC.

WVRed
03-07-2011, 08:19 PM
It's getting to be that time that we need this thread.

It looks to me like there are only two locks for #1 seeds. Duke and Duke's 2nd unit.........:D

No, seriously I only see Ohio St. and Kansas as for sure #1 seeds.

I would probably put Notre Dame next, but significantly lower than those two. After that it's pretty much up in the air.

If UNC wins the ACC tourney I'd say they're for sure a #1. I would say the same for Duke, IF one of the teams the beat is UNC.

Notre Dame or Pitt, whichever of those two win the Big East, should be a number one seed.

I'd say its Ohio State, Kansas, Duke, and Pitt. Notre Dame, BYU, North Carolina, and Texas for the no 2's.

bucksfan2
03-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Pitt won the Big East didn't they? They should get a 1 seed.

ND would probably be my choice for the final 1 seed but I don't like them in the tourney.

Duke should not be anywhere near a 1 seed. They don't have the resume that the other clubs do.

Teams I would not want to see in my side of the bracket: Purdue, Wisconsin, ODU, Gonzaga, Kansas St., and Xavier.

Higher seeds I don't see making it very far: Texas, ND, St. Johns, and Pitt.

Redsfaithful
03-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I hope Ohio State has BYU in their bracket as their 2 seed.

Razor Shines
03-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Pitt won the Big East didn't they? They should get a 1 seed.

ND would probably be my choice for the final 1 seed but I don't like them in the tourney.

Duke should not be anywhere near a 1 seed. They don't have the resume that the other clubs do.

Teams I would not want to see in my side of the bracket: Purdue, Wisconsin, ODU, Gonzaga, Kansas St., and Xavier.

Higher seeds I don't see making it very far: Texas, ND, St. Johns, and Pitt.

Yeah, that's what people said about Duke last year.

If what I think is going to happen happens in the ACC tourney then I agree with you. I only think they should get a #1 seed if the win the ACC tourney and one of the teams they beat is Carolina.

I see ND making at least a Sweet 16 and possibly an Elite 8 run.

Boston Red
03-08-2011, 09:23 PM
The Selection Committee should really consider leaving 'Nova out of the field.

Razor Shines
03-11-2011, 11:09 AM
ND looked strong against UC. Wow. I'm pretty excited for UConn - Syracuse tonight also.

I guess I'm kinda wondering. If ND happens to lose tonight or tomorrow, who gets the #1 seed out of the Big East? I would think ND has it locked up after last night, but I have still heard people say that if ND doesn't win the BE tourney Pitt will get the #1.

Reds Fanatic
03-11-2011, 11:26 AM
ND looked strong against UC. Wow. I'm pretty excited for UConn - Syracuse tonight also.

I guess I'm kinda wondering. If ND happens to lose tonight or tomorrow, who gets the #1 seed out of the Big East? I would think ND has it locked up after last night, but I have still heard people say that if ND doesn't win the BE tourney Pitt will get the #1.

I don't see Pitt getting a 1 after losing yesterday. I would think ND will definitely be a 1 if they win tonight to get to the Big East final. At this point I think the 1 seeds will be Ohio State, Kansas, ND and if Duke or North Carolina win the ACC tournament I think one of those will be the last 1 seed.

Scrap Irony
03-11-2011, 05:53 PM
If Notre Dame doesn't win the Big East tourney, Duke AND UNC will be number one seeds. The NCAA loves them some Tobacco Road basketball.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 10:46 PM
50 for Jimmer. 4 minutes still to play.

Scrap Irony
03-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Jimmer is as close as the NCAA has to Maravich this season.

And I'd be shocked if BYU goes past the Sweet 16. Teams with one great player and a bunch of poor ones don't do well in March.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Teams with one great player and a bunch of poor ones don't do well in March.

Who are you talking about? Can't be BYU.

Razor Shines
03-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Jimmer is as close as the NCAA has to Maravich this season.

And I'd be shocked if BYU goes past the Sweet 16. Teams with one great player and a bunch of poor ones don't do well in March.

Depends on how hot that player gets. Steph Curry carried Davidson to the Elite 8. But I think the Sweet 16 would be a nice run for BYU without Davies.

Scrap Irony
03-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Without Davies, BYU is nothing special.

If they played in the Big East, they would have had to play five games. If they played in the SEC East, they'd have finished below Georgia. If they played in the Big Ten, they would have been just ahead of Michigan.

Gaudy win totals, but who have they played? Arizona, UCLA, and a suspect San Diego State team.

Meh.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 11:01 PM
What's suspect about SDSU?

Scrap Irony
03-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Depends on how hot that player gets. Steph Curry carried Davidson to the Elite 8. But I think the Sweet 16 would be a nice run for BYU without Davies.

The exception that proves the rule. Davidson's run was aided almost completely by who they played. Georgetown played slow. Wisconsin played even slower. And the Badgers had one athletic player on their entire team. The perfect storm.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 11:03 PM
Davidson's supporting cast was nothing like BYU's. Davidson was a true mid-major other than Curry. Not so much for BYU.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 11:05 PM
I wonder if BYU could have survived in the land of 36-33 that is the Big Ten.

Scrap Irony
03-11-2011, 11:06 PM
What's suspect about SDSU?

Give me BYU and San Diego State in my bracket and I'm a happy guy. Neither team has played much of anyone. No experience in big games. I doubt they play up to their ranking.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 11:09 PM
If they played in the SEC East, they'd have finished below Georgia.

You got really carried away here.

Scrap Irony
03-11-2011, 11:16 PM
You got really carried away here.

Who are they better than?

Florida? Please.

Kentucky? Not a chance.

Vandy would out-athletic them. And equal their shooting ability.

They couldn't hang with UT's athletes.

And UGA's bigs would eat them alive.

Boston Red
03-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Seriously, Georgia?!? They're terrible.

Revering4Blue
03-12-2011, 02:05 PM
No question, losing Davies hurts BYU, but to suggest BYU is now a one man team is a bit disingenuous. Jackson Emery could start for many schools. He provides the same type of backcourt support Stephon Curry received from Jason Richards in '08.

IMHO, it is irrelevant to compare Major conference teams wuth SDSU and BYU. The NCAA tourney will take care of that, but, as Scrap pointed out, much depends on the bracket draw.

texasdave
03-12-2011, 05:31 PM
Congrats on Dayton making the Finals of A-10 tournament. Looks like they might play the Spiders of Richmond, who are leading Temple by 3 with 28 seconds to go.

Scrap Irony
03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Seriously, Georgia?!? They're terrible.

Can you give me a bad loss for Georgia?

Boston Red
03-12-2011, 06:22 PM
Can you give me a bad loss for Georgia?

Alabama for one. And speaking as a Xavier grad and fan, I don't think there's much of a chance Xavier would win in the Marriott Center.

Revering4Blue
03-12-2011, 06:41 PM
FWIW, Joe Lunardi has Penn State and Colorado in and both Georgia and Alabama on the outside looking in, which I find odd.

Boston Red
03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
FWIW, Joe Lunardi has Penn State and Colorado in and both Georgia and Alabama on the outside looking in, which I find odd.

I wish we were still at 65 so all four could make their well-deserved trips to the NIT.

Actually, seeing that Penn State has made it to the Big Ten final, they probably deserve a bid (though you have to hold your nose while giving them credit for winning a game 36-33!)

Scrap Irony
03-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Alabama for one. And speaking as a Xavier grad and fan, I don't think there's much of a chance Xavier would win in the Marriott Center.

Alabama is a bubble team at worst. They were the SEC West winner. (Not that that is great shakes, but the Crimson Tide won 12 games in the league.)

If Georgia and BYU switched teams, the 'Dogs would win the league by a landslide, Trey Thompkins would be mentioned similarly to Jimmer Fredette (but have 10+ rebounds per game) and the talking heads would insist the Bulldogs should have a top seed.

BYU, meanwhile, would be Arkansas, as Fredette = Rotnei Clarke (plus 5 inches).

Boston Red
03-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Alabama is a bubble team at worst. They were the SEC West winner. (Not that that is great shakes, but the Crimson Tide won 12 games in the league.)

If Georgia and BYU switched teams, the 'Dogs would win the league by a landslide, Trey Thompkins would be mentioned similarly to Jimmer Fredette (but have 10+ rebounds per game) and the talking heads would insist the Bulldogs should have a top seed.

BYU, meanwhile, would be Arkansas, as Fredette = Rotnei Clarke (plus 5 inches).

You've got to be a parody poster.

Scrap Irony
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Nice analysis, Boston. Well done. You really convinced me with the statis-- oh, wait. You didn't use any. How about logical comp-- oh, none of those either? Well, at least you responded with class-- nope. Not even that.

Prove me wrong if you don't agree. If you can. Don't attack the poster-- attack the message. :rolleyes:

FWIW, Clarke scores at a solid clip-- 15 PPG, but is limited because that's all he can do. Fredette can't guard a stopwatch. He doesn't rebound. He leaks out to cherry pick points and he takes an absolute ton of shots per game.

He also plays against lesser players with less athletic ability, meaning that quick release looks that much quicker and that first step is good enough.

Were he to play against top-notch competition, he'd still score. But not at the rate he does now.

Boston Red
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
Nice analysis, Boston. Well done. You really convinced me with the statis-- oh, wait. You didn't use any. How about logical comp-- oh, none of those either? Well, at least you responded with class-- nope. Not even that.

Prove me wrong if you don't agree. If you can. Don't attack the poster-- attack the message. :rolleyes:

How can anyone possibly even respond to that? It's ridiculous.

Tell you what, Massey ratings has a ratings comparison of 47 different rankings including the human polls and every computer ranking imaginable. BYU's lowest ranking among the 47 is #20. Georgia's highest ranking among the 47 is #35. So if you really think Georgia is better than BYU, you're likely not to be swayed by objective sources that all overwhelmingly point to BYU being vastly superior.

Then again, you also think a SDSU team that is 31-0 against teams not named BYU is "suspect". So :confused:

Boston Red
03-12-2011, 07:53 PM
Didn't count, but Fredette hit one of the more ridiculous shots I've ever seen just after the halftime horn in Vegas. Looks like SDSU is finally gonna draw blood on BYU barring a big rally.

Scrap Irony
03-12-2011, 08:07 PM
How can anyone possibly even respond to that? It's ridiculous.

Tell you what, Massey ratings has a ratings comparison of 47 different rankings including the human polls and every computer ranking imaginable. BYU's lowest ranking among the 47 is #20. Georgia's highest ranking among the 47 is #35. So if you really think Georgia is better than BYU, you're likely not to be swayed by objective sources that all overwhelmingly point to BYU being vastly superior.

Then again, you also think a SDSU team that is 31-0 against teams not named BYU is "suspect". So :confused:

Polls are obviously fallible. They also include Davies, who's no longer on the BYU team.

I suppose we'll see if BYU is indeed for real. Ditto San Diego State. If the win up to their seed, I'll be shocked.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Debate is almost over...

Congrats to Duke, Ohio State, Kentucky and Richmond with big, resume-enhancing wins today.

Guessing the 4 #1's are Kansas, OSU, Duke and Pitt.

Think the #2's are Notre Dame, SDSU, Kentucky and North Carolina.

I think UF gets a 3 seed but will be rewarded, so to say, by a favorable opening venue in nearby Tampa.

I think UConn is going to get one of the remaining 3 seeds, with Purdue and BYU rounding them out. I don't think UConn necessarily deserves it, if you look at the whole body of work, but the committee generally rewards hot late season play.

Syracuse, Texas, Wisconsin and Louisville should round out the 4's, but I am completely guessing there.

Last I checked, Mr. "Bracketologist" Joe Lunardi had Alabama and Georgia in the "Last 4 out." I hope he's wrong about that...I want as big of an SEC presence there as possible.

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Lunardi has the #1s as OSU, Kansas, ND and Pitt.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 05:45 PM
I would be very, very surprised if BOTH Pitt and ND got ones....I don't think there is any doubt Duke gets one after today....

redhawkfish
03-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Where do you guys see X and UC being seeded?

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Where do you guys see X and UC being seeded?

My guess....and I may be way off....X with a 6 and Cincy with a 9

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Charles Barkley seems like he's high or something...he is making no sense and having difficulty speaking in complete sentences.

Joseph
03-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Charles Barkley seems like he's high or something...he is making no sense and having difficulty speaking in complete sentences.

Par for the course with Sir Charles.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Ohio St #1 overall seed

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Weird to think there are going to be 68 teams in the tourney this year.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:04 PM
Buckeyes in the East Region.

Kansas #1 in the Southwest.

Pitt is the #1 in the Southeast.

Duke #1 in the West. Got 'em all right. Take that, Lunardi. :)

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Tucky a #4 in the east....vs. Princeton....surprised

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Georgia in as a 10

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Xavier gets a 6.....good guess there on my part....but I was way off on Kentucky

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 06:15 PM
I can't believe UK drew a 4. Wow.

TheBigLebowski
Although they got a lower seed than I predicted, this bracket shapes up well for UK imo...

Joseph
UK as a four. Wow.

No chance we come out of that bracket though.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Here comes the west....

Duke draws Hampton...in Charlotte...

Michigan vs Tennessee in a very intriguing 8/9

WMR
03-13-2011, 06:20 PM
LOL Now do you want to talk about screw jobs?? :lol:

Kentucky a 4. Wow, I wonder what they would have gotten if they hadn't won the SEC Tournament. And the worst 4 at that, matched up against the overall #1. :lol:

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Texas a 4 out west...vs. a pesky Oakland team

SDSU gets the #2 in the west

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Penn State in...kinda surprised..as a 10 vs. 7 Temple

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:22 PM
UConn did indeed get a 3....vs. Bucknell....Bucknell is never an easy draw....

Cincinnati with a 6!

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:24 PM
I wish the NCAA would re-name these regions....it's so stupid to name them geographically....come on, the west #1, Duke, plays their first game in Charlotte North Carolina?

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:26 PM
LOL Now do you want to talk about screw jobs?? :lol:

Kentucky a 4. Wow, I wonder what they would have gotten if they hadn't won the SEC Tournament. And the worst 4 at that, matched up against the overall #1. :lol:

I am baffled by that seeding. Really am. And it can't mean good things for Florida.

WMR
03-13-2011, 06:28 PM
By the way: This screws Ohio State as well. They were not treated as the overall #1 seed should be treated (EXACTLY like UK was done last year).

TheBigLebowski
Southwest....Kansas gets Boston in Tulsa

8 UNLV vs 9 Illinois....good matchup

Vandy with a 5 and UK a 4???? Huh? Vandy gets Richmond as a 12

paintmered
It seems that the committee hasn't gone out of their way to prevent 2nd round intra-conference matchups. UC gets a brutal opening weekend.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
That makes no sense whatsoever. UK got screwed.

Notre Dame with the 2 seed....Akron is their opponent

Texas A&M a 7 vs. 10 Florida State...another good matchup.....FSU deserved better than a 10....

Purdue gets the 3rd 3 seed

Georgetown with a 6 seed....

RedsBaron
03-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I wish the NCAA would re-name these regions....it's so stupid to name them geographically....come on, the west #1, Duke, plays their first game in Charlotte North Carolina?

Charlotte is in western North Carolina. ;)

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Charlotte is in western North Carolina. ;)

Touche. :)

WMR
03-13-2011, 06:32 PM
SDSU as Duke's #2 seed. :lol: Was Myron Piggie on the seeding committee?

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:34 PM
I am guessing UF is the #3 seed in the last bracket....but after seeing what happened to Kentucky, I am scared....but my guess is Pitt #1, obviously, with BYU as the #2. If we get the #3 in Tampa, I betcha we get a tough draw.

Here goes....

WMR
03-13-2011, 06:36 PM
Vandy over UL in 2nd round mark it down.

(If Morehead doesn't upset them. :D )

Razor Shines

That game would be in Anaheim. That's nearly a home game for SDSU.

And TBL, that's why they are named by region. The West regional will be in Anaheim, CA...which is pretty West.

TheBigLebowski
Butler 8 vs. 9 Old Dominion...all good 8/9 games

KSU draws a 5....vs. USU

Wisky gets a 4 vs. Belmont.....a tough draw for them

WMR
If it means UT beating DOOK, I will slather myself head to toe in orange body paint a la Mr. Cookout.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:37 PM
UF with a 2??? WOW....vs. UC-Santa Barbara

Honestly, I am not saying this because I am not exactly amongst friends here, but we got better than we deserved and Kentucky got worse. Sorry. That sucks.

paintmered
03-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Florida is a 2? That's a bit of a stretch, IMO.

WMR
03-13-2011, 06:39 PM
UF with a 2??? WOW....vs. UC-Santa Barbara

Honestly, I am not saying this because I am not exactly amongst friends here, but we got better than we deserved and Kentucky got worse. Sorry. That sucks.

Damn. We win 2 out of 3 vs UF and get 2 seeds lower and in the "Bracket of Death."

:eek:

I want to see the committee members explain the logic behind such seemingly unfair decisions.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Colorado's bubble burst...as well as VaTech...no Alabama

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Barkley: "Flawda is NOT a numba two seed"

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
If I am an Alabama fan, I am upset as hell....they beat Georgia two times and Georgia made it over them, and comfortably so. Colorado got the shaft as well..

I agree with the 4 #1s.....and for the most part, the #2s and #3s....KY got a screw job....no doubt....I thought UF was a solid 3....shocked about that.

TheBigLebowski
03-13-2011, 06:44 PM
dupe

paintmered
03-13-2011, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know how to get tickets to the Dayton games on Tuesday and Wednesday?

Edit: A simple Google search reveals all. $94 for all four sessions is the only option. I'd be in for one game but not all four.

dabvu2498
03-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Vandy over UL in 2nd round mark it down.

(If Morehead doesn't upset them. :D )

Richmond is far more likely to beat Vandy than Vandy is to beat Louisville.

dabvu2498
03-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Does anyone know how to get tickets to the Dayton games on Tuesday and Wednesday?

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/1600453ED1476DAF?brand=ncaa

Just bought mine. Want to see VCU. Know a couple dudes affiliated with that program. Beyond shocked they got in.

Slyder
03-13-2011, 07:29 PM
If it means UT beating DOOK, I will slather myself head to toe in orange body paint a la Mr. Cookout.

I am hoping that Beilien's boys beating Duke. Beilien's Boys did it once... the year after he left but that team was Beilien's more than it was Huggins team.

joshnky
03-13-2011, 07:30 PM
It seems that the committee hasn't gone out of their way to prevent 2nd round intra-conference matchups. UC gets a brutal opening weekend.

Kind of hard to do with 11 teams from the Big East.

Boston Red
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM

SDSU is 31-0 against teams not named BYU. I'd expect them to be a strong #2 (especially in Anaheim).

WMR
03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
LOL Dicky V was just going nuts on ESPN calling this bracket a travesty etc. etc. ... Maybe they need to put computers in charge of seeding altogether and make sure there aren't any DUKE grads writing the programming code. I think the NCAA's code has been fatally corrupted.

(NOT JUST UK. There is LOTS wrong with this bracket.)

WMR
03-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Wow, everyone in the media is ripping this bracket to shreds... Bilas, Fraschilla...

Fraschilla said that only 2 of the 12 committee members had a basketball background. ?????? Why would someone who doesn't know basketball be seeding a basketball tournament????? NCAA = JOKE.

dabvu2498
03-13-2011, 07:57 PM

Edit: A simple Google search reveals all. $94 for all four sessions is the only option. I'd be in for one game but not all four.

You're in Dayton, right? The UD ticket office will be selling individual session tix tomorrow.

paintmered
03-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Gottleib continues to hate on UC. :laugh:

No shock there.

WMR
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Jay Bilas: "I wonder if they have people on the committee who even know that the basketball is round." :lol:

Puffy
03-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Ugh - UNC has a tough road. Well, they were always a hope they gel this year and then hope everyone (Barnes and Henson) stays another year and make run at title next year.

But Washington with a great player in Thomas, then Syracuse and that damn match up zone and good athletes and then either Ohio State or Kentucky. Tough road.

At least Duke has a Beilein coached team (hopefully) and then a great on the ball defensive team that will beat them if they play like they were in January Texas team. Ugh, I hate, hate, hate Duke.

WMR
03-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Ugh - UNC has a tough road. Well, they were always a hope they gel this year and then hope everyone (Barnes and Henson) stays another year and make run at title next year.

But Washington with a great player in Thomas, then Syracuse and that damn match up zone and good athletes and then either Ohio State or Kentucky. Tough road.

At least Duke has a Beilein coached team (hopefully) and then a great on the ball defensive team that will beat them if they play like they were in January Texas team. Ugh, I hate, hate, hate Duke.

One thing Tar Heel and Cat fans have no trouble agreeing on. :D

Puffy
03-13-2011, 08:01 PM
One thing Tar Heel and Cat fans have no trouble agreeing on. :D

And, apparently, Michigan Fab Five guys too (I've never liked Jalen Rose more by the way!!)

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 08:04 PM
LOL Dicky V was just going nuts on ESPN calling this bracket a travesty etc. etc. ... Maybe they need to put computers in charge of seeding altogether and make sure there aren't any DUKE grads writing the programming code. I think the NCAA's code has been fatally corrupted.

(NOT JUST UK. There is LOTS wrong with this bracket.)

I fail to see how Duke got anything they didn't deserve.

UK got screwed big time, but that has nothing to do with Duke.

dabvu2498
03-13-2011, 08:05 PM
I fail to see how Duke got anything they didn't deserve.

UK got screwed big time, but that has nothing to do with Duke.

Duke got, by far, the easiest bracket. They didn't deserve that.

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Duke got, by far, the easiest bracket. They didn't deserve that.

SDSU and UCONN > Florida and BYU

And they were sent further away from their home than anyone. People were gonna complain about Duke no matter what they got.

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Pitt got the easiest bracket.

Kansas got the toughest by far and that doesn't make any sense.

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Ohio St's bracket isn't tough either. The way UNC played during the tournament they probably shouldn't have been a 2. Kentucky is tough because of how early they get them. I think Kentucky should be in that bracket but as the last #2, not a 4. There is simply no explanation for Kentucky getting a 4.

Boston Red
03-13-2011, 08:41 PM
There is simply no explanation for Kentucky getting a 4.

Didn't Kentucky lose 7 games in the SEC? That seems like a reason. I think Kentucky probably merited a 3, but I'm not sure how you could give them a 2.

WMR
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
A 3 was what I was expecting the entire time. To be given the absolute worst 4 seed just sucks and is not fair. Oh well.

Razor Shines
03-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Didn't Kentucky lose 7 games in the SEC? That seems like a reason. I think Kentucky probably merited a 3, but I'm not sure how you could give them a 2.

I think a 3 would be fair. But I could see them as a 2. I think it's clear that UK is better than Florida.

Revering4Blue
03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
SDSU is 31-0 against teams not named BYU. I'd expect them to be a strong #2 (especially in Anaheim)

I do, too. But we are obviously in the minority here.

Like everyone else, I'm baffled by Kentucky as a 4, but there is one factor that may aid them in their second round match-up:

It is not at all out of the realm of possibility that the UAB/Clemson winner KOs WVU in the first round. That would force either UAB or Clemson to have to play 3 games in 5 days, not an enviable task. Again, it still doesn't justify UK as a 4th seed, but it may well help UK, assuming they don't take Princeton for granted, which I'm sure they will not.

Tony Cloninger
03-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Still don't understand how Cincy gets to play CON (Most likely) in the 2nd round already? 2 teams from same Conference already playing in the 2nd round?

I don't see the guys at ESPN talking much about how Duke got it easy yet. Would like to hear what their opinions on that.

Boston Red
03-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Still don't understand how Cincy gets to play CON (Most likely) in the 2nd round already? 2 teams from same Conference already playing in the 2nd round?

With 11 Big East teams, it's almost impossible to avoid some of that.

Tony Cloninger
03-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Well some guy who I have no idea who he is already picked them to lose in the 1st round. Anyone understand why? Mizz is better than Cincy?

Slyder
03-13-2011, 10:00 PM
With 11 Big East teams, it's almost impossible to avoid some of that.

With any more than 8 teams from a conference, its impossible to avoid possibly playing a conference foe in the second round.

Boston Red
03-13-2011, 10:17 PM
With any more than 8 teams from a conference, its impossible to avoid possibly playing a conference foe in the second round.

I don't think that's right. There are 16 second round games. The 11 teams could theoretically be sprinkled throughout those 16 games. But it's tough to do that when you consider seeding.

Javy Pornstache
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM

They lost 6, not that that's much better than 7, but the fact remains they entered today with an RPI and SOS of 9, and those should've gone up after the win over Florida (haven't seen the latest numbers yet). I'm not sure many people were pining for a 2 for UK, but they definitely deserved a 3. The selection committee gets worse by the year, and I'm talking about more than UK's seed, there are lots of issues with this 2011 bracket.

WVRed
03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
They lost 6, not that that's much better than 7, but the fact remains they entered today with an RPI and SOS of 9, and those should've gone up after the win over Florida (haven't seen the latest numbers yet). I'm not sure many people were pining for a 2 for UK, but they definitely deserved a 3. The selection committee gets worse by the year, and I'm talking about more than UK's seed, there are lots of issues with this 2011 bracket.

Gene Smith is catching a ton of heat (and deservedly so), but what really set me off was reading that the seeding was concluded on Saturday. If that was the case, the games today didn't matter.

I wish UNC would have won instead of Duke just to have seen that argument. UK got screwed but if Duke had gotten a no 1 seed over UNC after UNC beat them in the championship, ESPN would have been all over it.

Sea Ray
03-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Michigan vs Tennessee in a very intriguing 8/9

Who was it around here that said Tennessee wouldn't make it?

Javy Pornstache
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Who was it around here that said Tennessee wouldn't make it?

I dunno, but it couldn't be any more wrong, UT may be streaky, but they had a no-doubt resume for making the tournament, many big wins, top SOS and good RPI throughout the year. I think the SEC got clouded and "hated on" a little more than necessary this year, because of the awful non-conference of many of the teams (largely the whole West division), and the general awfulness of Auburn and LSU throughout the year... the league actually was pretty good by the end of the year, imo.

Sea Ray
03-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Jay Bilas: "I wonder if they have people on the committee who even know that the basketball is round." :lol:

Those guys were drilling the committee for omiting Colorado. We've always known they valie RPI and Colorado's RPI is 65, far below VCUs and UABs. I don't get their gripe

Sea Ray
03-13-2011, 11:21 PM
I dunno, but it couldn't be any more wrong, UT may be streaky, but they had a no-doubt resume for making the tournament, many big wins, top SOS and good RPI throughout the year. I think the SEC got clouded and "hated on" a little more than necessary this year, because of the awful non-conference of many of the teams (largely the whole West division), and the general awfulness of Auburn and LSU throughout the year... the league actually was pretty good by the end of the year, imo.

I'm not impressed with SEC basketball this year. Very little defense as shown by lots of layups. I don't think the conference will do well as a whole in this tourney

Javy Pornstache
03-13-2011, 11:31 PM
I dunno man, Alabama and Kentucky are two of the best in America in terms of defensive efficiency, and Florida and Tennessee aren't too far behind if I recall correctly. There definitely have been track-meet type games, I know, but I think there are more good defensive teams than bad ones from what I've seen... if anything, I think the offense is lacking in the league.

Reds Fanatic
03-14-2011, 12:07 AM
The full schedule is out for the first few rounds:

FIRST ROUND GAMES - TUESDAY, MARCH 15
Tip (ET) Network Site Game Play-by-Play/Analyst//Reporter Producer/Director
6:40 PM truTV Dayton UNC Asheville vs. UALR Nantz/Kellogg/Kerr//Wolfson Ken Mack/Jim Cornell
after conc. I truTV Dayton UAB vs. Clemson Nantz/Kellogg/Kerr//Wolfson Mack/Cornell

FIRST ROUND GAMES - WEDNESDAY, MARCH 16
6:40 PM truTV Dayton UTSA vs. Alabama St. Gus Johnson/LenElmore//Marty Snider Mack/Cornell
after conc. I truTV Dayton Southern California vs. VCU Johnson/Elmore//Snider Mack/Cornell

SECOND ROUND GAMES - THURSDAY, MARCH 17
12:15 PM CBS Tampa West Virginia vs. UAB/Clemson Ian Eagle/Jim Spanarkel//David Aldridge Bob Mansbach/Chris Svendsen
12:40 PM truTV Wash. D.C. Butler vs. Old Dominion Tim Brando/Mike Gminski//Lewis Johnson Ross Schneiderman/Vic Frank/Bryan Lilley/Andy Goldberg
1:40 PM TBS Denver Louisville vs. Morehead St. Verne Lundquist/Bill Raftery//Lesley Visser Mark Wolff/Suzanne Smith
2:10 PM TNT Tucson Temple vs. Penn St. Kevin Harlan/Reggie Miller/Dan Bonner//Sam Ryan Scooter Vertino/Renardo Lowe
after conc. I CBS Tampa Kentucky vs. Princeton Eagle/Spanarkel//Aldridge Mansbach/Svendsen
after conc. I truTV Wash. D.C. Pittsburgh vs. UNC Asheville/UALR Brando/Gminski//Johnson Schneiderman/Frank Lilley/Goldberg
after conc. I TBS Denver Vanderbilt vs. Richmond Lundquist/Raftery//Visser Wolff/Smith
after conc. I TNT Tucson San Diego St. vs. Northern Colorado Harlan/Miller/Bonner//Ryan Vertino/Lowe

SECOND ROUND GAMES THURSDAY EVENING, MARCH 17
6:50 PM TBS Tampa Florida vs. UC Santa Barbara
7:15 PM CBS Denver BYU vs. Wofford
7:20 PM TNT Wash D.C. Connecticut vs. Bucknell
7:27 PM truTV Tucson Wisconsin vs. Belmont
after conc. III TBS Tampa UCLA vs. Michigan St.
after conc. III CBS Denver St. John's vs. Gonzaga
after conc. III TNT Wash. D.C. Cincinnati vs. Missouri
after conc. III truTV Tucson Kansas St. vs. Utah St.

SECOND ROUND GAMES FRIDAY AFTERNOON, MARCH 18
12:15 PM CBS Tulsa Texas vs. Oakland Marv Albert/Steve Kerr//Craig Sager Scott Cockerill/Lonnie Dale
12:40 PM truTV Charlotte Michigan vs. Tennessee Nantz/Kellogg//Wolfson Bob Dekas/Bob Fishman
1:40 PM TBS Chicago Notre Dame vs. Akron Spero Dedes/Bob Wenzel//Jamie Maggio Craig Silver/Mark Grant
2:10 PM TNT Cleveland George Mason vs. Villanova Gus Johnson/Len Elmore//Marty Snider Steve Scheer/Mike Arnold
after conc. I CBS Tulsa Arizona vs. Memphis Albert/Kerr//Sager Cockerill/Dale
after conc. I truTV Charlotte Duke vs. Hampton Nantz/Kellogg//Wolfson Dekas/Fishman
after conc. I TBS Chicago Texas A&M vs. Florida St. Dedes/Wenzel//Maggio Silver/Grant
after conc. I TNT Cleveland Ohio St. vs. UTSA/Alabama St. Johnson/Elmore//Snider Scheer/Arnold

SECOND ROUND GAMES FRIDAY EVENING, MARCH 17
6:50 PM TBS Tulsa Kansas vs. Boston U.
7:15 PM CBS Charlotte North Carolina vs. Long Island
7:20 PM TNT Chicago Purdue vs. St. Peter's
7:27 PM truTV Cleveland Xavier vs. Marquette
after conc. III TBS Tulsa UNLV vs. Illinois
after conc. III CBS Charlotte Washington vs. Georgia
after conc. III TNT Chicago Georgetown vs. Southern California/VCU
after conc. III truTV Cleveland Syracuse vs. Indiana St.

Reds
03-14-2011, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the last post.

late night Thursday tnt - that's the the usual pro spot if I'm not mistaken. :D

cumberlandreds
03-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Here's my thoughts,FWIW. I'm sorry if I got a little too wordy.

It was quite obvious the selection committee had the seeds done by Friday With exception of a couple of either/or scenarios (UNC/Duke) the teams and seeds were set on Friday.
UK at a four is fine but Florida at a two is way overseeded. A three for them would have been good. They have played extremely well the last month and the only losses were to UK. If UK had beaten Ole Miss, Arkansas and Alabama they would have gotten that two seed. You can't lose to that many poor to medicore teams and expect top line seed.
Texas got screwed with a four seed. I thought they were a solid two. They have the most complaints about the seeding as anyone.
I was shocked to see VCU in the tourney and almost as shocked by UAB. I am willing to bet those two coaches and players from those teams were shocked to be in the tourney too.
But you know the teams that were left out Colorado,Alabama,Boston College and Va Tech don't have much of an argument to have been included. All of their OOC SOS are very poor. Colorado's was 325! That's an embarassment and they have no excuses for scheduling that poorly. Actually Harvard had as good a resume as any team left out or VCU and UAB.
The East is a beast. Whoever comes out that will be bloodied and bruised. I betcha Thad Motta didn't like seeing UK come up in his bracket.
The Southeast is the weakest by far. A very good chance a cinderella team comes out of that region. Old Dominion,Utah State and Belmont are capable of beating anyone in that region. Tom Izzo has be looking at that bracket and be smiling too. To be honest you could make a case for just about anyone in that region of winning it. Well, maybe not UCSB and UNC Asheville.
If UK beats Princeton (And that won't be easy) don't be surprised if they meet Clemson. I have a feeling the winner of the UAB/Clemson game will beat WVU.
Louisville/Morehead will an interesting game. I imagine Pitino is having nightmares about Faried. Also Richmond/Vandy will be a good game. Vandy has a real shot at getting to the Sweet 16 but it won't be easy.
Gene Smith should be in politics. he said a whole about nothing in his interviews. No real explanations. My feeling is that none of these committee member know much about basketball and most fans could have done as good a job as they did. This is one of the poorest jobs of putting together a tournament as I have seen in recent memory. You know if they can come up with a formula for the BCS to select two teams for a football title then they can come up with one to select 37 teams and seed all 68. It can't be that hard to have a formula that incorporates RPI,KenPom,SOS and rankings or whatever else there is. Why is is left to the subjectivity of human beings that have built in predjudices against teams and conferences?

bucksfan2
03-14-2011, 08:52 AM
Couple of thoughts here.

-As for Gene Smith he has been on the Selection Committee for 10+ years I believe. There were a few things I was surprised by but I thought all in all it was ok.

-I have absolutely no problem with teams like VCU and UAB getting bids over weaker power conference guys. I would actually prefer that the committee take the mid majors over the power guys on the bubble. Teams like Colorado, Va Tech, BC, etc. had all the resources to schedule a top notch non-conference schedule as well as time during the year to win in conference. The don't have a beef with me if they were on the bubble. Look at St. Mary's. They were in the tournament but they lost at home to Utah St and in the title game to Gonzaga and got left on the outside. I would much rather see teams like St. Mary's and Harvard and any other Mid Major on the bubble make it over a power conference scrub. I have little sympathy for Colorado or Va Tech.

-It appears as if the selection committee put a lot of weight in the entire season not placing too much value on the most recent events. Kudos to them. Note to UC you may want to schedule a little harder Non conference to avoid a Colorado situation.

-I don't like OSU's bracket. I felt they got hosed by getting North Carolina as the 2. The weakest 2 is Florida, they should have gotten them. Carolina may not be great but are dangerous.

-Duke didn't deserve the #1 seed and it will be seen how their bracket plays out. The big question is SDSU for real?

-No problem with UK as a 4 seed. They may have deserved a one line higher seed but no big deal to me. Too many in conference losses.

-ODU Pitt may be a great game. That would be a slug fest.

-UC Missouri has the potential to be an ugly game. UC can make it to the Sweet 16 but they would have to go up against Missouri and their press as well as Kemba Walker.

WMR
03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Gene Smith is a joke. I hope he's a better AD than he is committee chairman.

After watching that press conference, he really should be in politics. Hope he's proud of presiding over the worst bracket in recent memory. Of course, I'm guessing he was more worried about the crap going on at his school than putting out the best bracket possible.

They should have let Jay Bilas interview him rather than the softball BS he stammered and hemmed and hawed his way through.

The guy is just clueless and looking at that panel on the committee, he's got plenty of company in that regard. How about getting some people who at least, as Jay Bilas remarked, know that the ball is round? :lol:

The real problem though is with the process itself. You let each committee member decide on their own criteria when voting on seeds? No standardization? Just stupid. There needs to be complete transparency in this process and the human element needs to be greatly reduced. Why do you work all year for your SoS and RPI if it doesn't mean a crap in the final analysis?

RichRed
03-14-2011, 09:08 AM
-I have absolutely no problem with teams like VCU and UAB getting bids over weaker power conference guys. I would actually prefer that the committee take the mid majors over the power guys on the bubble. Teams like Colorado, Va Tech, BC, etc. had all the resources to schedule a top notch non-conference schedule as well as time during the year to win in conference. The don't have a beef with me if they were on the bubble. Look at St. Mary's. They were in the tournament but they lost at home to Utah St and in the title game to Gonzaga and got left on the outside. I would much rather see teams like St. Mary's and Harvard and any other Mid Major on the bubble make it over a power conference scrub. I have little sympathy for Colorado or Va Tech.

I'm a grad of a CAA school so I'm biased, but I completely agree. The uproar over leaving Colorado out is baffling, like Sea Ray said. And Seth Greenberg at Va. Tech refuses to play ODU as if it's beneath him, despite the incredible interest that rivalry would draw in Virginia (of course, the truth is he knows he'd probably lose).

Seth Davis thinks Tech should've been in over VCU because they lost 8 games in the ACC while VCU lost 7 in the CAA. He conveniently left out that the CAA plays more conference games so VCU went 14-7 in the CAA, including the tournament, while Tech went 11-8 in the ACC.

Also, Va. Tech lost to a bad UVA team twice, and responded to their upset win over Duke by losing to BC and Clemson.

I'm thrilled to see the CAA get 3 teams in the tourney for the first time ever, even if it took a 68-team field to do it, and as you can probably tell, I'm not terribly unhappy that Va. Tech got left out. :D

Chip R
03-14-2011, 09:11 AM
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88034

bucksfan2
03-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Gene Smith is a joke. I hope he's a better AD than he is committee chairman.

The real problem though is with the process itself. You let each committee member decide on their own criteria when voting on seeds? No standardization? Just stupid. There needs to be complete transparency in this process and the human element needs to be greatly reduced. Why do you work all year for your SoS and RPI if it doesn't mean a crap in the final analysis?

As an Alumni I think he has done one heck of a job at OSU. He has been a successful AD at one of the top and most demanding jobs in the country.

What problems did you have with the bracket? And were there more problems than in years past? Every single year there is a lot of crying over the few teams who got "screwed" then we forget about it come Thursday.

Just looking back to last year Duke wasn't a 1 seed and Kansas didn't deserve to get OSU as the 2 seed in their bracket. The committee also set up Duke's side of the bracket for them. Also thinking back a few years ago UC got hosed during the one Andy Kennedy season.

I guess what I see is the complaining this year is no stronger than the complaining every year. I don't feel sorry for the teams left out because they all had a chance to prove themselves. The teams I feel sorry for are the little guys who get screwed because they play a bad game or two and lose and it kills them.

WMR
03-14-2011, 09:19 AM
As an Alumni I think he has done one heck of a job at OSU. He has been a successful AD at one of the top and most demanding jobs in the country.

What problems did you have with the bracket? And were there more problems than in years past? Every single year there is a lot of crying over the few teams who got "screwed" then we forget about it come Thursday.

Just looking back to last year Duke wasn't a 1 seed and Kansas didn't deserve to get OSU as the 2 seed in their bracket. The committee also set up Duke's side of the bracket for them. Also thinking back a few years ago UC got hosed during the one Andy Kennedy season.

I guess what I see is the complaining this year is no stronger than the complaining every year. I don't feel sorry for the teams left out because they all had a chance to prove themselves. The teams I feel sorry for are the little guys who get screwed because they play a bad game or two and lose and it kills them.

Are you more than 1 person? :lol: You're an Alum or Alumnus, not Alumni.

Just pick up a newspaper or watch ESPN and you'll see what the vast majority thinks about this bracket. I understand he's an OSU guy so you'll defend him until death, but he sucks at this job. (And sucked even worse when asked to explain his decisions. What a joke that was. Why even bother having a press conference if you won't answer questions?)

bucksfan2
03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Are you more than 1 person? :lol: You're an Alum or Alumnus, not Alumni.

Just pick up a newspaper or watch ESPN and you'll see what the vast majority thinks about this bracket. I understand he's an OSU guy so you'll defend him until death, but he sucks at this job. (And sucked even worse when asked to explain his decisions. What a joke that was. Why even bother having a press conference if you won't answer questions?)

2 teams who got in shouldn't have gotten in. Florida as a 2 and UK fans are upset that UK got a 4. What else is wrong with the bracket? What is different from years past?

I think Smith is a good AD and I don't really care about how well he did his job filling out the bracket. I actually think he gave his own team a screw job with UK and UNC in their side of the bracket. But other than that I don't see any HUGE issues with the bracket. For teams like Colorado and Va Tech to complain go ahead and complain away.

Sea Ray
03-14-2011, 09:52 AM
2 teams who got in shouldn't have gotten in. Florida as a 2 and UK fans are upset that UK got a 4. What else is wrong with the bracket? What is different from years past?

This goes to show how much value they put into conference tournaments. Many fans make way too much of these things

cumberlandreds
03-14-2011, 09:52 AM

Smith may be a good AD but he came off in the interviews of this selection process as totally clueless but a good politican with no real answers to questions. Quite honestly if he is this way in his AD job then I can see why Ohio State is having their problems with their football program.
The NCAA needs to have basketball people making the selections. Not a bunch of AD's and commisioners who don't really know the intricacies of college basketball.

WMR
03-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Smith may be a good AD but he came off in the interviews of this selection process as totally clueless but a good politican with no real answers to questions. Quite honestly if he is this way in his AD job then I can see why Ohio State is having their problems with their football program.
The NCAA needs to have basketball people making the selections. Not a bunch of AD's and commisioners who don't really know the intricacies of college basketball.

I wish they would reach out to some of the truly great living legends in our sport. I think of a guy like Dale Brown at LSU or John Thompson at Georgetown. (Get one from each major conference.) Get some people who have LIVED and BREATHED the game and who you can count on to take the job seriously and not let prejudices/politics/IGNORANCE get in the way.

I would love to see Jay Bilas as the Chairman. Get the academia OUT and get some common sense IN.

Chip R
03-14-2011, 10:07 AM
I wish they would reach out to some of the truly great living legends in our sport. I think of a guy like Dale Brown at LSU. (Get one from each major conference.) Get some people who have LIVED and BREATHED the game and who you can count on to take the job seriously and not let prejudices/politics/IGNORANCE get in the way.

I would love to see Jay Bilas as the Chairman. Get the academia OUT and get some common sense IN.

You do realize where Bilas played his college ball at?

WMR
03-14-2011, 10:09 AM
You do realize where Bilas played his college ball at?

:lol: Sacrilege I know!! :D

He's about the only Dookie in the world that I like. :laugh:

cumberlandreds
03-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I wish they would reach out to some of the truly great living legends in our sport. I think of a guy like Dale Brown at LSU. (Get one from each major conference.) Get some people who have LIVED and BREATHED the game and who you can count on to take the job seriously and not let prejudices/politics/IGNORANCE get in the way.

Dick Vitale got one thing right yesterday. He said Bilas should be commisioner of college basketball. He's smart,knows the game and the legal aspects of it. He would bea great choice to at least be chairman of the selection committee that would be made up of former coaches and players.

BRM
03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
:lol: Sacrilege I know!! :D

He's about the only Dookie in the world that I like. :laugh:

Well, besides Laettner.

bucksfan2
03-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I wish they would reach out to some of the truly great living legends in our sport. I think of a guy like Dale Brown at LSU or John Thompson at Georgetown. (Get one from each major conference.) Get some people who have LIVED and BREATHED the game and who you can count on to take the job seriously and not let prejudices/politics/IGNORANCE get in the way.

What was wrong with this bracket? What was so bad this year that you haven't seen in the past? We are talking about the 69th and 70th best team in the country. Those teams that got left out got left out because they didn't win enough games.

I kinda like the selection committee how it is. I don't really think I would call the AD's academia. They are more CEOish than academiaish. Too much is being taken from the Gene Smith interview. To be honest I don't know why the chairman is even interviewed. Nothing profound is going to come out of it and fans are going to complain about the interview every season. Instead of holding Gene Smith accountable for Va Tech not getting in the tournament why don't we hold Va Tech accountable?

Its very easy being on the outside in when discussing the brackets. As for living legends of the sport I am not so sure I would want that. The coaches tend to think differently and often fight to save their peer's jobs. Just this past season Jim Boeheim wanted to open the NCAA tournament up to everyone. Bruce Peral was the same way. The living legends may sound good on paper but could be a recipe for disaster in practice.

WMR
03-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Excellent post from Scrap in UK thread...

Every team loses to teams they shouldn't.

Kentucky got jobbed by the NCAA.

They were the SEC Tournament champ. SOS was very good (8th in the country). RPI? 7th. Tons of close games lost in the last possession or two, but improving to winning those close games late. 8-2 in the last 10, including two wins over Florida, a road win over UT, and a win over Vandy. (Not to mention avenging losses to Ole Miss and Bama on the way to the tourney title.)

This decision-- though trumped as a story by the inexcusable decision to once again keep Greenberg's team out, not to mention Colorado-- is the worst seeding call by the NCAA of the past five years. It's indefensible, really. It hurts Kentucky, but it also hurts OSU.

The Buckeyes are the best team in the dance. But, if seeds hold, their road to the Final Four is much, much more difficult than either Pitt or Duke. Duke's road is a joke, but, hey, that's the way the NCAA rolls every year. Why be surprised?

No, the problem is that OSU will have to go through UK, UNC, Duke then Kansas to win it all.

Duke? An untested SD State or a UConn team that played five games in five days last week. A fading Texas squad.

Pitt? Wisconsin, Florida, or BYU. (The matchups are a joke, too. Wisconsin isn't big or athletic enough, Florida's too wispy and tiny in the backcourt, and BYU would lose by 20+.)

Yawn.

This happens every year with Duke. (Or at least the past decade or so.) It's part of the reason that squad gets so much vitriol aimed at it from rival fans.

IMO, that hate is misplaced in this instance. It should be squarely directed at the NCAA. After all, it's not Duke that makes the pairings.

And I realize you still have to win.

But, if you're a Duke fan (or claim bias on my part), ask yourself this: would you rather face UK in the Sweet 16 or Texas? UNC or San Diego State in the Elite 8?

Who was the number one seed again?

Excellent take, Scrap. You perfectly elucidated the nuances that many miss concerning this bracket's ridiculousness.

RichRed
03-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Why just the major conferences? And therein lies the problem: when's the last time Bilas, Vitale, etc., spoke out for a mid-major team that got left out? Billy Packer's head almost exploded when George Mason got in as an at-large in '06, and they made the Final 4.

There are a few screwy things in this bracket but my main issue is all the at-large teams that made it in with 12, 13, 14 losses.

Yes, if only someone would stick up for the poor downtrodden power conferences and their 25 at-large selections every year.

Razor Shines
03-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Excellent post from Scrap in UK thread...

Excellent take, Scrap. You perfectly elucidated the nuances that many miss concerning this bracket's ridiculousness.

Lol. That post is almost all about Duke. What? People on this board (especially SI) think there is a conspiracy to help Duke out?!!! Nooooooo!!!!!!!

Yes, I would rather Duke play UNC out east than SDSU in LA. From what I saw this weekend unc is as weak a 2 seed as Florida.

I think Texas has a better resume than UK. They're pretty even. Most people were saying texas was a 2. I would rather see unc than Texas. I wouldn't want either UK or Texas as a 4 though.

Jay Bilas said that Duke's bracket is the toughest. (Guess you guys don't want him as the commissioner any more). It's all based on your point of view and people are going to see what they want.

If Duke got an easier road than anyone its not because of conspiracy. It's because the committee sucks at what they do. They're not smart enough to give one team an advantage if they wanted to.

BRM
03-14-2011, 12:17 PM
If Duke got an easier road than anyone its not because of conspiracy. It's because the committee sucks at what they do. They're not smart enough to give one team an advantage if they wanted to.

Agree with you here, especially the bolded part.

Puffy
03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes, I would rather Duke play UNC out east than SDSU in LA. From what I saw this weekend unc is as weak a 2 seed as Florida.

The same Carolina that outplayed Duke for 60 of the 80 minutes during the regular season?? The same Carolina that won the ACC regular season over Duke??

But because they didn't play well over the weekend now they are a weak #2 to you??

bucksfan2
03-14-2011, 01:03 PM
The same Carolina that outplayed Duke for 60 of the 80 minutes during the regular season?? The same Carolina that won the ACC regular season over Duke??

But because they didn't play well over the weekend now they are a weak #2 to you??

Games are 40 minutes aren't they? You don't get partial credit for leading at the half do you?

I don't think Carolina is a weak 2 seed. In fact as an OSU fan I would have rather seen just about all other 2 seeds in their bracket instead of UNC. I think UNC has the potential to be scary in the tournament but I don't know if they can pull of 4 straight wins to advance to the Final 4.

Razor Shines
03-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I probably got carried away with "weak". Id still prefer them to SDSU. Id also prefer them to Texas. I just think Texas has a good shot at the final four. Again I could be a little biased because I've gone to a bunch of ut games this year.

Like I said people will see what they want.

Puffy
03-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Games are 40 minutes aren't they? You don't get partial credit for leading at the half do you?

I don't think Carolina is a weak 2 seed. In fact as an OSU fan I would have rather seen just about all other 2 seeds in their bracket instead of UNC. I think UNC has the potential to be scary in the tournament but I don't know if they can pull of 4 straight wins to advance to the Final 4.

I was only responding to Razor (a Duke fan) claiming UNC was a weak 2 seed based on yesterday's game. My point was they played 6 halves of basketball this year and Duke dominated three and UNC dominated 3. The teams are very close and while Duke deserved the 1 seed, UNC absolutely deserved the 2 seed and they are not a weak 2.

As to can they win 4 in a row to advance to final four - absolutely they can. Will they - I doubt it, this team is probably a year away. But they can with a break or two.

bucksfan2
03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
I was only responding to Razor (a Duke fan) claiming UNC was a weak 2 seed based on yesterday's game. My point was they played 6 halves of basketball this year and Duke dominated three and UNC dominated 3. The teams are very close and while Duke deserved the 1 seed, UNC absolutely deserved the 2 seed and they are not a weak 2.

As to can they win 4 in a row to advance to final four - absolutely they can. Will they - I doubt it, this team is probably a year away. But they can with a break or two.

Yea I figured that when I went back and reread your post. I guess I just think there is more to just dominating halves. Finishing off a game is an art that the good teams have. Its not just about playing well for 20-30 minutes a game, its about putting the game away when its close.

The key to winning the NCAA tournament is to get hot and win 6 games in a row. That takes a level of consistency that many teams do not possess. In UNC's case if they play like they did in the ACC tournament they won't advance to the second weekend. You can get down big to teams like Miami and Clemson and continue to come back. And consider that if you get down big and that clock starts to tic down that is the end. There isn't another tournament after this one. It means the pressure ramps up quite a bit more. UNC has the talent and coaching to do it. I just don't know if they have the consistency.

Cyclone792
03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
The most important question of the day - and I may have missed this somewhere so please point me in the right direction if I have indeed missed this - is where exactly is the RZ tournament pick'em pool link?

EDIT: Nevermind, just found it in Fantasy Island.

Hoosier Red
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Here's my thoughts on the tourney selection process.

http://crimsoncast.com/?p=1204

In my opinion the problems are in the way teams are selected and then seeds are assigned rather than anything else.
If I've read the descriptions correctly, a team is brought up for discussion, and they have to be get a yes vote from 8 of the 10 members.
As I point out in my post, that means if 6 people thought Colorado should have made it in, and 4 people thought Virginia Tech should be in, but they both thought VCU was 2nd of the team's considered, then Colorado and Virginia Tech were left out and VCU was in despite the fact no one thought they were the best of the three.

Puffy
03-14-2011, 03:31 PM
Yea I figured that when I went back and reread your post. I guess I just think there is more to just dominating halves. Finishing off a game is an art that the good teams have. Its not just about playing well for 20-30 minutes a game, its about putting the game away when its close.

The key to winning the NCAA tournament is to get hot and win 6 games in a row. That takes a level of consistency that many teams do not possess. In UNC's case if they play like they did in the ACC tournament they won't advance to the second weekend. You can get down big to teams like Miami and Clemson and continue to come back. And consider that if you get down big and that clock starts to tic down that is the end. There isn't another tournament after this one. It means the pressure ramps up quite a bit more. UNC has the talent and coaching to do it. I just don't know if they have the consistency.

Yeah, they did not play well all weekend - but they still had an 8 game win streak with victories over Duke, Florida State, VT, Clemson and Maryland in that time span. I mean they did play bad but going 14-2 over their last 16 games and being 14-1 before yesterday, they are playing well (this weekend withstanding).

But they'd need some breaks in tourney. Either that or they need to be pissed at how they played all weekend.

Like I said earlier, I think they are a year away. If Barnes and Henson come back that is. Anyway, if they truly are a year away that means I am rooting for UNC and ABD (Anybody but Duke).

Razor Shines
03-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Like I said earlier, I think they are a year away. If Barnes and Henson come back that is. Anyway, if they truly are a year away that means I am rooting for UNC and ABD (Anybody but Duke).

I agree with that. They are going to be one of the favorites to win it all next year, that's for sure.

I'm not a Carolina hater. Some of my favorite players come from there. I loved watching Hansbrough and Ty Lawson was a much fun to watch as any college PG in a while. I like Roy Williams too. I honestly don' think there are any teams that I root against. I don't get rooting against teams. So me calling them a "weak 2" wasn't just because I'm a Duke fan. Although I do think calling them a weak 2 was a little much.

Going in to the ACC tournament I thought Carolina was going to win it and get a #1 seed. I said as much in the other thread. I just think I was reminded of how young they are watching them play this weekend.

I think of the 4 #2 seeds ND and SDSU are the strongest. I think Kansas got screwed big time with their bracket. I think it's, by far, the toughest. And Pitt's is the easiest. Although Pitt's second round game may be the toughest with ODU. I think FLA, BYU and Wisc. are the weakest of the 2, 3 and 4s.

Todd Gack
03-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Has anyone looked at just how bad the bottom half of the Southeast Bracket is?

Good lord.

Sea Ray
03-14-2011, 04:20 PM

Good lord.

Good point

Slyder
03-14-2011, 04:21 PM

Good lord.

Its why I have St. John's in the Elite 8 none of the potential matchups scare me. They are a senior heavy team that shouldn't turn the ball over with a coach who's been there before.

Puffy
03-14-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree with that. They are going to be one of the favorites to win it all next year, that's for sure.

I'm not a Carolina hater. Some of my favorite players come from there. I loved watching Hansbrough and Ty Lawson was a much fun to watch as any college PG in a while. I like Roy Williams too. I honestly don' think there are any teams that I root against. I don't get rooting against teams. So me calling them a "weak 2" wasn't just because I'm a Duke fan. Although I do think calling them a weak 2 was a little much.

Going in to the ACC tournament I thought Carolina was going to win it and get a #1 seed. I said as much in the other thread. I just think I was reminded of how young they are watching them play this weekend.

LOL I root against plenty of teams!

College basketball - Duke
MLB - both the Cards and the Cubs
NFL - Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins
College Football - Florida (although now that Meyer is gone I might switch to rooting against FSU!), Ohio State

Puffy
03-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Its why I have St. John's in the Elite 8 none of the potential matchups scare me. They are a senior heavy team that shouldn't turn the ball over with a coach who's been there before.

Yeah, but the players have not been there before. St Johns is a funny team - can beat anyone on a given night but can also lay an egg. They might not get by Gonzaga.....

Razor Shines
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
LOL I root against plenty of teams!

College basketball - Duke
MLB - both the Cards and the Cubs
NFL - Eagles, Cowboys and Redskins
College Football - Florida (although now that Meyer is gone I might switch to rooting against FSU!), Ohio State

I know this is a different question. But earlier you stated that you are rooting for UNC and ABD. I know you're a Notre Dame football fan, how come they're not one of your secondary teams in basketball?

Puffy
03-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I know this is a different question. But earlier you stated that you are rooting for UNC and ABD. I know you're a Notre Dame football fan, how come they're not one of your secondary teams in basketball?

I like ND as well. Actually I like all the big east teams except Syracuse (lived there for 10 years and grew to hate the SU love). But if I have a second favorite team its either ND or Gonzaga. Maybe UConn too just because they were Syracuse's main rival when I lived in Syracuse so it was fun watching them beat up on the Orange.

Todd Gack
03-15-2011, 10:21 AM

I actually like the Winner of the UCLA/MSU matchup to get to the Elite 8. . . in other words, I'm picking UCLA to get to my Elite 8.

bucksfan2
03-15-2011, 10:51 AM
I like Gonzaga over St. Johns. Don't discount the loss of DJ Kennedy for the Johnies. Then I like BYU over Gonzaga. I find it ironic that the loss of Davies will kill BYU's chances but the loss of DJ Kennedy is being glanced over.

Todd Gack
03-15-2011, 11:00 AM
My 'big' upset of the tourney will be UCSB over UF. Or at least, in part, I think out of all the possibility of any of the Top 3 seeds losing, I think this has a recipe for the best game.

Revering4Blue
03-15-2011, 12:56 PM
Per ESPN insider:

Jay Bilas is picking UConn in the West. So much for the "Duke Homer" theory.
Nearly all experts are picking all 4 #1s to advance to the final four.

>Trendy upset pick that I'm buying--Utah St. over Kansas State

>Trendy upset pick that I'm NOT buying--Oakland over Texas

>Upset picks that virtually no one is picking--UAB/Clemson winner over WVU(Just a hunch.) USC/VCU winner over Georgetown, especially if Chris Wright can't play.

Now, just pick the exact opposite of me here and you will definitely win your pool.:D

dabvu2498
03-15-2011, 01:11 PM
The trendy upset pick I don't get is Belmont over Wisconsin.

I also like Utah State over K State. Utah State is 30-3.

I'm on vacation in AZ starting Friday and we already have our tickets for Saturday in Tucson. I was a bit disappointed when the brackets came out that none of the big names or local teams are playing there, but the idea of a Belmont-Utah State 2nd round game is exciting as hell.

reds1869
03-15-2011, 01:20 PM

Then I take it you haven't seen Belmont play much this year. They are a very, very good team.

Slyder
03-15-2011, 01:22 PM

I also like Utah State over K State. Utah State is 30-3.

I'm on vacation in AZ starting Friday and we already have our tickets for Saturday in Tucson. I was a bit disappointed when the brackets came out that none of the big names or local teams are playing there, but the idea of a Belmont-Utah State 2nd round game is exciting as hell.

I cant get behind KSU losing. They got too far last year to slip up early. I do see the big slow Wisky getting run out of the building vs Belmont though. Texas too should be close.

bucksfan2
03-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Then I take it you haven't seen Belmont play much this year. They are a very, very good team.

If Wisconsin plays they way they are capable there are very few teams who can beat them. They have a great PG, bigs who can shoot the 3 ball, and play a brand of defense that is tough to match. All of their losses came against teams who made the tournament. IMO too much is being placed on their disaster of a game against PSU. They are a dangerous team in any bracket they way they can control the ball, defend, and shoot the 3.

Revering4Blue
03-15-2011, 02:25 PM
I cant get behind KSU losing. They got too far last year to slip up early. I do see the big slow Wisky getting run out of the building vs Belmont though. Texas too should be close.

If Curtis Kelly can stay out of foul trouble and if the Wildcats get hot from behind the arc they can reach the sweet 16. That's too iffy a proposition to take to the bank, especially against a team like Utah State that can match-up well against Kelly and the backcourt/wing players of K-State. Last years team also had Clemente in the backcourt and more depth up front. Losing Judge and Asprilla really hurts K-State.

Belmont and Oakland are for real..However, I do share the general consensus that Belmont has a better chance of beating Wisconsin than Oakland does of upending Texas.

Puffy
03-15-2011, 03:52 PM
Wow, I watched Utah State last week against Boise St and to say I was not impressed is an understatement. Talk about an unathletic team. They won't beat Kansas State as long as Kansas State shows up.

Scrap Irony
03-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Are gaudy records a case of parity or a lack of scheduling?

With many teams-- including some of the upper tier seeds-- that is the main question.

For years, it's been a tough schedule that helps you slog through the tournament.

Perhaps parity, though, has watered down the competition enough that small college teams with good records are simply good teams that haven't been able to schedule better teams.

Brutus
03-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Are gaudy records a case of parity or a lack of scheduling?

With many teams-- including some of the upper tier seeds-- that is the main question.

For years, it's been a tough schedule that helps you slog through the tournament.

Perhaps parity, though, has watered down the competition enough that small college teams with good records are simply good teams that haven't been able to schedule better teams.

I agree gaudy records sometimes are a matter of scheduling. Certainly Belmont, outside of Tennessee twice and Vanderbilt, didn't have a grueling slate. But to their credit, they waltzed through most of their schedule convincingly as you'd expect from a legitimately good team.

I don't subscribe to the scheduling argument though. I know several D-1 coaches and have been privy to scheduling boards and conversations that take place at these levels, and lower-major D-1 teams absolutely are able to schedule aggressively if they're not set on getting a 1-for-1 home & home or even a return game at all. If teams are willing to accept those terms, there's no excuses for not being able to schedule.

Scrap Irony
03-15-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm firmly in the camp that doubts gaudy records, Brutus. 30-point drubbings of Oral Roberts mean less, ultimately, than do four-point losses to North Carolina.

I firmly suspect some major conference teams with poor records would look even better in conferences like the Mountain West, for example, than do teams like BYU and San Diego State.

But that's why they play the game, ultimately.

Brutus
03-15-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm firmly in the camp that doubts gaudy records, Brutus. 30-point drubbings of Oral Roberts mean less, ultimately, than do four-point losses to North Carolina.

I firmly suspect some major conference teams with poor records would look even better in conferences like the Mountain West, for example, than do teams like BYU and San Diego State.

But that's why they play the game, ultimately.

I don't disagree with 4-point losses to UNC meaning more, but at the same time, teams that aren't capable of giving North Carolina a game don't consistently beat the Oral Roberts' of the world by 30 points.

Belmont rolled their schedule with consistency. To me, that's the mark of a good team. I don't think you are capable of doing that if you aren't legit.

I won't at all be surprised if Belmont gets into the second weekend. I really believe that team is the real deal.

paintmered
03-15-2011, 05:53 PM
You're in Dayton, right? The UD ticket office will be selling individual session tix tomorrow.

I'm not sure how it happened, but I scored two free tickets for tonight's games at work. Woot!

Yachtzee
03-15-2011, 06:29 PM
Why just the major conferences? And therein lies the problem: when's the last time Bilas, Vitale, etc., spoke out for a mid-major team that got left out? Billy Packer's head almost exploded when George Mason got in as an at-large in '06, and they made the Final 4.

There are a few screwy things in this bracket but my main issue is all the at-large teams that made it in with 12, 13, 14 losses.

Yes, if only someone would stick up for the poor downtrodden power conferences and their 25 at-large selections every year.

No kidding. Every year there are good mid-major teams getting left out of the tournament in favor of mediocre major conference teams. Mid-majors can be regular season champs in their conference and end up left out if they don't win their tournament. It seems like the basic rule of being a mid-major is, the only way you can guarantee a bid to the NCAA tournament is to win your conference tournament. Otherwise, hello NIT.

dabvu2498
03-15-2011, 07:00 PM

The one time I saw Belmont was one of their losses (vs Vanderbilt early.) I thought they looked like an above average "low major" team.

jredmo2
03-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Perhaps the most noteworthy development from the games today: the cbssports.com player has improved by about five million percent. Granted this could all change when the servers blow up Thursday, but the video is much smoother and clearer than ESPN3. It's possibly better than mlb.tv as well.

Thursday/Friday work, thou shalt be shoddy.

Danny Serafini
03-16-2011, 12:01 AM
So, is anyone the slightest bit surprised that UAB got blown out?

paintmered
03-16-2011, 12:12 AM
So, is anyone the slightest bit surprised that UAB got blown out?

I don't know how they looked on TV, but I assure they looked even worse live.

Razor Shines
03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Irving Might Play (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6222687)

"There is a chance that he would play," Krzyzewski said.

The coach added that if Irving does come back, he won't start, would see only limited minutes and wouldn't be on the court for extended periods of time.

I think if Krzyzewski says "chance" means he's definitely playing. Could be a pretty big deal.

Sea Ray
03-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Irving Might Play (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/news/story?id=6222687)

I think if Krzyzewski says "chance" means he's definitely playing. Could be a pretty big deal.

My guess is if he plays he won't get a lot of minutes thus no big deal. We'll see

Razor Shines
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM
My guess is if he plays he won't get a lot of minutes thus no big deal. We'll see

Depends on what he looks like and what "a lot" of minutes is.

I've heard from "experts" that it's likely he'll get 15-20 mins a game. If he's near what he was to start the season 15-20 mins will be a big deal. He's not John Wall, but he's pretty damn good.

But if he's not near what he was and he's only playing 10 or so minutes then I agree, no big deal.

Cedric
03-16-2011, 01:47 PM
Depends on what he looks like and what "a lot" of minutes is.

I've heard from "experts" that it's likely he'll get 15-20 mins a game. If he's near what he was to start the season 15-20 mins will be a big deal. He's not John Wall, but he's pretty damn good.

But if he's not near what he was and he's only playing 10 or so minutes then I agree, no big deal.

Right now he probably wouldn't be as good as Wall. Earlier in the year I thought he was better than Wall and easily the best player in the nation.

He is a tremendous basketball player.

Revering4Blue
03-16-2011, 09:00 PM
What's the best that could happen for your NCAA tournament basketball team during the next three weeks?

What's the worst?

Read the wildest-dream and darkest-nightmare scenarios for all the remaining teams and find out.

This is funny, and a good read.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2011/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=6219985

Razor Shines
03-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Flew into Atlanta this morning. I know its catlanta but it was swarming with UK gear today.

Chip R
03-17-2011, 12:16 PM
OK, technically it's day 3 but we all know it's really Day 1.

We're starting off with Clemson vs. West Virginia.

BRM
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
Barkley predicted this game will be the Big East's first loss. Also said the Big East is the most overrated conference.

TheBigLebowski
03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
WVU rallies from being down the entire half to tie it with a late 3. 40-40.

dabvu2498
03-17-2011, 01:40 PM
Go Dores.

texasdave
03-17-2011, 02:28 PM
With about a minute left it is about to be Big East 1 Barkley 0.
Back-to-back steals and baskets by Dalton Pepper give WVU a nine-point lead.
And he almost just did it again.

Slyder
03-17-2011, 02:40 PM
With about a minute left it is about to be Big East 1 Barkley 0.
Back-to-back steals and baskets by Dalton Pepper give WVU a nine-point lead.
And he almost just did it again.

Seems like the Louisville is the same story. Opponent starts off fast, they don't get rattled, and just work it back to tie at half time.

Reds Fanatic
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
The first buzzer beater of the tournament as Butler wins on a shot with about .1 seconds left.

TheBigLebowski
03-17-2011, 02:53 PM
Some finish there..

BRM
03-17-2011, 03:54 PM
4 seconds left, Louisville down 1 with the ball. Charles Barkley is smiling...

BRM
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
And Louisville goes down. First upset of the day.

Oxblood
03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Pathetic performance by Louisville. Kudos to the that Elisha Justice, have fun on campus.

texasdave
03-17-2011, 03:58 PM
March Madness in action.

BRM
03-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Penn State and Temple are closing out a good game at the moment. Nittany Lions up 1 with 1:32 left.

BRM
03-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Temple over Penn State, 66-64. UK up 1 at the half.

Some scrub team from Nashville is tipping off in about 10 minutes.

joshnky
03-17-2011, 04:24 PM
Pathetic performance by Louisville. Kudos to the that Elisha Justice, have fun on campus.

Hard to be critical of a walk-on who just hit a three pointer that extended the lead in the minute prior. In the end, Siva has to defend that three pointer and count on defensive help behind him.

Jefferson24
03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Guess my pick of Louisville to go to the championship game wasn't a smart move?

HeatherC1212
03-17-2011, 04:57 PM
I don't normally fill out a bracket but I did this year. I have no great process with picking teams. I mainly just guess and kind of go with what I've heard on the news. Sometimes guessing isn't such a bad idea but I'm all ready banging my head on a wall thanks to Louisville, LOL :laugh: I did pick Temple and Butler though so the endings to those games made me smile. Let's see how broken my bracket is by the end of the games this evening! :p:

Reds Fanatic
03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Princeton is tied with Kentucky with 34 seconds left.

Oxblood
03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Kentucky wins

Reds Fanatic
03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
4 of the 5 games so far today have went right down to the wire.

WMR
03-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Brandon Knight plays, by far, his worst game of the season but comes up huge on a drive to score the go-ahead bucket in the dying seconds... WOW.

And who led UK? Josh Harrellson, Darius Miller, and DeAndre Liggins.

BRM
03-17-2011, 05:16 PM
UK survives. Pitt is running away from UNC-Asheville. The scrubs from Nashville are up 5 late in the 1st half.

TheBigLebowski
03-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Brandon Knight plays, by far, his worst game of the season but comes up huge on a drive to score the go-ahead bucket in the dying seconds... WOW.

I don't know why, but I had this strange feeling on that last possession that Knight was going to win it. Big play. Huge, actually.

VottoFan54
03-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Richmond is giving Vandy some troubles, we'll see if San Diego State can survive a scare from Northern Colorado.

VottoFan54
03-17-2011, 06:35 PM
Looks like Richmond is going to win and SDSU is pulling away from Northern Colorado.

TheBigLebowski
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
My 'big' upset of the tourney will be UCSB over UF. Or at least, in part, I think out of all the possibility of any of the Top 3 seeds losing, I think this has a recipe for the best game.

43-19 at the half. Good call, Gack. Hope this doesn't ruin your brackets. Wait - maybe I do.

WVRed
03-17-2011, 10:32 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/bc/fullj.214e030515e5b6ff4b4bbbfd0bcbd54b/214e030515e5b6ff4b4bbbfd0bcbd54b-getty-108227352mh012_morehead_sta.jpg

Boston Red
03-18-2011, 12:47 AM
Gonzaga was phenomenal tonight. They should be favored against BYU as they should have an enormous rebounding advantage. I think Jimmer has to go off for BYU to win.

cumberlandreds
03-18-2011, 08:03 AM

Shows you how much veterans mean at tournament time. The freshman have to play much better Saturday to have a chance against WVU.

bucksfan2
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
What a great start to the day. Unfortunately at work my MMOD wasn't streaming very good and our internet went down at 2. I listened to the UL and UK broadcasts at work. A great start to the tournament was met with a thud in the late games. Gonzaga, UC, and Wisconsin all looked impressive. MSU with a great comeback that ended in a questionable travel. Couldn't stay up to see the end of the Utah St. KSU game.

Hopefully today's games are as exciting as yesterday's were. I have a feeling there will be a big time upset today. Don't know by who, but a bit time upset.

Scrap Irony
03-18-2011, 08:39 AM
I thought Wisconsin looked horrible. They really don't play defense at all and depend on the other team to miss shots. (How many wide open shots were missed last night?) They don't defend inside or rebound particularly well.

They can shoot. But that's about it.

BYU looked worse. Slow, slower, slowest. No athleticism. Had they played Morehead or even a Richmond, they'd have lost by double digits. Ah, the vagaries of seeding. So fun. :rolleyes:

cumberlandreds
03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
What a great start to the day. Unfortunately at work my MMOD wasn't streaming very good and our internet went down at 2. I listened to the UL and UK broadcasts at work. A great start to the tournament was met with a thud in the late games. Gonzaga, UC, and Wisconsin all looked impressive. MSU with a great comeback that ended in a questionable travel. Couldn't stay up to see the end of the Utah St. KSU game.

Hopefully today's games are as exciting as yesterday's were. I have a feeling there will be a big time upset today. Don't know by who, but a bit time upset.

My MMOD at work didn't work at all. Just said it was loading. :(

No one has/is talking about Gonzaga this season. So this may be the year they actually make a Final Four.

bucksfan2
03-18-2011, 09:42 AM
I thought Wisconsin looked horrible. They really don't play defense at all and depend on the other team to miss shots. (How many wide open shots were missed last night?) They don't defend inside or rebound particularly well.

They can shoot. But that's about it.

BYU looked worse. Slow, slower, slowest. No athleticism. Had they played Morehead or even a Richmond, they'd have lost by double digits. Ah, the vagaries of seeding. So fun. :rolleyes:

Welcome to Wisconsin basketball. They aren't pretty, aren't flashy, but will beat you. They were the chic upset pick but hammered Belmont.

BYU looked bad. Jimmer is going to have to go off in order to win their next game. They do look unathletic and take a ton of awful shots. But at the same time if they get the other team to play to that style of game they may just win again.

Oxblood
03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
UCLA vs. Mich St, crazy game. Terrible free throw shooting by UCLA allowed the Spartans to make it close.

Looking forward to another great day of hoops.

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Welcome to Wisconsin basketball. They aren't pretty, aren't flashy, but will beat you.

Wisconsin is beyond "not flashy" -- they're borderline unwatchably boring.

Scrap Irony
03-18-2011, 12:56 PM
The Big Ten, aside from OSU and Purdue (sometimes), can produce some of the ugliest basketball ever seen.

OSU is a joy to watch this season.

Crisp.

HeatherC1212
03-18-2011, 01:19 PM
I actually got the Gonzaga game right (picked Gonzaga with the upset) even though I knew nothing about their team this year. Go me, LOL :laugh:

Oxblood
03-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I actually got the Gonzaga game right (picked Gonzaga with the upset) even though I knew nothing about their team this year. Go me, LOL :laugh:

Good pick. Very interested in that next game vs. Jimmer, should be a good battle.

bucksfan2
03-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Good pick. Very interested in that next game vs. Jimmer, should be a good battle.

After watching BYU play I don't know how Gonzaga isn't the favorite in this game. BYU just didn't look like a good basketball team last night. They took a ton of awful shots, relied way too much on the Jimmer, and didn't look like a team in sync. Its unfortunate because BYU and Jimmer would be a nice story advancing far in the tournament. But without Davies I think their season ends tomorrow.

BRM
03-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Tennessee is getting absolutely destroyed by Michigan. Down 30 with a little over 3 minutes to play.

UKFlounder
03-18-2011, 03:17 PM
Tennessee was one of the best examples of a team "quitting" that I can recall in the NCAA tourney. That was embarrassing.

Chip R
03-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Maybe they thought Pearl was suspended for that game too.

texasdave
03-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Nova goes home early. Big East now 5-3 in the tourney.

VottoFan54
03-18-2011, 05:47 PM
As a MSU fan that game vs UCLA has to be one of the most frustrating game I've ever seen, every time I had hope of a comeback UCLA would make a run, it was amazing. OTOH if MSU would have won that would have been one of the greatest games in the tournament this year.

NJReds
03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
Nova goes home early. Big East now 5-3 in the tourney.

And they're guaranteed another win and loss when Cincinnati plays UConn.

Reds Fanatic
03-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Xavier was awful in the first half and is down 13 to Marquette.

goreds2
03-18-2011, 09:42 PM
NC can score the points but can also give them up....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20110318_LIU@NC

paintmered
03-18-2011, 10:05 PM

And another when Marquette gets Syracuse (assuming they win) in the seco...err, third round.

reds1869
03-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Xavier was awful in the first half and is down 13 to Marquette.

I've seen every Xavier game for the past five years, and that was by far the worst I've seen them play during that stretch. Some of it was down to the opponent (Marquette plays tough D), but that doesn't explain poor foul shooting and passes to Row Z while unguarded.

Sea Ray
03-18-2011, 10:18 PM
Tennessee was one of the best examples of a team "quitting" that I can recall in the NCAA tourney. That was embarrassing.

Exactly. Michigan didn't even have to make a free throw. You can't lose by 30 and not even send your opponent to the line if you're trying.

Sea Ray
03-18-2011, 10:19 PM

And likely Syracuse will play Marquette on Sunday

BuckeyeRed27
03-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Happy day at my house with osu and Marquette winning!

Caveat Emperor
03-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Too many offensive fouls being called in this tournament -- especially near the bucket. The NBA addressed this with the restricted area under the hoop, and college needs to adopt the same rule.

It's ridiculous when players are being tagged for charging violations by defenders setting up under the bucket and drawing charges from guys on their way down from layups. I've seen it happen at least 3 times in the past two days alone.

reds1869
03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Too many offensive fouls being called in this tournament -- especially near the bucket. The NBA addressed this with the restricted area under the hoop, and college needs to adopt the same rule.

It's ridiculous when players are being tagged for charging violations by defenders setting up under the bucket and drawing charges from guys on their way down from layups. I've seen it happen at least 3 times in the past two days alone.

I agree and almost mentioned the charge circle in the Xavier thread. It is sorely needed.

Boston Red
03-18-2011, 11:28 PM

Advantage Duke

Boston Red
03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
If they played in the SEC East, they'd have finished below Georgia.

You still got them 6th in the SEC East. :D

Scrap Irony
03-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Georgia played a wee bit better team and almost won.

Would The Dogs have played BYU, they'd have won by 15.

Gotta love that seeding.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2011, 01:29 AM
Advantage Duke

Advantage Notre Dame -- if the NCAA officials are going to call nickle-dime charging fouls every time someone flops on a dive to the hoop, it's going to play right into the hands of a team that's filled with perimeter jump shooters.

traderumor
03-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Advantage Notre Dame -- if the NCAA officials are going to call nickle-dime charging fouls every time someone flops on a dive to the hoop, it's going to play right into the hands of a team that's filled with perimeter jump shooters.I'm worried about this very thing in the OSU-George Mason game. No. 24 for GM was flopping all over the place in the Villanova game yesterday, hoping they don't give a few cheapies that gets Sullinger in foul trouble.

traderumor
03-19-2011, 07:33 AM
NC can score the points but can also give them up....

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gametracker/live/NCAAB_20110318_LIU@NCI didn't watch this game, but I'm assuming that LIU plays up tempo and did so against UNC. OTH, Brooks Thompson for UTSA disrespected his team and tried the stalling tactic against OSU and got beat by 30.

I know his argument would be "it was our only chance to win the game, that is the style that gave OSU problems this year," but that is not how they got to that point and the teams that successfully employed that strategy (NW and Wiscy) play that style of basketball.

I will never understand a coach who convinces himself that his team is better off with an entirely new strategy that they have not employed is the best strategy to win a game. They were just as likely to get beat by 30 playing their own style, but they at least had a fighting chance. I would not have been able to walk in that locker room and I would fear that he lost his players' confidence for the rest of their careers. BIG mistake.

TheBigLebowski
03-19-2011, 10:41 AM
My bracket is A DISASTER!!!!!

Sea Ray
03-19-2011, 11:30 AM
43-19 at the half. Good call, Gack. Hope this doesn't ruin your brackets. Wait - maybe I do.

Florida's the only SEC team that looked like it was worth a darn in the first rd. SEC looking incredibly weak so far. That doesn't bode well for Kentucky and Florida's chances

goreds2
03-19-2011, 02:20 PM
My bracket is A DISASTER!!!!!That is why gave up filling them out years ago.

Boston Red
03-19-2011, 02:48 PM
How would you do it? Blind draw?

Cuban_Missile
03-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Who is ready to see the OSU/UK game as long as OSU gets around George Mason?

_Sir_Charles_
03-19-2011, 04:20 PM
The best part of this Florida / UCLA game....commercial breaks. They tend to cut away to the UCLA cheerleaders. Wowsers. Most college cheerleaders are attractive, but UCLA's are ridiculously gorgeous.

TheBigLebowski
03-19-2011, 05:18 PM
WHOOOOOOO!!!! GO GATORS!!

2 SEC teams in the Sweet Sixteen....not too bad.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2011, 05:18 PM
This is the longest I've gone without losing an elite 8 team in my bracket lol

TheBigLebowski
03-19-2011, 05:47 PM
This is the longest I've gone without losing an elite 8 team in my bracket lol

Wish I could say the same. I am doing terribly.

TheBigLebowski
03-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Florida's the only SEC team that looked like it was worth a darn in the first rd. SEC looking incredibly weak so far. That doesn't bode well for Kentucky and Florida's chances

Both UF and UK had nice games today. Georgia lost but they played well....lost a hard-fought game. Vandy played with no emotion. They're always a March bust machine. Tennessee....well, that was humiliating to the conference.

Slyder
03-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Both UF and UK had nice games today. Georgia lost but they played well....lost a hard-fought game. Vandy played with no emotion. They're always a March bust machine. Tennessee....well, that was humiliating to the conference.

We had no answer to Harrellson he was doing what this team did to countless others last year dominate the boards. I was somewhat disappointed in the Istan-bull and Thoroughman's performance on d. Especially Kilichli is going to have to make huge bounds forward this winter if this team has any chance at getting back to the dance considering our roster consists of maybe 4 scholarship guys after you take the seniors off.

MWM
03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
As much as I dislike BYU, Jimmer Fredette is just sick.

Reds Fanatic
03-19-2011, 09:24 PM
Wow. What an ending for Butler and Pittsburgh. The lead changed 3 times in the last 3 seconds. Butler makes a free throw with .8 seconds left as Butler beats Pittsburgh 71-70.

VR
03-19-2011, 09:25 PM
The Butler/Pitt finish was one of the most remarkable in recent tournament history.

Chip R
03-19-2011, 09:30 PM
The Butler/Pitt finish was one of the most remarkable in recent tournament history.

Agreed. What goes through those kids' minds when they fouled? The Butler guy, I can somewhat understand but what was the Pitt kid trying to do? No way the Butler kid could get a shot off that would be anywhere close to going in.