PDA

View Full Version : Amazing wresting story.

texasdave
03-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Arizona State wrestler Anthony Robles, who was born without a right leg, became an NCAA champion Saturday night when he won his 125-pound final at the Division I Wrestling Championships Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-03-20/one-legged-wrestler-anthony-robles-wins-collegiate-championship#ixzz1HApef2pc

MWM
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, it was cool to watch. I'm one of the few people who follows college wrestling very closely and watches any of it that is on TV (there's a lot shown on the Big Ten Network). I remember watching his match last year in the semi-finals.

The guy he beat was perhaps one the top 5 wrestlers at any weight class this year. He was the national champ last year as a Freshman only losing a single match. He also lost one match only this year to the guy he beat in the semis. He'll likely go undefeated the next two years and wind up with 3 national titles. He'll dominate, much like he's done the last two years.

And for anyone else who may follow wrestling, I can't freaking believe David Taylor lost. I thought he was as close to unbeatable as anyone out there, with the exception of maybe Jordan Burroughs. I thought he was going to be the guy who matched Cael Sanderson and never lose a match in college and winning 4 national titles. I can't imagine he'll ever lose again, but catching him with a cradle is probably the only way he can be beaten.

I think Taylor is the best high school wrestler to ever come out of Ohio and will go down as one of the top 5 college wrestlers of all time, but he gave his opponent a very small opening and he took advantage. Disappointing. You could tell he had no idea what had just happened.

Dom Heffner
03-21-2011, 12:42 AM
Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2011-03-20/one-legged-wrestler-anthony-robles-wins-collegiate-championship#ixzz1HApef2pc

Gosh, I can't believe he found anyone that would wrestle him- most people's value systems don't allow for violence against handicapped people. ;)