PDA

View Full Version : Billy G hired at Texas Tech ... Bruce Pearl to be fired this afternoon ...

WMR
03-21-2011, 02:36 PM
As the CBB world turns...

Revering4Blue
03-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Billy G. + Texas Tech= Perfect fit.

Among the names tossed around for the UT job are predictably Mooney, Smart--the usual suspects--and--are you ready for this?

Lawrence Frank.

Boston Red
03-21-2011, 11:08 PM
Drunk >>>>>>> Cheat

Only Eddie Sutton could get away with being both.

bucksfan2
03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
I always thought Billy G was one heck of a basketball coach. He may have been out of his league at UK but he took A&M from a doormat to a good program.

As for UT I don't know if they will ever be able to do better than Pearl. He was a very good coach and a master motivator. It takes a lot for someone to be 3rd fiddle at a university and love it. Every time UT played a home game they played on Pat Summit court. Pearl took the UT girls program and embraced that. Its a shame it went down the way it did, but Pearl will land on his feet somewhere.

WVRed
03-23-2011, 10:54 AM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/pearl-sign.jpg

Hoosier Red
03-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Help me out WV, is there a coach named Dimond or do these guys not know how to spell?

I suppose those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

WVRed
03-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Help me out WV, is there a coach named Dimond or do these guys not know how to spell?

I suppose those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Note to Tennessee fans: "Don't ever change"

It's the latter.

PedroBourbon
03-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Hey Texas Tech, it would be in your best interest to invest in a personal driver for Billy G. (Although it wasn't fool proof while at UK!)

Unassisted
03-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Texas should go after Bruce Pearl. Rick Barnes has laid too many eggs in The Big Dance.

I heard an ESPN commentator yesterday suggesting that the ideal program-cleansing hire for Tennessee would be Bob Knight.

texasdave
03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Texas should go after Bruce Pearl. Rick Barnes has laid too many eggs in The Big Dance.

I heard an ESPN commentator yesterday suggesting that the ideal program-cleansing hire for Tennessee would be Bob Knight.

I have been thinking the same thing about Rick Barnes for a couple of years now. He minimizes all that talent that comes to Austin IMO. Okay, maybe not minimizes, but certainly he underachieves with what he has.

TheBigLebowski
03-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh, you glorious Tennessee fans....please, please...NEVER change.

WVRed
03-23-2011, 11:08 PM
I have been thinking the same thing about Rick Barnes for a couple of years now. He minimizes all that talent that comes to Austin IMO. Okay, maybe not minimizes, but certainly he underachieves with what he has.

If he were looking to jump ship, NC State would be the perfect opportunity with him a North Carolina native. Some NC St fans were calling for him but he would be nuts to go there. Whoever takes that job is going to have their hands full.

Topcat
03-25-2011, 04:15 AM
Billy G is a great hire "if off the sauce" for Tech. Kentucky was way over his head and would be forever. Wildcats basketball is a true top of the ladder place and Billy G was never going to be that.

That being said great move by Tech.

Razor Shines
03-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I have heard NC St fans that actually think they have a shot at Brad Stevens. I can't think of one reason why he would go there or anywhere similar.

Revering4Blue
03-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I have heard NC St fans that actually think they have a shot at Brad Stevens. I can't think of one reason why he would go there or anywhere similar.

I'm not sure I'd ever leave Butler if I'm Stevens, but if anyone could create a legacy at NC State along the lines of Coach K at Duke and Dean Smith at UNC, he's young enough and certainly bright enough to do so.

Nearly everything is in place for Stevens in Raleigh:

>Rabid fan base.

>Booster $$$

>Facilities. RBC Center is a state of the art Arena.

>Proximity to talent.

>Not to mention, Steven's Indiana/MIdwest recruiting base. Former coaches Everett Case and Norm Sloan routinely recruited successfully there. Stevens could land talent he can only dream about at Butler.

>Realistically, how much longer are Coach K and Roy Williams going to coach?

Maybe I'm jaded because I spent 19 years in Raleigh/Cary, but given the upgrades in facilities, I firmly believe that with the right coach in place, there is absolutely NO reason why NC State should play 3rd fiddle to the big two in triangle. None.

Where they failed 5 years ago was in not seriously considering Sean Miller for the job. He would have crawled to Raleigh for the NC State job then.

dabvu2498
03-26-2011, 12:13 AM
Allegedly, Chris Mack has turned down UT. Good for him.

BearcatShane
03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Brad Stevens is a simple guy. He's proven he can win at Butler. If Tom Crean can't rebuild IU, I could see Stevens landing there in 2-3 years.

WVRed
03-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Cuonzo Martin is the new coach at Tennessee. From Missouri state.

Who?

Chip R
03-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Cuonzo Martin is the new coach at Tennessee. From Missouri state.

Who?

He used to play for Purdue under Keady.

dabvu2498
03-27-2011, 08:33 PM
He used to play for Purdue under Keady.

With Glen Robinson, iirc. He's been paying his dues for a while. Still a bit of a surprise.

nmculbreth
03-27-2011, 09:12 PM
Allegedly, Chris Mack has turned down UT. Good for him.

As crazy as it may sound, I don't think that Tennessee is a step up from Xavier right now... It's tough to justify leaving a great situation like he has at Xavier for all of the uncertainty that is currently facing UT.

bucksfan2
03-28-2011, 08:34 AM
As crazy as it may sound, I don't think that Tennessee is a step up from Xavier right now... It's tough to justify leaving a great situation like he has at Xavier for all of the uncertainty that is currently facing UT.

It absolutely is a step up. Tennessee just has more funds and a bigger recruiting budget than X does. X is the better program right now but Tennessee has much more upside.

texasdave
03-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Dayton is needing a new hoopmeister.

Georgia Tech has picked Dayton coach Brian Gregory to rebuild its beleaguered basketball program, which fell on hard times after reaching the national championship game in 2004.
Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/03/28/georgia.tech.brian.gregory.ap/index.html#ixzz1HuGvjFZb

dabvu2498
03-28-2011, 11:17 AM
Most UD fans are pretty pleased this morning.

WVRed
03-28-2011, 01:10 PM
It absolutely is a step up. Tennessee just has more funds and a bigger recruiting budget than X does. X is the better program right now but Tennessee has much more upside.

Tennessee has some upside but you have to factor in sanctions and the fact that Tennessee will be down for awhile. If xx has a solid year next year he will be mentioned for other opportunities.

nmculbreth
03-28-2011, 01:49 PM

Tennessee may be a better program in the long run, but at this exact moment I'd rather be the coach at Xavier. Despite having all of the institutional advantages that you've outlined, the next coach at UT is going to be stuck cleaning up the mess left behind by Bruce Pearl and is likely going to have to go through a long rebuild process.

Maybe that coach will be able to get things straightened out and turn Tennessee into a great program, but what happens if the rebuilding process doesn't go smoothly and three year later you've got boosters and fans calling for your head?

If Chris Mack is looking to use Xavier as a stepping stone to a better gig, he can and should do better than UT.

WMR
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Mack going from XU to UT at this exact point in time would have been a HORRIBLE career move. Beyond horrible.

UT is in for sanctions and a big rebuild and will likely be in the cellar of the SEC for at least a couple seasons...

Mack could easily go to UT and see his stock plummet.

Stick at X, continue to build your coaching resume, and a MUCH better opportunity will present itself.

Cuonzo was hired to get them through probation, he'll likely be replaced with a bigger name once that task is complete.

bucksfan2
03-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Tennessee may be a better program in the long run, but at this exact moment I'd rather be the coach at Xavier. Despite having all of the institutional advantages that you've outlined, the next coach at UT is going to be stuck cleaning up the mess left behind by Bruce Pearl and is likely going to have to go through a long rebuild process.

Maybe that coach will be able to get things straightened out and turn Tennessee into a great program, but what happens if the rebuilding process doesn't go smoothly and three year later you've got boosters and fans calling for your head?

If Chris Mack is looking to use Xavier as a stepping stone to a better gig, he can and should do better than UT.

Sean Miller went from XU to Arizona at the beginning of a rebuilding process and damn near made the Final Four this season. Tom Crean went from the Final Four at Marquette to one of the biggest rebuilding jobs in the history of basketball at IU. Heck even Thad Matta went from XU to OSU during the period in which OSU faced some NCAA sanctions.

The issue necessarily isn't timing its more budget, salary, and facilities. XU may be a better program than UT but they don't have as much to offer. And when you go to a rebuilding job most of the time that is worked into your salary and expectations.

FWIW I don't think Mack leaves XU. I think he is in his destination job being from XU.

jimbo
03-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Most UD fans are pretty pleased this morning.

Not as many as you might think.

Hoosier Red
03-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Sean Miller went from XU to Arizona at the beginning of a rebuilding process and damn near made the Final Four this season. Tom Crean went from the Final Four at Marquette to one of the biggest rebuilding jobs in the history of basketball at IU. Heck even Thad Matta went from XU to OSU during the period in which OSU faced some NCAA sanctions.

The issue necessarily isn't timing its more budget, salary, and facilities. XU may be a better program than UT but they don't have as much to offer. And when you go to a rebuilding job most of the time that is worked into your salary and expectations.

FWIW I don't think Mack leaves XU. I think he is in his destination job being from XU.

Yeah but there's a world of difference between bringing Arizona, tOSU, and IU back to prominence and bringing Tennessee back. It's not like there's a lot of basketball history there. At least on the men's side.

nmculbreth
03-28-2011, 03:10 PM

I don't think that is an unfair point, though I'm not sure any of those situations are fair comparisons to this situation.

First and foremost, IU and Arizona are both better jobs than the one at Tennessee. Both programs are among the best in college basketball and have a far greater tradition than Tennessee. Additionally both programs are unquestionably the king of their athletic departments, unlike at UT where football and to a lesser extent women's basketball run the roost.

I think Thad Matta leaving XU for OSU is probably the best comparison, though I don't think Xavier was nearly as good of a program then as it is now.

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with reality but I just don't view UT as a plum job.

Xavier has become a really good program, they've got nice facilities and they've gotten to the point where they can compete for high level recruits with schools from the traditional power conferences. I just don't see the need for Mack to consider jumping ship any time a job comes open at a BCS school.

Sea Ray
03-28-2011, 03:17 PM

I'm surprised Tennessee even wanted Chris Mack. As a UT fan I'm glad he turned them down. I'll take my chances with Cuonzo Martin. What was his Mom thinking with that name???

I agree with WMR. UT will not only take a step back. They'll be in the cellar for awhile. I really think they were going to stick it out with Pearl until he commited another violation this year.

bucksfan2
03-28-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think that is an unfair point, though I'm not sure any of those situations are fair comparisons to this situation.

First and foremost, IU and Arizona are both better jobs than the one at Tennessee. Both programs are among the best in college basketball and have a far greater tradition than Tennessee. Additionally both programs are unquestionably the king of their athletic departments, unlike at UT where football and to a lesser extent women's basketball run the roost.

I think Thad Matta leaving XU for OSU is probably the best comparison, though I don't think Xavier was nearly as good of a program then as it is now.

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with reality but I just don't view UT as a plum job.

Xavier has become a really good program, they've got nice facilities and they've gotten to the point where they can compete for high level recruits with schools from the traditional power conferences. I just don't see the need for Mack to consider jumping ship any time a job comes open at a BCS school.

Tennessee is a pretty good gig. Just look at the funds available to the program. It isn't necessarily about the program right now its where the program can go. Its how much money is devoted to recruiting, assistant coaches, and facilities.

IU and Arizona may be different animals but IU hasn't been the same since Knight left. The program was going downhill during the Mike Davis tenure and was an utter failure with Sampson. While I still consider them a blue blood program I would put them behind OSU, MSU, Wisconsin and maybe Prudue in the Big 10 in terms of a program. It doesn't mean they can climb back up just that they aren't what they used to be.

Arizona was a dicey situation because you were replacing Lute Olsen. You really didn't know what direction that program would go with his departure. Don't get me wrong both are historically better programs, but with that said that can change with time.

Sea Ray
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
I'll be curious as to how many years Tennessee gave Martin. If you get enough years it can be a plum job. I thought Mack getting offered 8 was a lot. We'll see if Martin gets that many. My guess is Tenn decided that they had to do that in order to entice a top notch coach in light of the sanctions

WVRed
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
In other news, it looks like Matt Painter could be headed to Missouri. Didn't see that one coming at all, although it would probably be a step up paywise from Purdue. Painter being a former Purdue player leaving would be kinda shocking.

I bet Cuonzo wishes he would have waited.

Scrap Irony
03-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I cannot imagine Painter leaving Purdue for anywhere.

gilpdawg
03-28-2011, 06:44 PM
I cannot imagine Painter leaving Purdue for anywhere.

He doesn't make as much money as you would think. Money talks. That's the only reason Missouri is in play.

Sent from my Liberty using Tapatalk

Joseph
03-28-2011, 09:31 PM
Back to the orginal topic, I'd like to wish Billy Clyde the best of luck.

Revering4Blue
04-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Dayton is needing a new hoopmeister.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/03/28/georgia.tech.brian.gregory.ap/index.html#ixzz1HuGvjFZb

Dayton job tempts Oakland basketball coach Greg Kampe

http://detnews.com/article/20110401/SPORTS0203/104010339/Dayton-job-tempts-Oakland-basketball-coach-Greg-Kampe#ixzz1IJpdzajX][/url]

http://detroitnews.com/article/20110401/SPORTS0203/104010339/1133/SPORTS/Dayton-job-tempts-Oakland-basketball-coach-Greg-Kampe

Boston Red
04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Kampe's a good coach. He'd be a huge upgrade over Gregory.

dabvu2498
04-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Kampe's a good coach. He'd be a huge upgrade over Gregory.

That's what I'm thinking. Kampe would be a nice hire for them. I'd hate to play against his teams. Always very physical and rugged.

dabvu2498
04-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Also heard some other names being thrown out for the UD job: Bruiser Flint, WoJo, Bennett (St. Mary's).

Revering4Blue
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Jeff Goodman of FOX Sports is reporting that Archie Miller, Sean's younger brother, will be the next head coach at Dayton. Miller, a former N.C. State player, is currently an assistant under his brother at Arizona. He's only 32-years old.

http://coachingnewsonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=1&Itemid=35

Wow.

If Dayton didn't at least interview Kampe, they dropped the ball.

Boston Red
04-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Archie is supposed to be a rising star. So this has the potential to be a great hire for them. It's definitely risky, though.

Revering4Blue
04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Archie is supposed to be a rising star. So this has the potential to be a great hire for them. It's definitely risky, though.

I really liked him as an NC State player and I hope that he succeeds. I didn't realize he has such an impressive resume.

http://m.daytondailynews.com/dayton/db_40300/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=W21sfyMb&detailindex=1&pn=0&ps=4&full=true#display

Revering4Blue
04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
More coaching news.

After a long search to replace Jim Boylen, Utah has its man. New Jersey Nets assistant coach Larry Krystkowiak has been hired by the school. Krystkowiak is also the former head coach at Montana, from 2004-06.

Isn't Utah joining the Pac-10 next year?

Revering4Blue
04-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Tubby Smith is a guy Missouri should not hire.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1758

Ouch.

WVRed
04-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Tubby Smith is a guy Missouri should not hire.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/1758

Ouch.

Looks like they hired Frank Haith from Miami instead:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6288358

BRM
04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Shaka says no to N.C. State.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-04-04/shaka-smart-turns-down-nc-state

Revering4Blue
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
espn4d Pat Forde
Frank Haith. Nice man. Would not have hired him with Monopoly money. But we'll see.
50 minutes ago

espn4d Pat Forde
If Missouri has really hired Frank Haith, Mike Alden better have the Explanation of the Century.
1 hour ago

SethDavisHoops Seth davis
First Mike Alden flies to Florida and gets played by Matt Painter. Now he's going to introduce a coach who is 23 games under .500 in conf.

SethDavisHoops Seth davis
Miami fans dreaming of Shaka Smart can forget it. VCU is better job than Miami. Richmond fans care. Miami fans barely turn out for the Heat.

WVRed
04-05-2011, 10:23 PM
Wonder what Seth Davis and Pat Forde think of Mark Gottfried to NC State?

dabvu2498
04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Now if only someone would hire Dickie V and Lou Holtz.

Revering4Blue
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Wonder what Seth Davis and Pat Forde think of Mark Gottfried to NC State?

Can't find anything from Davis or Forde, but found these gems:

DickieV Hoop thoughts -Mark Gottfried will get after it in recruiting but has a giant mt. to climb!

"He can sell his program," said All-Star Sports recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons. "I think he's got a great eye for talent. He's very experienced, a very capable coach, he's a good teacher, he's a good motivator, and I think he's got the total package I would be looking for if I were hiring a head coach."

"He's got a really good feel for players and he's a really good recruiter and relates really well to people," Bilas said. "I think N.C. State fans are going to like him."

Rivals Recruiting Jerry Meyer on Gottfried Hire Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From a recruiting standpoint, what college has made the best hire so far this offseason?

Meyer: It is a hire that came out of left field, but N.C. State's new coach Mark Gottfried is one of the best recruiters in the business. He consistently recruited some of the top-ranked prospects in the country to Alabama. None of the other new hires blow me away as far as recruiting goes, but Gottfried can likely tap into his connections in the deep South and convince some top prospects to play for him in the ACC.

Tweet from Gregg Doyel:

Gottfried?! Courageous, outside-the-box hire by NC State. Unusual past, but he has the moxie to go right at K, Roy

cumberlandreds
04-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Miami (Fla) has hired Jim Larranaga of George Mason as head coach. That's a real shocker! I never thought Larranaga would leave George Mason. Also he's 61 and you would think he wouldn't want the pressure of ACC basketball and the recruiting that goes with it.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=850&sid=2355895 (http://www.wtop.com/?nid=850&sid=2355895)

Revering4Blue
04-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Miami (Fla) has hired Jim Larranaga of George Mason as head coach. That's a real shocker! I never thought Larranaga would leave George Mason. Also he's 61 and you would think he wouldn't want the pressure of ACC basketball and the recruiting that goes with it.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=850&sid=2355895 (http://www.wtop.com/?nid=850&sid=2355895)

Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com tweeted, "Larranga wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or... well, you get it -- choice. Haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure he's in his 60's."

Sports Illustrated's Luke Winn tweeted, "Larranaga to Miami, if it happens, is 2011's equiv of (Oliver) Purnell to DePaul. Older coach takes on worse situation for more $$.

A bit harsh, don't you think?

We all know the man can coach. If he can recruit even remotely well, he'll do fine. At the very least, he should bring the program back to the point where Leonard Hamilton had it in the late 90's. Canes fans will take that in a heartbeat.

dabvu2498
04-23-2011, 12:17 AM
Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com tweeted, "Larranga wouldn't be my 1st, 2nd, 3rd or... well, you get it -- choice. Haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty sure he's in his 60's."

Sports Illustrated's Luke Winn tweeted, "Larranaga to Miami, if it happens, is 2011's equiv of (Oliver) Purnell to DePaul. Older coach takes on worse situation for more $$.

A bit harsh, don't you think?

We all know the man can coach. If he can recruit even remotely well, he'll do fine. At the very least, he should bring the program back to the point where Leonard Hamilton had it in the late 90's. Canes fans will take that in a heartbeat.

Yes. Both Canes fans will like this. He's a very good coach. But this is a job that screams for a young, energetic type if you can't get a "name" guy.

Actually, I think it's probably a death job and very few coaches could succeed there.

WVRed
04-23-2011, 12:41 AM
Yes. Both Canes fans will like this. He's a very good coach. But this is a job that screams for a young, energetic type if you can't get a "name" guy.

Actually, I think it's probably a death job and very few coaches could succeed there.

Larranga will be gone in three years.

If I were making the call, I would have went with an all-in risk. Orlando Antigua, UK's assistant. He isn't a proven commodity, but he is hispanic and that would work in South Beach. It's not as sexy a pick as Frank Martin, but still better than Larranga.

Sea Ray
04-23-2011, 11:04 AM

I can't think of a thing about him that remotely reminds me of Leonard Hamilton. To compare those 2 kinda reminds me of those Miller Lite commercials involving another Hamilton, George, and Edgar Winter...:laugh:

Boston Red
04-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Miami's AD was apparently knocked unconscious five years ago and just woke up.

Joseph
04-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Hey now, the coach just wanted to take his 'talents to souf beach.' Wheres the harm?

cumberlandreds
04-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Another DC school is looking for a new head coach. George Washington University fired Karl Hobbs. GW just hired a new AD and apparently he wanted someone else to be mens basketeball coach. I'm not sure anyone can do any better than Hobbs did at GW. I walk up through the GW campus everyday to and from work. They have been doing a lot of work upgrading their basketball facilities. They also supposedly had a good recruiting class coming in next season. Looks like they will be starting over with someone else at the helm.

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=454&sid=2358739

WVRed
04-26-2011, 10:22 AM
Rick Pitino is supposed to announce his assistant coaches today at 12:30.

Look for someone to decommit by 1:00.

dabvu2498
04-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Another DC school is looking for a new head coach. George Washington University fired Karl Hobbs. GW just hired a new AD and apparently he wanted someone else to be mens basketeball coach. I'm not sure anyone can do any better than Hobbs did at GW. I walk up through the GW campus everyday to and from work. They have been doing a lot of work upgrading their basketball facilities. They also supposedly had a good recruiting class coming in next season. Looks like they will be starting over with someone else at the helm.

I wonder if they would take Mike Jarvis back.

cumberlandreds
04-26-2011, 10:56 AM
I wonder if they would take Mike Jarvis back.

Jarvis was at Florida Atlantic. I don't know if he's still there or not. I would imagine he wouldn't want to leave that warm weather if he is still in Florida.

dabvu2498
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Jarvis was at Florida Atlantic. I don't know if he's still there or not. I would imagine he wouldn't want to leave that warm weather if he is still in Florida.

Yeah. He's still there. They had a nice season this year by Florida Atlantic standards.

Dude can coach. I think he would have gotten it done at St. John's except that he recruited a couple of morons that forced the Johnny's to run him off.

He's more of a northeast guy and he had it going at GW back in the 90s.

RichRed
04-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Hey now, the coach just wanted to take his 'talents to souf beach.' Wheres the harm?

Larranaga is almost at the age where he's legally required to move to Florida anyway - he's just jumping the gun by a few years.

George Mason fans are pretty devastated but they're also confident that their AD will make a good hire.

Revering4Blue
04-30-2011, 04:19 PM
Ex-Ga Tech coach Hewitt takes job at George Mason.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-georgemason-hewitt

dabvu2498
05-01-2011, 10:26 PM
Larranaga is almost at the age where he's legally required to move to Florida anyway - he's just jumping the gun by a few years.

George Mason fans are pretty devastated but they're also confident that their AD will make a good hire.

And they were wrong.

dabvu2498
05-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Gary Williams retires at Maryland. Pretty underrated coach in my opinion.

Remarkable turnover in DC area this offseason.

WVRed
05-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Gary Williams retires at Maryland. Pretty underrated coach in my opinion.

Remarkable turnover in DC area this offseason.

Wow, definitely didn't see that one coming. Would have thought he would have announced it toward the end of the season.

Would it be too late for them to end up with a decent coach?

dabvu2498
05-05-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow, definitely didn't see that one coming. Would have thought he would have announced it toward the end of the season.

Would it be too late for them to end up with a decent coach?

Tough call. That's a pretty attractive job.

cumberlandreds
05-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Looks like Maryland is going to look at Jay Wright,Mike Brey and Sean Miller first. Brey may be interested. He's orginally from Bethesda. Maryland is a very good job. They have a pretty rabid fanbase and an overall good program for many years. Arguably the 3rd best job in the ACC after Duke and Carolina.

com/sports/colleges/gary-williams-retires-after-22-seasons-coaching-maryland-basketball/2011/05/05/AF2U3i2F_story.html

WVRed
05-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Looks like Maryland is going to look at Jay Wright,Mike Brey and Sean Miller first. Brey may be interested. He's orginally from Bethesda. Maryland is a very good job. They have a pretty rabid fanbase and an overall good program for many years. Arguably the 3rd best job in the ACC after Duke and Carolina.

com/sports/colleges/gary-williams-retires-after-22-seasons-coaching-maryland-basketball/2011/05/05/AF2U3i2F_story.html

I'd say Mike Brey is the most likely.

UM is close to DC and Baltimore is nearby as well. There has been some top recruits that have slipped through the cracks lately and Gary Williams, while a great coach, has completely ignored the AAU circuit aka Tubby Smith.

dabvu2498
05-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I'd say Mike Brey is the most likely.

UM is close to DC and Baltimore is nearby as well. There has been some top recruits that have slipped through the cracks lately and Gary Williams, while a great coach, has completely ignored the AAU circuit aka Tubby Smith.

Several of those DC area kids ended up at UConn, who was obviously successful with them. Successful enough to end up with NCAA sanctions. Perhaps williams was wise to stay away from the DC AAU scene.

WMR
05-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Tubby!! :lol:

Tubby wanted to go to Maryland but they didn't offer... why he chose Highpoint. (playing days)

Tubby would actually have to recruit in the ACC tho or he would get buried...

dabvu2498
05-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Great set of articles on Williams and Maryland, post-2002 National Championship.

Let's also not forget that Williams won an ACC title after these article were written.

Still, good reading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/11/AR2009021102722.html?sid=ST2009021102913

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/12/AR2009021202299.html?sid=ST2009021102913

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/02/11/ST2009021102913.html?sid=ST2009021102913

cumberlandreds
05-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Tubby!! :lol:

Tubby wanted to go to Maryland but they didn't offer... why he chose Highpoint. (playing days)

Tubby would actually have to recruit in the ACC tho or he would get buried...

IIRC, the story went that Tubby had signed to play at Maryland but they had a coaching change. Lefty Driesell was hired and he didn't want him.

Revering4Blue
05-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Source: Sean Miller, Maryland to meet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6501211

WVRed
05-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Source: Sean Miller, Maryland to meet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6501211

I was kinda surprised at first, but reading more into it I guess there are some issues between Miller and the boosters in Tucson. Add in he is originally from the east coast and it makes it that much easier.

Wonder if Pastner will be considered for Arizona if Miller decides to bolt?

Revering4Blue
05-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I was kinda surprised at first, but reading more into it I guess there are some issues between Miller and the boosters in Tucson. Add in he is originally from the east coast and it makes it that much easier.

Wonder if Pastner will be considered for Arizona if Miller decides to bolt?

According to the ESPN article, Pastner is very much in play.

Memphis coach Josh Pastner, an Arizona alumnus and one-time assistant coach, would become one of the major candidates to replace Miller if this were to occur. But a source said Byrne would look at a national search for such a high-profile position

Perusing the ESPN Arizona message boards, Pastner is clearly the preferred choice of AZ fans, even to the point of some suggesting that Pastner should have been hired ahead of Miller. They really want Pastner, believing that he will secure Miller's strong recruiting classes. I can't say that I disagree with them.

Anyway, should Miller go to MD and Pastner to AZ, is there a chance of Memphis thinking outside of the box and hiring Orlando Antiqua? I agree with you, WVRed, that Antiqua is a rising star in the coaching ranks and that he'd do well at Memphis.

dabvu2498
05-07-2011, 10:29 PM
I was out in Arizona in March and caught a couple NCAA tourney games at the McKale Center on U of A's campus. It's old. Well maintained and nice enough, but old and not sparkly and shiny at all. They do have a nice new practice facility across the way (largely paid for by funds donated by Richard Jefferson -- it's named after him), but the McKale Center itself is not so great. In fact, it struck me that they've been able to maintain a large amount of success playing in that place.

That's got to be the big bone of contention between Miller and U of A.

Revering4Blue
05-07-2011, 11:00 PM

Vermont's Mike Lonergan is the new GW coach. A solid hire IMO, but I agree with you that it's hard to top Karl Hobbs as GW coach.

WVRed
05-07-2011, 11:04 PM
According to the ESPN article, Pastner is very much in play.

Perusing the ESPN Arizona message boards, Pastner is clearly the preferred choice of AZ fans, even to the point of some suggesting that Pastner should have been hired ahead of Miller. They really want Pastner, believing that he will secure Miller's strong recruiting classes. I can't say that I disagree with them.

Anyway, should Miller go to MD and Pastner to AZ, is there a chance of Memphis thinking outside of the box and hiring Orlando Antiqua? I agree with you, WVRed, that Antiqua is a rising star in the coaching ranks and that he'd do well at Memphis.

I said I thought Antigua would do well at Miami, given he is Cuban and his Hispanic ties would work well there.

I can't see Memphis going down the Cal route if they get burned again. My guess is if Pastner leaves Memphis will hire an up and coming head coach from somewhere or a top of the line assistant from somebody not named John Calipari.

WVRed
05-08-2011, 09:53 AM
Looks like Miller is staying put.

Brad Stevens is next per ESPN. If he rejects, then Mike Brey or Jay Wright.

I'd love to see Stevens in the ACC and he could compete against Roy and K.

Revering4Blue
05-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Brad Stevens has spurned interest from Maryland, sources told FOXSports.com. Now it appears as though Mike Brey is next on the list.

Per Seth Davis tweets:

I said I'd be surprised if Sean Miller took the Maryland job. I'll be even more surprised if Mike Brey takes it. Stevens would be a shock.
4 hours ago

Tubby Smith is better possibility but that still won't be easy. Shaka and Mooney are more realistic but will prob will be none of the above.

Just a hunch..The timing may be right for Jay Wright to move on to Maryland.

WVRed
05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Brad Stevens has spurned interest from Maryland, sources told FOXSports.com. Now it appears as though Mike Brey is next on the list.

Per Seth Davis tweets:

Just a hunch..The timing may be right for Jay Wright to move on to Maryland.

If Brey doesn't take it, they need to aim lower.

The only move I see Jay Wright ever making is for the Philadelphia 76ers if that job ever comes open. He seems thoroughly entrenched in Philadelphia.

Revering4Blue
05-08-2011, 01:30 PM
According to Fox Sports’ Jeff Goodman, Notre Dame coach Mike Brey is not meeting with Terrapin athletics department officials today, or flying to College Park and is still expecting to sign an extension with Notre Dame.

The list of no-go coaches now include: Sean Miller (Arizona), Jay Wright (Villanova), Jamie Dixon (Pittsburgh), Brad Stevens (Butler) and Mike Brey (Notre Dame).

More names are likely to surface in the coming hours, but here are a few to keep an eye on (reported early on in the search): Mark Few (Gonzaga), Mark Turgeon (Texas A&M) and Tubby Smith (Minnesota).

http://terrapintrail.com/sports/2011/05/08/brey-not-meeting-with-md-search-continues/

Scrap Irony
05-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Gonzaga's Few could use the step up, and Maryland has almost always been supportive of their team. It'd be a good move, if Few thinks he could recruit the area. (Or has any contacts in that area of the country.)

Tubby would be... interesting.

cumberlandreds
05-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Looks like Miller is staying put.

Brad Stevens is next per ESPN. If he rejects, then Mike Brey or Jay Wright.

I'd love to see Stevens in the ACC and he could compete against Roy and K.

Lute Olsen has apparently taught Sean Miller well. How to use another schools opening to get yourself a raise. Olsen was a master of this.
Maryland is going to their B list. It's going to be hard to find a really good coach this late in the year. Tubby Smith would be a disaster,IMO at Maryland.

WVRed
05-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Gonzaga's Few could use the step up, and Maryland has almost always been supportive of their team. It'd be a good move, if Few thinks he could recruit the area. (Or has any contacts in that area of the country.)

Tubby would be... interesting.

Few I think is pretty happy at Gonzaga. IIRC, he has been recruited by a lot of schools in the Pac-10(12) but hasn't shown interest. Arizona and Oregon come to mind.

Lute Olsen has apparently taught Sean Miller well. How to use another schools opening to get yourself a raise. Olsen was a master of this.
Maryland is going to their B list. It's going to be hard to find a really good coach this late in the year. Tubby Smith would be a disaster,IMO at Maryland.

Agreed on Tubby. I think he might listen, but Minnesota fans are finding out what Kentucky fans already knew about Tubby. He has to recruit "his" type of players to be successful, ignores the AAU circuit, the game is starting to pass him by, and it is always his players fault because they don't execute.

Come to think of it, that sounds like Gary Williams. I'd pull for Tubby because he is a likable person and would be going against Ole Roy and Coach K twice a year, but I think he's a short term hire who would really set Maryland back.

bucksfan2
05-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Few I think is pretty happy at Gonzaga. IIRC, he has been recruited by a lot of schools in the Pac-10(12) but hasn't shown interest. Arizona and Oregon come to mind.

Not only has he shown no interest in leaving Gonzaga but he also recruits the best of the best. Maryland also has its work cut out for them. I really don't see how much of an upgrade they are over Gonzaga, Arizona, Notre Dame, etc.

Agreed on Tubby. I think he might listen, but Minnesota fans are finding out what Kentucky fans already knew about Tubby. He has to recruit "his" type of players to be successful, ignores the AAU circuit, the game is starting to pass him by, and it is always his players fault because they don't execute.

Come to think of it, that sounds like Gary Williams. I'd pull for Tubby because he is a likable person and would be going against Ole Roy and Coach K twice a year, but I think he's a short term hire who would really set Maryland back.

Minnesota is a low stress program. They allow him to recruit "his type of player". They aren't a program that is driven by championship dreams. He has already been in the pressure cooker and I think he enjoys being out of it.

Revering4Blue
05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Maryland has offered its basketball coaching job to Texas A&M's Mark Turgeon, Comcast SportsNet's Chick Hernandez has confirmed. Furthermore, Hernandez reports that Turgeon is meeting with his Aggies team tonight.

The offer to Turgeon was first reported by Jeff Goodman of FOXSports.com. Goodman, who broke the news that Gary Williams was retiring, tweeted the following: "Sources told FOXSports.com Mark Turgeon is leaning towards accepting Maryland job - although it looked that way with Sean Miller as well."

http://www.csnwashington.com/05/09/11/Turgeon-about-to-take-Terps-job/landing.html?blockID=519591&feedID=6458

Revering4Blue
05-14-2011, 12:08 PM
COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne's list of basketball coaching candidates appears to be down to two - Murray State's Billy Kennedy and Northern Iowa's Ben Jacobson - after former Rockets coach and current ESPN analyst Jeff Van Gundy apparently said no thanks Friday.

Read more: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/texasam/7564535.html#ixzz1MLMYDaQG

cumberlandreds
05-16-2011, 11:12 AM
A & M hired Murray's coach Billy Kennedy.

Chip R
05-16-2011, 12:45 PM
A & M hired Murray's coach Billy Kennedy.

Thank goodness. I was getting pretty worried Jacobson was gonna get the job.

Unassisted
05-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Pearl may end up in the NBA's D-League: Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_bruce_pearl_d_league_maine_coach_05201 1) that the D-League's Maine Red Claws are "courting" Pearl for their head-coaching job.

Chip R
05-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Pearl may end up in the NBA's D-League: Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wojnarowski_bruce_pearl_d_league_maine_coach_05201 1) that the D-League's Maine Red Claws are "courting" Pearl for their head-coaching job.

Free lobster!