PDA

View Full Version : Last 2 Outfielders

VottoFan54
03-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Taken from ORG 5th outfielder poll assuming Stubbs, Gomes, and Bruce make the roster who do you think should make the roster between Hermida, Lewis, Heisey, and Sappelt? Select two players.

OGB
03-22-2011, 06:49 PM
If Sappelt isn't going to start up here, I want him playing every day in Louisville.

texasdave
03-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Wrong thread. Oops.

Kiss the Baby00
03-22-2011, 07:21 PM
If Sappelt isn't going to start up here, I want him playing every day in Louisville.

Let him start in LF plzzzz

mu4103
03-23-2011, 12:16 AM
Heisey and Hermida. Lewis has shown me nothing in his past or present that says he deserves a roster spot over the tremendous Hermida upside,

jt4prez
03-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Heisey and Hermida. Lewis has shown me nothing in his past or present that says he deserves a roster spot over the tremendous Hermida upside,

I'm not really sure about Hermida's tremendous upside. He is 27 yrs. old and has had one good season, with the last three being well below average. Hermida looks to be, at best, a serviceable backup at this point in his career.

In terms of the OF positions I believe Sappelt needs to play everyday, and the only way that happens is in AAA, which leaves Chris Heisey, Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida as the only candidates left. With regard to the 4th OF spot, Heisey is the obvious choice as he performed well last year at the plate and also showed tremendous defensive versatility, possessing the ability to play all 3 OF positions. The real battle is between Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida for the 5th OF spot, with my choice being Fred Lewis. Lewis has been far more consistent over his career, performing above replacement level in every year he's been in the majors. Also, Lewis, over his career, has been much better against RHP than has Hermida, which is, quite frankly, all that we need a 5th OF for. Defense is a wash between the two, with both being average defenders. In terms of speed, Lewis has the obvious advantage and could be called on to pinch run on days where Heisey is starting. It seems pretty clear cut to me, although Dusty always keeps us guessing.

Vottomatic
03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I wasn't that excited about signing Lewis and Hermida anyway. On a good day, Lewis is average at best. Hermida has had one good season.

Why does this organization continue to look past guys like Heisey and Sappelt?

DirtyBaker
03-23-2011, 02:40 PM
I voted Heisey and Lewis. Heisey was the only shoe-in for me, and I was tempted to make Sappelt the 5th OF but the main concern I have is that Sappelt wouldn't have many at-bats as a 5th outfielder. If Sappelt is as good as advertised, I don't want him getting rusty on the bench, I want him to be ready to start in 2012.

I put Lewis over Hermida because Lewis has put up slightly better numbers over the last 2 years. Lewis has 925 big league at-bats from the leadoff position compared to Hermida's 0. That may not mean much if Stubbs gets comfortable leading off, but it's nice insurance from your 5th OFer.

brm7675
03-23-2011, 03:57 PM
I wasn't that excited about signing Lewis and Hermida anyway. On a good day, Lewis is average at best. Hermida has had one good season.

Dusty Baker

mu4103
03-23-2011, 07:29 PM
I'm not really sure about Hermida's tremendous upside. He is 27 yrs. old and has had one good season, with the last three being well below average. Hermida looks to be, at best, a serviceable backup at this point in his career.

In terms of the OF positions I believe Sappelt needs to play everyday, and the only way that happens is in AAA, which leaves Chris Heisey, Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida as the only candidates left. With regard to the 4th OF spot, Heisey is the obvious choice as he performed well last year at the plate and also showed tremendous defensive versatility, possessing the ability to play all 3 OF positions. The real battle is between Fred Lewis and Jeremy Hermida for the 5th OF spot, with my choice being Fred Lewis. Lewis has been far more consistent over his career, performing above replacement level in every year he's been in the majors. Also, Lewis, over his career, has been much better against RHP than has Hermida, which is, quite frankly, all that we need a 5th OF for. Defense is a wash between the two, with both being average defenders. In terms of speed, Lewis has the obvious advantage and could be called on to pinch run on days where Heisey is starting. It seems pretty clear cut to me, although Dusty always keeps us guessing.

I'm only saying that when Hermida was coming up he was one of the top prospects in baseball. He never seemed to put it together in Florida, but a change of scenery and some hard work could change a lot of things. So I am talking about his prospected potential coming up - not what he did in the majors.

Larkin88
03-23-2011, 07:44 PM

I don't necessarily agree with you here. I agree that Hermida and Lewis are both are both just slightly above replacement level players, but I think that is just the point.

With the talent Sappelt has shown, it developmentally makes more sense to land him with an almost daily outing in the outfield. He just isn't going to get that on the squad yet. I don't think it's a slight to him, in fact quite the opposite.

Guys like Hermida and Lewis, unless they perform to prove otherwise, are stopgaps to allow young players to get regular practice until they can replace them. The organization has developed young talent pretty well lately. Also, Heisey got a good look last year and likely will again this year, so I really don't agree with you on him.

CelticFC
03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Dusty Baker likes Gomes way to much to let Sappelt get ample playing time, he needs to start in AAA. Heisey and Lewis were my choices, although I think Lewis and Hermida are average at best.

Nathan
03-24-2011, 12:43 AM
I'm only saying that when Hermida was coming up he was one of the top prospects in baseball. He never seemed to put it together in Florida, but a change of scenery and some hard work could change a lot of things. So I am talking about his prospected potential coming up - not what he did in the majors.

Last year was the killer for him, and he didn't play in FL. He was in Boston and Oakland. That tells me it's more than a "change of scenery" with him. It tells me he just isn't an effective every day player.

malcontent
03-24-2011, 01:29 AM
I really feel that having Stubbs lead off is going to prove a disaster.

Lewis could have succeeded in that role, but for whatever reason, Baker doesn't want him there.

Girevik
03-24-2011, 08:43 AM
I think Heisey is a given, and I'd rather see Sappelt get regular PT in AAA than have to lose a guy for him to get spot duty in Cincy.

Too me it's a toss up between Hermidia and Lewis for the other spot. I think you'll likely lose the one you don't bring up, so I guess I'd go with whichever the organization has the best upside.

Although I am half afriad that Lewis and Hermidia will both make it because Heisey could be sent down....

Old NDN
03-24-2011, 11:03 AM
I understand the rationale of letting Sappelt play at L'ville. OTOH, The Reds allowed Heisey to be the part-time guy last year, and that worked out pretty well. I know Heisey had a little more minor league "expereience" than Sappelt. I just think the potential of what Sappelt could bring is much more than Lewis or Hermida. Let him learn here. If it doesn't work, send him down. Losing Lewis and/or Hermida is worth the gamble,IMO.

jrandal9
03-24-2011, 11:12 AM
I have not been impressed with Hermida or Lewis. Hermida seems like another Gomes minus the intensity we all love. I want some defense in LF, just seems like we have always had error prone LF going back to The Big Donkey. I'm tired of seeing mildly difficult balls that should be caught get by our LF. Cost us a few games last year and I really do not want to see us lose anymore due to the lack of defense in left. Although I like Sappelt and think he will be great, Heisey deserves a shot in Left with gomes on the bench. Sappelt will get his turn but for now go to AAA and rake!

lonewolf371
03-24-2011, 11:21 AM
Sappelt only has 3 professional seasons. He only has 115 PA at AAA and he didn't dominate the competition to a level that necessitates promotion. His strikeout rate was low, but he didn't walk hardly at all and had a ridiculous BABIP. Sure, he looks great now, but my suspicion is that if the Reds kept him up at MLB full-time that MLB pitchers would figure him out quickly and make him look silly enough to be sent back to the minors.

I'd rather have a veteran that has more experience with late-game situations to throw out there against the relievers than someone who may not be ready. Right now between Hermida and Lewis, Hermida seems to have "won" the job. They've gotten on base at an average rate over their careers, Lewis with slightly more consistency and Hermida with slightly more power. I'd rather have one of those two.

If Sappelt produces a Jay Bruce level AAA line at Louisville then call him up in May or June.

Heisey, to me, is a given. He didn't dominate AAA in his time down there and may be able to lower his strikeout rate, but that's about it. The Heisey we had last year is pretty much what Heisey is.

brm7675
03-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Sappelt only has 3 professional seasons. He only has 115 PA at AAA and he didn't dominate the competition to a level that necessitates promotion. His strikeout rate was low, but he didn't walk hardly at all and had a ridiculous BABIP. Sure, he looks great now, but my suspicion is that if the Reds kept him up at MLB full-time that MLB pitchers would figure him out quickly and make him look silly enough to be sent back to the minors.

I'd rather have a veteran that has more experience with late-game situations to throw out there against the relievers than someone who may not be ready. Right now between Hermida and Lewis, Hermida seems to have "won" the job. They've gotten on base at an average rate over their careers, Lewis with slightly more consistency and Hermida with slightly more power. I'd rather have one of those two.

If Sappelt produces a Jay Bruce level AAA line at Louisville then call him up in May or June.

Heisey, to me, is a given. He didn't dominate AAA in his time down there and may be able to lower his strikeout rate, but that's about it. The Heisey we had last year is pretty much what Heisey is.

Sappelt isn't Jay Bruce, so to expect him to produce on that level anywhere is just wrong. The question isn't is he another Jay Bruce, but is he better right now then what we have in LF and sorry but I believe that answer is yes.

brm7675
03-24-2011, 04:45 PM

And that Heisey is a better option then Lewis, Gomes or JH, but not according to the Dustmister..:confused:

Girevik
03-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Let him learn here. If it doesn't work, send him down. Losing Lewis and/or Hermida is worth the gamble,IMO.

Okay, but if you let Lewis and Hermidia go (assuming both Heisey and Sappelt make the team), who do you bring up if you decide it's not working?

Kingspoint
03-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Okay, but if you let Lewis and Hermidia go (assuming both Heisey and Sappelt make the team), who do you bring up if you decide it's not working?

There's only about 25 choices to choose from.

lonewolf371
03-24-2011, 11:08 PM
Sappelt isn't Jay Bruce, so to expect him to produce on that level anywhere is just wrong. The question isn't is he another Jay Bruce, but is he better right now then what we have in LF and sorry but I believe that answer is yes.
That's debatable, whether he's better right now than what we have. He's had a good spring. Needs to show this over the long haul.

If he's still hitting anywhere close to this by mid-May then call him up. It's a no-risk proposition.

Old NDN
03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
With Dusty announcing that Fransisco will get a look in the OF, things could get interesting. A LH bat that could fill in at 3B, 1B, and OF? Now if they could just figure out how to get him to make contact......

malcontent
03-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Francisco will prove to be as adept in the OF as Alonso.

Lewis has been the rather obvious answer for LF and lead-off.

And I'm sure he could also back up Stubbs in CF (though only Heisey can according to Baker).

urdun
03-26-2011, 04:46 AM
Last year was the killer for him, and he didn't play in FL. He was in Boston and Oakland. That tells me it's more than a "change of scenery" with him. It tells me he just isn't an effective every day player.

he is a lh flyball pull hitter with good not great power and played in 3 places not really ideal for that. cincy is ideal for just that.