PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on Greg Anderson covering for Barry Bonds

Blitz Dorsey
03-23-2011, 10:44 AM
I never liked Bonds (didn't hate him like some, but didn't like him) but for some reason I respect the heck out of what Greg Anderson has done (and continues to do). The man goes to prison for 14 months because he refused to snitch on a friend he knew since elementary school. And now he might have to go to prison again.

In a world overloaded with wussies, Greg Anderson is a dying breed. Now that's loyalty. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying that. ("How can you defend a criminal?") But I'm very impressed and surprised with the loyalty that Anderson has shown Bonds. Most people in his situation would have caved long ago.

Always Red
03-23-2011, 10:48 AM
And apparently, when they were in the courtroom together for a few minutes the other day, Bonds turned his head and would not look at him.

Not sure what that means, but it's something.

I think is a gigantic waste of taxpayer money during a time when there is supposedly no money.

Barry Bonds? eh, that was so yesterday, wasn't it??

Eric_the_Red
03-23-2011, 10:52 AM
I wonder if Anderson is truly doing this due to his friendship, or if Bonds has promised him the world if he keeps his mouth shut. Bonds doesn't seem like the type of guy that would have many loyal friends, but he sure is rich.

camisadelgolf
03-23-2011, 11:08 AM
And apparently, when they were in the courtroom together for a few minutes the other day, Bonds turned his head and would not look at him.

Not sure what that means, but it's something.

I think is a gigantic waste of taxpayer money during a time when there is supposedly no money.

Barry Bonds? eh, that was so yesterday, wasn't it??
That's a romantic ideal, and I hope that's what is going on, but my gut is telling me that Anderson is worried that if he snitches on specific players, they will start to snitch on him and reveal that he was up to a lot more than he has been accused of.

RedsManRick
03-23-2011, 11:21 AM
I wonder if Anderson is truly doing this due to his friendship, or if Bonds has promised him the world if he keeps his mouth shut. Bonds doesn't seem like the type of guy that would have many loyal friends, but he sure is rich.

I've seen this suggested in more than one place. Bonds has more money than time. Anderson has more time than money. Bonds says, "do the right thing by me and I'll do the right thing by you".

The other angle could be that Bonds is Anderson's only hope. If he "snitches" on Bonds, who hires him?

Sea Ray
03-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't like it. Our system depends upon people testifying truthfully. I would have no problem testifying the truth, the whole truth and nothing but and let the pieces fall where they may. Let's hope Bonds is found guilty anyway despite this guy's obstruction. I would hate to think Bonds could walk just because he's got enough money to buy a buddy's silence. No one should celebrate that

oneupper
03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
One guy clams up so another won't go to jail for lying.
Hard to see how "justice" can come out of that kind of situation.

Raisor
03-23-2011, 02:56 PM
I never liked Bonds (didn't hate him like some, but didn't like him) but for some reason I respect the heck out of what Greg Anderson has done (and continues to do). The man goes to prison for 14 months because he refused to snitch on a friend he knew since elementary school. And now he might have to go to prison again.

In a world overloaded with wussies, Greg Anderson is a dying breed. Now that's loyalty. I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying that. ("How can you defend a criminal?") But I'm very impressed and surprised with the loyalty that Anderson has shown Bonds. Most people in his situation would have caved long ago.

Omertà is a code of silence and secrecy that forbids mafiosi from betraying their comrades to the authorities. The penalty for transgression is death, and relatives of the turncoat may also be murdered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sicilian_Mafia#Omert.C3.A0

cumberlandreds
03-23-2011, 02:57 PM
I'm sure Bonds is taking care of Anderson very well. The reason he ignored him is to not make anything too obvious even though it is. Anderson is obstructing justice pure and simple. If they could ever show the bread crumbs to Bonds money that is keeping him quiet he would be in even more trouble. About all justice can do here is keep him locked up for whatever time is allowed by law and hope he comes to his senses.

reds44
03-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Question for people who are smarter than me:

Doesn't Anderson have the right to pleade the 5th? Or does that not apply here?

Homer Bailey
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM

I believe you spelled it wrong. This is how this guy pleads it:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l87aeaU8rr1qzp5buo1_400.jpg

edabbs44
03-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I believe you spelled it wrong. This is how this guy pleads it:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l87aeaU8rr1qzp5buo1_400.jpg

Beat me to it. Damn.

Roy Tucker
03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
Maybe its just me, but I don't think Anderson's loyalty is a thing that warrants admiring.

I'll give it a certain amount of admission that its a difficult thing to do, but it doesn't get my respect or esteem or approval.

membengal
03-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I've seen this suggested in more than one place. Bonds has more money than time. Anderson has more time than money. Bonds says, "do the right thing by me and I'll do the right thing by you".

The other angle could be that Bonds is Anderson's only hope. If he "snitches" on Bonds, who hires him?

Eh...not sure who's gonna hire him in his chosen field now as it stands, snitch or no snitch. He's kinda toxic, no?

Mario-Rijo
03-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Yeah kind of a "I'll scratch your back if you don't make mine itch".

Slyder
03-23-2011, 05:48 PM

That only is afforded if what you have to say could incriminate yourself in something. It does not hold if you have been subpeonad (sp?) to testify in a case that you yourself are not on trial for.

Raisor
03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
It does not hold if you have been subpeonad (sp?) to testify in a case that you yourself are not on trial for.

That's not true. If you are testifying in a case, anything you say can be used against you in another case unless you have immunity.

Slyder
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
That's not true. If you are testifying in a case, anything you say can be used against you in another case unless you have immunity.

Is he under investigation for anything? I didnt think he was. *Note I could very easily be wrong*.

Sea Ray
03-24-2011, 10:25 AM
I assume Greg Anderson has been granted immunity but I must admit, I can't find any proof of that. If he hasn't been granted immunity then I don't see how they can compel him to testify. Anyone know if he's been granted immunity?

Blitz Dorsey
03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm sure he has been granted immunity and that's why according to the authorities he has no excuse for not ratting out Bonds. So, he couldn't plead the Fifth.

He has immunity, still refuses to testify ... and that's why he's already served more than a year in prison and might be going back. If he could just plead the Fifth, he would have done that.

RedsBaron
03-24-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm sure he has been granted immunity and that's why according to the authorities he has no excuse for not ratting out Bonds. So, he couldn't plead the Fifth.

He has immunity, still refuses to testify ... and that's why he's already served more than a year in prison and might be going back. If he could just plead the Fifth, he would have done that.

I assume he has immunity.
I have no admiration at all for Anderson. :thumbdown

cincrazy
03-24-2011, 06:31 PM
If Bonds would do the same for him, it's admirable. I know many friends I'd fall on a sword for.

However, knowing the kind of guy Bonds is, does anyone REALLY think Bonds would do this for Anderson? Because I doubt it. So in my opinion, and only my opinion, I think Anderson is a moron. The guy is throwing away his life to protect a self-righteous fool.

BoydsOfSummer
03-24-2011, 06:56 PM
I did notice Barry's incredible shrinking head.

RFS62
03-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Maybe its just me, but I don't think Anderson's loyalty is a thing that warrants admiring.

I'll give it a certain amount of admission that its a difficult thing to do, but it doesn't get my respect or esteem or approval.

I assume he has immunity.
I have no admiration at all for Anderson. :thumbdown

How sad that it's even in question.

The age of the anti-hero in literature and film has certainly influenced the sensibilities of many in our society.

Things have changed, and not for the better. It's not whether it's right or wrong, it's whether you can get away with it.

He needs to go right back to prison and sit there a while, a loyal minion to his master.

What a great example for us all to live by.

And the saddest thing of all is the respect he's getting from so many normal, law abiding citizens.

jojo
03-26-2011, 09:18 AM
The value of convicting Bonds is utterly dwarfed by the effort and resources it's taken just to get this mess to trial IMHO.

If this trial were actually about perjury and not egos maybe the notion that the Feds are acting out of a need to preserve the sanctity of our legal system would be more believable. I'm having trouble seeing any heros in this saga and I understand why some might count Anderson's actions which seem to be driven by loyalty as the most admirable part of this mess.

Sea Ray
03-26-2011, 10:04 AM
The value of convicting Bonds is utterly dwarfed by the effort and resources it's taken just to get this mess to trial IMHO.

If this trial were actually about perjury and not egos maybe the notion that the Feds are acting out of a need to preserve the sanctity of our legal system would be more believable. I'm having trouble seeing any heros in this saga and I understand why some might count Anderson's actions which seem to be driven by loyalty as the most admirable part of this mess.

What's admirable about saving a liar?

jojo
03-26-2011, 10:32 AM
What's admirable about saving a liar?

Clearly I suggested that it's understandable how someone might look at this whole mess and key on an apparent display of loyalty despite grave consequences when trying to find something good about this saga.

Not really sure where the confusion is regarding that position....

oneupper
03-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Prosecuting people who commit crimes is the right thing to do.
The fact it may be difficult or costly to do so, especially with high-profiled defendants, reflects that the system is flawed, not the concept.

jojo
03-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Prosecuting people who commit crimes is the right thing to do.

That would be a more compelling standard to apply to this case IMHO if this particular crime was treated with similar vigor throughout the judicial system. Clearly prosecutors pick and choose when its the right thing to do.

Sea Ray
03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Clearly I suggested that it's understandable how someone might look at this whole mess and key on an apparent display of loyalty despite grave consequences when trying to find something good about this saga.

Not really sure where the confusion is regarding that position....

It's understandable but I don't see much that's admirable. Everyone needs to respect the law and don't lie when questioned by an authority figure. You gotta really dig to find something good here.

I see this as akin to someone going to jail to avoid testifying against a buddy in a drug beef with the justification that drugs should be legal anyway.

Sea Ray
03-26-2011, 11:51 AM
That would be a more compelling standard to apply to this case IMHO if this particular crime was treated with similar vigor throughout the judicial system. Clearly prosecutors pick and choose when its the right thing to do.

Prosecutors will always have to pick and choose. That's part of the system and it ain't goin' away. Cops pick and choose who to pull over for speeding and the IRS pick and choose who to audit.

I don't have any sympathy for Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens. If you want to avoit taking the chance that the prosecutor will choose your case to make a point, don't do the crime in the first place.

Win or lose, I'm glad Bonds has had to go through this

jojo
03-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Prosecutors will always have to pick and choose. That's part of the system and it ain't goin' away. Cops pick and choose who to pull over for speeding and the IRS pick and choose who to audit.

I don't have any sympathy for Barry Bonds or Roger Clemens. If you want to avoit taking the chance that the prosecutor will choose your case to make a point, don't do the crime in the first place.

Win or lose, I'm glad Bonds has had to go through this

I don't think anyone has argued that Bonds is a sympathetic figure though I certainly can see how someone might consider Anderson to be a sympathetic figure.

That said, i've seen estimates of the cost of this mess to be between $10M and $50M (that's gotta be a gross overestimate?). That's a prosecutorial budget on steroids IMHO and it's tough to justify the resources being used in an effort to get Bonds a 6 month jail term especially given prosecutors pick and choose.

Orenda
03-26-2011, 12:55 PM
It's understandable but I don't see much that's admirable. Everyone needs to respect the law and don't lie when questioned by an authority figure. You gotta really dig to find something good here.

I see this as akin to someone going to jail to avoid testifying against a buddy in a drug beef with the justification that drugs should be legal anyway.

I don't really care if Bonds used steroids because I don't worship athletes. I just enjoy watching good baseball players.

The larger issue for me is, should Barry Bonds and Greg Anderson be allowed to freely choose what they put into their own body or should we live in a nanny state society where authority comes from mob rule.

I think Bonds and a lot of other baseball players were cheaters, they weren't criminals.

Eric_the_Red
03-26-2011, 07:01 PM
I don't really care if Bonds used steroids because I don't worship athletes. I just enjoy watching good baseball players.

The larger issue for me is, should Barry Bonds and Greg Anderson be allowed to freely choose what they put into their own body or should we live in a nanny state society where authority comes from mob rule.

I think Bonds and a lot of other baseball players were cheaters, they weren't criminals.

He isn't on trial for using steroids. He is on trial for lying to federeal investigators under oath about using steroids.

oneupper
03-27-2011, 09:50 AM
That said, i've seen estimates of the cost of this mess to be between $10M and $50M (that's gotta be a gross overestimate?). That's a prosecutorial budget on steroids IMHO and it's tough to justify the resources being used in an effort to get Bonds a 6 month jail term especially given prosecutors pick and choose.

I've been following the Allen Stanford case and the cost of his defense is supposedly up to around $60 million already (none of which has been paid by him, mostly Lloyds of London). I'm not buying that number, but it has been costly (he's gone through 4 defense teams already).

I'd be wary of these estimates. You don't know what they throw in there.

MWM
03-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Ha! I bet you're "following" the Allen Stanford case. :)

Sea Ray
03-27-2011, 07:58 PM
I don't think anyone has argued that Bonds is a sympathetic figure though I certainly can see how someone might consider Anderson to be a sympathetic figure.

You came the closest to calling Bonds a sympathetic figure when you referred to Anderson's actions of loyalty to him to be admirable. As for Anderson I'm not sympathetic to him for withholding information to keep a liar from getting convicted for that very crime.

If you're saying that the gov't spent too much money on the case, you've got a good point

Sea Ray
03-27-2011, 08:04 PM

What you think about the law is not important in this case. I doubt you'll be called to testify on that matter. In fact this trial is not about breaking the law on taking steroids. It's about perjury, lying to authorities. I don't think any of us should condone that.

Orenda
03-27-2011, 09:11 PM
What you think about the law is not important in this case. I doubt you'll be called to testify on that matter. In fact this trial is not about breaking the law on taking steroids. It's about perjury, lying to authorities. I don't think any of us should condone that.

My opinion is only important in that I disagree with the law and if more people felt the same way there is less probability that such a law would even exist let alone be complied with.

For the record, I'm not a Barry Bonds fan but this whole situation is a farce IMO. First of all those authorities you respect so much are using resources to make an example out of a man whose accused illegal activity only harmed himself. Who is the victim in this case? Others have already raised the question as to whether this is an appropriate use of taxpayer revenue so I'll just leave it that. But I don't doubt that you wouldn't agree that this whole thing is a battle between two groups of grandstanding egomaniacs.

As far as lying to federal prosecutors, when you have special interests influencing laws and lawmakers who are less than up-front about the influence a law will have I find it a bit hypocritical to be outraged over someone allegedly doing the same thing to them in a case as minor as this one.

I've read some accounts that law enforcement officials are among some of the most prevalent steroid users. If that helps them in their job dealing with those who are actually out to cause harm to others than more power to them.

Sea Ray
03-27-2011, 10:09 PM
As far as lying to federal prosecutors, when you have special interests influencing laws and lawmakers who are less than up-front about the influence a law will have I find it a bit hypocritical to be outraged over someone allegedly doing the same thing to them in a case as minor as this one.

I'm ignoring everything in your post that has anything to do with steroids as that is not what's on trial here. Lying under oath is the only law on trial here. Do you want that law repealed? Do you think it should be lawful to lie under oath?

It's really quite simple. When Barry Bonds said under oath he was not taking steroids, was he telling the truth? If he knew he was taking them, then he is guilty. I don't know where there's room here for these special interests you're mentioning or influence over a law. Unless you don't like the law that states lying under oath is a federal crime then I don't know what point you're trying to make

REDREAD
03-28-2011, 11:21 AM

There's clearly a perception now among some folks that it's ok to lie in court as long as you get away with it. Several high profile cases have reinforced that people can get away with it.
The best way to damage this perception is to go after the high profile people that are commiting purgery.. If Bonds and a few other high profile people get busted for lying in court, maybe then the common person will not take it so lightly.

The Feds are in a spot where they can't let this go now.. Everyone knows that Bonds used steroids and did it knowingly and lied about it under oath.. If they don't go after him, the legal system becomes an even bigger joke than it already is.