PDA

View Full Version : It's only spring?

UPRedsFan
03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
I know, I know, it's only spring. But with a week left I'm now starting to really worry about this team.

Here are my top 10 worries. Someone please convince me it's only spring and these are nothing to worry about.

1. Volquez starts opening day and he got a late start and doesn't appear ready (5 walks the other day?)

2. Cueto

3. Leake looks like he needs to go to Louisville for sure. I'd feel better about Maloney or even Lecure at this point.

4. Homer hasn't looked dominant yet. Give me one good start and I'll feel better about him.

5. Arroyo has been sick and may not be ready

6. Stubbs is leading the world in striking out and he's our lead off man?

7. Gomes is picking up where he left off in the 2nd half

8. Lewis was signed and will make the team because he has a contract and hits left handed, but he's clearly struggling.

9. Meanwhile, the hottest hitter is ticketed for Louisville (it appears)

10. Feeling less confident about the bullpen then I was before spring started.

Stray
03-23-2011, 01:02 PM
I think there are definitely reasons to worry but every contender in the division has a bit of health issues in their rotation. We just need to get a few quality starts out of someone till Cueto can get back.

Volquez's inability to throw strikes is scary and I realllllllllly hope this is just a spring training thing. We're going to really need him this year. And I agree, I think Leake needs to start out in Louisville.

goreds2
03-23-2011, 01:56 PM
Austin Kearns always had Babe Ruth stats in spring training.......

DirtyBaker
03-23-2011, 02:22 PM
While I can't disagree with anything the OP is saying, this team is 14-10 in spite of all that.

Not everything is going to look good on a micro level, but this is the same team that found a way to win dispite a lot of ups and downs and that was without Chapman and Volquez for a full year.

TheOnlyRedsFan
03-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Stubbs strikes out a lot but he is still pretty productive elsewhere. His defense is great, he has speed, he has power. Its not like he is Dunn out there.

mroby85
03-27-2011, 12:57 AM
While I can't disagree with anything the OP is saying, this team is 14-10 in spite of all that.

Not everything is going to look good on a micro level, but this is the same team that found a way to win dispite a lot of ups and downs and that was without Chapman and Volquez for a full year.

Just to play devils advocate, they're also without Arthur Rhodes this year, and there is no way Chapman could possibly be more effective than Arthur was last year, so that seems like a wash to me. The most concerning thing is clearly the starting rotation. Arroyo may make his starts, but will he be effective with mono? Cueto, and Bailey are out for a couple starts, but so was Edinson before being out for a couple months, and then a couple years. I'm always hesitant to trust their medical analysis because it seems like they either cover things up, or don't know what they're doing. I've thought Gomes/Rolen is a concern coming into a new season since last year. Gomes had a couple good months, just have to hope he can repeat that again this year. Rolen is a concern from a health standpoint. It's easy to picture this thing completely collapsing, that being said this team is A LOT better than ones we've had hope for in the past, that really had no shot at contending at all, and we were just wearing our rosey red sunglasses hoping that somehow they could. At any rate, can't wait until Thursday!