PDA

View Full Version : A theoretical question

The DARK
03-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Hey, I'm new. I recently moved back to the hometown of my parents, Cincinnati, and fell in love with this team (sorry Bengals, you had your chance). Read these forums often, and figured that as much time as I spend watching, I might as well join!

So, if you could only start one team (assume no injuries or callups) for 2011 in the NL Central, would you prefer the Pittsburgh Pirates or the projected Louisville Bats?

Bats:
CF Dave Sappelt
SS Zack Cozart
1B Yonder Alonso
LF Juan Francisco
3B Todd Frazier
RF Jeremy Hermida
2B Chris Valaika
C Devin Mesoraco

Corky Miller
Danny Dorn
Eric Eymann/Mike Costanzo
Michael Griffin

SP Mike Leake
SP Matt Maloney
SP Sam Lecure
SP Matt Klinker
SP Chad Reineke

RP Dontrelle Willis
RP Carlos Fisher
RP Jordan Smith
RP Daniel Ray Herrera
RP Philippe Valiquette
RP Jerry Gil
RP Jeremy Horst
RP Darryl Thompson

Pirates: http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010/11/pittsburgh-pirates-2011-25-man-roster.html?wpmp_switcher=mobile

dougdirt
03-25-2011, 12:26 AM
Pirates.... but not by much.

redsof72
03-25-2011, 12:46 PM
I remember only one Reds team in the last 40 years that had a prospect at every positon in Triple-A. Most did not reach the level that the Reds hoped or reached it with someone else, but they were all 40-man guys thought to be the next generation of Reds.

Indianapolis Indians circa 1981

OF Paul Householder, Eddie Milner, Duane Walker (Gary Redus was right behind). Three of the four became big league regulars, though somewhat briefly in the case of Householder.

3B Nick Esasky. Became solid big league regular.
SS Tom Foley. Became long time utility man with other clubs.
2B German Barranca/Tom Lawless. Barranca was a back up briefly. Lawless was right behind and became a back-up in bigs, had one brief moment of glory with HR in '87 Series for Cardinals.
1B Skeeter Barnes. Long career as a pinch hitter.
C Dave Van Gorder. Sold to fans as next Johnny Bench. Huge bust but had short big league career.

Pitching staff also had numerous prospects who had big league careers including Charlie Leibrandt (long career), Bill Dawley (decent career), Jeff Lahti (decent career). The previous year, there were many other pitching prospects who jumped to the bigs in '81 like Bruce Berenyi, Joe Price, Jay Howell, Larry Rothschild. All those guys had big league careers.

It was a whole team of prospects, just like the 2010-11 Bats. Esasky and Howell probably had the best careers, but not with the Reds.

There has been nothing close to this on a Reds Triple-A roster since then, until last year and now.

Scrap Irony
03-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Pirates.... but not by much.

Agreed. Had Louisville Chapman, I think I could be convinced to pick them. I'd definitely pick them over the current Royals.