PDA

View Full Version : Potential Kyle Lotzkar injury

dougdirt
03-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Adam Foster from Project Prospect (http://projectprospect.com) is in Arizona watching the Reds minor league camp today. He just tweeted this:

Lotzkar just took himself out mid-outing. He threw a few between-inning warmup pitches then walked back to the dugout pointing to his elbow.

JaxRed
03-26-2011, 03:51 PM
Yikes. not good

lollipopcurve
03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
Not surprising, unfortunately. His injury history is just so riddled.

bellhead
03-26-2011, 04:19 PM
What is in the water out there in zona!!!! All the pitchers have taken hits this year it seams only Wood and Leake are healthy.

Hopefully it's nothing as Lotzkar has the stuff to be a good 2 if not a 1 in the majors.

mth123
03-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Lotzkar has just never been able to stay out there for an extended period. Its why I questioned the national "lists" putting him back on there.

Sorry to hear this about him, but I just don't see him holding up over time.

dougdirt
03-26-2011, 04:34 PM
What is in the water out there in zona!!!! All the pitchers have taken hits this year it seams only Wood and Leake are healthy.

Hopefully it's nothing as Lotzkar has the stuff to be a good 2 if not a 1 in the majors.

Lotzkar, unfortunately, was just a time bomb. Great stuff, seems like a real good kid to boot. But his arm action is just violent.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Hopefully it's nothing too serious but it doesn't sound good. What a shame too because the guy has some nasty stuff.

JaxRed
03-26-2011, 04:49 PM
On a related note Chris Dickerson just came out of his first Yankees game holding his hammy.. (really)

redsof72
03-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Biggest story of the spring for fans of Reds minors if it sets Lotzkar back. Waiting nervously for anything more on this. Very, very tough news to take. Reports on Lotzkar this spring were so encouraging.

bubbachunk
03-26-2011, 06:54 PM
That stinks, I wish him the best but it just seems he cant stay healthy for long enough...

Redlags
03-27-2011, 01:21 AM
Perhaps more discouraging given his current level (AAA)is an injury to Phillipe Valiquette - I heard yesterday he will be out several months with a torn muscle in his back. (This is not confirmed just overheard)

I just spent the past week in AZ and watched a minor and major leage game nearly every day - Observations: Willis is done, Horst very polished and most likely to get a call up if staff continues to disinegrate. MLB hitters have figured out DR Herrera (topped out at 82 the other day - threw one pitch at 58 in AAA game. Stubbs looks bad, but always a slow starter. Arroyo hustled for 5 innings, backing up every play - made A ball hitters look silly except for 3 run HR he gave up.

I've hit the panic button on pitching - I see a poor start to the season, given injuries, illness etc. Hopefully, offense will keep us in contention

cinreds21
03-27-2011, 01:30 AM
Dang, did not know about Vall. I need to step my game up on finding out stuff for you guys lol

JaxRed
03-27-2011, 03:05 AM
Well, Valiquette being out for a couple months means an open spot on 40 at least

camisadelgolf
03-27-2011, 04:16 AM
Well, Valiquette being out for a couple months means an open spot on 40 at least
Not that you're not aware, but that's true only if he's put on the 60-day DL.

muddie
03-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Perhaps more discouraging given his current level (AAA)is an injury to Phillipe Valiquette - I heard yesterday he will be out several months with a torn muscle in his back. (This is not confirmed just overheard)

I just spent the past week in AZ and watched a minor and major leage game nearly every day - Observations: Willis is done, Horst very polished and most likely to get a call up if staff continues to disinegrate. MLB hitters have figured out DR Herrera (topped out at 82 the other day - threw one pitch at 58 in AAA game. Stubbs looks bad, but always a slow starter. Arroyo hustled for 5 innings, backing up every play - made A ball hitters look silly except for 3 run HR he gave up.

I've hit the panic button on pitching - I see a poor start to the season, given injuries, illness etc. Hopefully, offense will keep us in contention

Good stuff, seriously. First I heard of Valliquette's issue. I like Horst a lot and hope he does well. I'm guessing that you're saying Willis is toast. I would have been shocked had he managed to turn around his decline. I've believed DRH was done for a while. I'm surprised he's still with the club. With several lefties ailing I guess Jospeph will get an earlier look this spring after things get started.

JaxRed
03-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Not that you're not aware, but that's true only if he's put on the 60-day DL.

Well they said out 2 months so I assumed it meant 60 day dl

mth123
03-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Well they said out 2 months so I assumed it meant 60 day dl

I wonder. That would mean recalling him, accruing service time and giving him major league pay.

Can anyone confirm Valiquette's status?

Redlags
03-27-2011, 11:49 AM
I posted the info about Valliquette - and noted that I could not confirm it. I overheard it at the complex yesterday. But you have to wonder at the limited number of innings (2.2) he has thrown in major league ST games. Also, I have watched games for the past week and didn't see him throw (obviously didn't see all minor league games.

JaxRed
03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
I wonder. That would mean recalling him, accruing service time and giving him major league pay.

Can anyone confirm Valiquette's status?

I can't remember whether you can have a guy optioned to minors and on 60 Day Major league DL. You might be right.

I wonder if they might waive him. He was a bubble guy anyway, and yeams might be reluctant to pick him up hurt.

redsof72
03-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Before Lotzkar left the game yesterday, he was consistently in the 94-96 range, showing an outstanding breaking ball and a solid change-up. I have heard he felt a twinge and I am sure they will be really careful with him so it is hard to imagine he starts the season active on April 7. I would guess they shut him down for a few days and then put him on a throwing program, similar to the plan with Cueto.

cinreds21
03-27-2011, 11:02 PM
Jax, you can't. They would have to recall Vall and place him on the 60.

texasdave
03-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Bump. So whatever happened with Lotzkar? Is he hurt? If so, what's the diagnosis and how long is he going to be out?

redsof72
03-31-2011, 08:34 PM
Not sure yet, but he will not break camp with the team.

dougdirt
04-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Lotzkar isn't expected to be out long. So that is good news.

Red Soup
04-06-2011, 09:55 AM
That is good news. Thanks for the update.

forsythe_9
04-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Here is a link to the article. Very happy to see this!

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/reds-first-round-prospect-still-on-to-pitch-for-dragons-this-season-1129267.html