PDA

View Full Version : deja vu

Natty Redlocks
03-29-2011, 11:49 PM
The team is a favorite to contend in the NL central. The pitching is good as long as they stay healthy. The offense has a solid, exciting core. The biggest problem facing the manager is to find an adequate leadoff hitter with decent OBP to put in front of the team's MVP candidate. The gm did acquire a guy in the offseason who qualifies but the only place to play him is left field, and that is occupied by a veteran bench player who put up one good month the previous year, convincing the genius manager that his brilliant managing skills has turned him into an everyday player. Besides, the CF is the fastest player on the team, an above average defender with above average power for his position, and one of the team's highly touted homegrown players. He has declared that the time is now to turn him into his leadoff hitter, even though he strikes out a ton, doesn't get on base a whole lot, and has never seen himself as a leadoff hitter. So how does the story end?

Well, the 2005 Chicago Cubs finished in fourth place. Jerry Hairston Jr. finally did get a chance to lead off and start, but only after CF Corey Patterson got run out of town and back to AAA. Veteran bench player Todd Hollandsworth turned out to not be an everyday player after all. And of course, the pitchers didn't stay healthy.

I'm of course drawing a parallel between that underachieving Cubs team and today's Reds team because I'm seeing a pattern. I don't want Drew Stubbs to turn into Corey Patterson, and if you don't think the similarities are there, check out Patterson's numbers, they were just as good as Stubbs' his first couple years when he was left down in the lineup.

I'm not saying that this pattern will definitely repeat itself. I'm simply saying that Dusty Baker is evil and must be stopped. I'm going to bed now because I'm really tired. If you read this far, thank you, I'm impressed.

arkimadee
03-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Drew Stubbs has much more upside than Patterson. Just relax dude and enjoy opening day and the first few weeks without so much worry. Last year Stubbs didn't cut it and he put Phillips and O'Cab there. I'd say that Stubbs will have a short leash at leadoff to begin the season because of his history of starting slow.

Nathan
03-30-2011, 01:18 AM
:thumbdown BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!

You know what? I'm tired of all the naysayers! If you want to criticize every single stinking move they make, why call yourself a fan? The Dusty Baker crap got old, oh, I don't know, a couple years ago. So, yeah, deja vu. Get some new material other than this tiresome rhetoric!

lidspinner
03-30-2011, 07:23 AM
I agree the dusty hatred gets old....but I am a dusty basher and i will gladly take my seat at the table as a life long hater of Baker.....the guy opens the door to hatred and screams for more members of the Baker hater club....

BUT.....what dusty did last year with the Reds was great....he turned a team full of young up and commers mixed with a few vets and made it work....he took a pitching staff that was unknown and made it known....Dusty was a friend 1st and manager 2nd......and that very well could be the very issue that gets him in trouble this year or in the future, but last year it worked...and I applaud him for that......I ate my crow, and I will eat it again this year if he proves me wrong...Dusty just makes to many "in game" mistakes to be a consistent winner. Sometimes I get the impression he is trying to manage a softball team instead of managing a professional major league team......He uses his gut to many times to make rash decisions, he constantly makes up his own stats to prove his reasoning behind a move...

again, it worked for him last year and it might work for him this year if the players continue to devolope....I will get on here and gladly eat my words if he does....I just dont think Dusty has what it takes to be a winner year in and year out...

with that said, I read a few quotes by Bobby Cox that stated you have to be a friend to these pampered athletes in todays game, if not, they will just rebel against your authority, so maybe Dusty has it figured out and maybe he will entrench himself as a winner for many years to come in a Reds uniform....if it worked for Bobby, I am sure it can work for Dusty.

Natty Redlocks
03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
:thumbdown BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!

You know what? I'm tired of all the naysayers! If you want to criticize every single stinking move they make, why call yourself a fan? The Dusty Baker crap got old, oh, I don't know, a couple years ago. So, yeah, deja vu. Get some new material other than this tiresome rhetoric!

You know what? I'M tired of all the blind faithful who buy this dude's jive. If anyone can screw up the talent the Reds have, he's the one. And if I read one more column by Paul Daugherty informing me I should like Dusty because he listens to Van Morrison, I'm gonna slap somebody. The only reason he hasn't ruined the Reds' young pitchers is because he's obviously on a short leash in that regard. He is dangerously ignorant, I do not like it one bit, and I will spout off about it whenever I feel like it. Thank you for your attention.

texasdave
03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
You know what? I'M tired of all the blind faithful who buy this dude's jive. If anyone can screw up the talent the Reds have, he's the one. And if I read one more column by Paul Daugherty informing me I should like Dusty because he listens to Van Morrison, I'm gonna slap somebody. The only reason he hasn't ruined the Reds' young pitchers is because he's obviously on a short leash in that regard. He is dangerously ignorant, I do not like it one bit, and I will spout off about it whenever I feel like it. Thank you for your attention.

Quoted for truth. Amen!

knoonan991
03-30-2011, 01:20 PM

To quote Sparky Anderson "If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success.

There's no one that can possibly convince me that Dusty does not do that.

texasdave
03-30-2011, 01:32 PM
To quote Sparky Anderson "If you have good players and if you keep them in the right frame of mind then the manager is a success.

There's no one that can possibly convince me that Dusty does not do that.

Scott Rolen was acquired, hurt and then stuck into the lineup, more or less permanently, on the 23rd of August in 2009.

Dusty's record (Pre-Rolen): 125-159
Dusty's record (Post-Rolen): 114-84

I am giving Scott Rolen the lion's share of credit for turning that clubhouse and team around. Dusty is along for the ride.

knoonan991
03-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Scott Rolen was acquired, hurt and then stuck into the lineup, more or less permanently, on the 23rd of August in 2009.

Dusty's record (Pre-Rolen): 125-159
Dusty's record (Post-Rolen): 114-84

I am giving Scott Rolen the lion's share of credit for turning that clubhouse and team around. Dusty is along for the ride.

That could very well be the case, but guys like Cueto, Wood, Leake, Votto, and Bruce were just getting their footing before Rolen came along.

I think it's a combination of a lot of things happening at the right time.

However I do agree that getting Rolen has been the turning point for the Reds.