PDA

View Full Version : Jim Edmonds running his pretty little mouth

OfficerRodFarva
04-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Always hated him, and was so torn when we got him last year. Now I hate him again

From Lance's blog...

Edmonds on Reds
Click HERE to listen to an interview he did with 590 KFNS "The Fan" in St Louis.
Among the highlights:
*On his lingering foot injury and not being able to go to spring training with St Louis:
"Awful, it's still awful. I still can't do so many things I want to do. It's really frustrating. I don't know the right words to use towards the Cincinnati doctors. I'm in a situation I thought I'd never be in this situation. I can't walk and I chase my kids around. It's not healing. Surgery is the option right now. That would be a year rehab. I'm not looking forward to that. I still think I can play.
*On the trade from Milwaukee to Cincinnati:
"I think I left Milwaukee hitting .295. I was driving the ball more and really playing more. The worst thing I did was accept that trade for Walt (Jocketty)...I should have shut it down and went home...I'd be healthy right now and probably playing." (He was playing hurt while in Milwaukee).
*On the Reds this year and last year:
"They are still pretty young. I kind of a had a feeling that playoff experience was going to play out the way it did. They didn't seem like they were ready last year. It's a different monster when you get in the playoffs. You need some veterans and guys that really step up.....and you need to be ready to play. You see they weren't.....They were really young and really naive. I hope for their sake that helps them a little bit."
*On the makeup of Reds:
"They have a bunch of good guys...other than that one situation (fight w/Cards) and that one player (Phillips).
It's a really young, nice group of guys. It put a black eye on therest of the rivalry. They are all pretty good. I kind of looked at like my Cubs experience.....I went in thinking God these guys are gonna be a pain....but they are all actually pretty good except that one guy. There are a few guys that have chips on their shoulders. Overall, the 1B, their young CF, their young RF are great guys. Their LF Johnny Gomes I think is very misread. Obviously Scotty is over there and their catcher is pretty good. And they have some good backups. I don't know they are as talented as we would be in St Louis...but that's why they play 162 games.

arkimadee
04-01-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm sure if Walt could take it back he wouldn't have traded for his sucky ass either.

Pony Boy
04-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks for posting. I'm glad that I can go back to hating Edmonds again. It never felt right in the first place.

The Reds have the best team doctors in the MLB by the way.

bounty37h
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Shows me why I was right to never stop disliking him. St Louis can have him, he seems to fit in better there anyway with the others.

Stray
04-01-2011, 04:02 PM
He's a Cardinal at heart and you know how sensitive those Cardinals are. The Phillips incident is what it is, and you know Edmonds' opinion of him is probably based more on that than anything else.

Sometimes guys don't like each other and I'm not worried about it, I'm almost certain Phillips isn't. We're a better team than them and we're in a much better position than them to succeed in the near future. He's a has been speaking his mind, can't really fault him for it.

SidneySlicker
04-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Wonder what he thought about jon jays three hopper to second last night that allowed the go ahead run in yesterday in the cards loss or the game tying homer given up by cards pitching in the bottom of the 9th? Yah, we'll see how good the cards are this year jimmy.

brm7675
04-01-2011, 04:44 PM
Exactly what did he say that was wrong or bad?

bounty37h
04-01-2011, 04:48 PM
no worse then anything BPhil said, spoke his mind on his feelings-no harm to anyone-yet I doubt this starts a fight.

Vottomatic
04-01-2011, 04:58 PM
I didn't like what he said. Those idiot Cards players think they're so much better than everyone else. Really annoying.

SeeinRed
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Honestly, I'm not getting all wound up over what Edmonds has to say. So, he doesn't like BP. He also thinks the Reds doctors are horrible and regrets coming to Cincinnati instead of sitting out the rest of the year to keep his foot from getting worse. Big deal. Some of that seems like sour grapes, some seems resonable. He is entitled to his opinion. Sure, there are far more classy ways to handle the interview, but he is under no obligation to handle it in a PC manner to make sure we are happy with the answers he gives. He just spoke his mind, which is what we do every day here on this board. In the end, the world keeps turning and nothing of concequence will come of this. Its just message board fodder IMO.

redsfanmia
04-01-2011, 07:50 PM
The Reds doctors gets ripped all the time, Kremchek sat behind me at a game last year and my opinion of him is that he is a clown. I think what Edmonds said was right on, the only good thing that came of him coming here was the influence he had on Jay Bruce.

gedred69
04-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Edmonds always was a hot shot. I ignore him. The guy that I really dis-like is Carpenter. Two years ago, the way he fired ball after ball handed to him by the umpire into the corner of the Reds dugout where the ball boy is, and then went on to gripe about how the balls in Cincy were always too slick. You would think he should know that they are rubbed down before a game by the Umpire crew, not, the Reds!

Swampturkey
04-01-2011, 08:41 PM
I could have told you myself that the Reds weren't going to advance far in the playoffs last year. It was obvious to everyone outside of Cincy and to many in Cincy as well I'm sure. The Phillies were far superior. I even predicted to people that the reds would be swept. I don't say that to be mean, I say it because I've seen it many times before. The Cards made it to the playoffs in 2000, 2001, 2002 but didn't reach the WS until 2004. They had barely any WS experienced players on that 2004 team and got swept. Took 2 more seasons for them to win it and Edmonds was a huge reason why because of his leadership OFF the field.

The Reds will get better with experience and each year I would imagine they'll do better in the playoffs.

So seriously, what was so bad about what Edmonds said? Do you just dislike him because he was a Cardinal for so long or are you mad that his brief tenure in Cincy didn't turn him into a lifelong Reds fan? He was speaking to a St. Louis station as he was in town to throw out the first pitch at our home opener. They asked him questions, he gave honest answers.

Some of you are really sensitive!!

Swampturkey
04-01-2011, 08:44 PM
I didn't like what he said. Those idiot Cards players think they're so much better than everyone else. Really annoying.

I don't know of any of them who think they are so much better than everyone. Guys like Wainwright, Holliday, Pujols, etc have a ton of class and always respect the opponent, much like guys like Rolen do. Every team has a few arrogant players, the reds included.

OfficerRodFarva
04-01-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't know of any of them who think they are so much better than everyone. Guys like Wainwright, Holliday, Pujols, etc have a ton of class and always respect the opponent, much like guys like Rolen do. Every team has a few arrogant players, the reds included.

Who is arrogant on the Reds?

AintlifeGrande
04-01-2011, 09:40 PM
Let me repeat this,I hate the Cardinals.

redsfanmia
04-01-2011, 10:08 PM

I bet if you met almost anyone one of the Reds they would come off as arrogant. Some of them may be good guys but most if not all are arrogant.

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 12:02 AM
Phillips has been a team cancer where ever he has played.

He cried because JR got to much press
He refuses to talk to the press if they even report anything that is not 100% positive
He cried because Josh got to much press
He can't keep his trap shut which angers his own team and coaches
His answer to Joey getting all the press TWITTER

The Indians gave him away because he was a pain in the as who had his cloths monogrammed "The Franchise"

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Honestly, I'm not getting all wound up over what Edmonds has to say. So, he doesn't like BP. He also thinks the Reds doctors are horrible

They are horrible, how many times was JR misdiagnosed

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 12:06 AM

Phillips

foxfire123
04-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Edmonds was always a jerk, why should we expect anything different because he wore a Reds uniform for a few months? Just Go Away Jimmy.

Stray
04-02-2011, 01:37 AM

He refuses to talk to the press if they even report anything that is not 100% positive

The Indians gave him away because he was a pain in the as who had his cloths monogrammed "The Franchise"

It's funny because towards the end of his time here, I would say that Junior was a team cancer. Most of what you're saying is speculation, and as far as speaking to the media goes, a lot of Reds have gone that route.

Also, I highly doubt Brandon Phillips was jealous of Joey Votto getting attention and his solution was to make a twitter account. Seriously... It's cool if you don't like him but at least be realistic.

xavr1
04-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Edmonds is a washed up goon. Fortunately no one cares what he has to say. Whether Phillips is arrogant is moot. Any argument that he is a team cancer should also be moot by the fact that the Reds won the Division last year and have every chance to do it again this year. Phillips, whatever his personality, is a big part of the reason.

markymark69
04-02-2011, 10:25 AM
I agree with most of the sentinment. I think Edmonds was a postive influence on Bruce, but outside of that didn't provide much help, IMO.

As far as him not liking or Phillips or however you categorize it - we all have people we work with or we associate with that we don't like or that annoy us - probably shouldn't have been said. Just like what Brandon said last year shouldn't have been said.

Doesn't mean either thing isn't true - just falls under the category that some things are better left unsaid.

All of that being said - I'm not disappointed that Edmonds is no longer on the team.

OfficerRodFarva
04-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Phillips

Why? Because he curb-stomped some over-sensitive Cardinals?

Nice try.

jimbo
04-02-2011, 11:54 AM
What most Card fans fail to recognize is this whole thing started a couple of years ago with LaRue spouting off about a few Reds players, LaRussa calling Harang of all people a head hunter, and then Carpenter complaining about the balls being used in Cincinnati.....actually whined about it on a couple of occasions. BP simply called them out on it. He just said what everyone else was thinking.

OfficerRodFarva
04-02-2011, 12:15 PM
What most Card fans fail to recognize is this whole thing started a couple of years ago with LaRue spouting off about a few Reds players, LaRussa calling Harang of all people a head hunter, and then Carpenter complaining about the balls being used in Cincinnati.....actually whined about it on a couple of occasions. BP simply called them out on it. He just said what everyone else was thinking.

Exactly. Some folks need to learn the definition of arrogance. Namely, some cards fans.

R_Webb18
04-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Phillips seems like a guy that loves the game of baseball and is really good at it but at the same time likes to have a lil fun. im a fan. idk why people take some people so serious and over react to nothing.

Red in Atl
04-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Jim who?

Drugs Delaney
04-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Yep. They have had a weird sense of entitlement. It's hard to argue that Phillips' comments didn't hurt in the short term. But I think expressing that sentiment in a public way might have been a positive thing long term.

Basically just saying, we're sick of your *****ing. We're sick of you winning this division every year. We are going to be the ones do something about it.

PMand JM
04-02-2011, 07:15 PM
By the way... those Cards (you know, the ones we hate) are getting their fannies whipped again by the Pads, and it couldn't please me more!

goreds2
04-02-2011, 07:20 PM
From Cincinnati.com

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/04/01/edmonds-talks-about-his-stay-with-reds/

UPDATE: It gets better. Here is Brandon Phillips’ (@datdudebp) Tweet in response to what Jim Edmonds said about him (read interview below):

LOL. Awww! That's so sweet! Trust me, there are so many things I can say about him & y'all would look at him different! "HATER IN DA HOUSE"

OfficerRodFarva
04-02-2011, 08:59 PM
From Cincinnati.com

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2011/04/01/edmonds-talks-about-his-stay-with-reds/

UPDATE: It gets better. Here is Brandon Phillips’ (@datdudebp) Tweet in response to what Jim Edmonds said about him (read interview below):

LOL. Awww! That's so sweet! Trust me, there are so many things I can say about him & y'all would look at him different! "HATER IN DA HOUSE"

Yeah, Phillips is so arrogant lol

Vottomatic
04-02-2011, 09:10 PM
I never did understand picking up Edmonds.

BurgervilleBuck
04-02-2011, 11:57 PM
If he said this while he was still in the Reds clubhouse, I'd be considered. But I don't give a monkeys. He's just adding to the fact that Cardinals whine.

AintlifeGrande
04-03-2011, 01:23 AM

Tell that to all of the kids he takes time to sign autograph's for every game.Yeah,a real pain.

joshua
04-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Why does he say "they" over and over again in the interview? You're not really showing veteran leadership when you're disassociating yourself from the team. The Reds paid him 750k for his leadership and instead they got 13 games of less than mediocre baseball from a ***** who wants to make excuses. Walt should ask for his money back.

Vottomatic
04-03-2011, 10:44 AM
If he said this while he was still in the Reds clubhouse, I'd be considered. But I don't give a monkeys. He's just adding to the fact that Cardinals whine.

Good post. He's a Cardinal through and through with the way he whines.

mattfeet
04-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Tell that to all of the kids he takes time to sign autograph's for every game.Yeah,a real pain.

For real. Phillips is hardly a 'cancer' to this team. Open your eyes and see what all he does for the fans and report back...mk?

-Matt

goreds2
04-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Jimmy should take some lessons from Jerry Narron. Jerry was just interviewed on the WLW pre-game show and said he has no ill feeling towards the Reds and was an honor to manage them. He fully admitted he did not "get it done". Class Act.

lidspinner
04-04-2011, 08:17 AM
maybe I am in the minority here...but i think this 100% adds fuel to the fire....I think this topic will come up again soon as we play them. The series is gonna be on edge this year anyways, and now this just adds to the game.......all it takes is one ball to come off a pitchers fingers the wrong way, a true accident, and all those feelings are going to come back. I dont think this will be bulletin board material, but I do think it comes to light before our 1st game with them. Cant wait

Tadasimha
04-04-2011, 10:30 AM
It's not going to take much to fire things up again - a hard slide, some chin music, a little jawing from the dugout (possibly even from Dusty or LeRussa) and it will be back on.

First series down in St Louis is going to be VERY intense.

bounty37h
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Honestly, I'm not getting all wound up over what Edmonds has to say. So, he doesn't like BP. He also thinks the Reds doctors are horrible and regrets coming to Cincinnati instead of sitting out the rest of the year to keep his foot from getting worse. Big deal. Some of that seems like sour grapes, some seems resonable. He is entitled to his opinion. Sure, there are far more classy ways to handle the interview, but he is under no obligation to handle it in a PC manner to make sure we are happy with the answers he gives. He just spoke his mind, which is what we do every day here on this board. In the end, the world keeps turning and nothing of concequence will come of this. Its just message board fodder IMO.

Exactly, and thats my point, he said basically the same thing BPhil said but doubt this turns into a fight, it was nothing more then empty, meaningless words.

AintlifeGrande
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Oh,it'll be crunk come the first game.

OGB
04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I bet if you met almost anyone one of the Reds they would come off as arrogant. Some of them may be good guys but most if not all are arrogant.

In my line of work, I've met/spoken to/seen* dozens of Reds players over the past few years and the only one I would describe as arrogant is Jim Edmonds. I've even met several other Cardinals players and many of them were super nice guys, going out of their way to be friendly.
Actually, now that I think about it, Laynce Nix could be kind of a ******.

edited to add: I can't say the same thing about Bengals players. Some of them are very cool/friendly, but they tend more towards arrogance.

*Basically, been able to observe their behavior in a public setting.