PDA

View Full Version : Pujols' epic fail

Magdal
04-01-2011, 05:45 PM
I have observed his change of aproach over the last 3 years, becoming pull-happy and determined to smack homers. He is far less patient up there, trying to do too much. He dives at balls outside, and his strike outs are more frequent.

Yesterday he had the worst day of his CAREER at the plate. 0 for 5 with 3 GIDP. He was responsible for 8 of the teams 27 outs, and the only position player not to reach base.

Last year his BA dipped below .300 late in the season, and he finished the year 20 points below his career ave.

I think the Cardinals were smart not to give him that monster 10 year deal that he wanted. He is clearly beginning the down side of his career. At 31 (35 in Dominican years) it looks to me that he only has 2 or 3 decent years left in him.

I know the season is young, but Albert is not.

RedsLvr
04-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Yeah he is clearly past his prime in my opinion, but he's still going to put up All-Star numbers for the next few years at least.

Bruce32
04-01-2011, 07:00 PM
ITs only one game, he is still the best player in baseball.

PedroBourbon
04-01-2011, 07:07 PM
I agree with all 3 comments above about his bad day, start of his decline, and yet he will still be an all star for several years. Oh and yeah, he is 35 in Dominican years, hilarious.

Magdal
04-01-2011, 07:39 PM
ITs only one game, he is still the best player in baseball.I don't see how you can say that. He WAS the best. He is now "among" the best.

Well we shall see how he does in the next month now that Holliday is on the DL. My prediction: mediocrity.

Drugs Delaney
04-01-2011, 07:46 PM
He was also a guy who put on 30 pounds of muscle in one year early in his career. His legs and torso looked unnaturally big there for a while. I have a feeling he's not going to age well and there may be more to the story than simply getting older.

Swampturkey
04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
I have observed his change of aproach over the last 3 years, becoming pull-happy and determined to smack homers. He is far less patient up there, trying to do too much. He dives at balls outside, and his strike outs are more frequent.

Not true. He hardly ever swings at the first pitch. Most of his hits last year were after at least 1 pitch was thrown and most were with an even count of 1-1 or 2-2. He can hit anything and he hits to all fields. Check out his spray chart. He does hit more to left and center, but that's common for a righty.

As for strikeouts, he struck out 12 times more last year than in the year before but other than his rookie season when he struck out 93 times, he has never had more than 76 strikeouts in a single season. That is phenominal for a power hitter. His strikeout totals are the last thing any Cards fan has to worry about.

Yesterday he had the worst day of his CAREER at the plate. 0 for 5 with 3 GIDP. He was responsible for 8 of the teams 27 outs, and the only position player not to reach base.

He had a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day. But it was ONE game. One game does not a career make.

Last year his BA dipped below .300 late in the season, and he finished the year 20 points below his career ave.

He struggled for a month, but the rest of his stats were right there were they normally are. Batting averages are not the most important stat. His down year would still be a career year for most players.

I think the Cardinals were smart not to give him that monster 10 year deal that he wanted. He is clearly beginning the down side of his career. At 31 (35 in Dominican years) it looks to me that he only has 2 or 3 decent years left in him.

I know the season is young, but Albert is not.

Albert has said that he was never asking for a 10 year deal worth $300mil. He actually laughed when a reporter asked him about it upon his arrival to spring training. He said he has no clue where that rumor came from.

BTW, the Cardinals have done an extensive search into Pujols' background and have never once come up with a shred of evidence to suggest he is anything other than the age he says he is. He also took the citizenship test a few years back and had to give his DOB on that. He gave it as 1/16/80.

mroby85
04-01-2011, 10:06 PM
Gotta admit, I think it's kind of a joke to see those three words grouped together as the thread title, lol. I wish when I epically failed, it involved finishing right near the top in MVP voting, lol.

VottoFan54
04-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Here is a hit chart for Pujols at Busch Stadium:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/albert-pujols/hitchart/85809

From the looks of the chart most of his plays in the infield are pulled but in the outfield it is spread pretty evenly in left and center but not many hits are in left.

For comparison here is Ryan Howards spray chart at Citizens Bank Park who most consider a pull hitter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/ryan-howard/hitchart/223779

Ortiz at Fenway:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/david-ortiz/hitchart/85214

Magdal
04-02-2011, 01:00 PM
He was also a guy who put on 30 pounds of muscle in one year early in his career. His legs and torso looked unnaturally big there for a while. I have a feeling he's not going to age well and there may be more to the story than simply getting older.I never believed the man was on 'roids, but HGH, yes. For a long time HGH could not be detected....'till last year.

Last year was the year of the pitcher...should it be renamed the year of no HGH? Furthermore, Pujols' body has been racked with nagging injuries these last 3 years. He carries too much weight for his age, whatever that may be.

And that spray chart is very deceptive. It does NOT show how many balls he pulls foul. I have seen him pull 4 balls foul, then hit a single to right. That makes him a spray hitter?

Hondo
04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
I think we all know he is older then what his BIO says...

But Pujols is the Best Hitter in the Game without a Doubt.

He will probably be dominant the Next 5 years.

For those of you who want to trash him it's comical.

I Hate, and I mean Hate the Cardinals and I will still say he is the Best Hitter in the Game.

So I am NOT a Cardinals fan, and Love the Reds with all my heart...

But this is a silly thread.

Magdal
04-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I think we all know he is older then what his BIO says...

But Pujols is the Best Hitter in the Game without a Doubt.

He will probably be dominant the Next 5 years.

For those of you who want to trash him it's comical.

I Hate, and I mean Hate the Cardinals and I will still say he is the Best Hitter in the Game.

So I am NOT a Cardinals fan, and Love the Reds with all my heart...

But this is a silly thread.Best hitter in the game? If memory serves

he was like 14th or so in BA last year. How can he STILL be called the best hitter in the league? Votto gets my vote.

mroby85
04-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Best hitter in the game? If memory serves

he was like 14th or so in BA last year. How can he STILL be called the best hitter in the league? Votto gets my vote.

BA isn't the only statistic. Also he's done it over a longer period of time than Votto. I believe he also had more HR, RBI, and BB than Votto. This isn't trashing Votto by any means, but Pujols is clearly the best player in the game in my opinion, one season where he finished 2nd in MVP voting doesn't change that.

Vottomatic
04-02-2011, 09:07 PM
A little premature to be announcing the end of Pujols career in a few years.

On the flipside, it is natural for a player to begin to decline in his 30's and I agree that he will gradually not be the player he once was or currently is. That's just age.

Hey Meat
04-02-2011, 10:58 PM
ITs only one game, he is still the best player in baseball.

No No No!. He WAS the best player in baseball.

joshua
04-03-2011, 02:12 AM
I know we all hate the Cardinals, but to say that Pujols will no longer be a dominate player is just wishful thinking. He's still an absolute monster and one of the best players of my lifetime. He still has 3+ years of amazing baseball left in him, barring injuries. Sure his stats are sliding (as they should since he's getting older) but one bad day, or even a bad season isn't enough for me to write him off. He's still a beast, and will most likely continue to be.

And to insinuate that he's doing steroids because he put on 30 pounds in one year? Hilarious. I could put on 30 pounds of muscle in a few months if I had the time to workout and could afford the amount of food I would have to eat, and I'm far from athletic.

His main problem now is that the team around him is falling apart.

Drugs Delaney
04-03-2011, 04:45 AM
I know we all hate the Cardinals, but to say that Pujols will no longer be a dominate player is just wishful thinking. He's still an absolute monster and one of the best players of my lifetime. He still has 3+ years of amazing baseball left in him, barring injuries. Sure his stats are sliding (as they should since he's getting older) but one bad day, or even a bad season isn't enough for me to write him off. He's still a beast, and will most likely continue to be.

And to insinuate that he's doing steroids because he put on 30 pounds in one year? Hilarious. I could put on 30 pounds of muscle in a few months if I had the time to workout and could afford the amount of food I would have to eat, and I'm far from athletic.

His main problem now is that the team around him is falling apart.

No you couldn't.

joshua
04-03-2011, 01:17 PM
There's people who do it all of the time without steroids. If you ever hung out with bodybuilders or fighters, you'd see it happen.

Number_Fourteen
04-03-2011, 03:11 PM
There's people who do it all of the time without steroids. If you ever hung out with bodybuilders or fighters, you'd see it happen.

LOL 30 lbs. of a muscle in a few months? You might understand baseball and many other things, but the topic of muscle growth is not one of them.

New York Red
04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Even for someone with a daily workout routine, it would take 3-4 years to add 30 pounds of muscle.

defender
04-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Even if you take steroids, you have to do the work to build the muscle. If someone could work out everyday, without steriods, they would build up muscle pretty quickly.

Magdal
04-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Let's get back to the subject...3 games into the season now: the man has yet to even advance a runner. Hit into 4 DP's.(would be more if 1st was occupied more) Has not taken 1 single walk. Every SINGLE ball he has put in play has been pulled. He has the lowest BA on the team.

There has begun to be a smattering of boo's when he comes up, something he has never heard in St. Louis. This contract thing has put so much more pressure on him that he is fairly jumping out of his socks to reach at balls a foot high or outside.

He has 1 RBI on a solo shot, and a harmless single. That's it. Just a slump? If you watched him every day up there you would see how futile he looks.

Votto will beat him in every catagory this year, exept GIDP.

Magdal
04-04-2011, 03:30 AM
One more thing: why would the Cardinals go out and sign Berkman for 8 mil? A man that can only play 1st base?

In case you did not know this, last year Pujols had 39 HR's before the All Star game. He jerked 2 more the 1st game after the ASG. How many more did he hit? 8. So this dip in his performance is well known to Card fans. The national media keeps a lid on it.

For the 1st time the talk radio and Fan forums are getting DOWN on Mr. Greedy. You see, it was hard enough for him to maintain exellence as his body was complaining from age, but now the added pressure of having to have a "contract year" will kill him. How can he have a contract year when he never took it easy before? It's players that coast that have those big breakout years. He is physically AND emotionally incapable of leading the league in anything from now on.

One more thing: The Cards shipped Ludwick for a broken down Westbrook, of the 4.50 ERA. Why? He was due for a big payday this year. They needed his $ to pay Pujols more. But his horrible post ASG performance put the kybosh on that!

I will go out on a limb and say that Pujols will NOT be re-signed, even if he has a "decent" year. Why? Because the team's payroll is too top heavy. 4 players make 1/2 of the salary. They have the worst middle infield in the game, and they have to free up some money to get help.

As it is, with the loss of Wainwright, a horrible infeild and a declining Pujols, the Cards will have to struggle to play .500 ball this year. I look for the Reds to be up by 10 games by July. ;)

Magdal
04-04-2011, 03:30 AM
One more thing: why would the Cardinals go out and sign Berkman for 8 mil? A man that can only play 1st base?

In case you did not know this, last year Pujols had 39 HR's before the All Star game. He jerked 2 more the 1st game after the ASG. How many more did he hit? 8. So this dip in his performance is well known to Card fans. The national media keeps a lid on it.

For the 1st time the talk radio and Fan forums are getting DOWN on Mr. Greedy. You see, it was hard enough for him to maintain exellence as his body was complaining from age, but now the added pressure of having to have a "contract year" will kill him. How can he have a contract year when he never took it easy before? It's players that coast that have those big breakout years. He is physically AND emotionally incapable of leading the league in anything from now on.

One more thing: The Cards shipped Ludwick for a broken down Westbrook, of the 4.50 ERA. Why? He was due for a big payday this year. They needed his $ to pay Pujols more. But his horrible post ASG performance put the kybosh on that!

I will go out on a limb and say that Pujols will NOT be re-signed, even if he has a "decent" year. Why? Because the team's payroll is too top heavy. 4 players make 1/2 of the salary. They have the worst middle infield in the game, and they have to free up some money to get help.

As it is, with the loss of Wainwright, a horrible infeild and a declining Pujols, the Cards will have to struggle to play .500 ball this year. I look for the Reds to be up by 10 games by July. ;)

Magdal
04-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Update: He was hitless again, and futile... a black hole in the 3 hole. He still has the worst BA on the team.

2 hits in 4 games....Oh, he is so gone after this year! The fans boo'd his big butt again tonite....the love affair is over. The bad thing is: there are only 2 teams he could go to....the Reds, because of Jockety, or the Cubbies because of their deep pockets after this year.

RedsLvr
04-05-2011, 07:56 AM
It's weird that people keep calling Pujols the best player in the league when honestly I don't even see him being in the top 3 first basemen in the NL...

signalhome
04-05-2011, 08:14 AM
It's weird that people keep calling Pujols the best player in the league when honestly I don't even see him being in the top 3 first basemen in the NL...

Out of curiosity, who are the three NL first basemen you think are better than Pujols?

Hondo
04-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I think a Mod Should Close this Thread based on it's Useless Debate.

Why don't u debate the Worst player in the Majors on the 25 man Rosters. That would be an actual Debate.

Pujols is Pujols. Is is what it is.

For those of you talking trash on him, it just makes the rest of the Reds fans look Bad.

NorrisHopper30
04-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Pujols is still the best player in MLB as far as i'm concerned...he had one of the worst years of his career last year and Votto had his best year and barely beat him out in OBP (pujols had 50 less K's though) and Votto barely beat him out in OPS as well.

This thread should've waited for another year IMO, give the dude some slack. I hate the Cards, but I'm not stupid enough to say he's not a top 3 1B...come on now. He's off to a slow start...who cares?

NorrisHopper30
04-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Let's get back to the subject...3 games into the season now: the man has yet to even advance a runner. Hit into 4 DP's.(would be more if 1st was occupied more) Has not taken 1 single walk. Every SINGLE ball he has put in play has been pulled. He has the lowest BA on the team.

There has begun to be a smattering of boo's when he comes up, something he has never heard in St. Louis. This contract thing has put so much more pressure on him that he is fairly jumping out of his socks to reach at balls a foot high or outside.

He has 1 RBI on a solo shot, and a harmless single. That's it. Just a slump? If you watched him every day up there you would see how futile he looks.

Votto will beat him in every catagory this year, exept GIDP.
You are telling me that Pujols hasn't advanced a runner and we're not even 2% into the season? Cool statistic. And yes players look "futile" when they are in slumps.

Also, to be fair to Pujols he doesn't have Holliday in the lineup as well so he's probably trying to do too.

This thread should be closed.

Magdal
04-06-2011, 02:09 AM
Interesting points made on this thread that should be closed. Stop posting reply's if you don't like it. And who is trashing Pujols? Just pointing out the bare truth that he is doing nothing with his bat so far, like last August. He went 33 or so games w/o a HR!

He kind of busted out of it tonite: Had a sac fly and a bounced single between 3rd and short for his 1st advanced runner of the year. When he got to 1st base he clapped his hands and smiled as if he was greatly relieved. I don't blame him....when bums like Theriot, Shumacher are out hitting him it MUST be painful to his psyche.

Of course, he still has the worst BA on the team.

signalhome
04-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Interesting points made on this thread that should be closed. Stop posting reply's if you don't like it. And who is trashing Pujols? Just pointing out the bare truth that he is doing nothing with his bat so far, like last August. He went 33 or so games w/o a HR!

He kind of busted out of it tonite: Had a sac fly and a bounced single between 3rd and short for his 1st advanced runner of the year. When he got to 1st base he clapped his hands and smiled as if he was greatly relieved. I don't blame him....when bums like Theriot, Shumacher are out hitting him it MUST be painful to his psyche.

Of course, he still has the worst BA on the team.

So far on the year (three games), Jay Bruce has a 46.2% K%, 0.0 LD%, only one walk, and an OPS of just over .500. Should we panic? No, because we are at most five games into the season, and we are dealing with a microscopic sample size. Pujols hasn't had a wOBA under .414 or an OPS under .955 in his entire career (.420 and 1.011 respectively last year in what was considered to be a down year for him).

This year will likely be no different, and even if he does show signs of decline (very possible, as he is getting up there in age), we're looking at a maximum drop of about .040 points or so in OPS, which would still make him an excellent player.

Also keep in mind that Pujols showed no signs of decline in the second half of last year. His offensive numbers were actually better after the all-star break (.992 OPS before, 1.033 after).

RedLegsToday
04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
He went 33 or so games w/o a HR!

It took me less than a minute to look this up and see that you are wrong. I think you are thinking of 2009. A year in which Albert was only the NL MVP. In 2010, he had 6 hr in July, 11 in August, and 7 in Sept/Oct.

Magdal
04-06-2011, 05:59 PM
It took me less than a minute to look this up and see that you are wrong. I think you are thinking of 2009. A year in which Albert was only the NL MVP. In 2010, he had 6 hr in July, 11 in August, and 7 in Sept/Oct.You are absolutely right Redlegs. It WAS 2009. Time is 'a flyin'!

AintlifeGrande
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
He'll be better when he has Holiday back to protect him in the order.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Pujols looked terrible today. In the field too!

Magdal
04-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Pujols looked terrible today. In the field too!Yup....and as to Holliday coming back to "protect" him...wrong. Pitchers are coming RIGHT at him. Only 2 walks so far and None intentional.

He has 5 GIDP and 1 solo HR, a black hole in the #3. Still under the Mendoza and LIKE Casey said, blowing it in the field. Not one, but two misplays late in the game that directly cost the game.

And what's up with this baggy uni he has been sporting? Manny wore baggies to hide his ripped steroid bod...I think Pujols is hiding lard.

texasdave
04-10-2011, 10:59 AM
All three Giants runs scored on balls that should have been caught by Cardinals outfielders.

All year long.

Magdal
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Update: after 10 games Pujols has more GIDP than hits. Going 1 for 5 last nite he RAISED his BA. In the Giants series when they flashed his BA on the big screne the fans started chanting it. The pressure is mounting.

Stray
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM
I think his bat might be slowing down a little, but he's gonna hit his way out of this slump. If he has indeed fallen off the cliff I would be shocked.

At the end of the year his line will surely be impressive.

Red in Atl
04-12-2011, 12:31 PM
I can't believe for a minute that Pujols has somehow forgotten how to play the game. He may be getting older, but really. He's Albert. A stud for the last 10 years or so right?

He's in a funk, he's lost Holliday hitting behind him, he's made the big demand to become a FA and not talk about it during the season, his team has changed dramatically, they don't have the same management as they did when the Cards dominated and they lost a perennial Cy Young candidate.

Cards have a lot of issues, and it's all quite fair. What comes around, goes around in baseball. I enjoy it happening to them instead of us, but Karma is tough.

Don't dwell on it, don't praise their problems and don't make fun of them. It is what it is.

The important thing is our team, our season and embracing our "Time". Just do it.

mlh1981
04-12-2011, 12:36 PM
All it's gonna take is one of his patented good games to get him back in his groove again. Slumps and hot streaks some sometimes occur in bunches, and right now, he's obviously in the former. He's only 31 years old, so hard to imagine that any sort of decline has begun. Right now, there is a lot of negative energy on the team, and we all know much much of a mental endurance test this sport is.

Plus, there are a lot of bad starting pitchers out there for him to feast on. It's pretty easy to get healthy against the Pirates/Astros/Nationals, etc.

VottoFan54
04-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Not that I'm a Cards fan but Pujols has now raised his average to .229 and is having a great game tonight.

Magdal
04-15-2011, 02:38 AM
Not that I'm a Cards fan but Pujols has now raised his average to .229 and is having a great game tonight.Not really. He had 3 hits but only 1 legit. One seeing eye bounced weakly between 3rd and SS, and one off the end of the bat that just went over the 1st basemans head.

His world leading 7 GIDP would be much higher exept there is often 2 outs when he bounces to 3rd. 13 games into the season and he has hit just one ball to RF.

He has 2 solo HRs in 2 blowouts. Niether mattered. But get men on in a close game and he is the easiest out on his team.;)

Swampturkey
04-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Not really. He had 3 hits but only 1 legit. One seeing eye bounced weakly between 3rd and SS, and one off the end of the bat that just went over the 1st basemans head.

His world leading 7 GIDP would be much higher exept there is often 2 outs when he bounces to 3rd. 13 games into the season and he has hit just one ball to RF.

He has 2 solo HRs in 2 blowouts. Niether mattered. But get men on in a close game and he is the easiest out on his team.;)

The day before yesterday, Pujols had some of the best swings he has taken all season. Even yesterday, only the one hit, but he still put some good wood on the ball.

If you honestly think he's going to be a .230 or under hitter all season long, well, you're in for an awakening.

Besides, it doesn't matter how hard they're hit. A hit is a hit. Out of the Cardinals 16 hits in yesterday's game, I'd say about 6 were infield singles that set up big innings. I for one am very happy to take that.

Swampturkey
04-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Pujols with 2 home runs tonight. Slump OVER

Magdal
04-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Pujols with 2 home runs tonight. Slump OVERThat's not correct...he swings for a HR every time up. He GIDP and kills innings way more than he homers.

The guy will get his home runs, but the amount of players that he LOB is alarming. Good grief! Shumaker has more RBI than King Albert!

Swampturkey
04-16-2011, 04:05 PM
That's not correct...he swings for a HR every time up.

You lost me at this. Most rediculous statement I've read about Albert. I've watched Albert Pujols every single day for 10 seasons. He does a lot of things. Swinging for the fences is not one of them. He even hates to be called a home run hitter. He has said he is a hitter who happens to have power.

kg112686
04-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Just wanted to point out that this statement is completely wrong.

Pre-All Star Break Numbers:
87 Games
321 AB's
55 Runs
95 Hits
21 HR's
64 RBI's
.308 AVG

Post All Star Break Numbers:
72 Games
266 AB's
60 Runs
84 Hits
21 HR's
54 RBI's
.316 AVG

Just saying...

arkimadee
04-16-2011, 04:34 PM

87 Games
321 AB's
55 Runs
95 Hits
21 HR's
64 RBI's
.308 AVG

72 Games
266 AB's
60 Runs
84 Hits
21 HR's
54 RBI's
.316 AVG

Just saying...
Those types of numbers are going to make the Cubs a true contender next season. ;)

bleedsred
04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
With the Cubs "luck" they will sign him to a mega-contract and he will turn into their Junior.........

VottoFan54
04-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Not really. He had 3 hits but only 1 legit. One seeing eye bounced weakly between 3rd and SS, and one off the end of the bat that just went over the 1st basemans head.

So the easiest out for the Cards won 2 of the 3 triple crown categories last year and these are the games from his recent hotstreak.

Pujols' last four games:

@ARI 3 for 5 1 run
_____2 for 3 3 runs 2 RBI 1 BB
@LA 1 for 5 1 HR/RBI/Run
_____2 for 5 2 HR/Runs 3 RBI

I hate to say it but Pujols is going to put up another year of 900+ OPS and is going to be a tough out most of the year.

signalhome
04-16-2011, 10:49 PM
I'm becoming more and more certain that this guy is just trolling us.

Magdal
04-17-2011, 05:11 PM

87 Games
321 AB's
55 Runs
95 Hits
21 HR's
64 RBI's
.308 AVG

72 Games
266 AB's
60 Runs
84 Hits
21 HR's
54 RBI's
.316 AVG

Just saying...

This error has already been corrected. It was '09 that he fell of so bad after the ASG.

In reference to "DO you think he will finish @ .175"....of course not. I think .290 with 30 HRs and 100 rbi. good numbers. NOT "Best hitter in baseball" numbers. Votto will beat him in every catagory I still think.

After 2 weeks he leads his team in no catagories. Exept for triples he usually leads in all catagories from wire to wire. But stay tuned. It IS still early.

Magdal
04-18-2011, 02:37 AM
I'm becoming more and more certain that this guy is just trolling us.

That's pretty stupid...I'm only delvering the facts M'aam....his BA IS .250, he has only one dbl...he HAS left more men on base than anyone on his team and GIDP at an alarming rate.

Old fat Elvis (Berkman) has him beat in every catagory in spite of playing 2 less games. All 4 of his SOLO HR's have come in blowouts! With men on base he is pathetic!

But go on and worship this fat man for his 1st 10 years...when he goes to the Cubs next year he will bring his career numbers down and the luster will fade.

Holliday: .400....Rasmus: .360.. Berkman .319 Theriot and Shumacher over .300.. Freeze .320. Albert the Machine .260...he IS outhitting his pal Molina: .250.

The face of baseball? I don't think so.

DirtyBaker
04-18-2011, 03:50 AM
When we bump this thread in September it's going to look like a lot of people looked way too much into the first few weeks.

Pujols is going to hit over .300 and OPS over .950 even if this turns out to be an off year.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 01:00 PM
When we bump this thread in September it's going to look like a lot of people looked way too much into the first few weeks.

Pujols is going to hit over .300 and OPS over .950 even if this turns out to be an off year.

Exactly. They have played sixteen games so far, and his BABIP has been .211 -- that alone should scream regression, considering the lowest he has ever posted is .292.

Magdal, I really think you're struggling to understand sample size.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=ruthba01&t=b&year=1920

This is Babe Ruth's game log from 1920. Check out the first 18 games and then compare them to his final numbers:

First 18 Games: 2 HR, .210 BA, .290 OBP, .371 SLG, .661 OPS
End of season: 54 HR, .376 BA, .532 OBP, .847 SLG, 1.379 OPS

1920 was Babe Ruth's best year of his career, but through his first 18 games he only posted a .661 OPS (compare that to Pujols' current .721). I'm not saying Pujols is going to end up with a 1.379 OPS, because he is no Babe Ruth, but I fully expect him to finish right around 1.000, just like he always does.

Magdal
04-19-2011, 10:31 AM
Comparisons with past players can't be done in this case. Why? Fans that don't see him play every day don't know that he has changed. He is pulling ground balls at a rate like never before. I looked at a spray chart from '06 when his hits were pretty equally distributed. His chart from last year looked like a different player...EVERYTHING to left. Only ONE HR to right.

Now he is being pitched to differently by the league. Inside pitches he pulls foul, outside pitches he tries to pull, but he rolls over on the ball to produce those grounders.

He is also very conscience of the DP's which he has hit into more of than all his teamates combined....pressure! 2 years ago he hit 6 grand slams. Last year none. This year he is an automatic out with the bases jammed. Theriot and Rasmus are on base in front of him WAY more than Schumaker and Ryan were last year. Yet he has way less RBI than than the #5 hitter Berkman.

Someone mentioned his 3 decent games in a row, but did you know those were all blowouts? The Cards feasted on weak pitching to the tune of 5 strait games with 14 or more hits! They won 9 to 2, 11 to 2, 15 to 3, etc...he will still knock the snot out of a mistake, but when he has faced good pitching he looks lost up there.

You will see him in a few days. Reserve judgement 'till you see him.

Swampturkey
04-20-2011, 08:19 PM
To those bashing Pujols, I'd just like to point out that while his batting average is low, he still has 3 more homers and 4 more rbi's than your first baseman Votto, with one fewer strikeout. So it's not ALL about the batting average. I post this not to say anything negative about Votto, cause I'm not, just posting this to show that you need to look at more than one stat to determine a player's worth.

Swampturkey
04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
The guy will get his home runs, but the amount of players that he LOB is alarming. Good grief! Shumaker has more RBI than King Albert!

Yeah, and Skip has the same total of rbi's as Votto right now, even though Skip is on the DL and hasn't played in the last couple of games. What's his excuse? Actually, what's yours?

signalhome
04-20-2011, 08:38 PM
To those bashing Pujols, I'd just like to point out that while his batting average is low, he still has 3 more homers and 4 more rbi's than your first baseman Votto, with one fewer strikeout. So it's not ALL about the batting average. I post this not to say anything negative about Votto, cause I'm not, just posting this to show that you need to look at more than one stat to determine a player's worth.

To be fair, Votto's OBP is .510 and his wOBA is .492, compared to Pujols' .288 and .318, respectively (note: these are numbers entering play today, obviously Pujols will be a bit better now). There's no questioning that Votto has been the far superior player so far this year. However, I still expect Pujols to finish with numbers either on par with or better than Votto, because let's face it, Pujols is still the best in the game.

Swampturkey
04-20-2011, 09:12 PM
To be fair, Votto's OBP is .510 and his wOBA is .492, compared to Pujols' .288 and .318, respectively (note: these are numbers entering play today, obviously Pujols will be a bit better now). There's no questioning that Votto has been the far superior player so far this year. However, I still expect Pujols to finish with numbers either on par with or better than Votto, because let's face it, Pujols is still the best in the game.

I want to stress again that in no way was I bashing Votto. I was simply showing the guy who kindly pointed out to me that at one time Skip Schumaker had more rbi's than Pujols (no longer the case), that it was a pretty small sample size to being saying Pujols was a failure. Votto has many better numbers, but in terms of rbi's and HRs, he does not.

signalhome
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
I want to stress again that in no way was I bashing Votto. I was simply showing the guy who kindly pointed out to me that at one time Skip Schumaker had more rbi's than Pujols (no longer the case), that it was a pretty small sample size to being saying Pujols was a failure. Votto has many better numbers, but in terms of rbi's and HRs, he does not.

Haha, gotcha. We're on the same side of this argument. Sample size is way too small to be making the outlandish claims the OP has made.

Magdal
04-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Haha, gotcha. We're on the same side of this argument. Sample size is way too small to be making the outlandish claims the OP has made.

Outlandish? I said AP will end up .290, 100RBI and 30 HR. That is BELOW his projected stats. But like I said before, watch him grinding ground balls to 3rd time after time and make up your own mind if he is the same hitter. And go check his BA with RISP. Those numbers don't lie.

Razzle
04-22-2011, 11:12 PM
Outlandish? I said AP will end up .290, 100RBI and 30 HR. That is BELOW his projected stats. But like I said before, watch him grinding ground balls to 3rd time after time and make up your own mind if he is the same hitter. And go check his BA with RISP. Those numbers don't lie.

Those numbers don't actually tell anything either as it's an incredibly small sample size.

Magdal
04-23-2011, 02:49 AM
Those numbers don't actually tell anything either as it's an incredibly small sample size.

What did he do tonite? A weak sac fly and a single. But he DID go to right field once....maybe he has been reading my posts?

The fact remains that the ultimate slugger has YET to get 2 RBI in one AB....0 for 3 with bases loaded, and no xtra base hit with 2 on. He has ONE double! On a pace to hit 20.

Holliday and Berkman are the guys to fear. They deliver with RISP, but since AP GIDP so often they don't get that many chances!

BTW all 6 of his HRs are solo....all in blowouts. SO not clutch!

Defacto
04-23-2011, 03:09 AM

He hit a 2 run Home run on Thursday vs the Nats....

Magdal
04-23-2011, 03:28 AM
He hit a 2 run Home run on Thursday vs the Nats....

OK....I missed that game..good for him,,,now go check his production vs. teamates making 10% of the money he is making. Show me how he is 10 times more valuable.

When Theriot is batting 100 points higher than Albert that has got to set off an alarm somewhere! I won't even go into the other 5 regulars that are out hitting him....by plenty!

He is putting up numbers like a free swinging power hitter, with no clue of clutch. ONE dbl. after 21 games??? LOL.

Razzle
04-23-2011, 03:48 AM
OK....I missed that game..good for him,,,now go check his production vs. teamates making 10% of the money he is making. Show me how he is 10 times more valuable.
Who is making 1.6 million on the team (outside of the pre-arb guys) that is doing well at all? And why would he have to be 10x the player as someone being paid 10% as him anyway? This is a silly argument. You can simply say you don't like Pujols and we'll understand.

When Theriot is batting 100 points higher than Albert that has got to set off an alarm somewhere! I won't even go into the other 5 regulars that are out hitting him....by plenty!
In the past 10 games he's hit .350 with 5 homers and 11 RBI. I'm sure you think he'll hit .250 forever, but he's going to be his normal .315/35/110 self again.

He is putting up numbers like a free swinging power hitter, with no clue of clutch. ONE dbl. after 21 games??? LOL.
It's been 20 games, and maybe Pujols should stop at second on one of his homers to appease you. I'm not sure why doubles are the end-all-be-all stat now.

gilpdawg
04-23-2011, 03:50 AM
This is the funniest thread in the history of Redszone. Good lord.

Magdal
04-23-2011, 08:36 AM
This is the funniest thread in the history of Redszone. Good lord.

Is it? Do you think the Cards brass are amused that Pujols is hitting 13th on the team? That's right. 13th. There are 3 pitchers with better BA's! Without Theriot and Rasmus being on base in front of him all the time he would not have the team lead in RBI.

But he DOES lead the team in worst hitting with RISP and GIDP. AND he is on a pace to make 40 errors. :laugh:

Defacto
04-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Is it? Do you think the Cards brass are amused that Pujols is hitting 13th on the team? That's right. 13th. There are 3 pitchers with better BA's! Without Theriot and Rasmus being on base in front of him all the time he would not have the team lead in RBI.

It's an incredibly small sample size.

So, as an example, if Carpenter went 2-2 one day with a walk and Albert went 0-3 with a K and a GIDP, would you say Carpenter is the better hitter after one game?

Swampturkey
04-23-2011, 11:35 AM

But he DOES lead the team in worst hitting with RISP and GIDP. AND he is on a pace to make 40 errors. :laugh:

Do you think the Cards brass is worried? I'm a die hard Cards fan and I am not the least bit worried. When Albert Pujols has one of the lowest batting averages on your team, that's usually pretty good.

signalhome
04-23-2011, 11:55 AM
What did he do tonite? A weak sac fly and a single. But he DID go to right field once....maybe he has been reading my posts?

The fact remains that the ultimate slugger has YET to get 2 RBI in one AB....0 for 3 with bases loaded, and no xtra base hit with 2 on. He has ONE double! On a pace to hit 20.

Holliday and Berkman are the guys to fear. They deliver with RISP, but since AP GIDP so often they don't get that many chances!

Here are Pujols' HRs, including the score of the game and the WPA.

April 2nd: 2-2 game, .123 WPA
April 14th: 3-2 game, .125 WPA
April 15th: 4-2 game, .096 WPA
April 15th: 6-2 game, .024 WPA
April 20th: 0-7 game, .018 WPA (blowout)
April 21st: 4-0 game, .037 WPA

While it's true that Pujols' performance has been better when the game has not been within 4 runs (1.154 OPS when the margin >4 runs, .733 OPS within 4 runs), the majority of his home runs have actually come in this situation, mostly due to the fact that he has many more PA within 4 runs. Your statement about all of his home runs coming in blowouts is false, as three of his six have increased his team's chances of winning by at least 9.6%, which is pretty good.

Magdal
04-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I appreciate the time you took to gather those stats, Signal. As a matter of fact AP seems to be playing almost like his old self in this series! He hit his 1st HR to right center and no DPs.

Maybe the challenge of playing the Reds woke something up in the guy. :confused:

signalhome
04-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I appreciate the time you took to gather those stats, Signal. As a matter of fact AP seems to be playing almost like his old self in this series! He hit his 1st HR to right center and no DPs.

Maybe the challenge of playing the Reds woke something up in the guy. :confused:

I really hope he doesn't keep it up. I want nothing more than for Pujols to fall off the face of the earth and be terrible, if only because that makes the Reds' chances of repeating as NL Central champs a lot higher. Unfortunately, I don't think that's happening any time soon. :(

arkimadee
04-24-2011, 04:29 PM
the thread that never dies! lol.. i think its safe to say his slump is over and we can no longer talk about much he is losing it this year.. haha

Jack Burton
04-24-2011, 04:31 PM
He got back on the juice.

Magdal
04-24-2011, 05:11 PM
the thread that never dies! lol.. i think its safe to say his slump is over and we can no longer talk about much he is losing it this year.. haha Not true: He kills his team for 2 weeks and everybody says "too small a sample size"....now he does good for 2 games but that IS a big enuff size???

You forget that the man is a geezer and really between 35 and 38 yrs old w/o the benifit of HGH anymore. Like all the other big hitters of the past 5 years that are 5 yrs younger than the Dominican.

Razzle
04-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Not true: He kills his team for 2 weeks and everybody says "too small a sample size"....now he does good for 2 games but that IS a big enuff size???
The rest of his career is a pretty decent sample size to use.

You forget that the man is a geezer and really between 35 and 38 yrs old w/o the benifit of HGH anymore. Like all the other big hitters of the past 5 years that are 5 yrs younger than the Dominican.
At least you used solid facts here in your argument of why he's declining.

Magdal
04-25-2011, 02:09 AM
He had a decent series vs. the Reds. What did he get, 3 or 4 hits? Did you see him hacking at those outside pitches tonite? Did he look fearsome to you? Jesus! The old man pulled up lame just running to 1st.

Maybe the commish should do what Landis did for Ruth when he got old: let a kid tag up and run for him!

Swampturkey
04-25-2011, 12:17 PM

I didn't realize proof of age had been found. Link please? I'd love to read the article.

The Cardinals have done extensive checks into AP's age and have never found one piece of evidence to suggest he was born in any other year except 1980.

Magdal
04-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I didn't realize proof of age had been found. Link please? I'd love to read the article.

The Cardinals have done extensive checks into AP's age and have never found one piece of evidence to suggest he was born in any other year except 1980.

Just my opinion. He looks 35, he runs like 35, and is now hitting like 35. And how do you know about these "extensive checks"? Show ME that link!

The info about Dominican-gate was not exposed until AFTER he signed his 10 year deal. The fact that the Cards would not sign him to a fatter contract would seem to indicate to me that they KNOW something now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with them packing in 3 million fans every year and a total payroll of a modest 100 mil or so, don't you think they can afford to bump him up? There is a reason, my friend.

Swampturkey
04-25-2011, 08:07 PM
Just my opinion. He looks 35, he runs like 35, and is now hitting like 35. And how do you know about these "extensive checks"? Show ME that link!

The info about Dominican-gate was not exposed until AFTER he signed his 10 year deal. The fact that the Cards would not sign him to a fatter contract would seem to indicate to me that they KNOW something now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with them packing in 3 million fans every year and a total payroll of a modest 100 mil or so, don't you think they can afford to bump him up? There is a reason, my friend.

1. he has run the exact same way for 11 years. He's never had speed. He is a smart base runner, but not a fast one.
2. Unfortunatly I don't have a link to what I heard on the radio back in spring training when Pujols was the topic of conversation on EVERY SPORTS TALK show in St. Louis. They stated however that the Cardinals went to the Dominican republic and did extensive research on Pujols before signing him to his last contract in an effort to verify his age. EVERYTHING they found showed his DOB as January 16, 1980.
3. The Cardinals don't want to sign him to a 10 year deal because even at 31 years of age, they know that in 10 years, he'd be 40,41. That's old in baseball years.
4. Yes, we get 3 mil a year, but you have to remember, there's a lot of money invested in Holliday and Wainwright, because of his injury could potentially become a free agent at seasons end. The Cardinals hold an option on him that would have kicked in automatically if he'd finished the season healthy. There's also an option on Carpenter and a few other guys. We are not the Yankees. The Cardinals cannot give Pujols 30 mil a season (if that's what he's asking, but he says it is not) and expect to keep Wainwright, Carpenter, etc.

Magdal
04-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Turkey, your points are valid....but you or I don't KNOW what the Cards know or don't know on his age. Hell, nobody can even prove Obama's origins.

And ultimately it don't matter....he is playing like he's 35 even if he is only 25.

I told you guys to watch him at the plate in this series....it's clear to me that you did not. It was his best series so far and it was NOT great!

CrimsonCrusader
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
Turkey, your points are valid....but you or I don't KNOW what the Cards know or don't know on his age. Hell, nobody can even prove Obama's origins...

Mags, PLEASE don't tell me you're one of those (moron) birthers....?

Not to turn this into a political discussion...but the man's birth certificate has been online for years. Yeesh.

Your facts are wrong with THAT call...stick to AP. :confused:

cardszone
04-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Hell, nobody can even prove Obama's origins.

And now I know to not take anything you say seriously... because you're either a troll or a moron. Either way, not worth taking seriously.

Magdal
04-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Mags, PLEASE don't tell me you're one of those (moron) birthers....?

Not to turn this into a political discussion...but the man's birth certificate has been online for years. Yeesh.

Your facts are wrong with THAT call...stick to AP. :confused:No, you got me wrong....I have not an iota of doubt that the guy was born in Hawaii...just saying that all the stupid controversy can cloud the obvious. I just Used Barrack as an example of how stupid it can become.

CrimsonCrusader
04-25-2011, 11:43 PM
No, you got me wrong....I have not an iota of doubt that the guy was born in Hawaii...just saying that all the stupid controversy can cloud the obvious. I just Used Barrack as an example of how stupid it can become.

Well...I would've said..."In the case of "Barack" (proper spelling) Obama, even though I know better, some people still argue over his birth origins," etc.

I wouldn't have stated it as though "nobody" knows. Only idiot birthers don't know.

...but, they don't know much else, either.

That is all.

cardszone
04-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Well...I would've said..."In the case of "Barack" (proper spelling) Obama, even though I know better, some people still argue over his birth origins," etc.

I wouldn't have stated it as though "nobody" knows. Only idiot birthers don't know.

...but, they don't know much else, either.

That is all.

Well said.

VottoFan54
04-26-2011, 01:21 AM
Lets get this thread back on track.

It doesn't look like Pujols is going to miss much time for a hamstring strain that he has described as "very mild".

CrimsonCrusader
04-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Lets get this thread back on track.

It doesn't look like Pujols is going to miss much time for a hamstring strain that he has described as "very mild".

Sorry 'bout the detour.

Yes, it looks as though Mark Hamilton (Memphis Redbirds rook 1st baseman) MAY be slated to take his place upon the instance of an extended leave...but it looks "day-to-day," I hear.

Magdal
04-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Sorry 'bout the detour.

Yes, it looks as though Mark Hamilton (Memphis Redbirds rook 1st baseman) MAY be slated to take his place upon the instance of an extended leave...but it looks "day-to-day," I hear.Nope...the Cards can't wait to get Berkman on 1st where he belongs.

CrimsonCrusader
04-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Nope...the Cards can't wait to get Berkman on 1st where he belongs.

Lance's name was bounced around, also. I did say MAY, as in MAYbe.

Just stating the possibilities as I heard them.

Swampturkey
04-26-2011, 11:10 PM
I told you guys to watch him at the plate in this series....it's clear to me that you did not. It was his best series so far and it was NOT great!

This was NOT his best series! His best series so far was during the last road trip the Cardinals took, the series vs. the Dodgers in particular.

Magdal
05-02-2011, 02:35 PM
OK, it's been a month. His brief comeback was fleeting. BA .245....7 HRs....OBP and OPS the lowest in the league among starters. 1 dbl.... After a full month 1 dbl??? On a pace to hit 6 on the year.:eek: Usually the most walked man in the NL, he is tied for 34th. He has been IBB only 1 time! That fact prooves that the league is ON to him.

He leads the NL in 2 stats: Most GIDP, 9.....and most errors by a 1st baseman. So after a month, for the money he is being paid he is by far the worst player in the NL at the plate and on the field.

Face it folks...he's not the same guy...father time has got him. Can you imagine what's going on in the Cardinal clubhouse right now? Guys like Freese and Rasmus out playing him for the peanuts they make! Holliday and Berkman bashing like REAL stars. BTW, you never see Pujols sitting next to or chatting with them in the dugout.

Speaking of Freese, he got his hand broke last nite. That's a .350 hitter gone for a while. LaRussa actually put Albert on 3rd. Will he stay there?

Vottomatic
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM
OK, it's been a month. His brief comeback was fleeting. BA .245....7 HRs....OBP and OPS the lowest in the league among starters. 1 dbl.... After a full month 1 dbl??? On a pace to hit 6 on the year.:eek: Usually the most walked man in the NL, he is tied for 34th. He has been IBB only 1 time! That fact prooves that the league is ON to him.

He leads the NL in 2 stats: Most GIDP, 9.....and most errors by a 1st baseman. So after a month, for the money he is being paid he is by far the worst player in the NL at the plate and on the field.

Face it folks...he's not the same guy...father time has got him. Can you imagine what's going on in the Cardinal clubhouse right now? Guys like Freese and Rasmus out playing him for the peanuts they make! Holliday and Berkman bashing like REAL stars. BTW, you never see Pujols sitting next to or chatting with them in the dugout.

Speaking of Freese, he got his hand broke last nite. That's a .350 hitter gone for a while. LaRussa actually put Albert on 3rd. Will he stay there?

Well, as much as I'd like to because I hate anything to do with the Cardinals, I'm not writing a guy off after one bad month.

But then again, I hope you're right. :laugh:

Swampturkey
05-03-2011, 09:35 PM
RBI's and homers are there, just not the batting average. He's working with the hitting coach on timing. He's a bit off. He's not the first to slump. Won't be the last and it won't last.

Magdal
05-04-2011, 10:54 AM
RBI's and homers are there, just not the batting average. He's working with the hitting coach on timing. He's a bit off. He's not the first to slump. Won't be the last and it won't last.

Turkey, you as a Card fan must know that they went on a tear at the plate 2 weeks back, averaging 15 hits a GAME for 6 games. It was on the strength of that awsome week that they jumped to the top of the NL in BA. The whole team as well as AP benifitted from weak pitching. What has he done since?

To get the full picture you have to look at his full stats. What sticks out the most is his ONE dbl. for the season, and his world leading 10 GIDP batting in the 3 hole. His 7 HRs, 6 of them solo in games where they were not needed are not enough to offset his clutch failure in every other aspect of the game.

Oh, and yes, he still leads the league in most errors by a 1st baseman. LOL, he has become the Central's secret weopon in beating the Cards!

One more thing, the only thing McGwire can teach him is the proper use of a syringe.

Swampturkey
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
One more thing, the only thing McGwire can teach him is the proper use of a syringe.

McGwire has done a lot of wrong things in his career but he still knows the game and he knows what he's talking about. I'm not defending him the person, but he has done a fantastic job this season. They showed video of him working with Albert yesterday and the two were focusing on Pujols' balance at the plate. McGwire knows more about the game than you ever will.

The Cardinals also lead the NL in 2 out hits with RISP in addition to their batting ave and run scored stats being some of the best.

I'm done in this thread. Not because I agree with you on Pujols because I don't. I know my one day hall of fame first basement as I've watched him every day for over 10 years. I know his slump will not last. I'm done in this thread because you obviously can't talk baseball without slamming people or coming up with childish remarks.

CySeymour
05-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I promise you Pujols has not forgotten how to hit, or lost much ability. I would imagine he has had a stretch like this before, but it was probably mid season where his overall stats still were good. As much as I hate to admit it, he will be back to his old self, and probably fairly soon.

Magdal
05-07-2011, 08:09 PM
I promise you Pujols has not forgotten how to hit, or lost much ability. I would imagine he has had a stretch like this before, but it was probably mid season where his overall stats still were good. As much as I hate to admit it, he will be back to his old self, and probably fairly soon.

I have not forgotten how to run a 5 minute mile, but I can't anymore. As I have said before, it's not just his hitting. It's his defense and base running as well...every aspect of a players game. His WAR is horrible.

A great slugger gets a HR about once every 13 at bats...he has not had one in 13 GAMES.

For the 1st time, the Brews put on a shift today, stacking the left side. What took so long? He has been pull happy for years. AP tried to beat the shift by going to right. A weak grounder to 1st.

Vottomatic
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
MLB is probably on to Pujols about his juicing it up, and he's laid off of it right now. Thus, his offensive drop off.

Jack Burton
05-07-2011, 11:55 PM
MLB is probably on to Pujols about his juicing it up, and he's laid off of it right now. Thus, his offensive drop off.

I agree.

Razzle
05-08-2011, 12:41 AM
A great slugger gets a HR about once every 13 at bats...he has not had one in 13 GAMES.

In 2001 Bonds had a 13 game stretch where he didn't hit a homer. Long stretches of no home runs happen to everyone.

lonewolf371
05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
As someone else said the big issue is gap power. His ISO is in the range of Drew Stubbs right now.

I'm not going to say I'm certain Albert was clean, but it's a little ridiculous to make accusations like that without any evidence whatsoever. He'll get going this year, and we should all hope it isn't against the Reds.

Magdal
05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
In 2001 Bonds had a 13 game stretch where he didn't hit a homer. Long stretches of no home runs happen to everyone.Did he forget how to catch a ball, run the bases and take walks at the same time? I bet he had a dbl or 2 in that stretch. Pujols sitting on ONE still.

Razzle
05-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Did he forget how to catch a ball, run the bases and take walks at the same time? I bet he had a dbl or 2 in that stretch. Pujols sitting on ONE still.

Your arguments change all the time. You said he had not hit a homer in 13 games like that was some astronomical number for a power hitter to achieve. That's obviously not indicative of anything as the player with the season home run record had a same stretch of no homers in his record placing year.

I'm not debating that he's been bad, as he has, but I don't think he's forgotten how to hit or lost THAT much over the course of an offseason to where he is now essentially a .250/.330/.400 player.

Defacto
05-08-2011, 01:51 PM

He would have been busted by now if he was juicing.

Magdal
05-08-2011, 06:48 PM
Another example of his drop off happened today: He hit a ball into DEEP center that was lost in the sun. It dropped harmlessly on the track. But Albert just STOOD at the plate admiring it, and barely made it to second.

Last year that ball would have went out. He simply is not as strong (or smart) as he used to be.

He was awarded a double.

Oxblood
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Votto is by far the better player at this point.

Magdal
05-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Votto is by far the better player at this point.About 6 Reds are.

Oxblood
05-09-2011, 11:52 AM
About 6 Reds are.

Lol, true.

Hondo
05-09-2011, 07:49 PM
This is literally the biggest waste of a debate.

Pujols is the most consistant hitter over the last 10 years in MLB...

His 10 year run might be one of the best in the History of Baseball.

Pujols will finish along the lines of .315-40-120 and OPS over 1.000

He has the best track record in baseball. End of Story.

Magdal
05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
This is literally the biggest waste of a debate.

Pujols is the most consistant hitter over the last 10 years in MLB...

His 10 year run might be one of the best in the History of Baseball.

Pujols will finish along the lines of .315-40-120 and OPS over 1.000

He has the best track record in baseball. End of Story.LOL! You are using his last 10 years to justify his next 10? Like many you have been blinded by ESPN. AP is deserved to be awarded the all time most consistantly good hitter award for a players 1st 10 years. I will buy that.

But in that time what records has he broken for single season achievement? Just one: most GIDP by a rookie. Not only has he established no NL records, but he has no CARDINAL records! If you can find one I would like to see it.

How about his shot at career total? NO shot in the world for that. Only 1 shot for a Card record: HRs. Musial had 475. But AP has to stay in St. Louis to break that....a long shot at this point.

Razzle
05-10-2011, 12:51 AM
LOL! You are using his last 10 years to justify his next 10? Like many you have been blinded by ESPN. AP is deserved to be awarded the all time most consistantly good hitter award for a players 1st 10 years. I will buy that.
It appears he is doing the sensible thing and using his stats of the last ten years to predict what he'll do this year as opposed to only using about 150 at bats to do so.

But in that time what records has he broken for single season achievement? Just one: most GIDP by a rookie. Not only has he established no NL records, but he has no CARDINAL records! If you can find one I would like to see it.

How about his shot at career total? NO shot in the world for that. Only 1 shot for a Card record: HRs. Musial had 475. But AP has to stay in St. Louis to break that....a long shot at this point.
He holds the Cardinal record for most career grand slams as well the major league record for most assists by a first baseman. Not that it matters because if you need him to have single season or career records to validate to you that he is a special player you are either blind or don't know much about baseball.

Magdal
05-10-2011, 03:19 AM
It appears he is doing the sensible thing and using his stats of the last ten years to predict what he'll do this year as opposed to only using about 150 at bats to do so.

He holds the Cardinal record for most career grand slams as well the major league record for most assists by a first baseman. Not that it matters because if you need him to have single season or career records to validate to you that he is a special player you are either blind or don't know much about baseball.

Thank you for clueing me in on the GSs....assists?? I don't believe that. Did you know that he has not hit a GS since July 2009? Do you know how many hits he has this year with bases loaded? ONE. A single.

Your allusion that I don't know much about baseball is insulting to the max. And w/o looking it up, I'm pretty sure that several Cards have hit more GS's per at bat than the fat man. He just had more yrs to do it.

Razzle
05-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Thank you for clueing me in on the GSs....assists?? I don't believe that. Did you know that he has not hit a GS since July 2009? Do you know how many hits he has this year with bases loaded? ONE. A single.
The assists were a single season record, not the career record. I do realize he hasn't hit a grand slam since July 2009, however I also realize he has only had about 20 at bats in that time span with the bases loaded, including only five at bats this year. I don't think it's that abnormal to have only one hit in five at bats, especially for a guy who is struggling.

Your allusion that I don't know much about baseball is insulting to the max. And w/o looking it up, I'm pretty sure that several Cards have hit more GS's per at bat than the fat man. He just had more yrs to do it.
I didn't insinuate anything other than if anyone thinks that Albert Pujols is not an incredible player based on what he's done over his first ten seasons than that person is either blind or doesn't know much about baseball. I'm sorry if you fit into this category, but I'm not retracting that statement, he's an absolutely phenomenal ball player.

Magdal
05-10-2011, 12:17 PM
The assists were a single season record, not the career record. I do realize he hasn't hit a grand slam since July 2009, however I also realize he has only had about 20 at bats in that time span with the bases loaded, including only five at bats this year. I don't think it's that abnormal to have only one hit in five at bats, especially for a guy who is struggling.

I didn't insinuate anything other than if anyone thinks that Albert Pujols is not an incredible player based on what he's done over his first ten seasons than that person is either blind or doesn't know much about baseball. I'm sorry if you fit into this category, but I'm not retracting that statement, he's an absolutely phenomenal ball player.WAS, not IS.

frivolousz21
05-11-2011, 07:28 AM
WAS, not IS.

Troll

Magdal
05-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Troll

Intelligent, well thought out reply.

Seņor Rojo
05-11-2011, 09:20 PM
This may be off topic for the thread, but it's regarding Pujols' embrace with the Cubs GM before yesterday's game. All signs are pointing to the Cardinals having an uphill battle in getting him to sign a new contract with them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Cubs-fans-sure-to-embrace-Jim-Hendry-hugging-Alb?urn=mlb-wp6041

Magdal
05-11-2011, 10:31 PM
This may be off topic for the thread, but it's regarding Pujols' embrace with the Cubs GM before yesterday's game. All signs are pointing to the Cardinals having an uphill battle in getting him to sign a new contract with them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Cubs-fans-sure-to-embrace-Jim-Hendry-hugging-Alb?urn=mlb-wp6041It's not off topic. Pujols hugging and kissin' Hendry in front of the cameras is his sending a clear message that he has OPTIONS. Just like that asshat Lebron James in his NY cap.

Cubs want him, and he wants the Card brass to know it. The Cubs drop a bunch of salary next year and can afford him. It will be interesting how it all plays out.

IMO it won't help them if they get him...you could dig up Hack Wilson and they still would'nt win the pennent.

Magdal
05-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Well, you saw him for yourself. Do you see what I've been talking about? Am I a Mad Gal?

Magdal
05-17-2011, 02:28 AM
Turkey...Razzle...where are you? Your hero continues to suck monkey balls! What did he get in the all important Reds series? one for 13 and and another of his league leading errors?

When will you get the picture? Your god is OLD and fat and over the hill.

BTW, he was hitless again tonite. DUH!

Razzle
05-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Turkey...Razzle...where are you? Your hero continues to suck monkey balls! What did he get in the all important Reds series? one for 13 and and another of his league leading errors?

Still here and still patient about the whole ordeal. You act like you've never watched baseball before. He's slumping, but it's still incredibly early. Does he look different? Absolutely. He looks like he's pressing and/or potentially hiding an injury, but I don't think he'll continue to OPS .750 all year. I still think he'll finish with an ~.900 OPS. And I'll still be here to defend my stance on that if he fails to attain that mark at season's end.

bounty37h
05-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Surprised the Cards havent issued a statement that Alberts slump so far this season has been caused by the Reds hitting him on the hand this past Sunday.

Brisco
05-17-2011, 11:17 AM

It is posts like these that make me embarassed to be a Reds fan sometimes.

Albert Pujols has proven himself to be the best player in the game for a period of years. Either he is in a slump or his skills are starting to decline with age... either way, this is absolutely no reason for ridicule. Nothing he could do this season will detract from what he has already accomplished.

That said, put me down in the camp of those who believe news of his downfall is premature. (I will present my theory for his poor performance in another thread).

SwampTurkey, it is a pleasure to have you visit this board. We are both fans of the same game, if not the same team.

lonewolf371
05-17-2011, 12:07 PM
I think he's definitely headed for the worst season of his career, but we have to remember that bad for Albert is still All-Star for most players.

swaisuc
05-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I think he's definitely headed for the worst season of his career, but we have to remember that bad for Albert is still All-Star for most players.

This is about where I stand as well. There are too many signs pointing to a decline here to completely dismiss it on sample size alone. I think he'll certainly improve from where he's at today and I definitely wouldn't call that an "epic fail", but I am leaning towards believing his monster seasons of the past decade are a thing of the past.

bounty37h
05-17-2011, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=Brisco;2382418]It is posts like these that make me embarassed to be a Reds fan sometimes.

I dont understand why people say these type of things, what does what another poster have to do with you or being a Reds fan? What is it you get embarrased over?

Brisco
05-17-2011, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=Brisco;2382418]It is posts like these that make me embarassed to be a Reds fan sometimes.

I dont understand why people say these type of things, what does what another poster have to do with you or being a Reds fan? What is it you get embarrased over?

I guess the simplest answer is that i am proud of the fact that i was born in Cincinnati and I am also proud of the way the Reds have represented the City. I come to this board because I feel a kinship with others who also share my "FANatical" devotion to the Reds... and just like when my childish nephew says or does something idiotic, I get embarassed when a member of this 'family' does so as well.

That said, the Reds have long represented a "Class Act" in the world of baseball... I think that most of their fans do as well.

Magdal
05-17-2011, 04:03 PM
I think he's definitely headed for the worst season of his career, but we have to remember that bad for Albert is still All-Star for most players.You mentioned All Star. Does anyone think he will be voted to the ASG? Votto and Howard have that LOCKED up. It will be his 1st time missing it I believe. Oops! I forgot...now Berkman is in the mix at 1st.

Maybe Pujols will have a shot at 3rd, but I doubt it.

bounty37h
05-17-2011, 04:47 PM
You mentioned All Star. Does anyone think he will be voted to the ASG? Votto and Howard have that LOCKED up. It will be his 1st time missing it I believe. Oops! I forgot...now Berkman is in the mix at 1st.

Maybe Pujols will have a shot at 3rd, but I doubt it.

If only the all star game was based on talent/actual play and not jsut an overhyped popularity internet contest.

Magdal
05-17-2011, 05:36 PM
If only the all star game was based on talent/actual play and not jsut an overhyped popularity internet contest.Like Jeter, Pujols' failure this year is being widely reported. Due to his contract stance, combined with his futility he is not all that popular in ST. LOUIS, let alone anywhere else.

bounty37h
05-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Like Jeter, Pujols' failure this year is being widely reported. Due to his contract stance, combined with his futility he is not all that popular in ST. LOUIS, let alone anywhere else.

Maybe so, but I still bet they are both on ASG rosters, still takes a while for real stats to trickle down to the every day not as intense fans.

Magdal
05-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Maybe so, but I still bet they are both on ASG rosters, still takes a while for real stats to trickle down to the every day not as intense fans.Can't agree...the only way they make the roster is to be named by the manager, and I don't see either one of them accepting such a deminished role. They will demur to spend 3 "days with their families"

BTW, with Holiday and Berkman both sidelined this afternoon Albert manned up with 1 base on balls. They have been carried for over a week by guys named Descals, Korsmo, Craig and Jay.

Razzle
05-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Can't agree...the only way they make the roster is to be named by the manager, and I don't see either one of them accepting such a deminished role. They will demur to spend 3 "days with their families"

BTW, with Holiday and Berkman both sidelined this afternoon Albert manned up with 1 base on balls. They have been carried for over a week by guys named Descals, Korsmo, Craig and Jay.

Kozma has had all of one at bat and he got a double to put us up 5-0. I hardly think he is carrying the team. The Cards are being carried by starting pitching right now and nothing else.

bounty37h
05-20-2011, 10:39 AM
Can't agree...the only way they make the roster is to be named by the manager, and I don't see either one of them accepting such a deminished role. They will demur to spend 3 "days with their families"

For the record I strongly agree neither deserve it, but still think at least one of them, if not both, will be there on name alone. It happens every year, no reason to think it will stop all of a sudden this year.

Magdal
05-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Kozma has had all of one at bat and he got a double to put us up 5-0. I hardly think he is carrying the team. The Cards are being carried by starting pitching right now and nothing else.

Whose talking about pitching on this thread? And BTW, Kazma's dbl in one AB is more than Pujols in the whole SERIES.

Razzle
05-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Whose talking about pitching on this thread?
Nobody, but you were talking about people who were carrying the team. The Cards have scored a total of 14 runs, thus nobody has carried the offense this week. They've won simply because their pitching has been outstanding.

And BTW, Kazma's dbl in one AB is more than Pujols in the whole SERIES.
You say this like not having a double in a two game series is inexcusable. Had Pujols gotten a double to put the team up 5-0 it would've just been another one of your "he hits when there is no pressure" rants.

Swampturkey
09-22-2011, 08:54 PM
with 6 games left, Pujols is batting over .300, has the NL lead in homers, and is 2 rbi's away from 100.

My question is for Magdal...would you like your crow now, or would you like to wait until after the season ends?

Vottomatic
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Yeah, I checked his numbers out yesterday and had to eat a little crow myself. Should be interesting to see what the Cardinals do with him.

Swampturkey
09-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeah, I checked his numbers out yesterday and had to eat a little crow myself. Should be interesting to see what the Cardinals do with him.

I never doubted Pujols would be there at the end. He is one of those type of players that you can never count out of anything.

I'm dealing with the whole contract issue thing by not thinking about it. :)

texasdave
09-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Year OPS
2009 1.101
2010 1.011
2011 .922

This includes games through the 24th. That is trending the wrong way. .922 is an excellent OPS for most major league hitters. Not for Albert Pujols. How many years and how much money are you willing to bet that that trend reverses itself in a big way?

Swampturkey
09-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Year OPS
2009 1.101
2010 1.011
2011 .922

This includes games through the 24th. That is trending the wrong way. .922 is an excellent OPS for most major league hitters. Not for Albert Pujols. How many years and how much money are you willing to bet that that trend reverses itself in a big way?

A down year for Pujols (actually, about 3 down months cause no one in baseball has been hotter in September...he also had 2 other very good months) yes, an "epic fail" no. Many other players in baseball would LOVE to have their worst numbers being the numbers Pujols has put up this season.

Razzle
09-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Year OPS OPS+
2009 1.101 189
2010 1.011 173
2011 .922 154

Year OPS OPS+
2006 1.102 178
2007 .997 157

I remember after 2007 when people were talking about the decline of Pujols or if we were at the end of his monster years, but he rebounded of course. I'm completely concerned with the lack of walks this year, but I still think he'll post a couple more 1.000+ OPS seasons and look like the Albert of 2008-2010 again. And the trend doesn't have to reverse itself in a big way for him to be a valuable player. He's worth a ton of money if he just puts up the numbers he's putting up right now. If you think next year he's going to be an .820 OPS player, you are kidding yourself.

texasdave
09-26-2011, 10:35 PM
Year OPS OPS+
2006 1.102 178
2007 .997 157

I remember after 2007 when people were talking about the decline of Pujols or if we were at the end of his monster years, but he rebounded of course. I'm completely concerned with the lack of walks this year, but I still think he'll post a couple more 1.000+ OPS seasons and look like the Albert of 2008-2010 again. And the trend doesn't have to reverse itself in a big way for him to be a valuable player. He's worth a ton of money if he just puts up the numbers he's putting up right now. If you think next year he's going to be an .820 OPS player, you are kidding yourself.

Nobody said he was posting an .820 next year. Nobody even hinted at it.