PDA

View Full Version : Extra important weekend?

Drugs Delaney
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM
I really feel like this 3 game opening series is huge for the season overall. I know its kind of silly to think like that when the season is so crazy long. However, I think there are legit reasons that make it true:

1. I think its going to be a Reds v. Brewers division race.

2. These teams play only 3 times after the All star break, so the early games are of extra importance.

3. I have family in Milwaukee and I know the psyche of their city when it comes to the Brewers. They are excited but wary. There are tons of fans who are very, very quick to want to say "same old Brewers." The first loss with the blown save especially helps in that regard. With their injuries, there is a chance we can really put these guys in a big hole early and harm their fan support as well, which impacts their roster decisions through the summer.

4. Despite last year's success, we are similar in Cincy. The lost decade of Reds baseball has made a big portion of the fanbase cynical. You already saw it creeping out with the slow start on opening day. Winning that first game in the manner we did was huge. Winning the series would also be huge as far as attendance for the season. There are a lot of fans here taking a wait and see approach, so early success is extremely important.

5. If the Reds get off to a quick start, the fans will come. And that may be as important as anything this season. There's a good chance we'll need to make a move at the deadline this summer and if the fans show up all spring and summer, it will make it a no brainer for management to feel good about taking on some salary.

Eric the Red
04-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I think it's important as well. Not seson altering but the Reds need to win games against the better teams in the league for their confidence. Anytime we can beat MIL, STL, SF, COL, PHI or ATL it will only help us come October. Plus, always winning games against NL Central foes is big.

Bruce32
04-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I agree with both of you guys. That is what seperated us from the rest of the division last year, we were 19 games above .500 against the division. StL was .500 and Mil was below.500.

goreds2
04-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I really feel like this 3 game opening series is huge for the season overall. I know its kind of silly to think like that when the season is so crazy long. However, I think there are legit reasons that make it true:

1. I think its going to be a Reds v. Brewers division race.

2. These teams play only 3 times after the All star break, so the early games are of extra importance.

What the heck were the schedule makers (or computer program) thinking? For sure they are important as every game you play against them is a two game difference. For example, if we win tonight, we are two games up on them. If we lose, we are tied with them.

All in all, every game against every team is important. If you are going to lose, lose against the American League as it will not tamper with tie breakers if needed at the end of te season.

I am way over thinking for this early time of the season. :eek:

Krawhitham
04-02-2011, 02:17 PM
must win games to start a season?

COME ON

We will have ups and downs it is a long season, it is not like the NFL where dropping 3 of 4 games to start means the season is over

How many times last season did fans here proclaim a game a must win game only to find out they were completely wrong.

goreds2
04-02-2011, 03:25 PM

COME ON

We are not talking about MUST Wins. Important is the key word in this thread. ;)

Drugs Delaney
04-02-2011, 03:46 PM
We are not talking about MUST Wins. Important is the key word in this thread. ;)

Exactly. I don't see the phrase "must win" anywhere.

I just hypothesized that these games are bigger than normal for early in the year.

I don't normally think a fast start is absolutely crucial, but I think it is more important this year than most. Fan support/attendance early in the year will determine a lot of the future for this Reds team.

I'm personally optimistic. I think we can get off to a quick start this year. Get the city behind the team. Get to the point where maybe we're not the Yankees or anything, but we can comfortably afford 100 million or so. It matters not only for the deadline this year, but for the medium term future of this franchise.

bounty37h
04-04-2011, 12:36 PM

COME ON

We will have ups and downs it is a long season, it is not like the NFL where dropping 3 of 4 games to start means the season is over

How many times last season did fans here proclaim a game a must win game only to find out they were completely wrong.

Dont think he ever said must wins, but listed a few reasons why the games are important over the course of the season such as few return dates with the Brewers.

arkimadee
04-04-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm still not sold on the Brewers being a division favorite but these were big wins to start the season. It would be huge to get out to a big division lead but let's not forget that the Cards started out very hot last year and we see how they ended up. I think a fair assessment of a team can't come until the end of April. Last year the reds had a rough April but was able to rally for a .500 record. That being said, 3-0 sure as he'll beats 0-3.