PDA

View Full Version : Masters Week

Redhook
04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
:jump::jump::jump:

Redhook
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm not going to lie, I love the Masters and everything about it. I can't wait to watch it. I have an old roommate in the field, D.A. Points, too which will be fun to watch. Plus, I know a few pros heading down who will hopefully share some cool pics.

As far as predictions. Phil, obviously, is going to be tough. I was picking Watney months ago, but I think he peaked too early by winning a couple weeks ago and then took 2 weeks off. My non-sleeper sleeper pick is Kuchar. No one has mentioned his name this week, yet, but I could see him winning. Overall, the tournament is wide open this year with a ton of guys having a legitimate chance at winning. Is it Thursday yet?

Razor Shines
04-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Caught the end of the ESPN Doc about the '86 Masters this afternoon. I'm not sure if it was new but I'd never seen it. Nicklaus' son narrated it and they had a lot of interviews with Nicklaus, Norman even Tiger. It was pretty good from what I saw.

bucksfan2
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
I like the Masters but its probably my 3rd favorite major. Its a toss up between the Opens as my favorites. I like the "open" nature of the US Open and have played a few of the courses. I also enjoy the British Open because I have played several courses over there, the weather challenges, and the tournament is over by mid afternoon and I can get a round in afterwards.

Razor Shines
04-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Watching on masters.com from work. It really looks incredible. They have made great strides in video quality.

HotCorner
04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
There's even an Android app for the Masters. :)

MWM
04-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Looks like Rory might be running away with this thing. Once that guy wins one, I have a feeling the flood gates are going to open.

SunDeck
04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
I like watching him play. Missed opportunity there on 13, but what an approach shot after a monster drive. And speaking of which, isn't it time to quit marveling at the length these guys put up? He's averaging 306 this week, I think they said.

BuckeyeRed27
04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
So that Tiger guy...he's not bad

texasdave
04-08-2011, 06:28 PM
How about this threesome for the first two rounds:

McIlroy -10
Day -8
Fowler -5

texasdave
04-08-2011, 06:29 PM
So that Tiger guy...he's not bad

8 birdies in 15 holes. 6 in the last 8. Three holes to go. Welcome back, Eldrick.

texasdave
04-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Phil Mickelson spinning his golfing wheels at -2.

paintmered
04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Tiger with a 66 today. Game on.

BuckeyeRed27
04-08-2011, 07:10 PM
I really really hope that Tiger and Rory can duke it out on Sunday. That would be great.

MWM
04-08-2011, 07:44 PM
And to think Tiger missed a 6 footer on 16. He could be in the final group.

I still don't think he's ready yet. My guess is he's going to have one of those up and down days tomorrow where he looks like he's going on a run and the misses a 100 yard wedge shot and a few easy putts. I bet he winds up about even or +1 tomorrow and isn't a serious contender on Sunday.

Stray
04-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I think 13 or 14 under might win on Sunday if they let the course play fast, which I assume they will. If it gets into a grind I love Tiger's chances but if they're going low McIlroy might win it.

RFS62
04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Tiger.

He may not be ready, but he will be.

All those detractors are going to see him rise from the ashes.

I think this may be his return. Maybe not, I can easily see how many think he will fold.

I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be number one again.

kaldaniels
04-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Tiger.

He may not be ready, but he will be.

All those detractors are going to see him rise from the ashes.

I think this may be his return. Maybe not, I can easily see how many think he will fold.

I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be number one again.

I'm not a detractor. I just think we will never see the Tiger of old again. I don't think he will fold...I just don't think he will play good enough to win this tournament. He is in a race against the clock/his body/younger players.

MWM
04-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Tiger is striking the ball very well so far today just can't get a putt to fall.

Redhook
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Tiger is striking the ball very well so far today just can't get a putt to fall.
Tiger's putting is abysmal. He looks so uncomfortable. This new putter just isn't for him. I'm convinced of it. I'm not sure if he is though. He really needs to go back to old faithful. That putter worked great for what, 15 years? Why change?

Pretty calm day at Augusta. Usually Saturday, moving day, is the most exciting day. Not this year. But, that could bode real well for tomorrow.

kaldaniels
04-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Tiger's putting is abysmal. He looks so uncomfortable. This new putter just isn't for him. I'm convinced of it. I'm not sure if he is though. He really needs to go back to old faithful. That putter worked great for what, 15 years? Why change?

Pretty calm day at Augusta. Usually Saturday, moving day, is the most exciting day. Not this year. But, that could bode real well for tomorrow.

I'm admittedly playing with the numbers, but only 9 guys had a worse round than Tiger today.

Redhook
04-10-2011, 07:22 AM
I'm admittedly playing with the numbers, but only 9 guys had a worse round than Tiger today.

Tiger scored as high as he possibly could've yesterday. He got nothing out of his round, where as Saturday, he got the most out of it. That's golf. He hit the ball very similar both days, but his score was 8 shots apart. It's amazing what momentum can do to a round of golf.

He'll score a little better today, but it won't make a difference in the outcome. I just hope it's close on the back 9. McIlroy could potentially make the back 9 a sleeper if he plays well.

MWM
04-10-2011, 10:12 AM
McIlroy's putt at 17 was a very Tiger-esque moment. This kid is probably the only person since Tiger whose junior golfing career could measure up to Tiger's. It's not entirely unreasonable to think he could come close to matching Tiger's dominance over the next 10 years. He's that good, and it's not like this is a surprise. This was a matter of time for him. I think he winds up winning double digit majors when all is said and done.

He's a great kid, too. He played so solid with that lead yesterday. Even when he made a couple of bogeys, he wasn't phased. He's not doing anything wrong right now. The only downside is what Redhook alluded to. He could make this a boring Sunday at the Masters, and Sunday at Augusta is my favorite golf day of the year.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 03:10 PM
What an eagle for Schwartzel.

FloridaBuckeye
04-10-2011, 03:18 PM
The game is on... come on el Tigre!!!

Reds Fanatic
04-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Tiger with an eagle is 5 under today and just one stroke back.

Joseph
04-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Amazing Masters no matter if Tiger or Rory wins.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Nantz chiming in with the suggestion Tiger could shoot a 62. Calm it down Jim.

Impressive front 9 Mr. Woods.

Joseph
04-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Tied for first as Rory gives another one back.

FloridaBuckeye
04-10-2011, 03:56 PM
My money is on Tiger for sure.... Less than hour ago, Tiger was 25-1 to win the Masters at many places. If he wins, this is going to slam bookmakers.

Ready to cash in my $50 ticket....

paintmered
04-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Rory finds a birdie and is back in the lead.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Rory finds a birdie and is back in the lead.

With Woods a few holes ahead of Rory and Rory with a 1 shot lead, McIlroy still is in control. If he plays well, he wins.

BuckeyeRed27
04-10-2011, 04:32 PM
If tiger doesn't win this he has two missed three foot putts to thank for that.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Same goes for Rory. Many missed opportunities today. Gonna be good though.

Joseph
04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Tiger gives one back and the challenge gets steeper.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Cabrera is lurking around.

texasdave
04-10-2011, 04:43 PM

One might say he "Mickelsoned" this Masters if that turns out to be the case.

Hoosier Red
04-10-2011, 04:55 PM
One might say he "Mickelsoned" this Masters if that turns out to be the case.

Poor Phil, he's won 4 majors and yet he's still the first guy people think of when talking about blowing major championships.

paintmered
04-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Rory just hit an absolutely atrocious tee shot on 10. This is going to be an epic last 9 holes with so many within two shots.

Hoosier Red
04-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Rory with an absolutely atrocious tee shot on 10.

No kidding, I saw where he was lining up his second shot and I couldn't believe that was even in bounds. Good thing whomever lives there didn't have any dogs in the back yard.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 05:09 PM
wrong thread

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
7 men within a shot of the lead on the back nine.

Joseph
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Tiger done at -10.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 06:04 PM
What size jacket does Adam Scott wear?

Joseph
04-10-2011, 06:54 PM
What size jacket does Adam Scott wear?

Won't find out this year.

Congrats to Charl. Great Masters.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Won't find out this year.

Congrats to Charl. Great Masters.

That was quite a fluid leaderboard today. That eagle/shot on the front nine won it for him pretty much.

kaldaniels
04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
Worst round of the day: Rory McIlroy.

I would have lost a lot of money on that bet.

Redhook
04-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Holy smokes was that an awesome Masters. I got my wish, although I'm surprised it happened the way it did. One of the best ever. With just a few holes left, 7 guys were were within 1 shot of the lead. We may never see that many with a shot to win with so few holes left. That was crazy.

Congrats to Charl for performing his best when the pressure was at it's highest. Well done.

BTW, I still can't believe Tiger missed those short putts on the Back 9. He never does that in a major, let alone the last 9 tied for the lead.

MWM
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Tee to green Tiger was pretty much awesome all week. That's the best he's looked in years. I was skeptical as to if we'd see the real Tiger again, but after this week I'm convinced we will and very soon. He'll figure the putter out.

Razor Shines
04-10-2011, 10:42 PM
That was fun.

I always rooted for Tiger before the "whatever it was" but I've found that I root for Tiger even harder now at least today. I wanted him to get this one so bad. I almost jumped when he hit the eagle putt on 8 and I cussed him up and down when he missed that short eagle putt on 15. Up until he missed that putt I thought he was finally going to chase somebody down.

It was something for Charl to birdie those last four holes. I thought he just had a lucky front 9 with the two hole outs and would fade on the back but wow was I wrong.

I wanted Rory to come back a little to give Tiger a chance but I wouldn't have wished what happened to him after 10 on anyone. I would have probably cried too.

Betterread
04-10-2011, 11:22 PM
That was the best Masters in recent memory. It was great shot by one competitor followed by a great shot by another. If they had played another few holes Day might have overcome Charl, but it had to end.
And the last hole Luke Donald played was awesome, only to be exceeded by the unnecessary birdie by Charl.
Tiger is a sore loser. That's bad for him, because he ought to get used to it.

MikeThierry
04-10-2011, 11:48 PM
This is totally unrelated to the play on the field but did anyone catch Jason Day's wife.....

Quoted from the great movie "Robocop".... I'd buy that for a dollar.

Razor Shines
04-10-2011, 11:53 PM
That was the best Masters in recent memory. It was great shot by one competitor followed by a great shot by another. If they had played another few holes Day might have overcome Charl, but it had to end.
And the last hole Luke Donald played was awesome, only to be exceeded by the unnecessary birdie by Charl.

I didn't see what tiger said? Either way most elite pro athletes are sore losers.

Hoosier Red
04-11-2011, 09:45 AM

What's funny is that from about the time Schwarzel had his eagle at 3, and Tiger had his Eagle at 8, there just didn't seem to be a whole lot of action. For about two hours it seemed like players would join the club of 2 shots or fewer from the lead, but no one was really going to be lower than -10 or -11.

Than all of a sudden, the last hour and a half was nothing but birdies and eagles. Very cool to watch.

SunDeck
04-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I couldn't help but think that ESPN, CBS and PGA are probably bummed that the Masters was won by the guy least familiar to everyone. Of course, now he's a household name to the golf world, but it always seems like they are disappointed when the winner is not a "winner".

Great show though- I enjoyed every minute of it. And I'm reminded that golf is a humbling game when I see guys fall apart on the last round.

BuckeyeRed27
04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
I couldn't help but think that ESPN, CBS and PGA are probably bummed that the Masters was won by the guy least familiar to everyone. Of course, now he's a household name to the golf world, but it always seems like they are disappointed when the winner is not a "winner".

Great show though- I enjoyed every minute of it. And I'm reminded that golf is a humbling game when I see guys fall apart on the last round.

I don't think they minded too much given how it went down. It was close the whole way and Tiger had people watching all day.

They probably didn't like how Louis Oosthouserioesr won the British last year.

Razor Shines
04-11-2011, 03:15 PM
I live next to a golf course and this morning I went out to hit a quick bucket before work. I walking over and the side walk runs a long the 8th tee. There was an older man about to tee off and he had to be in his 60s. But he was in pretty good shape and had a fairly long swing for someone his age.

So I watched as he hit a pretty good tee shot and as he held his follow through he spun the club and let the head fall down to his hands. And I started laughing, it was very strange to see a guy his age do the "Tiger Twirl".

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Holy smokes was that an awesome Masters. I got my wish, although I'm surprised it happened the way it did. One of the best ever. With just a few holes left, 7 guys were were within 1 shot of the lead. We may never see that many with a shot to win with so few holes left. That was crazy.

Congrats to Charl for performing his best when the pressure was at it's highest. Well done.

BTW, I still can't believe Tiger missed those short putts on the Back 9. He never does that in a major, let alone the last 9 tied for the lead.

Yes. It was an absolutely great Master's tournament, but most especially, the final round.

bucksfan2
04-11-2011, 03:44 PM
I live next to a golf course and this morning I went out to hit a quick bucket before work. I walking over and the side walk runs a long the 8th tee. There was an older man about to tee off and he had to be in his 60s. But he was in pretty good shape and had a fairly long swing for someone his age.

So I watched as he hit a pretty good tee shot and as he held his follow through he spun the club and let the head fall down to his hands. And I started laughing, it was very strange to see a guy his age do the "Tiger Twirl".

The "Tiger Twirl" had been done years before Tiger had played. Heck that older guy was probably doing the Tiger Twirl before Tiger was born.

paintmered
04-11-2011, 05:23 PM
I don't think they minded too much given how it went down. It was close the whole way and Tiger had people watching all day.

They probably didn't like how Louis Oosthouserioesr won the British last year.

The guy filling in for Gottleib on ESPN radio is talking about the biggest story of this year's Masters, and whether it was the run by Tiger or the collapse by Rory. It's neither. The story was that for the better part of the back nine, you had two pages of leaderboard with a share of the lead or within two shots of it. It was as wide open of a tournament as I've ever seen on golf's greatest stage. It's indicative of the parity that exists in golf right now and the problems that it creates. It makes marketing the game very difficult.

It's really easy to hype a tournament as "Tiger vs. Phil" or "Tiger vs. The World". It's very difficult hype a tournament as "75 guys have a legitimate chance of winning." Golf, in terms of competition, is very healthy because there is so much parity at a high level. But the guys in charge of marketing it have to pulling out their hair as yet another unknown wins a major.

Razor Shines
04-11-2011, 06:01 PM
The "Tiger Twirl" had been done years before Tiger had played. Heck that older guy was probably doing the Tiger Twirl before Tiger was born.

Eh, could be. But he did exactly how Tiger does it.

Plus, I thought it was frowned upon by older golfers. My grandfather is 70 and he was at one time a scratch golfer and is still very good today. And if he was playing with someone that spun their club like that he'd probably drive off in the cart before they stopped spinning it and make the guy walk to his ball.

Man, as a kid I remember times when I'd hit a really good drive off the tee and hold the pose and he'd say "you waitin' for someone to take a picture? Good shot. Let's go." I remember hearing that as early as age 11.

He used play a lot of tennis at the club as well and always talk about how he and his doubles partner beat a couple of "racket spinners".

bucksfan2
04-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Eh, could be. But he did exactly how Tiger does it.

Plus, I thought it was frowned upon by older golfers. My grandfather is 70 and he was at one time a scratch golfer and is still very good today. And if he was playing with someone that spun their club like that he'd probably drive off in the cart before they stopped spinning it and make the guy walk to his ball.

Man, as a kid I remember times when I'd hit a really good drive off the tee and hold the pose and he'd say "you waitin' for someone to take a picture? Good shot. Let's go." I remember hearing that as early as age 11.

He used play a lot of tennis at the club as well and always talk about how he and his doubles partner beat a couple of "racket spinners".

I had been taught that you hold your pose until the ball reaches its destination. Often times on a good shot I will let my club slide through my hands. I can't ever remembering the twirl but it wouldn't surprise me if I caught my self doing it from time to time.

Razor Shines
04-12-2011, 01:08 PM
I had been taught that you hold your pose until the ball reaches its destination. Often times on a good shot I will let my club slide through my hands. I can't ever remembering the twirl but it wouldn't surprise me if I caught my self doing it from time to time.

Yeah, that's how I was taught by my dad as well. Just made it kinda difficult to play with Grandpa when we were down in Florida. He's certainly eased up as he got older, like that I am now allowed to where shorts when playing with him.