PDA

View Full Version : Duran’s power already impressing Dragons teammates

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2011, 11:45 AM
From the DDN:

DAYTON — Juan Duran, who will play right field when the Dragons open the Midwest League season Thursday against Bowling Green, already is wowing teammates with his power displays.

Well, in batting practice anyway.

“He’s huge,” relief pitcher Jason Braun said. “When he gets (his arms) extended, the ball just flies.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/durans-power-already-impressing-dragons-teammates-1128218.html

The DARK
04-06-2011, 05:15 PM
If he can get his tools together, I see him having a huge year.

NorrisHopper30
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I'm much more excited about Yorman, but Duran still intrigues me very much...I love both signings.

Benihana
04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Dunn and Kearns. Stubbs and Bruce.

Reds superstar OF prospects always come in pairs.

Could Yorman and Duran be next?

BakoTheTako
04-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Well we did know this when we signed him. The question always was whether or not he has the actual ability to hit.

TOBTTReds
04-06-2011, 08:20 PM
And Billy Hamilton is Kenny Lewis!

Haha, just kidding (I hope). Hoping to make it this weekend to see them. Great group.

JayBruceFan
04-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Saw a few balls out on Monument and Sears Street when I was leaving the ball park today, Duran must have been the one that hit them.

mth123
04-07-2011, 02:54 AM
Duran is my pick to break-out in 2011.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2011, 03:02 AM
Duran is my pick to break-out in 2011.

He's mine as well.

OnBaseMachine
05-13-2011, 06:11 PM
Quick update on Juan Duran. Through roughly 105 plate appearances, he's hitting .253/.369/.437 - .806 OPS with Dayton. That's pretty dang good for a 19-year old kid in the Midwest League, especially one who is as raw as Duran is. He still has a big time ceiling.

Superdude
05-13-2011, 10:09 PM
The strikeouts are still a red flag, but just the fact that he's holding his own is an encouraging step forward.

LoganBuck
05-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Gotta like that OBP with his size. I look forward to catching a few Dragons games soon.

OnBaseMachine
05-19-2011, 02:56 PM
From th DDN:

QUITE A BLAST: Teammates swear they have seen 6-foot-7 outfielder Juan Duran clear the scoreboard in batting practice. In the sixth inning of Wednesday’s opener, Duran hit one on top of the brick building that houses a concession stand just below the scoreboard. The blast, with two runners aboard, broke the game open.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/corcino-starting-to-look-a-lot-like-cueto-1163666.html

Reds Fanatic
05-19-2011, 03:15 PM
From th DDN:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/corcino-starting-to-look-a-lot-like-cueto-1163666.html

I was at the Dragons game last night and that was one of the longest home runs I have seen hit in that park. I have been impressed in the games I seen Duran play so far this year.

medford
05-19-2011, 03:37 PM
For anyone that hasn't seen a Dragons game live, hitting on top of that Brick building is a long, long, long homer. Wow!

Hypnotoad
05-19-2011, 03:42 PM
I will also chime in that the homer was a blast.

The DARK
05-19-2011, 06:15 PM
Color me impressed. He may have a long way to go to reach the majors (young, toolsy players like him always do), but his upside looks pretty amazing right now.

Out of curiosity, why is Yorman Rodriguez consistently ranked higher than Duran on prospect lists?

dougdirt
05-19-2011, 06:47 PM
Color me impressed. He may have a long way to go to reach the majors (young, toolsy players like him always do), but his upside looks pretty amazing right now.

Out of curiosity, why is Yorman Rodriguez consistently ranked higher than Duran on prospect lists?

Better athleticism, better hit tool, better speed, could still have a chance to stick in CF. He also project to have above average power (not in the same league as Duran does though).

Both have two warts on their offensive resume though. Yorman doesn't have good plate discipline right now and it must improve in time or he won't be able to use his tools to their full extent. Duran must figure out a way to cut down the strikeouts. Regardless of his other tools, it is going to hold him back if he can't get them down to around 25% of his PA's.

traderumor
05-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Duran sounds like he could be Mike Stanton, which would be cool, or Kyle Blanks, which would be not so cool. Big guy, prodigious power, lots of Ks---well, Marty will be retired or dead by the time he gets here anyhow ;)

Benihana
05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Better athleticism, better hit tool, better speed, could still have a chance to stick in CF. He also project to have above average power (not in the same league as Duran does though).

Both have two warts on their offensive resume though. Yorman doesn't have good plate discipline right now and it must improve in time or he won't be able to use his tools to their full extent. Duran must figure out a way to cut down the strikeouts. Regardless of his other tools, it is going to hold him back if he can't get them down to around 25% of his PA's.

I doubt Yorman will stick in CF.

Good to see Duran doing well. Have to remember these guys are only 18 and already in A ball. Yankees sensation Gary Sanchez is another 18 year old floundering in A ball, and I don't think they are particularly concerned.

If they repeat Dayton next year and continue to struggle, then I'll start to be somewhat concerned.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-20-2011, 09:36 PM
I bet Duran catches up to Yormon on every ranking list by the end of this season.

I love those 16 walks too.

BakoTheTako
05-20-2011, 09:55 PM
He looks pretty darn coordinated for someone who is 6'7"ish. I like what I see.

RedEye
05-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Who are the comps for this guy on a sheer physical basis? Richie Sexson? Dave Winfield? Darryl Strawberry?

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2011, 02:35 PM
From Kevin Goldstein:

Scout just told me that #Reds OF Juan Duran has made huge progress in last six weeks or so. "He's like a different person."

http://twitter.com/Kevin_Goldstein

RedsManRick
07-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Still striking out like there's no tomorrow, but taking some walks as well. When he doesn't walk, he's struck out 47% of the time. A .452 BABIP goes a long way. Though if he's a power beast, a good part of that could be low A fielders just not getting the job done.

.259/.353/.466, 24 BB, 81 K

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2011, 05:13 PM
From the DDN:

Big night for Juan: Juan Duran powered Dayton’s offense on Friday, hitting two home runs and collecting five RBIs.

Duran’s first home run landed just to the right of the 402 sign in right-center field. His second was more impressive. After working the count full, he blasted one that struck the bottom end of the Dragons’ scoreboard in left-center field.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/dragons-pitching-staff-makes-its-bid-for-next-level-1198557.html

dougdirt
07-04-2011, 01:30 PM
From the DDN:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/dayton-dragons/dragons-pitching-staff-makes-its-bid-for-next-level-1198557.html

While that is impressive, he reportedly hit one over the Dragons scoreboard in BP. http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/2010/02/25/WNWJhZzb.jpg

If true, that is an incredible shot.

fearofpopvol1
07-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Could Duran be the next Wily Mo (albeit with better defense)?

RedLegsToday
07-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Could Duran be the next Wily Mo (albeit with better defense)?

Hopefully, more like the next Adam Dunn w/better defense.

This Dragon's team is so young. Torreyes, Duran, and Rodriguez are all still teenagers and must be among the youngest players in the Midwest League. Hamilton, Corcino and Barnhart are 20. They all could repeat the Midwest League next year and they still wouldn't be too old for the league. I can't remember the Reds ever having so many young'uns in full-season ball.

medford
07-05-2011, 12:34 PM
I think a lot of credit is due to Delino and Co w/ molding this team. I took them in last week, for the first time all season. I was really impressed with the overall team approach, as well as the overall aggressiness they displayed. I wonder if the Reds are thinking of Delino as a possible Dusty replacement down the road.

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2011, 04:00 PM
From Kevin Goldstein:

Juan Duran, OF, Reds (Low-A Dayton)
Duran was one of the biggest international signings in 2008 when he received a $2 million bonus, but his career has been defined by his size more than anything else. A 6-foot-3 classic toolsy outfielder when he first signed, he's now 6-foot-7, and the new height led to serious problems both in the field and at the plate, as he went from lanky to gangly and awkward. Still just 19, Duran seems to slowly be finding himself comfortable in his own skin. After hitting .214 in April, he's been among the most dangerous hitters in the league, going 6-for-15 with three home runs over the weekend to lift his season line to .269/.359/.489. Billy Hamilton and Yorman Rodriguez were supposed to be the big stories this year at Dayton, but Duran has been stealing the show lately.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=14437

JayBruceFan
07-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Yorman has decent power too

For those familiar with the stadium, Yorman hit a ball off the clock on the scoreboard on a line during BP late last week

Now that was impressive