PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Early Entry Thread

WVRed
04-07-2011, 01:45 AM
With the coaching carousel thread I thought this would be a good one for the NBA draft and defections:

Kyrie Irving is officially going pro:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2011/news/story?id=6301656

I'd venture to say Irving is a top 3 pick. Only ones I would consider would be Derrick Williams from Arizona or Perry Jones from Baylor.

cumberlandreds
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Trey Thompkins of UGA has entered the draft and hired an agent. So he's done in college.

Buckeye33
04-07-2011, 11:41 AM
The Richmond kid from Illinois declared and supposedly hired an agent. Guess his family really needs $$ because while he is a solid player, I can't see him being a 1st round pick.

Revering4Blue
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
UCLA's Tyler Honeycutt and the Morris twins of Kansas are taking the plunge.

WVRed
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I guess Zeller and Henson are staying put. Harrison Barnes is going to take more time to decide.

I see Henson and Zeller staying, but Barnes is likely a top 5 pick, regardless of what Roy Williams says. I don't think he could do much to improve his draft stock, especially with a loaded class next year coming in.

Revering4Blue
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
I'll be surprised if Barnes returns for the reasons you just mentioned.

Anyway, here's a tracker:

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1208395

ruREaDy2
04-08-2011, 11:46 AM
It's amazing how much these NBA scouts project players based on potential. I don't know if you guys are remember former Louisville forward Samardo Samuels, but here's a guy that ESPN/USA Today tabbed as the #1 high school prospect coming out of high school in '08. Had he been able to turn pro then he would have most assuredly been a top 10 lottery pick. He goes on to Louisville and as a freshman starts every game and helps the Cards to a #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.
However, at this point he's on a team with two other NBA lottery picks (Terrence Williams and Earl Clark). So his value drops from top 10 to late first-round in one season. Then in his sophomore year he averages 16 PPG and 9 RBP while being the focal point of the offense. That year's Louisville team gets bounced in the first-round of the NCAA tournament. Samuel's decides to turn pro given his family's dire financial situation and goes undrafted. Luckily the Cleveland Cavs picked him up as a FA, but how in the world does a player improve year-to-year, but yet sees his draft stock value drop each year? Potential. NBA teams put way too much value into potential when grading out these players in my honest opinion. Yea, yea I know they most of these guys loaded with potential are young and raw, but if I'm a GM give me a 3 or 4 year college guy that knows how to win and is experienced over someone tabbed with "potential".

Chip R
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm not sure why these guys are going pro when there appears that there's going to be a work stoppage that has more of a chance at delaying the season than the NFL situation. They aren't going to get paid if there is no basketball to play.

Scrap Irony
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
It's amazing how much these NBA scouts project players based on potential. I don't know if you guys are remember former Louisville forward Samardo Samuels, but here's a guy that ESPN/USA Today tabbed as the #1 high school prospect coming out of high school in '08. Had he been able to turn pro then he would have most assuredly been a top 10 lottery pick. He goes on to Louisville and as a freshman starts every game and helps the Cards to a #1 overall seed in the NCAA tourney.
However, at this point he's on a team with two other NBA lottery picks (Terrence Williams and Earl Clark). So his value drops from top 10 to late first-round in one season. Then in his sophomore year he averages 16 PPG and 9 RBP while being the focal point of the offense. That year's Louisville team gets bounced in the first-round of the NCAA tournament. Samuel's decides to turn pro given his family's dire financial situation and goes undrafted. Luckily the Cleveland Cavs picked him up as a FA, but how in the world does a player improve year-to-year, but yet sees his draft stock value drop each year? Potential. NBA teams put way too much value into potential when grading out these players in my honest opinion. Yea, yea I know they most of these guys loaded with potential are young and raw, but if I'm a GM give me a 3 or 4 year college guy that knows how to win and is experienced over someone tabbed with "potential".

Samuels' handle was exposed, as was his range.

In high school they projected Samardo as a long power forward with 20-23 foot range, who could also put the ball on the floor to get around defenders. They also projected him to defend quite a bit better.

High school evaluators missed on his lateral quickness (or lack thereof), too.

As a result, his pro potential took a major hit.

As to potential, my opinion is that those veteran college guys are relatively easy to find on the free agent front. The potential is a lottery ticket that could get punched.

Looking back, would you rather have a team of Kerry Kittles, Erick Dampier, and Todd Fullers, or would you rather gamble on Kobe Bryant?

ruREaDy2
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Scrap Irony,

You make some valid points. It's almost as if these players that are highly touted coming out of high school should just sit out in college so that they don't get their weaknesses exposed (i.e.- UK's Enes Kanter, Duke's Kyrie Irving to some extent due to injury). That's unrealistic I know, but it is kinda the way the NBA evaluation system is set up now.

And as far as whether or not to take a gamble on a Kobe type player; you have a better chance at getting a Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Jonathan Bender, or Darko Milicic type bust than a NBA star. Which I'm sure you already know, but point taken, point taken.

reds1869
04-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Not going to the NBA, but Jordan Latham and Jay Canty are transferring away from Xavier.

Puffy
04-08-2011, 05:51 PM
I see Henson and Zeller staying, but Barnes is likely a top 5 pick, regardless of what Roy Williams says. I don't think he could do much to improve his draft stock, especially with a loaded class next year coming in.

Roy Williams has not said anything except that Harrison and he were still gathering info. What Chad Ford reported was blatently wrong.

And there is plenty Barnes can do to improve his draft status. Starting with ballhandling. He was not great with that all year.

WVRed
04-09-2011, 12:30 AM
Roy Williams has not said anything except that Harrison and he were still gathering info. What Chad Ford reported was blatently wrong.

And there is plenty Barnes can do to improve his draft status. Starting with ballhandling. He was not great with that all year.

If you are being projected as a top 3 pick, there really isn't that much you can do to improve your stock. A lot could depend on whether or not Derrick Williams comes out. If he stays at Arizona, Barnes is immediately the top SF available.

As for the ballhandling, the NBA drafts solely on talent. If anything, staying in school for an extra year generally hurts your draft stock, especially if you get hurt.

Don't get me wrong, I would be ecstatic if Jones, Knight, Lamb, and Liggins all announced they were coming back next year. If one of them got hurt and it cost them millions though, I would be questioning whether they made the right choice.

RiverRat13
04-09-2011, 10:03 PM
If you are being projected as a top 3 pick, there really isn't that much you can do to improve your stock.

There's a big difference between improving your stock and making sure you are ready to be a productive NBA player. And if the league gets its way in reducing contract length, I think it will be even more advantageous for players to do the latter.

Puffy
04-10-2011, 01:27 PM
There's a big difference between improving your stock and making sure you are ready to be a productive NBA player. And if the league gets its way in reducing contract length, I think it will be even more advantageous for players to do the latter.

Exactly. Everyone is so quick to point out the money angle. These kids will be giving up millions to go back, blah, blah, blah. The simple fact of the matter is most 19 year old kids are not ready to play an NBA season.

The lionshare of these kids who leave early play less than 20 minutes per game their rookie year. They go from never having sat on the bench to playing about a quarter plus 6 minutes per game. Basically they get paid to sit on the bench. The longer you stay in college, sure you might not improve your draft stock but you become more NBA ready and once you get in league you then get in running.

Me, my feelings are the money will always be there. WVRed you keep mentioning injuries - name me 5 guys who had draft altering injuries in the last 5 years? How bout 10 years. No where near the percentage you are making it out to be. So, the money will be there why not stay where you can play 35 plus a game, win and win big, and get yourself more mature to be able to handle the rigors of NBA life?

My point is I don't begrudge these kids one way or another. If they want to stay then by all means they should. If they want to leave then they should. Each kid is different so who are we to judge them.

bucksfan2
04-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Exactly. Everyone is so quick to point out the money angle. These kids will be giving up millions to go back, blah, blah, blah. The simple fact of the matter is most 19 year old kids are not ready to play an NBA season.

The lionshare of these kids who leave early play less than 20 minutes per game their rookie year. They go from never having sat on the bench to playing about a quarter plus 6 minutes per game. Basically they get paid to sit on the bench. The longer you stay in college, sure you might not improve your draft stock but you become more NBA ready and once you get in league you then get in running.

Its the biggest problem in the NBA right now if you ask me. They draft too much on potential and the worst team doesn't get the best chance to improve. Every once in a while you have a unique talent come out like LeBron but in other years you have guys like Beasley and Oden come out. Not bad players, one doomed by injury, but it didn't help the team they were drafted by.

Too many of these teams draft upon development and potential. They draft guys who will need at least 2 years of development before they are able to play at a level demanded in the NBA. And even the players who are successful often have a glaring flaw in their game. I can look at Carmelo and its his unwillingness to play defense or even LeBron doesn't have the finesse that the great players of yesteryear had. There are a lot of nuances that need to be developed that many of the better players just don't develop in today's game.

I look at Evan Turner as a perfect example of both sides of the argument. He was a late 1st round pick after his Soph year. He made great strides in his 2nd year at OSU but he was still a very raw product. Even in his great Jr. season he needed some work. He improved a great deal, improved to the 2nd pick in the draft, but his ball handling left a little to be desired. He wasn't a finished product, but had shown a great deal of improvement from his Soph season to his Jr season. IMO he made the right decision to leave after his Jr. season but there were still some aspects of his game that could have used some full time tutelage.

WVRed
04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Looks like Kemba Walker will be going pro. Not exactly a shock, I thought he was honored during the senior night ceremonies assuring that he was going pro.

Revering4Blue
04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
Baylor freshman star Perry Jones not going pro yet.

http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-baylor-jonesstaying

cumberlandreds
04-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Baylor freshman star Perry Jones not going pro yet.

http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-baylor-jonesstaying (http://http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-baylor-jonesstaying)

That's a shocker. I thought he would go for sure.

Razor Shines
04-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Heard on the radio that Butler's Shelvin Mack will enter the draft but won't hire an agent.

WVRed
04-12-2011, 03:46 PM
That's a shocker. I thought he would go for sure.

Tell me about it. Perry Jones returning plus Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello.

How does Scott Drew bring in blue chip recruits to Waco, let alone keep them there for an extra season?

NJReds
04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Looks like Kemba Walker will be going pro. Not exactly a shock, I thought he was honored during the senior night ceremonies assuring that he was going pro.

FWIW, I heard today on the radio that Walker is graduating early and will receive his diploma this spring.

texasdave
04-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Add Derrick Williams to the mix. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/04/13/williams.nba.draft.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

Revering4Blue
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Three more are heading to the show:

FSU's Chris Singleton plans to hire an agent. A lockdown defender.. He's ready.

I'm not so sure about the next two:

UCLA's Malcolm Lee.

Georgia's Travis Leslie.

Boston Red
04-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Tu Holloway declared but is not hiring an agent.

LexRedsFan
04-14-2011, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure why these guys are going pro when there appears that there's going to be a work stoppage that has more of a chance at delaying the season than the NFL situation. They aren't going to get paid if there is no basketball to play.

Look at a guy like Kemba. Is his stock ever going to be higher than now? Especially with only Irving coming out amongst projected lottery picks so far.

Puffy
04-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Look at a guy like Kemba. Is his stock ever going to be higher than now? Especially with only Irving coming out amongst projected lottery picks so far.

Not only that but he will be graduating in May. So to play another year he would have to enroll in a Masters program.

Chip R
04-14-2011, 04:33 PM

In a normal year, without the concern of a work stoppage, I'd agree with you.

Not only that but he will be graduating in May. So to play another year he would have to enroll in a Masters program.

I'm sure U Conn would accept him into a graduate program without much fuss. And he can always take the path a lot of these 1 and dones do: Take enough classes to be eligible in the fall semester then not even go to classes in the 2nd semester.

Buckeye33
04-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Selby is going pro and hiring an agent.

WVRed
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM

Scary part is that if Knight declares (and I think he will), there are two PG's I would take over Kemba and all three will end up in the lottery (Irving being the other).

I think Brandon Knight is going to ultimately be a top 5 pick, especially with the class being as weak as it is. He has question marks, but I think once the workouts start and he works with the teams he will move up the draft boards pretty quick. The only reason I could see him coming back is that he is academically a junior and is very high on academics. He could return to get his degree, but I think he is gone.

As for Kemba, the biggest knock is that he is undersized for a NBA PG. But then again, so is Chris Paul.

Revering4Blue
04-14-2011, 10:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37862/nba-insider-chad-ford

Dan (Buffalo, NY) Any news on Barnes? Still leaning towards returning?

Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

He is. But every day that passes without him making a statement has to make Tar Heel fans worry. I think he wants to go back to school and try to win a championship. UNC would be the odds on favorites if he returns. But he's a Top 3 pick this year. Maybe
No. 1 overall. That's tough to walk away from -- lockout or no lockout.

Revering4Blue
04-14-2011, 11:02 PM
Surprising no one, San Diego State forward Kawhi Leonard--The next Gerald Wallace-- has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft and intends to hire an agent.

nmculbreth
04-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Scary part is that if Knight declares (and I think he will), there are two PG's I would take over Kemba and all three will end up in the lottery (Irving being the other).

I think Brandon Knight is going to ultimately be a top 5 pick, especially with the class being as weak as it is. He has question marks, but I think once the workouts start and he works with the teams he will move up the draft boards pretty quick. The only reason I could see him coming back is that he is academically a junior and is very high on academics. He could return to get his degree, but I think he is gone.

As for Kemba, the biggest knock is that he is undersized for a NBA PG. But then again, so is Chris Paul.

The problem is that Kemba Walker isn't quite as athletic as Chris Paul and that he is more of a scorer than he is a distributor. I question whether or not he's going to be able to transition to become a true PG or if he's a SG trapped in a PG's body. I suppose all it takes is one team to fall in love with him but I could see him slipping out of the lottery, even with a weak draft class.

WVRed
04-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Harrison Barnes to return to UNC for sophomore season.

It's a longshot, but should UK happen to return all of their players, this is what you get to look forward to in December:

Kentucky:
Michael Gilchrist (Fr)
Anthony Davis (Fr)
Marquis Teague (Fr)
Kyle Wiltjer (Fr)
Terrence Jones (So)
Brandon Knight (So)
Doron Lamb (So)

North Carolina:
James McAdoo (Fr)
PJ Hairston (Fr)
Kendall Marshall (So)
Reggie Bullock (So)
Harrison Barnes (So)
John Henson (Jr)
Dexter Strickland (Jr)
Tyler Zeller (Sr)

That is 15 McDonalds All American's in the same game. I'd say Kentucky loses Knight for sure and maybe Jones though, but its still nice to dream about the talent on that game. Might be a possible national championship game.

cumberlandreds
04-18-2011, 12:15 PM
UNC will be the prohibitive number one team going into next season. They are loaded. They should be nearly as good as their 2009 team.
If Knight and Jones do come back UK could be there with them. But they still may be just a tick behind even with everyone back.

Puffy
04-18-2011, 01:39 PM
UNC will be the prohibitive number one team going into next season. They are loaded. They should be nearly as good as their 2009 team.
If Knight and Jones do come back UK could be there with them. But they still may be just a tick behind even with everyone back.

Well, the big difference is the 2009 team had Wayne Ellington and his 3 ball. This team needs Bullock, Hairston and Barnes to step up from beyond the arc (and to defend it like the 09 team once the tourney rolled around) to be as "loaded" as the 09 team.

That said, the Final Four is in New Orleans and I am already looking to get tickets just in case because I think UNC has excellent shot to get there.

TeamSelig
04-18-2011, 04:05 PM
This draft class is going to suck IMO

dabvu2498
04-18-2011, 04:11 PM
This draft class is going to suck IMO

I believe that's been the consensus since early on.

TeamSelig
04-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I believe that's been the consensus since early on.

I don't get into the early projections too much. It's always "this is the worst class ever" or "this is the greatest class ever"... but it seems like several lottery picks are staying another year... in the past, usually there's only one or so that goes back to school.

As a GM, I think I would look to trade my pick for one next year... which is going to be LOADED

WVRed
04-18-2011, 11:16 PM

This is where I disagree.

If we return everybody (doubtful), this is still the same team minus Jorts that knocked off UNC in the tournament. Consider what Kentucky is adding and I would say it's going to be more like 1a and 1b for Kentucky and North Carolina next year.

dabvu2498
04-19-2011, 02:16 AM
I don't get into the early projections too much. It's always "this is the worst class ever" or "this is the greatest class ever"... but it seems like several lottery picks are staying another year... in the past, usually there's only one or so that goes back to school.

As a GM, I think I would look to trade my pick for one next year... which is going to be LOADED

But the consensus was that it was a fairly weak freshman class to begin with.

Scrap Irony
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Many are worried-- rightfully so-- about a lockout, a year-long work stoppage, and how to afford life in the meantime. (I'm guessing prospective agents would possibly float loans to lottery picks, but expect some serious interest rates in the meantime. And what happens if you don't get picked where you think you will be? And what happens when you don't repay the loan, conveniently forgetting that agent's largesse?)

Much easier to stay in school the extra year and wait it out while getting the free education, free food, free clothing so many do. It's not like it's seriously difficult. This is probably the best time of their young lives. (It was for me, anyway, and likely 90% of the board.)

Chip R
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Many are worried-- rightfully so-- about a lockout, a year-long work stoppage, and how to afford life in the meantime. (I'm guessing prospective agents would possibly float loans to lottery picks, but expect some serious interest rates in the meantime. And what happens if you don't get picked where you think you will be? And what happens when you don't repay the loan, conveniently forgetting that agent's largesse?)

I seem to recall a recent story about clients who got loans from Scott Boros when they first started and they can't/won't pay them back.

Much easier to stay in school the extra year and wait it out while getting the free education, free food, free clothing so many do. It's not like it's seriously difficult. This is probably the best time of their young lives. (It was for me, anyway, and likely 90% of the board.)

That's all true. However one injury could put an end to those NBA dreams.

Scrap Irony
04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Harrison Barnes to return to UNC for sophomore season.

It's a longshot, but should UK happen to return all of their players, this is what you get to look forward to in December:

Kentucky:
Michael Gilchrist (Fr)
Anthony Davis (Fr)
Marquis Teague (Fr)
Kyle Wiltjer (Fr)
Terrence Jones (So)
Brandon Knight (So)
Doron Lamb (So)

North Carolina:
James McAdoo (Fr)
PJ Hairston (Fr)
Kendall Marshall (So)
Reggie Bullock (So)
Harrison Barnes (So)
John Henson (Jr)
Dexter Strickland (Jr)
Tyler Zeller (Sr)

Got to love that UNC squad-- depth everywhere with McAdoo playing behind all three Tar Heel bigs. Hairston, Barnes, and Bullock need to be able to stroke the 3, as do Strickland and Marshall. That will be the determining factor in Carolina's quest for the championship.

UK, OTOH, would be questionable underneath, IMO. Jones could post almost anyone, but he has to learn a couple moves. (An up and under would be nice to see, as would an effective baby hook.) Miller would kill most small forwards if he posts, but I'd put a big on him anyway. Davis is willowy and Wiltjer is young and hasn't played all that much with athletes this special.

Actually, when you look over CBB, only Duke and Kansas look like they may take serious steps backward. Memphis looks really good. I like Washington's team. Lousville looks intriguing. Pitt is solid, especially if they return their lead guard, Gibson. (Though, with others not entering the draft, he may see an opportunity.) MSU will be much, much better. Michigan looks really loaded. Vandy even looks good. Florida will be fun to see play, too.

TeamSelig
04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Another thing to not overlook is that these guys are very talented. Top prospects (usually) learn so much faster than your average athlete. Who knows how much these players will improve from this year to next.

WVRed
04-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Got to love that UNC squad-- depth everywhere with McAdoo playing behind all three Tar Heel bigs. Hairston, Barnes, and Bullock need to be able to stroke the 3, as do Strickland and Marshall. That will be the determining factor in Carolina's quest for the championship.

UK, OTOH, would be questionable underneath, IMO. Jones could post almost anyone, but he has to learn a couple moves. (An up and under would be nice to see, as would an effective baby hook.) Miller would kill most small forwards if he posts, but I'd put a big on him anyway. Davis is willowy and Wiltjer is young and hasn't played all that much with athletes this special.

Actually, when you look over CBB, only Duke and Kansas look like they may take serious steps backward. Memphis looks really good. I like Washington's team. Lousville looks intriguing. Pitt is solid, especially if they return their lead guard, Gibson. (Though, with others not entering the draft, he may see an opportunity.) MSU will be much, much better. Michigan looks really loaded. Vandy even looks good. Florida will be fun to see play, too.

I'm still not buying it, but mostly because of how the dribble drive works. This is going to be the most DDMO-centric offense Calipari has had since he has been at Memphis. Cal has had to adapt to big men the past couple of seasons in using Cousins/Orton two years ago and Harrellson last season. This year he has the Robert Dozier types that made him successful at Memphis.

Mismatches slice both ways. You might have a big underneath such as Zeller and Henson but when you are going against the dribble drive you have to pull them out from under the rim where they are the most effective. Otherwise you are going to have four or possibly even five guys who can spread the floor and stroke it from deep.

As for other teams, the one outside of UNC that worries me next season is UConn again. They are losing Kemba but the rest of that team is still young and very talented. If Shabazz Napier and Jeremy Lamb pick up where Kemba left off and they can get some production out of Boatwright they are going to be scary again.

bucksfan2
04-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Don't forget the Buckeyes.

Next year's NCAA season might just be one of the best in a long time. You have quite a few lottery picks returning to school. It may just resemble college basketball before the one nad done became prevalent.

LexRedsFan
04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
You might have a big underneath such as Zeller and Henson but when you are going against the dribble drive you have to pull them out from under the rim where they are the most effective. Otherwise you are going to have four or possibly even five guys who can spread the floor and stroke it from deep.

Not to mention then you force them to have to guard the drive at the rim....where they end up in foul trouble potentially. I'd think UNC fans may know about foul trouble for Henson given our last game. :P

Puffy
04-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Not to mention then you force them to have to guard the drive at the rim....where they end up in foul trouble potentially. I'd think UNC fans may know about foul trouble for Henson given our last game. :P

Yeah, but the Tar Heels also didn't have McAdoo last year if one of the two does get in foul trouble.......

texasdave
04-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Texas players Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton and Cory Joseph have all declared for the NBA draft.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/04/22/texas.nba.draft.ap/index.html#ixzz1KM0jP2Nq

Revering4Blue
05-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Speaking as a fan of College basketball in general, It's great news that players such as Sullinger, Barnes, Terrence and Perry Jones and Ashton Gibbs are returning to school. I enjoy the underdog Cinderella stories as much as anyone, but some real heavyweight teams will certainly make for compelling viewing next year. Is this a trend or a by-product of an NBA lockout? Time will tell.

reds1869
05-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Tu Holloway withdrew from the draft and will be back at Xavier next year.

Revering4Blue
05-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Butler junior guard Shelvin Mack is staying in the NBA Draft.

Sources told FOXSports.com that the 6-foot-2 guard will forgo his final season at Butler despite the uncertainty of being a first-round pick.

According to several NBA executives, Mack could go late first round or in the second round.

Mack has been a key component to Butler advancing to a pair of national championship games over the past two seasons.

Can't blame him, his stock may never be higher.