PDA

View Full Version : Defense

Drugs Delaney
04-07-2011, 02:35 AM
I read a few of the season preview magazines and they all seem to gloss over defense, concentrating only on offense and pitching. I think that is the big reason why they will be proven wrong for picking the Reds 3rd in this division.

With the free preview of season ticket this week, I've watched multiple games of every team in our division. It has to be the worst defensive division in all of baseball. We've seen it firsthand with the Brewers and Astros (5 errors and a couple balls that good defenders would have caught (Votto's double)). The Cards are mediocre at best up the middle with Theriot and Schumacher and just look kind of slow in general. The Pirates and Cubs could be okay but both have a couple pretty big weak spots.

And the Reds? I think we've got Gold Glove caliber guys at 1b, 2b, SS, 3b, RF and CF. That sounds crazy to say and obviously we aren't going to get 6 Gold Gloves, but Votto, Phillips, Janish, Rolen, Bruce and Stubbs are all fantastic on D.

I think it is something that really separates us from the rest of the division.

RadfordVA
04-07-2011, 02:49 AM
Couldnt agree more. The defense is excellent. Especially when compared to the Brewers and Astros thus far. Its not just the errors they have been credited with but all the plays that shouldve been made or couldve been made by superior defenders. Their pitchers are simply not good enough to have fielders that poor behind them. I think this is the main reason Gomes gets so much criticism here is that he is the weak link on this defense. If we only have one weakness on defense that is pretty good. The rest of the players afford us the ability to deal with Gomes shortcomings.

There will be tough times ahead in the season but the great thing about this team is they are never tough to watch because the defense will always be great and the attention to the small things like base running will be there. So even when the offense or pitching takes a slump you will still feel like rooting for them.

JKam
04-07-2011, 04:14 AM
I think this is the main reason Gomes gets so much criticism here is that he is the weak link on this defense.

I think most people could live with Gomes' defense in LF if he mashed all year long at the plate, but there are questions whether Gomes can do the mashing part, especially against right hand pitching.

As for the Reds defense, it is such a pleasure watching them make plays. After suffering through Griffey in CF for many seasons, it is such a nice relief to see Stubbs get to so many balls. Bruce and Rolen make tough plays look routine. I think out of anybody though, I enjoy watching Janisch play defense. Haven't seen SS defense like that since Larkin. I just know whenever a ball is hit in his direction, it is an automatic out.

RedLegsToday
04-07-2011, 10:15 AM
After suffering through Griffey in CF for many seasons, it is such a nice relief to see Stubbs get to so many balls.

Still getting used to this. Every time a ball is flared into center field, my mind still goes "oh no, a hit" and then there's Stubbs running it down and pulling it in.

Drugs Delaney
04-07-2011, 11:46 AM
I think most people could live with Gomes' defense in LF if he mashed all year long at the plate, but there are questions whether Gomes can do the mashing part, especially against right hand pitching.

As for the Reds defense, it is such a pleasure watching them make plays. After suffering through Griffey in CF for many seasons, it is such a nice relief to see Stubbs get to so many balls. Bruce and Rolen make tough plays look routine. I think out of anybody though, I enjoy watching Janisch play defense. Haven't seen SS defense like that since Larkin. I just know whenever a ball is hit in his direction, it is an automatic out.

Gomes is obviously the one weak link. He is clearly below average but even he is better than some of the other corner outfielders in our division like Carlos Lee and Lance Berkman. He is going to have to out-produce Heisey by a decent amount at the plate to justify his every day starts because Heisey is a big upgrade defensively.

Hopefully Johnny hits like he did in 2009 when his numbers at the plate more than made up for his subpar fielding. If he struggles against righties as much as he did last year, he probably should just be a platoon guy with Heisey, Lewis, Hermida and/or Francisco taking the majority of the starts in LF vs. RH pitchers.

Reds
04-07-2011, 11:52 AM
You guys all hit the nail on the head. I've also watched other teams in/out of division and as good as our offense is I'd have to say our defense (and base-running aggressiveness) is likely our biggest attribute when compared to the rest of the league.

lonewolf371
04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Yeah the Reds have by far the best defense in the NL Central. I might even extend that to the whole NL. Defense is only one small part of the puzzle, though. With the offense the team has shown so far, I think it's safe to say that we probably put the best 8 position players out there out of any team in the NL.

Reds
04-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Listening to the Inside Pitch I'm reminded of how much defense we have at Louisville too.

The DARK
04-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Listening to the Inside Pitch I'm reminded of how much defense we have at Louisville too.

Who's our defense there? I was always under the impression that Alonso was pure bat, Frazier and Dorn are below average, and most of the others aren't really noteworthy for their D. Only Sappelt, Cozart, and Mesoraco struck me as above average defenders, and none of them gold glovers.

That said, if Sappelt/Heisey wins the LF starting role for next season or we trade for Choo, we'll have the best defense in all of baseball. Lets not forget how good Hanigan is defensively behind the plate, and Hernandez is no slouch either.

joshua
04-08-2011, 02:34 AM
I read a few of the season preview magazines and they all seem to gloss over defense, concentrating only on offense and pitching. I think that is the big reason why they will be proven wrong for picking the Reds 3rd in this division.

What season preview mags are you reading?

I think our defense is definitely great, and to have the offense to match is awesome. We have a great group of contact hitters, although I wish a few guys would work on their patience at the plate and realize a walk is just a good as a single, even if it's a much less sexy stat. I've never been a fan of Gomes but if he can continue to lay off the pitches I'll be his biggest fan. To think that pitching is the questionable spot on this team, especially with the depth we have, we're in a great position.

Redlegs_87
04-08-2011, 03:05 AM
http://redlegnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/book107_300.jpg

Only season preview for the Reds anyone could need.

bounty37h
04-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Haven't seen that before, was that in Cincy area? I have got one of the Maple St mags before for UNC basketball, they do team only mags? Wasnt impressed at all with their baketball one but would like to check that out if anyone has an extra copy, or can point me in the right direction of where to get one.

Nathan
04-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Haven't seen that before, was that in Cincy area? I have got one of the Maple St mags before for UNC basketball, they do team only mags? Wasnt impressed at all with their baketball one but would like to check that out if anyone has an extra copy, or can point me in the right direction of where to get one.

http://www.maplestreetpress.com/

Scroll down on the left until you see the Reds'