PDA

View Full Version : Bonds Trial Poll

jojo
04-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Here's a nice summary of how the Bonds perjury trial unfolded as closing arguments and jury deliberation begin:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_mccann/04/06/bonds-trial-analysis/

Given the verdict is near, here's a simple poll asking how you think it WILL turn out. This isn't about how it SHOULD turn out giving your opinion on Bonds and steroids etc but rather, what you think the jury will do given how the trial unfolded?

Mario-Rijo
04-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Here's a nice summary of how the Bonds perjury trial unfolded as closing arguments and jury deliberation begin:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/michael_mccann/04/06/bonds-trial-analysis/

Given the verdict is near, here's a simple poll asking how you think it WILL turn out. This isn't about how it SHOULD turn out giving your opinion on Bonds and steroids etc but rather, what you think the jury will do given how the trial unfolded?

To be quite fair no matter how I feel about him personally I think he was found guilty before he walked into the court room.

Caveat Emperor
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is a tough standard.

Not guilty.

defender
04-12-2011, 03:05 PM
If I would have voted on the 7th, it would have been "not guilty". I think if the jury were inclined toward not guilty, they would have done it by now.

Chip R
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
If I would have voted on the 7th, it would have been "not guilty". I think if the jury were inclined toward not guilty, they would have done it by now.

Seems like there may be a holdout or two on the jury if there hasn't been a verdict yet. That bodes well for Bonds.

Slyder
04-12-2011, 04:06 PM
The longer this drags out the worst it is for Barry. They will find him guilty on at least 1 count on the back of the "personal shopper" testimony.

jojo
04-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Seems like there may be a holdout or two on the jury if there hasn't been a verdict yet. That bodes well for Bonds.

http://www.hollywoodsgoldenage.com/images/angry.jpg

defender
04-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Anything less than one day of deliberation per week of trial is usually good for the defense, because it is easier to find not guilty. Since it was a 3 week trial, day 3 (yesterday) and day 4 (today) would be the most likely days to hammer out a conviction.

At this point, the most likely outcome is a conviction today. If it goes past today, it would be an indication of a serious split, and better news for Bonds.

Simon Rhymon
04-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Based on some of the testimony the jury requested to be read to them, I'd be inclined to think he'll get nailed on at least one count. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least one juror who is saying if Bonds says he is innocent, why didn't he testify ... despite the judge's instructions.

jojo
04-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Guilty on one charge, mistrial on the others....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6347014

Reds Nd2
04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Are the Feds still investigating Bonds for tax evasion?

Cedric
04-14-2011, 08:20 AM
Reasonable doubt is getting stretched incredibly thin, IMO. I'm glad people take their jury responsibilites seriously but I don't think anyone truly understands REASONABLE doubt.

And one juror today said "I think the prosecution was trying to hard to find Bonds guilty."

That might be the single dumbest quote in the history of man.

Simon Rhymon
04-14-2011, 12:06 PM
And one juror today said "I think the prosecution was trying to hard to find Bonds guilty."

Was that person also on the OJ jury?

bucksfan2
04-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Reasonable doubt is getting stretched incredibly thin, IMO. I'm glad people take their jury responsibilites seriously but I don't think anyone truly understands REASONABLE doubt.

I don't really mind this comment. It doesn't really apply to this situation because Bonds had a very good defense team, but in other situations I think it can be very dangerous. I don't really like when you get the feeling that the prosecution is throwing everything and the kitchen sink at a defendant. I want a fair trial, not one when the prosecution is pulling out all the stops.

jojo
12-16-2011, 05:31 PM
Bump...

I can't imagine the prosecution is beating their chests over the resolution of this issue...

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/16/justice/barry-bonds-sentencing/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Ultimately, when considering if it was worth it, I can't get past the money the government spent on this investigation... I'd say no.

Ohayou
12-16-2011, 05:50 PM
30 days confined to a mansion, that'll definitely deter would be liars and cheats.

But seriously, I'm glad he got off light.

jojo
12-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Well it will certainly curtail his ability to volunteer at the soup kitchen for a bit....

Outlaw133
12-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Bonds got off light. Even M'Lady, who regards baseball as "American Cricket, sort of" and has no interest in it, thinks so. That said, he, and his tarnished legacy, are now history. Time to move on.

traderumor
12-17-2011, 09:04 AM
Apparently, Bonds is now an avid, competing bicyclist now, according to a blog post I read the other day. The blogger is a cyclist and was in a race with Bonds.

Slyder
12-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Apparently, Bonds is now an avid, competing bicyclist now, according to a blog post I read the other day. The blogger is a cyclist and was in a race with Bonds.

So how long before rumors start that Bonds and Armstrong are using the same doping agents before races?