PDA

View Full Version : Another Jay Bruce thread

Todd Gack
04-09-2011, 10:03 AM
10 K's in 26 AB's including 1 walk.

I know, it's only April 8th or whatever it is, but I'm getting tired of seeing this 50 million dollar guy continue to have some of the worst AB's I've ever seen. A concerning trend is beginning to take shape with him.

ruREaDy2
04-09-2011, 10:25 AM
He continues to whiff at the breaking balls. If I'm an opposing pitching coach I'm telling my guys to feed Bruce off-speed stuff until he proves that he can hit them on a regular basis.

Parliament
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
Yeah but he's playing lights out D in RF. He'll get better at the plate, give him some time

Vottomatic
04-09-2011, 03:41 PM
It's early. But his weakness is the inside off speed breaking ball. He K's on that one all the time.

UCBrownsfan
04-09-2011, 04:09 PM
Bruce 2011 .269 .296 .308 .604
Pujols 2011 .179.226 .286 .512

It's just early... and our $50 mil is over 6 years, Pujols is about to get that over 2.

bshall2105
04-09-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm beginning to think Jay is just a slow starter. He came to the bigs on fire but he had been playing everyday in the minors before that, he was 0-18 to start the year last year and this season has gotten off to a similar start.

The DARK
04-09-2011, 11:55 PM
He's doing better than Choo as well. His average is still solid. Just wait, he'll get into a groove as the season goes on.

Stray
04-10-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not so much worried about his stats as I am how clueless he looks on some of his at bats. It's too small of a sample size to judge though...I'm sure he'll come around soon.

Redlegs20
04-10-2011, 12:12 PM
Would Brook Jacoby please report to the batting cage and work with Jay Bruce? Is there no one in the Reds dugout who can assist? This looks like Jay Bruce's "Groundhog's Day".

mlh1981
04-10-2011, 12:53 PM
He's still a young player going through the growing pains. I'm not worried about him. He's shown before that he's capable of putting it together.

VottoFan54
04-11-2011, 12:27 AM
I think one thing that becomes forgotten with Bruce is that he is only 24 this year there are many good players that are still trying to prove themselves down in AAA at that age but he is still young and is going to have his fair share of growing pains over the course of a season.

Vottomatic
04-11-2011, 06:32 AM
I'm not so much worried about his stats as I am how clueless he looks on some of his at bats. It's too small of a sample size to judge though...I'm sure he'll come around soon.

Automatic K when he gets 2 strikes on him. All they have to do is throw him that inside breaking ball and strike three. And if there are men on base, you can guarantee he ain't hitting.

DaytonFlyer
04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
And if there are men on base, you can guarantee he ain't hitting.

Except yesterday when he had an RBI double.

bounty37h
04-11-2011, 09:57 AM
You trying to say Jesus Christ cant hit a curveball?

Todd Gack
04-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Except yesterday when he had an RBI double.

2 Things:

1) It should've been caught. With that said, he made GREAT contact.
2) He hadn't seen a fastball since last weekend before that AB. (I know, I'm exaggerating.) But everyone in the world knew they were going to continue feeding him breaking balls until be proved to hit one. that's what he did yesterday.

Todd Gack
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Bruce now has what? 12 K's in 34 AB's? Something along those lines. I know the experts in the ORG have repeatedly said, 'Be patient.' Well, those people defending him have been saying that for a few years now. It's not just about THIS SEASON. It's about his OVERALL BODY OF WORK that has me worried. After 1300 AB's, has he improved like the guy with his tools should?

Here's the thing: Jay will obviously get out of this slump and hit well here shortly. But for a guy with all of his tools, you'd think he would have some more quality AB's than he really does.

Finally, I know I'm some kind of hack or troll for questioning whether Bruce will ever be as good as many people think. I know criticizing Jay is 'untouchable' on some boards of this website, but is it really too much to ask to sit down and think about the concerns we had 2 years ago? He still doesn't hit well w/ 2 strikes, RISP, or RISP w/ 2outs. Those are pretty much where elite players make their money. I guess Jay made his 50 million by doing everything else right.

Girevik
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
You trying to say Jesus Christ cant hit a curveball?

Lol - I was about to drop a "bats are afraid" quote but you beat me to it.

Vottomatic
04-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Bruce now has what? 12 K's in 34 AB's? Something along those lines. I know the experts in the ORG have repeatedly said, 'Be patient.' Well, those people defending him have been saying that for a few years now. It's not just about THIS SEASON. It's about his OVERALL BODY OF WORK that has me worried. After 1300 AB's, has he improved like the guy with his tools should?

Here's the thing: Jay will obviously get out of this slump and hit well here shortly. But for a guy with all of his tools, you'd think he would have some more quality AB's than he really does.

Finally, I know I'm some kind of hack or troll for questioning whether Bruce will ever be as good as many people think. I know criticizing Jay is 'untouchable' on some boards of this website, but is it really too much to ask to sit down and think about the concerns we had 2 years ago? He still doesn't hit well w/ 2 strikes, RISP, or RISP w/ 2outs. Those are pretty much where elite players make their money. I guess Jay made his 50 million by doing everything else right.

I get concerned about Jay too. He's either hot or cold. No in between. And he has never hit well with RISP or with 2 strikes. And he doesn't seem to make adjustments like Votto does. He can be very frustrating to watch at the plate. You rarely see him battling, fouling off pitches, etc. Seems like he swings and misses alot.

Todd Gack
04-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I get concerned about Jay too. He's either hot or cold. No in between. And he has never hit well with RISP or with 2 strikes. And he doesn't seem to make adjustments like Votto does. He can be very frustrating to watch at the plate. You rarely see him battling, fouling off pitches, etc. Seems like he swings and misses alot.

These are the little things that concern me. The QUALITY of his AB's are very poor. And for some reason, Jay doesn't strike me as an intelligent. Not that you need to be intelligent to be good, but he just has that 'dumb' look I've often heard people say around NFL draft time.

I think his error yesterday was a good example of his intelligence level, to be honest. You've got infielders wearing sunglasses yet you think you'll be fine without the glasses?

signalhome
04-11-2011, 10:30 PM
These are the little things that concern me. The QUALITY of his AB's are very poor. And for some reason, Jay doesn't strike me as an intelligent. Not that you need to be intelligent to be good, but he just has that 'dumb' look I've often heard people say around NFL draft time.

I think his error yesterday was a good example of his intelligence level, to be honest. You've got infielders wearing sunglasses yet you think you'll be fine without the glasses?

I don't think it's very fair to judge someone's intelligence by how they look or due to the fact that they don't wear sunglasses. When I played baseball, I couldn't wear sunglasses, as I had trouble judging depth and simply never felt comfortable. Maybe Bruce is the same way, or maybe Bruce is just a fool; we have no way of knowing either way.

As far as his ABs go, he certainly looks lost. He needs to stop flying open early and trying to pull everything. He has enough raw power that as long as he makes good contact, the ball is going to fly. Also, his pitch selection has been very poor. I think both problems would be corrected if he would simply stop pressing at the plate, as he did toward the end of last year when he went on that amazing tear. He showed in the minors that he has the ability to hit for a good average, and he has showed in the majors that he has the ability to draw a good number of walks, so I fully believe he has the ability to be one of the five best hitters in the National League. I just hope he one day puts it all together and becomes the player we know he can be.

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Only one active Major League player under the age of 24 has more career RBI's than Jay Bruce (Justin Upton).

What else needs to be said?

Oh, yeah. He plays very good defense and has a great gun.

gilpdawg
04-12-2011, 05:48 AM
He looked better in the first game at SD. The results weren't there, but he did go the other way once, but flied out. When he starts going the other way that usually means he's starting to see the ball better.

gilpdawg
04-12-2011, 06:32 AM
Some numbers to chew on.

Career K rate-25.7%

Current 2011 K rate-39.5.
This will normalize eventually.

Career BB rate-9.0%

Current 2011 BB rate-2.5%.
As will this.

Fact is, if this stretch didn't take place at the start of the season so it shows up in the numbers, nobody would notice. If this was a random 40 plate appearances in July it wouldn't even be mentioned.

DaytonFlyer
04-12-2011, 08:27 AM
JB hit a ball to slight left-center last night that would've been a home run at a non-fly ball killing ballpark.

lonewolf371
04-12-2011, 09:12 AM

Seriously? Carl Crawford is hitting with a lower average so far with 7 strikeouts in 43 AB. Maybe the Red Sox should dump him because he's so bad.

Calm down, man.

texasdave
04-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Paging Jim Edmonds. Please pick up the red phone located nearest you. Thank you.

swaisuc
04-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Obviously the problems with curve balls persist, but what is really discouraging is that we've seen a few average fast balls blown right by him down the heart of the plate the last few days. I'm not sure if he's cheating due to all the breaking pitches he's seen, or if he's just lost confidence, but he does look pretty lost up there right now.

With that said, I agree that last night's fly out was probably a homer or off the wall in Cincy. He needs to catch a few breaks because I think he lives off of confidence more than most guys.

Also, there have been several other good points made in this thread. His defense has stood up other than the "no sunglasses" play and he may just be a slow starter every year. I can live with that, but I'm hoping he can somehow be less of a streaky hitter in general. I'm not really sure how you accomplish that though.

Todd Gack
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Only one active Major League player under the age of 24 has more career RBI's than Jay Bruce (Justin Upton).

What else needs to be said?

I love the 'He's only 24!' argument. He came up when he was 20 and in his 4th major league season. At some point, you would think he would improve at a better rate.

You're right, but defense in the corner outfields has probably the least value (aside from pitcher) than any other position. I'm not saying it's invaluable, I'm just saying it has the least value. His defense does help us and I think it'd be unfair for me to not point that out.

Todd Gack
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Seriously? Carl Crawford is hitting with a lower average so far with 7 strikeouts in 43 AB. Maybe the Red Sox should dump him because he's so bad.

Calm down, man.

Read the thread. I'm not talking about just THIS season. I'm talking about his career as a whole. You'd think after signing a 50 million dollar contract, he'd be pumped to improve on his best year, yet he's striking out at an Adam Dunn-type rate. . . .just like he has for the past few seasons.

gilpdawg
04-13-2011, 07:31 AM
yet he's striking out at an Adam Dunn-type rate. . . .just like he has for the past few seasons.
You lost me with that last part. It's simply not true.

Dunn's career K rate-32.8
Bruce's career K rate-25.7.

bounty37h
04-13-2011, 09:49 AM

Gilp, I think he was talking about Crawford in his reponse, not Bruce.

Todd Gack
04-13-2011, 11:20 AM

That part was more tongue-in-cheek. When Jay Bruce struggles, he REALLY struggles. He's too inconsistent and cannot be counted on as an everyday player at the plate.

Ohioballplayer
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Lol - I was about to drop a "bats are afraid" quote but you beat me to it.

Someone get him a live chicken to sacrifice!!

matt85webb
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
After like June or July he was hitting over .300 and at least 15 hrs. He will get better all though his early season struggles are frustrating.

lonewolf371
04-14-2011, 05:23 PM
Read the thread. I'm not talking about just THIS season. I'm talking about his career as a whole. You'd think after signing a 50 million dollar contract, he'd be pumped to improve on his best year, yet he's striking out at an Adam Dunn-type rate. . . .just like he has for the past few seasons.
He's 24, an age when most guys are still in the minors. He had a 5.3 WAR season last year, which would be worth $25 million alone. He's going to have a huge year; just wait.

Baseball players have slumps. Need to have perspective when they go through them.

Todd Gack
04-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Even on a good day, Jay embarrasses himself. His intelligence takes another hit today.

Maker_84
04-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Even on a good day, Jay embarrasses himself. His intelligence takes another hit today.

what exactly happened? unfortunately i live in NE Ohio and can only see the crappy Indians

bigredmechanism
04-18-2011, 12:09 PM
In the 9th inning, Neil Walker made a heads up play/fundamental play by backing up the catchers throw to first. When it sailed away, Bruce turned for 2nd base, then tried to get back to first. He was tagged out, and it may have cost us the game.

It happens.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 01:03 PM
In the 9th inning, Neil Walker made a heads up play/fundamental play by backing up the catchers throw to first. When it sailed away, Bruce turned for 2nd base, then tried to get back to first. He was tagged out, and it may have cost us the game.

It happens.

The rulebook states that the runner must immediately return to first base after overrunning it; there is nothing saying that you must turn toward foul territory, as Welsh implied. It's a judgement call, and seeing as how Bruce made only the slightest of movements toward second without actually moving a single step in the direction, I seriously question the umpire's decision that Bruce made an attempt to advance to second base.

Edit: After re-watching it on MLB.TV, Welsh said "movement toward second", not "turning toward second". I was wrong to call him out on that. Though I understand the umpire's decision, I don't think that movement was nearly enough to say he was trying to advance to second.

Captain13
04-18-2011, 01:11 PM
Bruce made a serious attempt to avoid the tag. That is what got him called out, not the initial jab-step toward second.

signalhome
04-18-2011, 01:18 PM
Bruce made a serious attempt to avoid the tag. That is what got him called out, not the initial jab-step toward second.

That very well could be the case. Hadn't considered that.

Also, after watching it again, Hatcher was pointing Bruce toward second on the play. Bruce should have and may have ignored him, but that could have played a part in it.

Todd Gack
06-01-2011, 08:03 PM
I smell a June swoon here shortly. Just noticed he's walked only 5 times in the last 80 PA's or so. Doesn't seem like a lot for such a hot hitter.

Stay tuned.

Wonderful Monds
06-01-2011, 09:02 PM
I smell a June swoon here shortly. Just noticed he's walked only 5 times in the last 80 PA's or so. Doesn't seem like a lot for such a hot hitter.

Stay tuned.
If you're looking to find something wrong, you will find it.

But actually that does make sense for a hot hitter. If you're getting pitches to hit, you're going to hit them, you're not going to be taking a lot. Jay is obviously getting a lot of pitches to hit, as evidenced by his .339 average over the last month.

So no, I think its misguided to predict a June swoon based on that stat.

CrosleyField
06-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Funny Thread

Todd Gack
06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
If you're looking to find something wrong, you will find it.

But actually that does make sense for a hot hitter. If you're getting pitches to hit, you're going to hit them, you're not going to be taking a lot. Jay is obviously getting a lot of pitches to hit, as evidenced by his .339 average over the last month.

So no, I think its misguided to predict a June swoon based on that stat.

Bautista has walked twice as many times as Bruce and is just as hot, if not hotter. Eventually, pitchers will once again get him to chase pitches at a regular rate. Heck, Marcum started doing that tonight. I just think it's inevitable that not only will be cool off here soon, but he'll go into his usual valley shortly.

With that said, he's making me look bad with his HR tonight.

Todd Gack
06-01-2011, 09:16 PM
Funny Thread

It is pretty funny that if Jay is consistent at anything, it's being inconsistent.

RedsLvr
06-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Eat crow. And stop wishing bad luck on a franchise player just so you can say that you're right..

bigredmechanism
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
This guy is on fire. A remarkable last stretch of games.

RedLegsToday
06-01-2011, 10:10 PM
I smell a June swoon here shortly.

Well, he is only hitting .250 so far in June. :explode:

Votto4MVP
06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
I dont post here often anymore for whatever reason...but the main reason is you guys let people like this todd gack guy post on here. He should be banned just for being an idiot.

There is one thing to have opinions but to be so wrong and bring up your own thread about bruce sucking when he is the best player in baseball right now...makes the site look bad even though its just one guy.

bigredmechanism
06-01-2011, 10:30 PM
I dont post here often anymore for whatever reason...but the main reason is you guys let people like this todd gack guy post on here. He should be banned just for being an idiot.

There is one thing to have opinions but to be so wrong and bring up your own thread about bruce sucking when he is the best player in baseball right now...makes the site look bad even though its just one guy.

agreed.

kyred14
06-02-2011, 11:33 PM

I guess some people enjoy trolling for whatever reason. Just ignore it and they will go away eventually. It's kinda a shame too, this is some real entertainment.

Todd Gack
06-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Where did I say Jay Bruce sucked?

I think it's readily apparent that some players on this team are more protected by fans than others.

lonewolf371
06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Where did I say Jay Bruce sucked?
Whether or not you specifically said "suck", I don't know, but this entire thread has been your own personal bash-a-thon of Jay Bruce. I think it's been implied.

Todd Gack
06-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Whether or not you specifically said "suck", I don't know, but this entire thread has been your own personal bash-a-thon of Jay Bruce. I think it's been implied.

I've never said he's suck. I've just always criticized him for being so inconsistent. This hot streak is really no different for now. He's certainly performed better than I've imagined thus far, but by no means does his month of ridiculously hot hitting mean he's somehow become a perennial All-Star.

The guy makes some really, really dumb plays at times and I'll still question his baseball intelligence.

lonewolf371
06-07-2011, 03:24 PM
I've never said he's suck. I've just always criticized him for being so inconsistent. This hot streak is really no different for now. He's certainly performed better than I've imagined thus far, but by no means does his month of ridiculously hot hitting mean he's somehow become a perennial All-Star.

The guy makes some really, really dumb plays at times and I'll still question his baseball intelligence.
Well it's been one long hot streak. Even if he just tanks the rest of the season, he'll be worth his contract at this point (value he's supplied so far is around $8-10 million). If he continues to perform well (which I think he will) and hits 40 HR with 110 RBI, well I think it's safe to say that the Reds are making out like bandits on this deal.

Todd Gack
06-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Well, he's about as predictable as the sun. Jay's in another slump again. 4 for his last 34 including 3 K's last night. He'll surely get out of this at some point. Will it be tonight? Tomorrow night? Next week? In July? Who knows? It's only a matter of time before he might become the July player of the month.

At some point though, you'd think someone as 'great' as Jay would level off these slumps a bit. For the sake of the Reds, let's just hope it's soon.

Well it's been one long hot streak. Even if he just tanks the rest of the season, he'll be worth his contract at this point (value he's supplied so far is around $8-10 million). If he continues to perform well (which I think he will) and hits 40 HR with 110 RBI, well I think it's safe to say that the Reds are making out like bandits on this deal.

Great, we're making out like bandits. But you gotta ask yourself: Can you count on him in October? Will he be sizzling or slumping then?

CWRed
06-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Baseball is a game of slumps and hot streaks which most players are subject to.

Love how people bash some of the best players on their respective teams. Just plain silly. Dumb even.

lonewolf371
06-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Well, he's about as predictable as the sun. Jay's in another slump again. 4 for his last 34 including 3 K's last night. He'll surely get out of this at some point. Will it be tonight? Tomorrow night? Next week? In July? Who knows? It's only a matter of time before he might become the July player of the month.

At some point though, you'd think someone as 'great' as Jay would level off these slumps a bit. For the sake of the Reds, let's just hope it's soon.

Great, we're making out like bandits. But you gotta ask yourself: Can you count on him in October? Will he be sizzling or slumping then?
I honestly don't care. Of all the major sports, I think clutch means the most in football and the least in baseball.

redssince75
06-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Even if he just tanks the rest of the season

Well he has a good start on this.

redssince75
06-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Of all the major sports, I think clutch means the most in football and the least in baseball.

Pretty much the opposite. Coming through in "the clutch" seems way more important in baseball.

Todd Gack
07-01-2011, 06:38 PM
I honestly don't care. Of all the major sports, I think clutch means the most in football and the least in baseball.

I'm not asking about Jay being clutch. I'm just asking Reds fans: Do you trust this guy in October? I think this is a big deal for the Reds organization especially after paying him 50 million.

I think it's only a matter of time before he gets hot again, but it's so disappointing to see a guy as consistently inconsistent as this guy.

Todd Gack
07-20-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm not asking about Jay being clutch. I'm just asking Reds fans: Do you trust this guy in October? I think this is a big deal for the Reds organization especially after paying him 50 million.

I think it's only a matter of time before he gets hot again, but it's so disappointing to see a guy as consistently inconsistent as this guy.

I keep talking to myself, but I guess I should remind myself again.

Jay Bruce is hitting .194 since June 12th. Clockwork.

Todd Gack
07-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Jay Bruce misses cutoff man again. This guy is one of the dumbest players in recent Reds history.

Cincinnati 8
07-20-2011, 01:25 PM
Bruce is the most dangerous hitter in baseball if the score is 14-0. But in a critical situation, forget about it. Bruce may pull a muscle jumping out of his shoes trying to hit the ball to the moon over the right field fence. Just once in his life I wish he would try to hit the ball the other way, to left field instead of trying to pull everything. With Bruce at bat in a critical situation I have set the over and under number to 2, for the number of ball that will actually make contact with the bat and I am taking the under. With Stubbs at bat in a critical situation I have set the over and under number to 1, and yes I am taking the under. Stubbs may set the all time major league record for the number of called third strikes in major league history.

ervinsm84
07-20-2011, 01:34 PM
Bruce is the most dangerous hitter in baseball if the score is 14-0. But in a critical situation, forget about it. Bruce may pull a muscle jumping out of his shoes trying to hit the ball to the moon over the right field fence. Just once in his life I wish he would try to hit the ball the other way, to left field instead of trying to pull everything. With Bruce at bat in a critical situation I have set the over and under number to 2, for the number of ball that will actually make contact with the bat and I am taking the under. With Stubbs at bat in a critical situation I have set the over and under number to 1, and yes I am taking the under. Stubbs may set the all time major league record for the number of called third strikes in major league history.

‪Jay Bruce home run to clinch NL Central division‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09zWLJYCWZg)

http://espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=310709108

or we could look at bruces splits this year in clutch and high leverage spots. Looks like the only category hes underperformed is the exact scenario of 2 outs RISP, which is also the one stat he has the smallest sample size for. RISP and late/close (clutch) hes been more than fine

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/6363/bruceclutchandleverages.jpg

skywalker
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Bruce is and will be the man :);):)

RiverRat13
07-20-2011, 02:38 PM
or we could look at bruces splits this year in clutch and high leverage spots. Looks like the only category hes underperformed is the exact scenario of 2 outs RISP, which is also the one stat he has the smallest sample size for. RISP and late/close (clutch) hes been more than fine

Why would you bring logic, reason, along with facts into this discussion?

Cincinnati 8
07-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Ok, you gave me an excellent example. Don't get me wrong, I am a die hard Cincy fan and I love Bruce. I lived and die with the Reds for over 55 years. Since the days of Bob Purkey, Brooks Lawrence, Johnny Temple, Jerry Lynch, and I could go on forever. Its just that its so fustrating for a real Reds fan like me to see the Reds leaving runner after runner in scoring position day after day. The highlight of my day every day is to get home and watch the Reds on TV (I have the baseball package on TV) and its discouraging to watch them fritter away scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity every day.

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Bruce = Reggie Sanders

Sanders was the anointed one like Jay Bruce.

Once the hype wore off, Sanders was a decent average outfielder with some power and some speed. But he struck out alot and mostly underachieved with the talent he had.

Jay Bruce is doing this exact thing. Never seems to make adjustments. Tries to pull everything. Cannot hit the offspeed breaking ball inside, that he is guaranteed to swing at everytime. The book is out on him and everyone has read it but Jay Bruce. If he had read it, maybe he would have made adjustments by now.

Hillsdale87
07-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Bruce = Reggie Sanders

Sanders was the anointed one like Jay Bruce.

Once the hype wore off, Sanders was a decent average outfielder with some power and some speed. But he struck out alot and mostly underachieved with the talent he had.

Jay Bruce is doing this exact thing. Never seems to make adjustments. Tries to pull everything. Cannot hit the offspeed breaking ball inside, that he is guaranteed to swing at everytime. The book is out on him and everyone has read it but Jay Bruce. If he had read it, maybe he would have made adjustments by now.

Jay Bruce is one of the top 5 baseball players 24 and under. He has plenty of time to make adjustments. Obviously I'd like him to speed up that process, but I'm confident he'll get there. Remember, Votto didn't even come up until he was Bruce's current age. He definitely needs to learn to go to LF, but he will continue to improve. It's way too early to assume that he's just going to be a slightly above average player

Vottomatic
07-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Jay Bruce is one of the top 5 baseball players 24 and under. He has plenty of time to make adjustments. Obviously I'd like him to speed up that process, but I'm confident he'll get there. Remember, Votto didn't even come up until he was Bruce's current age. He definitely needs to learn to go to LF, but he will continue to improve. It's way too early to assume that he's just going to be a slightly above average player

People like you will be saying that when he's 30 years old. I'm old enough to have seen this scenario a few hundred times.

NatiWolfpack24
07-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Someone yesterday tried to tell me clutch didn't exist and called me an idiot for believing it did. Good thread for him.

mu4103
07-20-2011, 08:23 PM
Someone yesterday tried to tell me clutch didn't exist and called me an idiot for believing it did. Good thread for him.

Clutch definitely exists, but I think guys who play well in big games (post-season) are more clutch than guys who can hit with Runners ISP. Hitting with guys on base can change from year to year for a lot of guys. Guys that can hit in big games when the pressure is on are clutch in my book.