PDA

View Full Version : Rule question

Tools of Ignorance
04-09-2011, 06:31 PM
Is there a specific rule against trying to distract the pitcher? My son's Middle School team played this other team that deliberately tried to distract the pitcher. They would yell at him during his delivery. Other times they started clapping loudly and even barking at him.

Besides being bush league, is this specifically against the rules, and if so, which one?

texasdave
04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Is there a specific rule against trying to distract the pitcher? My son's Middle School team played this other team that deliberately tried to distract the pitcher. They would yell at him during his delivery. Other times they started clapping loudly and even barking at him.

Besides being bush league, is this specifically against the rules, and if so, which one?

I don't think there is a rule against. Who hasn't chanted "we want a pitcher, not a glass of water" in little league? I think as long as no profanity is used there is nothing you can do about it.

ruREaDy2
04-09-2011, 08:00 PM
There's no rule against it, but it is one of those unwritten rules in my opinion. Just like not running up the score, or trying to steal the other teams playbook, or just flat out trying to injure the other teams best player....you just don't do it. It's bush league and there's no way I would tolerate it if I'm their coach.:thumbup:

LeDoux
04-09-2011, 08:25 PM
I was curious enough and found this MLB rule:

(a) No manager, player, substitute, coach, trainer or batboy shall at any time, whether from the bench, the coach’s box or on the playing field, or elsewhere --

(3) Call “Time,” or employ any other word or phrase or commit any act while the ball is alive and in play for the obvious purpose of trying to make the pitcher commit a balk.

PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified.

So if the ump thinks things are getting out of hand perhaps he could acuse the team of trying to provoke a balk?

texasdave
04-10-2011, 02:23 AM
That will never be called. How about when the so-called "chatter" in the infield that goes something along the lines of 'hey batter batter swing batter swing'. Or some such nonsense. I honestly feel if profanity isn't being used there is nothing that is going to be done.

urdun
04-10-2011, 05:37 AM
aren't the bush leagues a couple steps up from middle school ball? if so then I don't see a problem with it. ;)