PDA

View Full Version : Reading ORG

Parliament
04-10-2011, 11:46 AM
What's up Sundeckers?

I was looking at ORG today (almost never view that section anymore) and stumbled on the Volquez thread. Guess what? The thread was chastised as being "sundeck-esque" by poster Homer Bailey. There were other snide comments scattered through the thread about this section of Redszone. I don't know about you but that rubs me the wrong way. There are many good posters on this site and to continue to absolute no respect from the other posters is too much.

Why should we continue to post here if the posters at ORG think so little of us? So we can prove that we are good enough to converse with them?? lol To me it seems like they like their closed circle which is fair enough but they should just close Sundeck if we are a joke to them.

/endrant

mlh1981
04-10-2011, 01:08 PM
The post must have been deleted. I can't find it.

I think it would be cool to be able to post in both forums, once you get into the ORG. I'd hate to "leave behind" the people I interact with here on a semi-regular basis. I'm not a super active poster who writes detailed posts, so I doubt I would get into the ORG in the first place, though.

LeDoux
04-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Sundeck the bourgeois!

http://rosenblumtv.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/lenin.jpg

But seriously, what other posters say about the Sundeck does not bother me. We say it about ourselves quite often.

bleedsred
04-10-2011, 01:33 PM
What's up Sundeckers?

I was looking at ORG today (almost never view that section anymore) and stumbled on the Volquez thread. Guess what? The thread was chastised as being "sundeck-esque" by poster Homer Bailey. There were other snide comments scattered through the thread about this section of Redszone. I don't know about you but that rubs me the wrong way. There are many good posters on this site and to continue to absolute no respect from the other posters is too much.

Why should we continue to post here if the posters at ORG think so little of us? So we can prove that we are good enough to converse with them?? lol To me it seems like they like their closed circle which is fair enough but they should just close Sundeck if we are a joke to them.

/endrant

Are you serious? Why do you care about what anyone on a message board thinks about you? Truth is that none of get paid any money to analyze baseball or the reds and I could really careless about how any poster on this site views another. For all I know or you for that matter, any poster on this board could be a complete piece of trash when out in society.

So some think they have high baseball intellect more so than others....big deal. I would bet that the majority of posters on both boards have never picked up a bat in a game above little league nor been hit in the ribs with a heater. In other words, don't worry about it.

DirtyBaker
04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
I like it divided. This is the minor leagues of posting. Only a few other forums out there have a system like this and it makes RZ unique.

bounty37h
04-11-2011, 10:31 AM
I dont think this is the minors at all, i just choose not to "apply" for the other board-I dont like that process. They have just as many ridiculous threads/posters over there as we have here :), they just feel elite about it.

FloridaBuckeye
04-11-2011, 10:38 AM
I dont think this is the minors at all, i just choose not to "apply" for the other board-I dont like that process. They have just as many ridiculous threads/posters over there as we have here :), they just feel elite about it.

nicely stated....

Cant Touch This
04-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Facts are facts. The xFip of this post isn't strong enough to qualify for consideration for a promotion. It's surprising to me, too, because the back of your baseball card is impressive: A high Qtip, Xray, CATnip, and Vfart usually indicate a much higher xFip in a given thread. I'd say it's just an aberration.

It's all in good fun. I appreciate the tie-in between data and player performance, but I don't have the time/patience to read a thread that extends 13 pages long, littered with acronyms I then have to research. There's a lot of Alt-Tabbing going on when I try to follow those monsters.

Funny things is...I am actually a sports writer. It's what I do for a living. (obviously, I don't cover sabermetrics, but that doesn't mean I don't find SABR valuable or interesting.) I co-own a suite of web sites and serve as the company's chief editor. I manage a team of college Interns, which requires reading, editing, and revising their work on a daily basis. I also write a weekly column about The Big Ten and contribute to a weekly radio show.

So hey - The Sun Deck isn't just a bunch of hacks!

Regarding those on the other platform that feel empowered or superior - it's all good. Message board egos are nothing new...no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

Carolina_Redleg
04-11-2011, 01:11 PM
It's definitely an interesting system, but one that does make RZ unique. Before signing I pretty much read ORG for years, and never really read the sundeck. But now I don't mind posting here, although it'd be nice to move on to the ORG one day.

Just more volume over there, and more discussion.

redsfanmia
04-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I am surprised this thread has not been closed yet, I don't even think the sundeck gets moderated anymore.

Oxblood
04-11-2011, 02:40 PM
A handful of 'em are pompous, most are respectable.

redsfanmia
04-11-2011, 02:59 PM
A handful of 'em are pompous, most are respectable.

True and its still a great board.

Gallen5862
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Sundeck is moderated as well. It relies on reported posts just like any other forum on this board.
The reason this thread has not been closed is because it is following the rules.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Facts are facts. The xFip of this post isn't strong enough to qualify for consideration for a promotion. It's surprising to me, too, because the back of your baseball card is impressive: A high Qtip, Xray, CATnip, and Vfart usually indicate a much higher xFip in a given thread. I'd say it's just an aberration.

It's all in good fun. I appreciate the tie-in between data and player performance, but I don't have the time/patience to read a thread that extends 13 pages long, littered with acronyms I then have to research. There's a lot of Alt-Tabbing going on when I try to follow those monsters.

Funny things is...I am actually a sports writer. It's what I do for a living. (obviously, I don't cover sabermetrics, but that doesn't mean I don't find SABR valuable or interesting.) I co-own a suite of web sites and serve as the company's chief editor. I manage a team of college Interns, which requires reading, editing, and revising their work on a daily basis. I also write a weekly column about The Big Ten and contribute to a weekly radio show.

So hey - The Sun Deck isn't just a bunch of hacks!

Regarding those on the other platform that feel empowered or superior - it's all good. Message board egos are nothing new...no reason to get bent out of shape about it.

:beerme:

Nice post :thumbup:

Parliament
04-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Sundeck is moderated as well. It relies on reported posts just like any other forum on this board.
The reason this thread has not been closed is because it is following the rules.

I certainly was not trying to break any rules. I just felt that the Sundeck (and by inclusion the people who post here) was being unfairly mocked.

Look, if the ORG posters think we are not worthy of conversing with them so be it.

Fon Duc Tow
04-11-2011, 04:31 PM
What's up Sundeckers?

/endrant

I find this thread to be ******bag-esque, or ORGesque for short. -Homer Bailey Part Duh

bshall2105
04-11-2011, 04:39 PM
The only thing I like better about the ORG is that it's more active than the Sun Deck. Other than that I get tired of having to sift through a novel on every post.

Roush's socks
04-11-2011, 04:54 PM
This is a great site. The ORG part is fun to read, and I respect that those guys don't want to deal with trolls or spam.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
nm

redsfanmia
04-11-2011, 05:07 PM
The only thing I like better about the ORG is that it's more active than the Sun Deck. Other than that I get tired of having to sift through a novel on every post.

I think the ORG has more of a community feel, most of the posters have been posting for a long time and know each other. The ORG has threads that play out more like a conversation than just random statements.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Who you calling Old?

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/Image/the-office/creed.jpg

Vottomatic
04-11-2011, 06:23 PM
I've been rejected twice to join ORG. They don't like my posts.

And Boss Hog doesn't like me either. Kind of like Bud Selig being commissioner. Pete Rose will never be in the HOF and Vottomatic will never make ORG.

Oh well. Life goes on.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 06:47 PM

And Boss Hog doesn't like me either. Kind of like Bud Selig being commissioner. Pete Rose will never be in the HOF and Vottomatic will never make ORG.

Oh well. Life goes on.

Their loss is our gain Vottomatic :beerme:

bshall2105
04-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Oh well. Life goes on.

That's funny, do they give you a reason or how do you find out that you've been rejected?

LeDoux
04-11-2011, 07:52 PM

Oh well. Life goes on.

I know it is disappointing not to get picked for a group, but publically criticizing that group or its members is likely to hurt your cause. You seem like an intelligent chap. I think a softer tone might change some minds.

Jack Burton
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I was denied as well.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 08:37 PM
I know it is disappointing not to get picked for a group, but publically criticizing that group or its members is likely to hurt your cause. You seem like an intelligent chap. I think a softer tone might change some minds.

How is he criticizing anyone? I certainly don't get that from his post.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
That's funny, do they give you a reason or how do you find out that you've been rejected?

I would imagine if you get accepted you get to learn the secret handshake and get the decoder ring :)

You know you are rejected when you try to get into ORG but keep getting rickroll'd

Boss-Hog
04-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't mind if this thread stays open as long as the rules are followed, but the personal matters and false accusations (as Vottomatic incorrectly stated above) that have been discussed in the last few posts do not have a place here. Prior to those posts, this thread was fine.

For what it's worth, I didn't like the snide comment in the ORG thread that the original post in this thread referenced and I made it clear in that thread.

Carolina_Redleg
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Don't really understand all the bashing in here. One of the reason I signed up here is because I didn't find that in the ORG. Of course before signing up to post I never read the Sundeck, so I guess this is my welcoming.

Hopefully I'll be a part of the ORG one day, because that's all I read before signing up. How does one apply for ORG? Of course, I know you have to have posted for a certain amount of time, post count, etc.

Boss-Hog
04-11-2011, 08:54 PM
How does one apply for ORG? Of course, I know you have to have posted for a certain amount of time, post count, etc.

Please see the sticky post in this forum...if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 09:08 PM
For what it's worth, I didn't like the snide comment in the ORG thread that the original post in this thread referenced and I made it clear in that thread.

Thank you boss. I really like the site but seeing all the anti-sundeck comments made me think that if they don't even respect posters here at all, then what is the point of trying to get into ORG. I appreciate your comments on the matter. Especially since we can't communicate with ORG posters directly.

Thank you

bshall2105
04-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Thank you boss. I really like the site but seeing all the anti-sundeck comments made me think that if they don't even respect posters here at all, then what is the point of trying to get into ORG. I appreciate your comments on the matter. Especially since we can't communicate with ORG posters directly.

Thank you

You could always private message

Parliament
04-11-2011, 09:10 PM
You could always private message

....since I started the thread I'd figured I post. Thanks for the input though :confused:

bshall2105
04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
....since I started the thread I'd figured I post. Thanks for the input though :confused:

Lol I meant that if you want to talk to one of them directly you could private message them. Sorry for not being clear.

Parliament
04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Lol I meant that if you want to talk to one of them directly you could private message them. Sorry for not being clear.

Ahhhh, gotcha :D

Carolina_Redleg
04-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks, Boss. Maybe I should have looked for the sticky instead of asking when the answer was right under my nose!

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 09:31 PM
You get good, quality information from both sites. It's like going to two different places.

The SunDeck is like a good Tavern, and the Old Red Guard is like a good Club (in a Connecticut kind of way, if you've ever lived there, you'd know what I mean). Different atmospheres, but everyone essentially is looking for the same thing...a place to discuss the REDS. The "noise" level is just different.

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 01:53 AM
One thing you can certainly say about The Sundeck vs The Old Red Guard.....neither one holds a patent on "The Sky is Falling".

Mutaman
04-12-2011, 02:16 AM
You should see what we say in the Peanut gallery about both you groups!

wlf WV
04-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Difference, with ORG you get a lifelong Cardinal fan(ORG member and frequent poster)starting a thread asking Reds fans to choose either Red Sox or Yankees!

Vottomatic
04-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't mind if this thread stays open as long as the rules are followed, but the personal matters and false accusations (as Vottomatic incorrectly stated above) that have been discussed in the last few posts do not have a place here. Prior to those posts, this thread was fine.

I took it private and sent you a pm, Boss.

Although I don't see how any opinion is an accusation.

But I'll move on. As I said initially, life goes on.

Brisco
04-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I have been a fan of the Zone since the day it opened and I believe I always will be.

I have never found the level of quality discussion anywhere else on the web, and yes, most of it seems to appear on the ORG. That said, I gotta admit it is frustrating and a bit humiliating to be reading an ORG thread and have a comment spring to mind and then realize I am not allowed to be part of the conversation.

I will always be more of a passive reader and will probably never develop the level of sports expertise that would be necessary to be a member of ORG. I am one of those guys that never played baseball after little league and has to look up almost every acronym. I am just a devout fan of the Cincinnati Reds that loves to come commiserate with others that share that affection... especially after a win.

CrimsonCrusader
04-12-2011, 09:38 PM
I have a question, along these lines...

As a "noob" here...I find myself asking...WHY is it worth the time to post here? There is no access to the "current" game thread, you have a "divided" group, all the obvious in-fighting between "factions", etc...

....WHAT the hell?!?

If someone can give me information on a real board to spend time watching the game with, that may be worth my time being here.

Otherwise...am I missing something, here?

If I am, PLEASE let me know.

Stray
04-12-2011, 09:42 PM

As a "noob" here...I find myself asking...WHY is it worth the time to post here? There is no access to the "current" game thread, you have a "divided" group, all the obvious in-fighting between "factions", etc...

....WHAT the hell?!?

If someone can give me information on a real board to spend time watching the game with, that may be worth my time being here.

Us Sundeckers have our own game thread section. Other than that I can't answer any of your q's, I don't really know how anything works around here. I just hang in the SD.

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 09:42 PM

....WHAT the hell?!?

There's a "current" game thread in both the ORG, and the Sundeck. You have access to the game thread in the SunDeck.

texasdave
04-12-2011, 09:43 PM
You signed up to post that you don't see any reason to sign up? Is that what I think I just read?

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 09:53 PM
You signed up to post that you don't see any reason to sign up? Is that what I think I just read?

That's how I read it.

Thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, though.

bleedsred
04-12-2011, 09:59 PM
Well Josh Hamilton broke his arm so the Volquez trade is a good one now....

................jk.

ThornWithin81
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
This is a great site. The ORG part is fun to read, and I respect that those guys don't want to deal with trolls or spam.

Agreed.

bounty37h
04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
I have been a fan of the Zone since the day it opened and I believe I always will be.

I have never found the level of quality discussion anywhere else on the web, and yes, most of it seems to appear on the ORG. That said, I gotta admit it is frustrating and a bit humiliating to be reading an ORG thread and have a comment spring to mind and then realize I am not allowed to be part of the conversation.

I will always be more of a passive reader and will probably never develop the level of sports expertise that would be necessary to be a member of ORG. I am one of those guys that never played baseball after little league and has to look up almost every acronym. I am just a devout fan of the Cincinnati Reds that loves to come commiserate with others that share that affection... especially after a win.

Good post Brisco. I used to read the org, but found the same frustrations of you , wanting to comment occasionally and not being able to. I quit even looking at it to be honest-if anything just birng the toipic over here and see what this baord comes up with. I know I (or anyone here) could just apply and see for the other board, but thats not really my style.

CrimsonCrusader
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM

You can't really "see" anything until you sign up, go through the different threads, etc., thank you. At least, you can't know all this is going on, until you explore it a bit. I wasn't going to troll around, so I signed up. In exploring after I signed up, I discovered all of that.

THAT'S what I was saying. So you read it wrong.

CrimsonCrusader
04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
That's how I read it.

Thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, though.

Ditto from my last post.

AintlifeGrande
04-13-2011, 02:30 PM
What's up Sundeckers?

/endrant

Exactly what I posted in another thread.We are all Reds fans,and should not be treated as second class fans.

AintlifeGrande
04-13-2011, 02:34 PM
The irony is epic.I see there is a Cards fans on the ORG.What gives?

AintlifeGrande
04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
My buddy JR's boy told me about this place.Said he made the ORG,even donated 20 bucks to the cause.Well after the big shake up here he got sent back to the Sundeck.I dont believe he posts much on here anymore.

Boss-Hog
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
The irony is epic.I see there is a Cards fans on the ORG.What gives?

Because even though this is a Reds'-focused site, it's open to fans of any team that can discuss baseball within the spirit and rules of the board? As long as they do that, all of your peers need to be treated with the same level of respect, regardless of what team a user roots for. The poster you're referring to has been nothing but respectful of others since the day he joined this site and I find it refreshing to get other points of view from fans of teams other than the Reds.

Cant Touch This
04-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I contributed $20 to RedsZone a few years back before the shakeup. I used to spend a lot more time interacting here and felt it was worth $20 just to do my part to help keep the site up and running. I don't necessarily regret making that contribution, but I've learned my lesson about donating to message boards.

Since then, my frequency of visits has dropped dramatically, as too has my post count. In fact, what's sad is that I find myself joining conversations like this, about the site organization, more than I talk about the Reds. The complexion of the site, in my opinion, changed noticeably after the shift and I've never really been able to embrace that change.

At least when I go to Reds games, I still get to choose my section. Could you imagine if GABP implemented a similar approach to fan seating? I'm going to have a little fun with this.

For the new fan:

"I'm sorry sir, is this your first time here? Ah, I see. Didn't anybody tell you? Man, this is awkward...I'm just going to have to tell it to you straight. You have to come to at least 90 games before you can sit down here. I know, I know...the other clubs don't have these restrictions in place, but for whatever reason, this area was getting cluttered with bad people. Not that you're bad. Look, I'm not telling you that you're bad. Don't take that the wrong way. You're just not good enough. No, that came out wrong. How do I put this...you're simply not "qualified." At least not yet. But listen, listen...I can help you get there. We have this fan-in-training program that's open to anyone! Yeah - can you believe it? Anyone can take part in this! We'll even let you listen to how fans in the other sections cheer. Please don't join in - you're not allowed - but we do recommend listening to their approach to cheering because that will help mold you into the type of fan we allow to sit down here. We have reserved unlimited seating for our trainees out behind the left field fence. I hope you don't have a bad back..."

Or...for those who aren't newbies, but simply didn't make the cut:

"Uh, pardon me, sir? We've been listening to the way you root for the Reds. Well, we may have been listening - you'll never really know - but that's not the point. We have determined that you don't bring anything to the crowd that we can't find in a mob of people wandering aimlessly. Therefore, we've decided you're not permitted to enter the sections where 34,000 of the fans are allowed to sit. We have, though....and you're going to love this...roped off a special section for you and others who we've dubbed as fans-in-training: What's great about this section is it's so high, you can see the city skyline and the Ohio River. On breezy days, you can even smell it! Keep in mind, however, if you'd like to catch some actual baseball action, we recommend bringing binoculars."

(I'll probably get warned or possibly banned, but if you can't have a sense of humor about stuff like this, then you're taking message board space far too seriously.)

Speaking of which - I'm making the trip into Cincy this weekend with one of my boys and we're catching our first game of the season on Sunday. See ya at the ol' ball yard!

Parliament
04-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Awesome post Cant Touch This! I think you have summed up the absurdity many of us feel regarding the separation of ORG and Sundeck.

kudos

Sean_CaseyRules
04-13-2011, 04:28 PM
Definite good post man. I know I may be crucified for taking a side, but that's exactly how I felt. I was here before the shake-down and wasn't "qualified" to make the Big League Club, but in all honesty, I'm not too down about it anymore. When it first happened I was genuinely pissed about it, but now, I just wanna talk about the Reds with some Reds fans.

I don't care if it's in the Big Leagues, or down here in the minors. I just enjoy spending my time making good conversation with some fellow fans. And if someday I get the call to the ORG, then fine, but I'm not gonna be bitter about it like I was when this all first started.

/end rant

Cant Touch This
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Definite good post man. I know I may be crucified for taking a side, but that's exactly how I felt. I was here before the shake-down and wasn't "qualified" to make the Big League Club, but in all honesty, I'm not too down about it anymore. When it first happened I was genuinely pissed about it, but now, I just wanna talk about the Reds with some Reds fans.

I don't care if it's in the Big Leagues, or down here in the minors. I just enjoy spending my time making good conversation with some fellow fans. And if someday I get the call to the ORG, then fine, but I'm not gonna be bitter about it like I was when this all first started.

/end rant

Believe it or not (and it's hard to believe after that little scene I wrote) I'm not bitter about it anymore either. I just like to have fun with it. The initial feeling of rejection, for lack of a better term, was a bit unsettling, and I'm sure it led to my bias against the separation. But like I said - it's now more of a joke to me than anything and I love to poke fun at it like I did with that fictional tribute.

For what it's worth, I have not, and will not apply for consideration. It would go against the grain of how I feel about the split. Besides, over time, I honestly don't feel I belong in that group anyway. It has nothing to do with my ability to communicate a coherent thought, nor with a lack of passion for baseball and the Reds. My interest in baseball, and my history with the Reds and related organizations is extremely deep rooted - more than I've ever let on here. But most (not all) of the stuff I read on ORG doesn't really interest me past the first 3 or 4 replies in a given thread. The next 50+ replies commonly feature one opinion after the next, each one taking great effort to defend a position with this stat or the other stat....it's honestly too much for me to absorb so I lose interest.

I need to put down the coffee.

Sean_CaseyRules
04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
Believe it or not (and it's hard to believe after that little scene I wrote) I'm not bitter about it anymore either. I just like to have fun with it. The initial feeling of rejection, for lack of a better term, was a bit unsettling, and I'm sure it led to my bias against the separation. But like I said - it's now more of a joke to me than anything and I love to poke fun at it like I did with that fictional tribute.

For what it's worth, I have not, and will not apply for consideration. It would go against the grain of how I feel about the split. Besides, over time, I honestly don't feel I belong in that group anyway. It has nothing to do with my ability to communicate a coherent thought, nor with a lack of passion for baseball and the Reds. My interest in baseball, and my history with the Reds and related organizations is extremely deep rooted - more than I've ever let on here. But most (not all) of the stuff I read on ORG doesn't really interest me past the first 3 or 4 replies in a given thread. The next 50+ replies commonly feature one opinion after the next, each one taking great effort to defend a position with this stat or the other stat....it's honestly too much for me to absorb so I lose interest.

I need to put down the coffee.

I may be reading into this more than I should, but first off I'd like to say, I wasn't trying to call you out for being bitter. I know I was when it first happened, it was kind of more towards everyone who got/will be rejected, and that the SD is an awesome place. No need for anyone to be bitter about any of it.

I read the ORG from time to time, and feel the same way. I've almost completely stopped even clicking on them to see if they have any news that we don't have yet. I guess I like the use of limited stats here. Usually here we get straight to the point with stats, and not use obscure SABR stats. (Not saying they don't have their place in the game, I just don't understand most of them)

thorn
04-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I contributed $20 to RedsZone a few years back before the shakeup. I used to spend a lot more time interacting here and felt it was worth $20 just to do my part to help keep the site up and running. I don't necessarily regret making that contribution, but I've learned my lesson about donating to message boards.

Since then, my frequency of visits has dropped dramatically, as too has my post count. In fact, what's sad is that I find myself joining conversations like this, about the site organization, more than I talk about the Reds. The complexion of the site, in my opinion, changed noticeably after the shift and I've never really been able to embrace that change.

At least when I go to Reds games, I still get to choose my section. Could you imagine if GABP implemented a similar approach to fan seating? I'm going to have a little fun with this.

For the new fan:

"I'm sorry sir, is this your first time here? Ah, I see. Didn't anybody tell you? Man, this is awkward...I'm just going to have to tell it to you straight. You have to come to at least 90 games before you can sit down here. I know, I know...the other clubs don't have these restrictions in place, but for whatever reason, this area was getting cluttered with bad people. Not that you're bad. Look, I'm not telling you that you're bad. Don't take that the wrong way. You're just not good enough. No, that came out wrong. How do I put this...you're simply not "qualified." At least not yet. But listen, listen...I can help you get there. We have this fan-in-training program that's open to anyone! Yeah - can you believe it? Anyone can take part in this! We'll even let you listen to how fans in the other sections cheer. Please don't join in - you're not allowed - but we do recommend listening to their approach to cheering because that will help mold you into the type of fan we allow to sit down here. We have reserved unlimited seating for our trainees out behind the left field fence. I hope you don't have a bad back..."

Or...for those who aren't newbies, but simply didn't make the cut:

"Uh, pardon me, sir? We've been listening to the way you root for the Reds. Well, we may have been listening - you'll never really know - but that's not the point. We have determined that you don't bring anything to the crowd that we can't find in a mob of people wandering aimlessly. Therefore, we've decided you're not permitted to enter the sections where 34,000 of the fans are allowed to sit. We have, though....and you're going to love this...roped off a special section for you and others who we've dubbed as fans-in-training: What's great about this section is it's so high, you can see the city skyline and the Ohio River. On breezy days, you can even smell it! Keep in mind, however, if you'd like to catch some actual baseball action, we recommend bringing binoculars."

(I'll probably get warned or possibly banned, but if you can't have a sense of humor about stuff like this, then you're taking message board space far too seriously.)

Speaking of which - I'm making the trip into Cincy this weekend with one of my boys and we're catching our first game of the season on Sunday. See ya at the ol' ball yard!

At the very least, I appreciate the humor of it. Nice job of putting that together.

Cant Touch This
04-13-2011, 05:01 PM
I may be reading into this more than I should, but first off I'd like to say, I wasn't trying to call you out for being bitter. I know I was when it first happened, it was kind of more towards everyone who got/will be rejected, and that the SD is an awesome place. No need for anyone to be bitter about any of it.

I read the ORG from time to time, and feel the same way. I've almost completely stopped even clicking on them to see if they have any news that we don't have yet. I guess I like the use of limited stats here. Usually here we get straight to the point with stats, and not use obscure SABR stats. (Not saying they don't have their place in the game, I just don't understand most of them)

It's all good, man. I follow a similar pattern and philosophy as you do. I still travel to the ORG site to check for breaking news or whatever, but just don't stay around for the analysis. And I completely agree that my actions shouldn't be taken as a statement that spewing dozens of SABR acronyms and buying into moneyball is wrong, or that there's no place for it. It also doesn't mean I don't endorse the use of them when evaluating a player.

It just doesn't resonate with me because I don't find myself that attached to individual players anymore. As soon as I do, they trade in their jerseys for new ones.

CrimsonCrusader
04-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Hurrah, Can't Touch This. Well done.

I'm happy to take that "side" as far as that is concerned -- and I also enjoy talking with other Reds fans, as well, Sean CaseyRules. So I agree with both of you, unabashedly.

I have my, er, own philosophy....

I look at it like you are who YOU think you are...you don't need anything or anyone to define you. I don't consider myself in "the minors" -- I'm on a message board, period...it's not THAT serious.

YOU define yourself. Damn everyone else.

In that frame of mind -- that makes all of that "split" business seem a little silly now, doesn't it?

redsfanmia
04-13-2011, 06:29 PM
It cracks me up that a thread like this flares up every 3-4 months. I was in the ORG for a while before the last change and honestly have no interest in going back (I just don't want to put forth the effort of posting only high quality thought out posts, not anything against the members). It is what it is. Post in the sundeck or post in the other sections and be done with it.

bshall2105
04-13-2011, 06:43 PM
It cracks me up that a thread like this flares up every 3-4 months. I was in the ORG for a while before the last change and honestly have no interest in going back (I just don't want to put forth the effort of posting only high quality thought out posts, not anything against the members). It is what it is. Post in the sundeck or post in the other sections and be done with it.

Was it actually the best 6 months of you life?

CrimsonCrusader
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Not trying to "flare up" the board (God forbid)...but...I'd like to know, as well?

...just askin'....:D

redsfanmia
04-13-2011, 06:52 PM

What do you think?

Natty Redlocks
04-13-2011, 06:59 PM

This is pretty close to what happened to me. I made it to ORG on the strength of song parodies that went over well with a few people, but I still posted mostly here. I'm not that knowledgeable about baseball, and don't usually have much to add unless I'm being a smartass or something. I got dumped from ORG and haven't had a problem with it at all; I read it more than Sundeck because the most knowledgeable posters are over there, like it or not. Overall, I think you maybe have to explore some other teams' sites to appreciate how good Redszone is. I know as a recovering Cubs fan it's waay better than NSBB, which appears to be their closest equivalent. So I'd just like to say thank you to the owners of Redszone for taking everybody, even if they're not exactly what you're looking for.

CrimsonCrusader
04-13-2011, 07:20 PM
What do you think?

I think yer bein' sarcastic, myself...which, well...is fine by me.

But, I digress. It's all good.

Simon Rhymon
04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm new, as evidenced by my post count, but lurked for awhile before joining. I was aware of the requirements to be promoted to the ORG, didn't think too much about it, but just learned that you can get demoted by reading this thread. My apologies for smiling when I read that. I had no idea that there is a constant evaluation going on to continue to remain in ORG. It's interesting that you have to prove yourself every day. I have no opinion one way or the other as to the value of that system other than to say the man who pays the bills can run his site any way he wishes.

I joined Redszone to be able to have in-game discussions, offer an occasional opinion, and have a laugh or two concerning the Reds and baseball. I didn't join with the hope of being promoted to a higher order due to some insightful comments that I might make. I didn't even think about the possibility. I just wanted to be part of a group that cared about the Reds. The folks that hang out in Sundeck seem to be knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and of good humor. What else do I need from a message board?

I truly appreciate the value of a subsidized site for the benefit of civilly discussing my team. It's not cheap to maintain a site either monetarily or timewise and for that, I thank the owners profusely.

Enjoy what the site provides whether it's the Sundeck or ORG and don't worry about being restricted to posting in certain areas. Do what I do - don't spend alot of time where you can't offer anything.

Hondo
04-14-2011, 02:05 PM
This thread reminds me of an ORG Thread

Old NDN
04-15-2011, 11:32 AM
I saw the quote also. Pretty arrogant stuff. I've been on here since '05, and have seen a few other similar comments occasionally. No big deal. If it makes one feel more "worthy" then go for it. I enjoy reading the various opinions, ideas, and information in both groups. I just don't post a lot. Being in the Sun Deck doesn't make me any less knowledgeable or passionate about the Reds or baseball. I refuse to believe that the number of posts is an indicator of one's baseball intelligence. Sometimes, its just the opposite. In the end, we're all Reds fans, wanting OUR team to be successful.

Boss-Hog
04-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm new, as evidenced by my post count, but lurked for awhile before joining. I was aware of the requirements to be promoted to the ORG, didn't think too much about it, but just learned that you can get demoted by reading this thread. My apologies for smiling when I read that. I had no idea that there is a constant evaluation going on to continue to remain in ORG. It's interesting that you have to prove yourself every day. I have no opinion one way or the other as to the value of that system other than to say the man who pays the bills can run his site any way he wishes.

I joined Redszone to be able to have in-game discussions, offer an occasional opinion, and have a laugh or two concerning the Reds and baseball. I didn't join with the hope of being promoted to a higher order due to some insightful comments that I might make. I didn't even think about the possibility. I just wanted to be part of a group that cared about the Reds. The folks that hang out in Sundeck seem to be knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, and of good humor. What else do I need from a message board?

I truly appreciate the value of a subsidized site for the benefit of civilly discussing my team. It's not cheap to maintain a site either monetarily or timewise and for that, I thank the owners profusely.

Enjoy what the site provides whether it's the Sundeck or ORG and don't worry about being restricted to posting in certain areas. Do what I do - don't spend alot of time where you can't offer anything.
You bring up some good and interesting points that are not lost on me. I do, however, want to point out a few things: for one, not everyone in this thread that has claimed to formerly have had ORG posting access did indeed have that access. Some of the people are telling the truth and others aren't; at the very least, they're exaggerating for effect. My memory tells me who did and didn't in most cases, but for those that I'm not sure about, it's easy enough for us to check. I'm not going to call out the individuals who aren't being truthful about it because I don't see what good that would do, but suffice to say, their dishonesty has certainly been noted.

Secondly, while I can certainly understand why those who are telling the truth got the impression they were "demoted", individuals have never been singled out and "relegated" back to the Sun Deck. If someone was given ORG posting access, whether it be by the original decision GIK and I made when we appointed what we felt were the top X number of posters on the site (with consideration also given to whether or not the poster was still active) or whether the poster was voted in by ORG members, we've never once sent someone back to the Sun Deck. What they're referring to is a decision not to be included in that initial number of posters we granted ORG access to three or fours years ago when the Sun Deck was created. It is true that they were no longer able to communicate with a large number of people they previously were able to when we had a single baseball forum. However, it's not accurate to insinuate we've ever said 'so and so isn't making quality enough posts, so time to send him or her back down to the Sun Deck' because that's never happened, nor will it ever. As long as you can follow some basic rules that apply to everyone, there is not a daily need to 'prove yourself' regardless of what forum you have access to in order to maintain that access. I acknowledge that the model we've employed for the past several years here is an unusual one, but despite that, I feel, for the most part, it works.

TheBigLebowski
04-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I was in the ORG for several years..then Pangea started splitting due to continental drift and lots of us had to apply to get on the raft fashioned of bamboo sticks to get back to the mainland..and apparently the raft couldn't carry us all, so some of us were voted off or, stated differently, not given access to the raft and were left behind in what we can just refer to as modern day Canada. Thing is, Canada ended up being pretty cool...poutine, good, strong beer, funny accents, the occasional snobbish Quebecker and cheap prescription drugs. The sin tax sucks, though.

I was one of those who applied for permission to get on the raft for safe passage to the promised land, but lacked the necessary votes to gain a spot. Bothered me at first but I am fine with it now...I have no desire to leave where I am. I have a lot folks I miss in the ORG but I get to interact with them in chat or on the other forums, like the tavern and non-sports chatter...and the minor league forum....plus, I have a bond with a few of the Sun Deckers for Life. I'm here with youse guys for good, my friends.

I read the initial post in question....kinda rubbed me the wrong way but I forgot about it in 3 minutes. This is just a message board; not some mythical rite of passage or Purgatory. What anyone thinks of me here is of little consequence.

I will say this - I am not completely sure why the need exists to separate people here. Those who violate rules on a consistent basis or just prove to be a general annoyance should just be banned and the rest should be able to interact. I would prefer the site to be that way but, hey, it's not my site. And I am forever grateful for what the people who run this place have given me. There is no better Cincinnati Reds site around. Bar none. Thanks to all of you who provide it.

Kingspoint
04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Every great Church has divisions in it's ranks whenever it starts to increase in size. A few break off to start another Church, and both eventually end up flourishing.

bshall2105
04-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Every great Church has divisions in it's ranks whenever it starts to increase in size. A few break off to start another Church, and both eventually end up flourishing.

So you're going to start a new forum?:)

Simon Rhymon
04-15-2011, 10:33 PM
@TheBigLebowski - If the forum provided the facility to give rep points, you would get a slew from me. Great post. You crack me up. :laugh:

texasdave
04-16-2011, 12:09 AM
@TheBigLebowski - If the forum provided the facility to give rep points, you would get a slew from me. Great post. You crack me up. :laugh:

You're new here. Don't encourage him. :D

Simon Rhymon
04-16-2011, 12:59 AM

http://hypervocal.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/joe-biden.jpg

TheBigLebowski
04-16-2011, 03:37 PM

Ah, my man Dave...don't act like you don't like me.

takealeake
04-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised the mods let this thread go. LOL.

I think of it this way, I haven't been on here in a while, still getting in the swing of the baseball season after losing FSN Ohio on my TV this year and some personal stuff, but I've been here a decent amount of time.

I think of the ORG like the luxury suite wine and cheesers and the Sun Deck as the diehard cheap seats who sneak a flask into the game and get wild. I rather be in the latter than the former. :beerme:

defender
04-16-2011, 04:52 PM
As someone who post 50-60 times a year, I can't really worry about being in ORG or sundeck. I have noticed that there are more threads that should not be started in sundeck (though not as much lately). I don't really complain, because overall there are not enough threads started in sundeck.

For all the complaining about the early decision to make Gomes the starting left fielder, no one has thought it worthwhile to start a thread praising Gomes' good start? Again, I can't really complain, because I could start a Gomes thread.

I am not much of a thread starter. all I can say is: nice job Gomes!

Kingspoint
04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm surprised the mods let this thread go. LOL.

I think of it this way, I haven't been on here in a while, still getting in the swing of the baseball season after losing FSN Ohio on my TV this year and some personal stuff, but I've been here a decent amount of time.

I think of the ORG like the luxury suite wine and cheesers and the Sun Deck as the diehard cheap seats who sneak a flask into the game and get wild. I rather be in the latter than the former. :beerme:

bounty37h
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM

double up :beerme::beerme:

foxfire123
04-18-2011, 06:44 PM

^ Yeah, That. I've no interest in joining ORG simply because I don't think I'm "serious" enough about the sport to ever qualify. :) I don't follow stats or analyze performance in-depth enough. I do that enough with my other hobby, I just don't have the time or energy to do it for a second! lol!

I DO wish the board would allow giving Rep points in Sundeck tho, there are some guys here who are fabulous at explaining things in an understandable manner, others who crack me up, etc who I'd like to be able to acknowledge without cluttering the board with "atta boys!" kinds of posts.

foxfire123
04-18-2011, 06:52 PM

Oh well. Life goes on.

's alrright. We like you just fine here. :beerme:

Vottomatic
04-18-2011, 07:05 PM
I was in the ORG for several years..then Pangea started splitting due to continental drift and lots of us had to apply to get on the raft fashioned of bamboo sticks to get back to the mainland..and apparently the raft couldn't carry us all, so some of us were voted off or, stated differently, not given access to the raft and were left behind in what we can just refer to as modern day Canada. Thing is, Canada ended up being pretty cool...poutine, good, strong beer, funny accents, the occasional snobbish Quebecker and cheap prescription drugs. The sin tax sucks, though.

I was one of those who applied for permission to get on the raft for safe passage to the promised land, but lacked the necessary votes to gain a spot. Bothered me at first but I am fine with it now...I have no desire to leave where I am. I have a lot folks I miss in the ORG but I get to interact with them in chat or on the other forums, like the tavern and non-sports chatter...and the minor league forum....plus, I have a bond with a few of the Sun Deckers for Life. I'm here with youse guys for good, my friends.

I read the initial post in question....kinda rubbed me the wrong way but I forgot about it in 3 minutes. This is just a message board; not some mythical rite of passage or Purgatory. What anyone thinks of me here is of little consequence.

I will say this - I am not completely sure why the need exists to separate people here. Those who violate rules on a consistent basis or just prove to be a general annoyance should just be banned and the rest should be able to interact. I would prefer the site to be that way but, hey, it's not my site. And I am forever grateful for what the people who run this place have given me. There is no better Cincinnati Reds site around. Bar none. Thanks to all of you who provide it.

When I read ORG, I'm shocked at some of the posters they allow to remain. And then I'm shocked that I didn't get enough votes after reading some of the stuff those guys post over there.

If it's supposed to be an elite group of posters, it's gone down hill alot. They should probably sink the ship again and have another vote. Cause it has gotten crowded over there. :D

Boss-Hog
04-18-2011, 07:33 PM
I didn't like the potshot that was made over in the ORG that prompted this thread and I don't like some of the recent ones in this thread. The system is what it is, so let's get back to discussing baseball.