PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NCAA Baseball Season

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-04-11/baseball-weekend-review

Pac-10 ē No. 19 Oregon State swept No. 5 Arizona State for the first time since 1966--and the first-ever time in Corvallis--sparked by Ryan Dunnís outstanding offensive performances. It was also the first time the Sun Devils have been swept by a Pac-10 opponent since 1999. Dunn went 6 for 11 with three doubles, a home run and six RBIs in the series. The Beavers moved into second place in the Pac-10 standings, just a half-game behind first-place UCLA.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:40 PM
ACC • No. 2 Virginia won a key series in the Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division against No. 11 Georgia Tech, but the Yellow Jackets were able to conclude the series on a winning note with a 10-8 victory on April 10. The loss ended a 12-game winning streak for the Cavaliers. For the Yellow Jackets, junior Jake Davies went 4 for 4 with three RBIs, while sophomore pitcher Buck Farmer notched his sixth consecutive victory. Virginia stands one game ahead of Georgia Tech and North Carolina in the competitive ACC Coastal Division standings.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
SEC

• No. 22 Arkansas won in walk-off fashion for the second consecutive day, fending off No. 15 LSU 5-4 en route to a three-game sweep of the Tigers in Southeastern Conference action. It was the Razorbacks' first sweep of the Tigers since 2004, and moved Arkansas into second place in the SEC West Division standings, one game behind divisional leader Alabama.

• No. 1 Vanderbilt helped Arkansas in the SEC West Division race as the Commodores earned their first sweep of Alabama since 1986. VU has won a school-record eight consecutive SEC games, and is tied with South Carolina for first place in the SEC East.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Big-12 • Kansas State upset No. 9 Oklahoma, as the Wildcats claimed their first series win against the Sooners since 2001 with a 6-2 win in the finale on April 10. It was also the Wildcats’ first series victory against a top-10 team since taking two games at No. 2 Texas in 2009.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Big West • After falling to No. 16 UC Irvine 15-3 in Friday night’s match-up, No. 13 Cal State Fullerton bounced back with consecutive victories against the Anteaters to win the Big West Conference series and grab first place in the league standings.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Atlantic-10 • Charlotte senior outfielder Cory Tilton posted a season-best four hits along with three RBIs as he led the 49ers to an 11-1 win against Saint Joseph’s as they stretched their winning streak to seven. The 49ers have won 14 of their last 15 games and stand on top of the Atlantic 10 with an 8-1 mark.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:43 PM
MAC • Kent State cruised to a series sweep of Eastern Michigan in Mid-American Conference play as the Golden Flashes ran their winning streak to nine consecutive to maintain control of first place in the MAC East Division standings.

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:45 PM
#83 Michigan State is the highest ranked Big-10 team.

Thus explains the small amount of interest by most Redszoner's in NCAA Baseball.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1

Kingspoint
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Conference-USA is one of the Nation's best:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-04-08/c-usa-emerges-one-nation%E2%80%99s-best

Six of Conference USA’s nine teams were in the top 50 of the NCAA’s first RPI rankings released Tuesday. Only the Southeastern Conference (10) and Atlantic Coast Conference (8) have more, while the Big 12 (6) is tied with C-USA.

Southern Miss, the highest in C-USA at No. 2, has been the league’s best team so far with a 22-6 record. The Golden Eagles also have a 2-1 record against teams from the SEC—long considered the gold standard for college baseball.

Kingspoint
05-16-2011, 05:57 PM
so which is the strongest team in this season.

It was an exciting weekend of baseball as teams kept battling for those precious spots in league tournaments as several conference races are coming down to the final days.

Not much was settled in Southeastern Conference play over the weekend, as three Eastern Division teams and four Western Division teams are tied for first place in their respective divisions. Vanderbilt entered the weekend leading South Carolina and Florida by one game, but the Gators took two of three games from the Commodores. After the Gamecocks won two of three in the Arkansas series, all three teams are tied at 20-7 in league play. Arkansas, Mississippi State, Alabama and Auburn are in a traffic jam at the top of the Western Division standings with identical 13-14 marks.

Positions in the Atlantic Coast Conference standings remained exactly the same as Florida State took two of three games against NC State to keep a three-game lead in the Atlantic Division, while Virginia and Georgia Tech won series against Miami and North Carolina, respectively, as the four squads stayed put in the Coastal Division standings.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-05-16/sec-remains-cluttered-top

Baseball America Top-10 (before this last weekend):

1 Virginia..........43-5
2 Oregon State..........34-11
3 Vanderbilt..........40-6
4 South Carolina..........37-10
5 Texas ..........36-12
6 Arizona State..........35-11
7 Florida State..........36-12
8 Florida..........36-12
9 Cal State Fullerton..........33-13
10 TCU..........33-14

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/baseball_america

dabvu2498
05-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I was at the Vanderbilt-Florida series this weekend. Crazy series. Vandy had a 4-2 lead through 6 innings complete Friday night when the rains set in. The game was suspended and restarted Saturday. UF scored 4 in the last 3 innings off the Vandy bullpen to win 6-5. Vandy won the 2nd game Saturday 14-1 then lost Sunday 6-3 in 12 innings.

TheBigLebowski
05-17-2011, 06:51 AM
I was at the Vanderbilt-Florida series this weekend. Crazy series. Vandy had a 4-2 lead through 6 innings complete Friday night when the rains set in. The game was suspended and restarted Saturday. UF scored 4 in the last 3 innings off the Vandy bullpen to win 6-5. Vandy won the 2nd game Saturday 14-1 then lost Sunday 6-3 in 12 innings.

That was a big, big series for us. The rain delay was a blessing - we no longer had to face Sonny Gray.

dabvu2498
05-17-2011, 09:48 AM
That was a big, big series for us. The rain delay was a blessing - we no longer had to face Sonny Gray.

And Gray wasn't all that great Friday. Pitched out of a couple jams.

But yes, 8 of the 13 runs UF scored on the weekend were off the Vandy bullpen.

Kingspoint
05-30-2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/brackets/baseball/d1/2011

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-05-30/division-i-baseball-bracket-released

Each of the 16 regionals features four teams, playing a double-elimination format. The regionals are scheduled to be conducted from Friday, June 3, to Monday, June 6 (if necessary). Selection of the eight super regional hosts will be announced on www.ncaa.com/cws, Monday, June 6 at approximately 11 p.m. ET.

The 65th Men’s College World Series begins play Saturday, June 18, at the new TD Ameritrade Park Omaha in Omaha, Nebraska.

Kingspoint
06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
The Top-7 seeded teams won their regionals, but many of the remaining 16 hosts lost their Regionals.

#1 teams that lost their Regional and won't be advancing to the Super-Regionals:

Rice
UCLA
TCU
Clemson
Cal-State Fullerton
Georgia Tech
TBD: Texas A&M (game vs Arizona rained out and will be on Tuesday)

Kingspoint
06-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Oral Roberts trying to be the only #4 seed in their Regional to make it to the Super Regionals having spotted Dallas-Baptist 8 runs in the first. Currently trailing 11-9 in the bottom of the 7th.

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/baseball/d1

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Super Regional schedule:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-06-07/super-regional-sites-times-released

Charlottesville Super-Regional: UC Irvine vs Virginia (my prediction: Virginia)
Santa Clara Super-Regional: Dallas Baptist vs California (my prediction: California)
Tallahassee Super-Regional: Texas A&M vs Florida State (my prediction: Florida State)
Columbia Super-Regional: Connecticut vs South Carolina (my prediction: South Carolina)
Gainesville Super-Regional: Mississippi State vs Florida (my prediction: Florida)
Austin Super-Regional: Arizona State vs Texas (Probably the most evenly matched Super-Regional...should go three games) (my prediction: Arizona State)
Nashville Super-Regional: Oregon State vs Vanderbilt (my prediction: Oregon State)
Chapel Hill Super-Regional: Stanford vs North Carolina (my prediction: North Carolina)

My prediction to win it all: Florida

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 06:31 PM
The Top-7 seeded teams won their regionals, but many of the remaining 16 hosts lost their Regionals.

#1 teams that lost their Regional and won't be advancing to the Super-Regionals:

Rice
UCLA
TCU
Clemson
Cal-State Fullerton
Georgia Tech
TBD: Texas A&M (game vs Arizona rained out and will be on Tuesday)
Texas A&M survived scoring 3 in the bottom of the 8th to beat Arizona 3-0 today and get the last Super-Regional spot.

dabvu2498
06-07-2011, 06:48 PM
No chance Mississippi St. beats Florida.

I'l be at the Oregon State-Vandy series and I'm hoping you're goinna be wrong about that one too.

I'm generally a pessimist when it comes to my alma mater, but I don't think Oregon State has enough offense. But anything can happen in a 3 game series.

Kingspoint
06-07-2011, 08:47 PM
No chance Mississippi St. beats Florida.

I'l be at the Oregon State-Vandy series and I'm hoping you're goinna be wrong about that one too.

I'm generally a pessimist when it comes to my alma mater, but I don't think Oregon State has enough offense. But anything can happen in a 3 game series.

I agree with you. If I was betting, I'd pick Vanderbilt because they are at home. But, Oregon State really has been good in these tournaments the last half-a-dozen years.

dabvu2498
06-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I agree with you. If I was betting, I'd pick Vanderbilt because they are at home. But, Oregon State really has been good in these tournaments the last half-a-dozen years.

And Vandy, generally hasn't, and that's what gives me pause.

I'l say this about Vandy: they're tremoundously talented and their best kids are veterans. 6 of the top 117 pics in the draft were Vandy kids and I know at least 4 more have been drafted. All 3 of their "weekend" SPs will be playing pro ball in a month.

Corbin has done a better job building a program there than I could have ever dreamed and I hope he stays there 60 years.

That said, it's time to take the next step and go to Omaha.

Kingspoint
06-08-2011, 02:57 AM
And Vandy, generally hasn't, and that's what gives me pause.

I'l say this about Vandy: they're tremoundously talented and their best kids are veterans. 6 of the top 117 pics in the draft were Vandy kids and I know at least 4 more have been drafted. All 3 of their "weekend" SPs will be playing pro ball in a month.

Corbin has done a better job building a program there than I could have ever dreamed and I hope he stays there 60 years.

That said, it's time to take the next step and go to Omaha.

Realistically, it will be amazing if Oregon State even wins one game.

As you mentioned about the high draft picks...

Starting Pitcher Sonny Gray (11-3, 2.01 ERA) of Vanderbilt was drafted 18th overall in the 1st Round by the A's. Fellow Starting Pitcher Grayson Garvin (13-1, 2.37 ERA) was drafted 59th overall in the 1st Round Supplemental by the Rays. That's a formidable 1-2 to try to get a win off of. Add to that Vanderbilt's 29-4 record at home this season and it's really going to be difficult for Oregon State.

But, that's what Oregon State does best....the unexpected. They are still the only team to win the College World Series after losing their first game. Then to prove it wasn't a fluke, they won it the next season the normal way. They were to finish in the bottom half of the Pac-10 this season, as it was a rebuilding year. They had the Pac-10 title sewed up with a 3-game lead and 5 to play, but they lost 5 straight to end the year. Vanderbilt's on a roll, winning their Regional by a combined score of 26-2. Oregon State won all three of their Regional games, but played easier opponents. Traveling 2000 miles will exhaust them, but it is what it is. Oregon State's good at coming from behind in games. So, don't leave early. Their goal will be to get Gray and Garvin out of the games as soon as they can and try to rally in the late innings.....then win game three as Vanderbilt goes to their #3 pitcher if they can succeed at this in one of the first two games.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that Vanderbilt's Offense was the best in the SEC this year. Amazing that they were only the 6th overall seed in this tournament.

Kingspoint
06-10-2011, 05:40 PM
dabvu, Oregon State's chances almost went to nil after they learned that they'll be without their #2 pitcher, a guy who threw a no-hitter earlier this season, LHP Josh Osich. National Pitcher-of-the-Year finalist, Sam Gaviglio (12-2, 1.87 ERA) will have to try to outduel Vanderbilt's #1 pitcher in the opener tonight to give the Beavers a chance. Should be a great matchup. Game 2 will almost surely be won by Vanderbilt.

Kingspoint
06-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Florida takes out Mississippi 11-1 in the 1st Game of their regional.

North Carolina takes out Stanford 5-2 in the 1st Game of their regional.

Arizona State upsets Texas 3-1 in the 1st Game of their regional.

Oregon State @ Vanderbilt is underway. Vanderbilt quickly goes ahead 4-0 with clutch 2-out hitting. The Oregon State pitcher is looking like Volquez. After two quick outs, he gives up Walk, Walk, RBI-Single, RBI-Single, Walk, Visit-to-the-mound-from-the-Coach, 2-RBI-Single. OSU is getting crushed 11-0.

All games are on either ESPN, ESPN2, or ESPNU.

There are 8 games tomorrow (Saturday).

dabvu2498
06-11-2011, 01:28 AM
dabvu, Oregon State's chances almost went to nil after they learned that they'll be without their #2 pitcher, a guy who threw a no-hitter earlier this season, LHP Josh Osich. National Pitcher-of-the-Year finalist, Sam Gaviglio (12-2, 1.87 ERA) will have to try to outduel Vanderbilt's #1 pitcher in the opener tonight to give the Beavers a chance. Should be a great matchup. Game 2 will almost surely be won by Vanderbilt.

Felt bad for Gaviglo. The 2 out rallies caught Casey off guard and with no one in the bullpen. After the second Vandy outburst, Gaviglo just had to stay in there so they could save as much bullpen as possible.

Sonny Gray wasn't dominant but was more than good enough. Vandy is loose and confident.

Kingspoint
06-11-2011, 03:10 PM
Mississippi State upset Florida 4-3 today to force a Game 3 in that Super-Regional.

Virginia beat UC-Irvine 6-0 today to take Game 1 of that Super-Regional.

Texas A&M upset Florida State 6-2 today in Game 1 of that Super-Regional.

Kingspoint
06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Mississippi State upset Florida 4-3 today to force a Game 3 in that Super-Regional.

Virginia beat UC-Irvine 6-0 today to take Game 1 of that Super-Regional.

Texas A&M upset Florida State 6-2 today in Game 1 of that Super-Regional.

South Carolina took care of Connecticut 5-1 in Game 1 of their Super-Regional.

North Carolina beat Stanford 7-5 in Game 2 of their Super-Regional today to become the first team to claim a World Series spot in Omaha.

Texas upset Arizona State 5-1 today to send their Super-Regional to a deciding Game 3 tomorrow.

California dominated Dallas Baptist 7-0 in Game 1 today of their Super-Regional.

I'm quoting and updating the scores since the edit option is off.

dabvu2498
06-12-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm quoting and updating the scores since the edit option is off.

You didn't stay logged on long enough for the late game, eh? :)

Kingspoint
06-13-2011, 03:40 AM
You didn't stay logged on long enough for the late game, eh? :)

My girlfriend (OSU grad) came by and there was no sense in prolonging the misery as it was about 7-2 at the time. We watched something much more entertaining.

IslandRed
06-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Teams through to the CWS:

California (beat Dallas Baptist 7-0, 6-2)
South Carolina (beat Connecticut 5-1, 8-2)
Florida (beat Mississippi State 11-1, 3-4, 8-6)
Texas (beat Arizona State 1-3, 5-1, 4-2)
Vanderbilt (beat Oregon State 11-1, 9-3)
North Carolina (beat Stanford 5-2, 7-5)

Series tied up yesterday:

UC-Irvine 6, Virginia 4, deciding game today at 4 p.m.
Florida State 23, Texas A&M 9, deciding game today at 7 p.m.

dabvu2498
06-13-2011, 08:50 PM
If you don't like college baseball, find a way to watch a replay of the Irvine-UVa game from today and then tell me you don't like college baseball.

VottoFan54
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
UVA advanced to the CWS.
Texas A&M is beating Florida State 11-2 in the eighth.

VottoFan54
06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Beginning June 18 the CWS matchups are:

Bracket 1:

UNC vs Vandy
Texas vs Florida

Bracket 2:

Cal vs Virginia
South Carolina vs Texas A&M

dabvu2498
06-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Beginning June 18 the CWS matchups are:

Bracket 1:

UNC vs Vandy

Kevin Stallings' (Vandy hoops coach) son, Jacob, is the starting catcher at UNC.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/31863/vandy-coach-pulling-for-two-baseball-teams

VottoFan54
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Kevin Stallings' (Vandy hoops coach) son, Jacob, is the starting catcher at UNC.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/31863/vandy-coach-pulling-for-two-baseball-teams

I believe Jacob was drafted by the Reds.

Kingspoint
06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Pitching is dominating this World Series.

Kingspoint
06-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Super Regional schedule:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/2011-06-07/super-regional-sites-times-released

Charlottesville Super-Regional: UC Irvine vs Virginia (my prediction: Virginia)
Santa Clara Super-Regional: Dallas Baptist vs California (my prediction: California)
Tallahassee Super-Regional: Texas A&M vs Florida State (my prediction: Florida State)
Columbia Super-Regional: Connecticut vs South Carolina (my prediction: South Carolina)
Gainesville Super-Regional: Mississippi State vs Florida (my prediction: Florida)
Austin Super-Regional: Arizona State vs Texas (Probably the most evenly matched Super-Regional...should go three games) (my prediction: Arizona State)
Nashville Super-Regional: Oregon State vs Vanderbilt (my prediction: Oregon State)
Chapel Hill Super-Regional: Stanford vs North Carolina (my prediction: North Carolina)

My prediction to win it all: Florida

It's Florida vs South Carolina, best of three starting today in Omaha.

Kingspoint
06-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Pitching is dominating this World Series.

If the average of 7.6 runs per game heading into tonight's final (Florida vs South Carolina....best of three) holds up for this World Series, it will be the lowest total in the aluminum-bat era which began in 1974.

TheBigLebowski
06-27-2011, 07:51 PM
LET'S GO GA-TORS

dabvu2498
06-27-2011, 11:20 PM
This is a seriously great baseball game being played right now.

Kingspoint
06-28-2011, 04:17 AM
This is a seriously great baseball game being played right now.

Great baseball. South Carolina has now tied the NCAA World Series record with their 10th straight win. Florida still wins tomorrow to even up the series.

KronoRed
06-28-2011, 05:38 AM
Great baseball. South Carolina has now tied the NCAA World Series record with their 10th straight win. Florida still wins tomorrow to even up the series.

Not a chance, teams that fail to score runs with the bases loaded with no outs are done.

Kingspoint
06-29-2011, 01:28 AM
Congratulations to South Carolina on 11 straight World Series wins and back-to-back World Series Championships!

TheBigLebowski
06-29-2011, 07:49 AM
Those two games made me physically ill.

reds1869
06-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Those two games made me physically ill.

Those were two tremendous teams going at it. I know it stings but look on the bright side: at least you aren't an alum of two schools that have never even made it to Omaha. Not that I know anyone like that...

dabvu2498
06-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Those were two tremendous teams going at it. I know it stings but look on the bright side: at least you aren't an alum of two schools that have never even made it to Omaha. Not that I know anyone like that...

I don't have to say that anymore!!!

And I agree about those being two excellent teams. If they played 100 times, it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up 50-50.

TheBigLebowski
06-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Yeah, I am proud of the Gators & all, but that Friday night game was one of the toughest I can ever recall as a baseball fan.