PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fair offer for both sides?

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Any one of our Starting Pitchers plus any four players not currently on our 25-man roster in exchange for....

Felix Hernandez.

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 12:20 AM
In other words,

Starting Pitcher - Edison Volquez
Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B

....all for the reigning AL Cy Young Award Winner, who's under contract through 2015 @ $78M

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 12:21 AM
I'd even give them a pick of any two other non-25-man roster players not named Grandal.

camisadelgolf
04-12-2011, 02:40 AM
How do you alleviate the salary difference? Also, I'm hesitant to put together a package like that for any pitcher who has been ridden as hard as Hernandez. He's just an arm injury away from making that deal a disaster.

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 03:17 AM
How do you alleviate the salary difference? Also, I'm hesitant to put together a package like that for any pitcher who has been ridden as hard as Hernandez. He's just an arm injury away from making that deal a disaster.

How does one go about defeating a Phillie's team and a Giants' team and then a Ranger's team?

It takes a Felix Hernandez to beat them. That's a gauntlet right now to have to go through. If we're lucky, the Phillies face the Giants in the first round and we play someone else. But, we'll still have to face them before we get to Cliff Lee and the Rangers. Lee can win three games in a World Series the way they are stretched out. And, Hernandez is used to pitching in lousy weather when that's the kind of weather we'll get in Philadelphia and San Francisco in mid-to-late October. (It's miserably cold in Seattle all the time and for those who don't realize it, they don't have an enclosed dome. It's subject to the chill in the air coming off of Puget Sound.)

Fernandez has never had physical problems. They haven't overused him, either, during his career.

"King" Felix would pitch to sell-out crowds every night at home. That would bring in a lot of revenue. The "First Place" REDS would bring in more revenue on nights he isn't pitching. There would certainly be a big boost in merchandising of Felix Hernandez memorabilia. REDS' fans from 200 miles away, who haven't gone to a game in 20 years, all of a sudden start showing up, as this team would have power and pitching for the first time ever.

And, Cordero's contract ends this year, so there's $13M right there starting next year.

And, if they become "World Series Champions", or even "National League Champions"? That might bring in a huge rise in season tickets for 2012.

camisadelgolf
04-12-2011, 07:00 AM
If you keep going to the playoffs, you're going to win the Series eventually. Why give up several years of players who can help keep you at the top of the division to obtain someone who gives you a slightly better chance for just a couple years?

camisadelgolf
04-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Many people are saying that Votto will have priced himself out of town by 2014, so do you keep King Felix instead? Because I really doubt the Reds will be able to spend $40MM+ on just two players.

icehole3
04-12-2011, 08:04 AM
How does one go about defeating a Phillie's team and a Giants' team and then a Ranger's team?

It takes a Felix Hernandez to beat them. That's a gauntlet right now to have to go through. If we're lucky, the Phillies face the Giants in the first round and we play someone else. But, we'll still have to face them before we get to Cliff Lee and the Rangers. Lee can win three games in a World Series the way they are stretched out. And, Hernandez is used to pitching in lousy weather when that's the kind of weather we'll get in Philadelphia and San Francisco in mid-to-late October. (It's miserably cold in Seattle all the time and for those who don't realize it, they don't have an enclosed dome. It's subject to the chill in the air coming off of Puget Sound.)

Fernandez has never had physical problems. They haven't overused him, either, during his career.

"King" Felix would pitch to sell-out crowds every night at home. That would bring in a lot of revenue. The "First Place" REDS would bring in more revenue on nights he isn't pitching. There would certainly be a big boost in merchandising of Felix Hernandez memorabilia. REDS' fans from 200 miles away, who haven't gone to a game in 20 years, all of a sudden start showing up, as this team would have power and pitching for the first time ever.

And, Cordero's contract ends this year, so there's $13M right there starting next year.

And, if they become "World Series Champions", or even "National League Champions"? That might bring in a huge rise in season tickets for 2012.

Cliff Lee is with the Phillies

medford
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
In other words,

Starting Pitcher - Edison Volquez
Prospect #2 - Devin Mesoraco, C
Prospect #3 - Yorman Rodriguez, CF
Prospect #4 - Yonder Alonso, 1B

....all for the reigning AL Cy Young Award Winner, who's under contract through 2015 @ $78M

That seems like a ton to put all on one guy. I mean the money is one thing, but on top of that you're going to lose 4 guys you'll have under contract for all or most of King Felix's tenure, and then some.

For a team like the Yankees, something like this may make sense (though I suspect, like in most propossed deals, the prospects you proposse are significantly higher than what you'd find in an actual deal) since the Yankees can then go out and resign Felix past 2015 for big money. The Reds best plans, as a mid-market team are to build from within, keep as many cheap players as possible that can provide league average, or above league average production for the position they play.

StubbsFan#6
04-12-2011, 11:31 AM
I would give them as much as Grandel + YRod + 1 of Leake or Volquez + and 1 of Heisey or Francisco

StubbsFan#6
04-12-2011, 11:33 AM
The amount Felix would do for this team is breath taking. Simply put, he would put this team over the top. I have confidence that if we acquired King Felix we would be on our we the NL Championship and beyond for 3 + years

GOYA
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
We need a fantasy trade idea forum. This really doesn't have anything to do with the minor league teams.

Kingspoint
04-12-2011, 02:54 PM
We need a fantasy trade idea forum. This really doesn't have anything to do with the minor league teams.

It has to do with how willing are you to pull talent from the minor league system (and how much talent), just like any other "prospect" thread, or "who's your greatest trade bait" threads, in order to make the REDS competitive against the Phillies and Giants, because right now, they aren't.

So, instead of raining on a thread, what's your opinion? You were the first one to opine on the "Who's your Top Five Trade Pieces?" thread. It's a similar question, but is more specific. (You never answered that question in that thread, though, either, choosing rather to criticize "The Dark's" well-thought out opinion.)

GOYA
04-12-2011, 03:56 PM
The difference in the trade pieces thread and this one is that we were judging our talent and who we could let go. This is about a specific player you (and others) would like to see come to the Reds but have no realistic reason to think Seattle would be trading him.

You see me raining on this thread. I see you raining in this forum. This isn't a fantasy GM forum.