PDA

View Full Version : The last guy I want on the bump late in a close game

Redleg39
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
NICK MASSET! Another awful outing. Really discouraging as Masset has good enough stuff to get the job done but he's a choke artist right now

Redeye fly
04-13-2011, 10:50 PM
NICK MASSET! Another awful outing. Really discouraging as Masset has good enough stuff to get the job done but he's a choke artist right now

He was last year as well early in the season. He was awful for all of April and on into May. By the end of the year he was pretty darn good. He may just be one of those notorious slow starters.

RedsIn07
04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Nick Masset is a good baseball player, he just starts poorly and he won't get better unless he keeps going out there. See last year and his 2.3 ERA after April. Stop complaining, this isn't the end. Chances are this will all workout.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-13-2011, 10:53 PM
He's a slow starter, dusty should have pulled him when he got into trouble.
im not too worried about masset because he'll get it together.

im just highly upset that dusty kept him in the game.....

Carolina_Redleg
04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
I'm kind of upset that he keeps getting put out there in close games right now. I feel like he needs to get his ish together in more of a mop-up role first, and then ease back into the big time situations.

Maker_84
04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
i'm not as mad now that i think about it. Before this series i thought we would be swept due to our awful play in Arizona. But i agree Masset, Bruce, and Francisco all need sent down, none of them at this moment contribute anything to this team.

Mutaman
04-13-2011, 10:59 PM
Another problem is that Masset has never been the sharpest pencil in the box:

1. He comes in and totally ignores Hudson, lets him get a lead halfway to secong, which causes Hudson to eventually score the tying run.

2. This is the Padres, one of the worst offenses in baseball. None of them are very aggressive. This ballpark is like an aircraft carrier. Common sense- throw the fastball over the plate. Stop nibbling around with your offspeed stuff.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-13-2011, 11:04 PM
i'm not as mad now that i think about it. Before this series i thought we would be swept due to our awful play in Arizona. But i agree Masset, Bruce, and Francisco all need sent down, none of them at this moment contribute anything to this team.

no offense but that would be a stupid move..we havent even played a month of baseball and i question your baseball intelligence from this post...

no disrespect intended. ;)

Vottomatic
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Dusty strikes again!

Why can everyone else or atleast me see bad moves as he makes them, or feel something bad about to happen but Dusty doesn't????

I wanted Mike Leake pulled the other day before the HR was hit but Dusty stuck with him to help him get through the 5th inning for the win even though I predicted a HR and IT HAPPENED.

Why send the reliever that is struggling the most out in the most crucial point of the game???? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ondrusek is pitching really well. So is Bray and a few others. But Dusty has to stick with the "oh but Nick Masset is my 8th inning setup guy, so I have to send him out there" even though he is stinking up the joint everytime he goes out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Masset and think he will come around like last year..........but if he doesn't have it now WHY SEND HIM OUT THERE??????? Go figure. We have a manager who either won't change things up and go with the hot hand or doesn't realize this (which may be worse).

I continue to believe this team wins despite Dusty. I think they should have 2 more wins if not for a braindead manager. I question so many moves this guy makes and they usually blow up in his face and I'm usually right.

Frustrating.

Vottomatic
04-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Francisco surprised me in the field. He did a really good job defensively tonight including the intelligence part of knowing what play to make. He made all the right moves. I wish his hitting would come around.

Shawn_RedsFan
04-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Dusty strikes again!

Why can everyone else or atleast me see bad moves as he makes them, or feel something bad about to happen but Dusty doesn't????

I wanted Mike Leake pulled the other day before the HR was hit but Dusty stuck with him to help him get through the 5th inning for the win even though I predicted a HR and IT HAPPENED.

Why send the reliever that is struggling the most out in the most crucial point of the game???? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Ondrusek is pitching really well. So is Bray and a few others. But Dusty has to stick with the "oh but Nick Masset is my 8th inning setup guy, so I have to send him out there" even though he is stinking up the joint everytime he goes out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Masset and think he will come around like last year..........but if he doesn't have it now WHY SEND HIM OUT THERE??????? Go figure. We have a manager who either won't change things up and go with the hot hand or doesn't realize this (which may be worse).

I continue to believe this team wins despite Dusty. I think they should have 2 more wins if not for a braindead manager. I question so many moves this guy makes and they usually blow up in his face and I'm usually right.

Frustrating.

my thoughts exactly. thank you :beerme:

signalhome
04-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Now let's not go overboard. Sending down someone who was a 5.3 WAR player last year (Bruce) just because he's off to a slow start at the plate would be a gross overreaction. Masset also posted an 11.75 ERA in April last year. Monthly ERA after April? 3.75, 3.18, 0.64, 0.53, 4.35. This year will likely end up the same way.

Twelve games have been played, and now is not the time to panic and make such rash decisions. I am just as disappointed with Bruce and Masset as you are, but we have to remember that the season is young and the sample size is small. Both players will come around, just give it time.

Mutaman
04-14-2011, 01:03 AM
Didn't Votto strike out his last ime up? I think we should send him to Louisville until he gets it together. And last year there was a game where Baker kept Arroyo in too long and he gave up a run. That should convince everyone one we win despite Baker.

Mutaman
04-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Dusty strikes again!

From where I'm sitting you only see the bad moves after they've happened.

Vottomatic
04-14-2011, 07:39 AM
From where I'm sitting you only see the bad moves after they've happened.

Why? Because I'm not sitting at my computer typing my predictions before they happen?

I have a life. I work 2 jobs and I'm raising a 16 year old daughter on my own.

Believe me........I predict all the things I say, even if I'm not doing it on here.

Vottomatic
04-14-2011, 07:41 AM
Didn't Votto strike out his last ime up? I think we should send him to Louisville until he gets it together. And last year there was a game where Baker kept Arroyo in too long and he gave up a run. That should convince everyone one we win despite Baker.

I'm not wanting to send anyone down. Just play the hot hands until the guys struggling get their acts together. It's not fair to the rest of the team to put Masset in a crucial situation and fail, where it loses the game.

Who Dey Time
04-14-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not wanting to send anyone down. Just play the hot hands until the guys struggling get their acts together. It's not fair to the rest of the team to put Masset in a crucial situation and fail, where it loses the game.

Dusty tends to give his players more leeway and keep them longer in their designated roles. It's clear Chapman is the 7th inning guy, Masset in the 8th and Coco in the 9th.

Same thing with the regulars.

While it may be frustrating in the short term, obviously Masset couldn't get me out right now, IMO its a very good strategy and helps the players over the course of the entire season. Just look at last season.

Mutaman
04-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Why? Because I'm not sitting at my computer typing my predictions before they happen?

I have a life. I work 2 jobs and I'm raising a 16 year old daughter on my own.

Believe me........I predict all the things I say, even if I'm not doing it on here.

I told my bookie after the Super Bowl that I really predicted that the Packers would cover, I was just too busy to get a bet down. For some reason, he refused to pay off.